Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ZEALOT
23 Apr 19 09:18
| Topic/replies: 826 | Blogger: ZEALOT's blog
Can't stand the sound of his voice and he seems to speak excessively . Absolute mutant
Pause Switch to Standard View ALAN McMANUS is ruining the snooker...
Show More
Report Angoose April 23, 2019 10:20 AM BST
Doesn't work too well with mime though Shocked
Report wondersobright April 23, 2019 11:12 AM BST
I like him & in a recent twitter poll of snooker comms he came out top, with hendry 2nd & foulds 3rd

so you are in the minority
Report deadbrain59 April 23, 2019 11:16 AM BST
och eye the nooGrin
Report starkeycars April 23, 2019 1:09 PM BST
Suuuch a sexy shot soooo smooth like silk soooo sweet Cry
Report deadbrain59 April 23, 2019 5:25 PM BST
a weee dram och eye
Report The Management April 23, 2019 6:18 PM BST
Best in the game imo - sheer poetry.
Report BornToWin April 24, 2019 3:51 PM BST
I find his tone a little too **** erotic, which disturbs me.

Does say a little too much at times and is a bit all knowing for a 1 time major winner.
Report BornToWin April 24, 2019 3:52 PM BST
Oh. H0M0 is a banned word. My bad.
Report alfee April 25, 2019 1:03 AM BST
Agree with Zealot/BTW,  The Art of Commentary is to Know when Ta Say NOWT !!!,  And Trying To Be perspicacious Over And Over is Just Plain Boring .
Report moondan April 25, 2019 3:20 PM BST
I cannot see him lasting much longer.

When he is on its volume off.

He try,s to be clever but just does not get it.  Somebody should insert a blunt kyber up his rear and twist with relish.
Report the penguin April 27, 2019 11:32 AM BST
When i first saw this post i thought it was unfair but now he is unbearable
Report Gin April 27, 2019 3:21 PM BST
He's copied Dennis Taylor's trait of calling shots in or out and invariably gets it wrong half the time.
Report moondan April 27, 2019 3:41 PM BST
A top class snooker player but he should leave his heeper jeeper nonsense in the playground with the 6 year olds, its out of place in snooker commentary.
Listen to his betters and thats just about everyone, especially Hendry.

He wont catch on, its the wrong age group and certainly the wrong sport.
Report peckerdunne April 27, 2019 10:20 PM BST
He would be great on the radio.........Grin

I hope you are better than fair Moon, good to see you around old timer.........Grin
Report mikeycoxn1 April 27, 2019 11:04 PM BST
I think he is a good addition.

Every time I get a chance to watch a bit of the snooker I seem to get dismal Dennis. Every time. Chuntering on about how many centuries, or mark selby’s Wife, patsy fagan etc I have to mute the tv.

Give me angles over him every time
Report GRANTCKING April 28, 2019 1:49 AM BST
anyone who hates angles in the booth isnt a snooker fan imo, hes absolute gold, awwwww thats a sweet shot, its purrrrrfect, a lipsmacker!!
Report gjohn101 April 28, 2019 9:04 AM BST
He's a good lad..only quibble is player pots a fairly run of mill ball and angles goes "aww what a shoaatt that is...might nae have looked much but i tell you that was a beaauutty" a bit too much for my liking. Top notch otherwise.
Report RozelKid April 30, 2019 2:16 PM BST
doing a great job is Angles
Report ZEALOT April 30, 2019 2:28 PM BST
What the hell has happened to Willie Thorne ?
Report moondan April 30, 2019 6:37 PM BST
My Mrs hates Angles and Birdbrain and to get them on the same commentary team has kept her so busy emptying my sick bucket divorce is a real threat.

Willie was one of the best and hope we listen to him soon, very much missed by this snooker fan.  It has crossed my mind that maybe he upset Davis and his master complaining about the size of pockets. He has a long history of trying to keep the game honest.Plain
Report BARROWBOY April 30, 2019 7:03 PM BST
I suspect willies private life became a little too colourful for the bbc.
Report wondersobright April 30, 2019 7:17 PM BST
dropping the F bomb on air as well

WT much missed here Sad

JV & WT superb partnership together over the years imo
Report theres only one best tonic May 1, 2019 12:16 PM BST
The great WT soon to appear in The Full Monty on ITV. A different kind of ball control required there
Report FatherMaguire May 1, 2019 6:26 PM BST
McManus is ace - watch most of my snooker on Eurosport and ITV4 and he has been up with the best for years - Taylor is the one I cannot abide, terrible commentator
Report moondan May 2, 2019 12:09 PM BST
I must be going senile I could have sworn he was on bbc.

Talking of bad vibes and their causes I take no pleasure in saying that it was certainly a good vibe that Robbo had his butt kicked and his style will not spoil what is usually the best 5 days in the snooker calender.

My prayers were answered by a true great who did not feel the need to check and recheck the angles of every ball and cluster and just got on with the game.
I take no pleasure in complaining about a player that has only recently tried to give the impression he is the new great that is going to take the game to a new high. He is not in that class.

Nothing would give me more pleasure than to see Robbo return to his natural best.   Snooker is not rocket science and in my 50 years of being hooked on the game I cannot think of a previous player who felt the need to visit and revisit every lay of the table.
This practice probably cost him the title.
There is absolutely no doubt that Hearn and Davis want to speed up the game because they feel the crowd want every frame to
deliver a century. They could not be more wrong and in the end, the manipulation  of the table will cost them the true fan of the game.
Report wondersobright May 2, 2019 12:27 PM BST
angles is the rarest of birds in that he works for all 3

only on BBC for the worlds though
Report trebor May 2, 2019 12:44 PM BST
Neil Robertson average shot time is 22.22 and John Higgins is 23.06
Report gobelins May 2, 2019 1:25 PM BST
trebor -N.Robertson's average shot time was 27 seconds in that QF match. That is a significant increase on his usual tempo, and worthy of note when assessing why he lost the match.
Report moondan May 2, 2019 7:17 PM BST
Every shot and situation deserves consideration but Robbo has preened around like a peacock and a low class amateur.  This seems more about him trying to give the  impression he is a newborn tactical genius.

Far better he stops looking for problems that are non-existant and returns to a style that won him the world title all those years ago.

Hendry was not a tactical genius----he kept things simple, and nobody has done it better.

Ronnie always puts Hendry first and with good reason, they are both a breed apart.
Report gjohn101 May 2, 2019 7:37 PM BST
gobelins    02 May 19 13:25 
trebor -N.Robertson's average shot time was 27 seconds in that QF match. That is a significant increase on his usual tempo, and worthy of note when assessing why he lost the match.

Agree on that, very telling stat. Spoke a little while back of how he was consciously trying to keep his average shot time down (c.18 seconds i think he said) but the true test of that was always going to come when he was put under the cosh and not so easily able to find his preferred attacking style and fluency. Think that was always the main question mark over him.
Report gobelins May 2, 2019 9:09 PM BST
Absolutely gj. If you look at N.Robertson's record here since he won the title in 2010, he has reached the one-table set-up only once in 9 visits (and he has lost in Round one - 4 times). He has made a conscious effort to quicken his tempo, primarily due to his defeats here where he has been forced to play more slowly, due to becoming engaged in more tactical exchanges than he'd ideally like. Since he won here he has generally been found wanting when put under sustained pressure, and his increased average shot time against J.Higgins was evidence that he wasn't playing (or wasn't allowed to play) at his natural pace. Ordinarily, I wouldn't pay too much notice to average shot times, but Robertson has cited this several times as a reason for his recent improvement.
Report peckerdunne May 2, 2019 9:27 PM BST
What a fluke fest......................incredible..beyond belief...........
Report FredRescue May 2, 2019 9:28 PM BST
Proper sh1tty snooker
Report gjohn101 May 2, 2019 9:47 PM BST
Yeah gobe, i think thats all spot on. Its a bit like trump with the safety play, saying you're going to change your style and adapt to a tactical game is never the same as actually following through on it effectively when it comes to the heat of battle. You tend to simply revert to the old habits at crunch time. Same with robbo and the shot times, as soon as things got a little fraught, you wondered if he'd get bogged down and start overthinking things as he's prone to do from time to time. I think that was at least partly the case yesterday anyway.
Report gjohn101 May 2, 2019 9:49 PM BST
Btw was very interested to hear foulds criticising judds cue action on eurosport earlier, called it "flawed" which i thought was an interesting choice of word. I guess he feels that judds technique is liable to break down more easily under pressure than a player with a more classical action. Thought he definitely did look a bit suspect on some shots tonight for sure.
Report trebor May 2, 2019 9:58 PM BST
Judds Cue action has been getting progressively worse for ages, is bound to let him down when the pressure is really on, he has always had the problem to a lesser extent, comes from when he first started playing, his elbow and hand where both the same distance from the ground for his first few years he played as he was too short for a normal full size table.
Report trebor May 2, 2019 10:02 PM BST
Everyone who plays Higgins will find their shot time get longer, it's just how it is playing that type of player. I always feel it is a disadvantage to be a quick player as you get more effected by your opponents player than the slower player does.
Report gobelins May 2, 2019 10:04 PM BST
I do think Trump has realised (finally) that he needs an effective B-game. He was really poor tonight, but he has got out of a session he was generally 2nd best in at 4-4. But, I agree, it will be interesting to see how he approaches the 50-50 shots if it's 13-13/14-14 etc, and the pressure is at its highest (he hit a few pressure shots tonight far too hard). You'd imagine he will have at least one session where his class will see him take control, but as we've said, more than once, he is also vulnerable when kept under pressure here.
Report trebor May 2, 2019 10:11 PM BST
But Judd was not playing so poor that he could not have won that session tonight, probably 6-2 if he had played proper snooker, he plays just so loose, that green he took on and the next red where stupid shots, he sees long matches as a chance to play naughty snooker, plenty of time to catch up if he falls behind.
Report gobelins May 2, 2019 10:22 PM BST
Fair point trebor, but I'd imagine G.Wilson is the more unhappy with 4-4 overnight, whereas he'd have happily taken that before the start. I thought that Trump's technique was absolutely all over the place at last year's championship, but it has been less visible this season - although maybe his success has been the reason it has gone relatively un-noticed. But, as we know, there's no hiding place at The Crucible, and any weaknesses are likely to be found out.
Report trebor May 2, 2019 10:42 PM BST
There's technique and there's form, Judd has been in form the last few months, but I have never seen his technique as  poor as it has been this season, we would all love to play as well as he can and we probably think that the Mind/Head should be easier to get rite, but if Judd could get himself to play really tuff match snooker he would have won so much more than he already has. He needs to bottle the way he played Kyren at the Masters this year, that was the best match play snooker I have seen him play in years.
Report lewisham ranger May 3, 2019 12:15 AM BST
judd has gears that the other three players left don't possess. maybe Higgins had those gears at one point but that's gone now.

he (judd) played about as poorly as he could play and he's still tied 4-4. gary was feeding off his mistakes but doubt he'll be able to win the match just doing that alone. he'll make mistakes himself as the match goes on.

agree though that judd does make some strange mistakes. like in some of those concluding frames this evening I was thinking why not just play a safety, as gary wasn't winning any of those safety battles. or just slow down on a pot. like when the brown was stopping one of the reds in the far corner, so judd turned around and tried to pot another red, but didn't take any time over it. a bit more composure is needed. you need to own the moment (tiger in the masters should be his blueprint)
Report crepello May 3, 2019 7:32 AM BST
Judd is no Tiger and never will be - he was fortunate to get out of that session even - on the face of it he should dominate the three opponents left in the tournament but he is flaky as well as brilliant - who knows which Judd will turn up this morning - the championship is there for the taking but has he got the nerve to handle it?

Probably, possibly, well he might ..... but then again - fascinating stuff.

In spite of the bucket pockets I have really enjoyed the tournament and am looking forward to the last four days.

There will be some moments of real drama ...............
Report lewisham ranger May 3, 2019 8:46 AM BST
I didn't say he was a tiger, I'm suggesting that he should use the way tiger composed himself in his final round at the masters as a blueprint for how trump should act at the crucible.
Report lewisham ranger May 3, 2019 8:48 AM BST
and trump is playing in the afternoon, not in the morning.
Report crepello May 3, 2019 8:51 AM BST
lewisham ranger    03 May 19 08:46 
I didn't say he was a tiger, I'm suggesting that he should use the way tiger composed himself in his final round at the masters as a blueprint for how trump should act at the crucible.

Fair enough lr - I did think after I posted that that it gave the wrong impression - apologies.

Also, I am wrong about him playing this morning apparently ....

I need to go back to bed and get up again!!!!
Report gobelins May 3, 2019 9:19 AM BST
trebor - Im interested in your comments regarding J.Trump's technique, particularly as N.Foulds discussed it - which I missed. When you say it is as bad as you've seen this season, what would you do? He has established (or re-established) himself as a top 3 player this season, and his 1st session hammering of R.O'Sullivan in The Masters final was arguably the performance of his life. We've recently seen K.Wilson make changes to his technique and, although it's a lengthy process, his game has regressed as a result. At The Crucible last year, Trump didn't look like he was hitting the centre of the cue ball to me, and was visibly hitting across the cue ball when he was close to a cushion. I was amazed he almost beat J.Higgins in a tight QF. So, in short, I'm asking, are these faults correctable, in a relatively short space of time and would he definitely become a better player for making changes?
Report moondan May 3, 2019 5:56 PM BST
Nice to see the pockets look tighter than they have done, makes it much more likely that the better player will win.

It also shows respect for the game and the fans.
Report gjohn101 May 3, 2019 5:56 PM BST
Have to admit i'm definitely no expert when it comes to cue actions so just when i heard foulds describe judd's as "flawed" i found it interesting. Of course i doubt judd himself would agree with that assessment or that he needs to make any changes. And its too easy to suggest that when judd starts missing shots it's all down to his technique, even rolls royce cue actions like robbos or dave gilberts will break down due to pressure from time to time.

The comment about judd having his b game is a pertinent one, problem was at times today he didnt even have his b game and was a bit fortunate he didnt get punished for it. He's in control now and should win, but i definitely wouldnt trust him with my life or anything.
Report wondersobright May 3, 2019 6:05 PM BST
john if you look down the line of the shot you will see judd lines his cue up at an angle
its defo not textbook & is certainly prone to malfunction
Report trebor May 3, 2019 6:44 PM BST
What would I do? if I was Judd I would work on it as soon as this championship is over, but my guess is Judd will do put the cue away for a while, and have a holiday, he misses Australia each year now so he really has quite a few months if he wanted to work on it.

I think too many of the 'professional snooker players' are the least professional of any sportspeople, how you can expect to play with any consistently if you can not even aim the cue in the rite direction is beyond me, would think this SightRite method is just the thing Judd should be using. many players saying it has shown big improvements in their game, I am just suppressed it has taken so long for it to catch on in snooker as golfers have been using a similar method since the 70's.

Aim correctly and you do not have to make compensations in the cue action, aim incorrectly and you HAVE TO and under real pressure it will find you out.
Report gjohn101 May 3, 2019 9:45 PM BST
Oh yeah wonders i'm well aware of the peculiarities of judds cue action, but i wouldnt deem myself sufficiently qualified to say definitively that its "flawed" as foulds does, though like i said i would have utmost respect for most of what neal says. I'm pretty sure, though, that judd himself would bristle at such an analysis or that he needs to make any radical changes in his technique. I think he may well have said as much in the past. Could well be wrong about it of course.
Report elisjohn June 6, 2019 9:20 PM BST
bit late, but can anyone inform me why terry griffiths wasnt commentating in sheffield this year
Report Latalomne June 7, 2019 11:53 AM BST
He's said he's going to take a step back from the coaching and travelling, so possibly his decision?
Report elisjohn June 7, 2019 7:48 PM BST
thanks, terry my fav commentator on  bbc. virgo overdoing wheres the black ball going  , davies, these are the tightest middle pockets , then parrot the standard so high  , taylor , what lovely family everyone are, ebdon pathetic, hendry ok ,  angles . the same as op         actually i missed willie this year  ,
Report ZEALOT March 1, 2020 2:23 PM GMT
You would think he had won 7 world titles the way he goes on . He was an awful player .
Report peckerdunne March 1, 2020 4:04 PM GMT
babble babble babble from the couch with Dr mAngles............
Report gobelins March 1, 2020 6:07 PM GMT
ZEALOT - he did win The Masters (beat S.Hendry in the final), reached 3 World semi-finals, and 3 UK semi-finals, so he does speak with some authority, and he is the best commentator/summariser in the business for me.
Report peckerdunne March 1, 2020 6:29 PM GMT
He wouldn't know a summary if it bit him on the arris.
Report peckerdunne March 1, 2020 6:31 PM GMT
A never ending monologue, he's gifted in that department.

Even on the shot he just can't STFU.........
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com