Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
gobelins
29 Mar 20 16:23
| Topic/replies: 826 | Blogger: gobelins's blog
The season was 1990/91, and S.Hendry had just won his 1st world title at the Crucible in May 1990. He won 5 of the 8 ranking events played in 1990/91, including a 16-15 defeat of S.Davis in the UK final - as well as The Masters, the Scottish Masters and The matchroom league.

It's worth bearing in mind how relatively few ranking events were played when S.Davis and S.Hendry dominated. This season there were 19 events classed as ranking events on the calendar (ranking events in China and India were cancelled, and the Tour Championship and World Championship postponed). J.Trump has won 6 of them cementing his place as the dominant player of this era, but it makes you wonder how many S.Hendry would have won at his peak.
Pause Switch to Standard View The season S.Hendry won 5 ranking events
Show More
Report gobelins April 1, 2020 8:16 PM BST
In total S.Hendry won 39 of the 42 ranking event matches he played during this season. As well as beating S.Davis in the UK final, he won The Masters final 9-8 against M.Hallett from 2-8 behind. And, in one of his ranking event wins - The Dubai Classic, he dropped only 5 frames in 6 matches including a 9-1 defeat of Davis in the final. So, while J.Trump is rightly acclaimed for winning 6 ranking titles this season, it's debateable whether his is actually the greater achievement - although Hendry didn't retain his World title, whereas Trump still might.
Report wisewords April 2, 2020 5:49 PM BST
I make Hendry's achievement greater at the current moment, but if Trump retains his World title I'll change my mind
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com