Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
gobelins
03 May 18 07:10
| Topic/replies: 836 | Blogger: gobelins's blog
So, as we approach Day 13 - the 4 remaining players head towards the one-table set up. This is unknown territory for K.Wilson, and his ability to adjust quickly to the one-table set up may be a significant factor. He was no more than workmanlike in beating M.Stevens and J.Jones, but he stepped up massively in beating M.Allen 13-6 in the QF. There was a spell in the second session where Wilson didn’t look like he could miss. He said afterwards he sensed Allen was tired, and he really put his foot down to effectively end the match in 2 sessions. His cue ball control towards the end of that session was as good as we’ve seen all tournament. So far, he has not really been tested but that looks about to change against a J.Higgins who showed just why he’s been at the top of the game for so long last night turning a 9-11 deficit into a 13-12 win against J.Trump. From 9-11 to 12-11 Higgins played almost flawless snooker, under huge pressure, and his joy in the interviews afterwards showed someone who is still relishing the challenge. He was kept under pressure all match by Trump, and it is possible he may struggle early on today to match the same level of intensity he had to show yesterday. Higgins beat Wilson comfortably when they met here in the QF last year 13-6, but a much closer contest looks on the cards this time around. The early 2/1+ Wilson on here has been snapped up, but he still looks a little overpriced at 9/5.

The other SF sees a very even looking contest between M.Williams and B.Hawkins. Williams has gone through the draw almost unnoticed, but that is primarily due to the ease of progress. He must be thinking that maybe this is his year given an unexpected resurgence in his form this season, which has seen him win 2 ranking events. He now uses the sightright method, so successfully employed by S.Bingham, and he looks a far more compact player than he did before. He has also benefitted hugely from defeats to N.Robertson and R.O’Sullivan in earlier rounds which has seen him play far easier opponents than he would have imagined. B.Hawkins stepped up a level, on what he has produced so far in beating a strangely subdued Ding 13-5 in his QF. Hawkins showed his irritation afterwards that he hasn’t been given the credit for a string of high class performances here, but his record speaks for itself, and nobody who follows the game under-estimates just how strong a match-player he is. That said, he has massively under-performed at the one table set-up, which has stemmed from a poor opening session in his 5 matches when there is only 1 table (he has trailed 2-6 on 3 occasions, and 3-5 on the other 2). This looks a very tight call between 2 evenly matched players, and I’m a bit surprised that Hawkins starts a 6/5 underdog. That said, it’s not quite big enough to warrant a bet given I have him outright.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 29  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 29 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 1,133
By:
seaside
When: 03 May 18 07:55
Well done

You have given some good write ups.
By:
gjohn101
When: 03 May 18 08:31
Whatever about his one table record, the Hawkins price still looks off to me. When he sees that, and no doubt he will, I think it will just add to his determination to finish the job. Looks to be a man in a mission this year. Has played stiffer opposition than Mark and had extra day to prepare. Hope I don’t put the hex on him now but looks good for the final I reckon.
By:
appformat
When: 03 May 18 08:35
think Wilson will get to the final, hopefully to play Barry
I'd be surprised if Higgins can keep that level up... Wilson has a very decent safety game as well
By:
gjohn101
When: 03 May 18 08:52
Higgins did look a bit beat after his match last night, Trump did at least make him dig as deep as he’s had to go for a while. Could enable Wilson to build an early lead and you’d think he will need it.
By:
GRANTCKING
When: 03 May 18 10:19
a higgins/mark J final would be pretty cool
By:
gobelins
When: 03 May 18 10:40
I may have over-stated the possible effect of the one table set up gj, but it is a concern (to me at least). I'd be happy if The Hawk gets out of tonight's session 4-4, and he has established a foothold in the match. In fairness 4 of those 5 matches were against R.O'Sullivan twice, J.Higgins and S.Murphy, but having backed here for a few years you get to notice small things, and he has definitely not settled in these matches. Whether that be down to being the sole objective of attention or it is simply that he has been outplayed by better opposition I don't know. If the match was played on the 2 table set-up I'd make him favourite.
By:
stu
When: 03 May 18 10:44
I believe Allen handed Wilson his last match, and that (likely) won't happen here against Higgins - there is the 'fatigue' factor to consider, but he must also be on something of a high too after winning that game, and I believe Wilson won't quite cut it under this level of single table pressure. With my record this year, I'm just hoping to get one right for once though!
By:
stu
When: 03 May 18 10:47
In addition on 'fatigue' we should perhaps also remember how easy Higgins previous matches were.
By:
gjohn101
When: 03 May 18 10:50
Thats the thing gobe. Even if you include the drubbings he’s got in other big finals, they’ve come against the likes of Selby and Ronnie who have the guns to blow anyone away. Does 2018 MJW have the artillery to do that? Can’t see it personally. To me he’s a lock for the final though, to be fair, I haven’t called this tournament all that well to be kind about it!
By:
dlarssonf
When: 03 May 18 11:19
Wilson seems to be the forum darling but personally I don't think he is all that. He played one session well against mug allen who gives up far too easily and has no fight in him whatsoever.  Wilson v Jones was terrible snooker, yes honest John will probably make a mugfest out of the semi as usually he plays to his opponents level ,be that good or bad but cannot see him losing this match.

Although it will really bug me if honest John gets another titleSad
By:
johnnythebull
When: 03 May 18 11:32
can't see past JH now..he may not have the natural ability of some but he is one hell of a hard guy to beat
for me,against Judd not only did he manifest unparalleled steadfastness but starting playing to a pretty high level taking on far from easy pots and getting them under extreme pressure
can't see him not making the final
bazza & MJW lovely,silky players to watch but one is like a rabbit in the headlights under pressure & the other is a slob
By:
stu
When: 03 May 18 11:45
slob Laugh

Don't mince the words there johnny! What exactly does that mean though...?
By:
alfee
When: 03 May 18 11:46
The Betting looks Wrong in both semi's, We Will See!, AnyHoWs Wilsons long game will have higgins on toast,  and in t'other  Barry will send williams to sleep with his hypnotic Robotic style .
By:
stu
When: 03 May 18 11:51
Could be right alfee if Wilson's long game shows up - it was awful early on against Allen.
By:
SabineIsGOAT
When: 03 May 18 12:22

May 3, 2018 -- 4:19AM, GRANTCKING wrote:

a higgins/mark J final would be pretty cool

Yeah if it was 15 years ago

Pretty uninteresting final 4, snooker could probably do with Wilson winning it and becoming a top player

By:
wondersobright
When: 03 May 18 12:48
higgins/mjw final is NOT required here

snooker is crying out for people like kyren to actually fkin win something
By:
stu
When: 03 May 18 12:50
Perhaps so, but if the youngsters aren't good enough, that's tough.
By:
gjohn101
When: 03 May 18 12:52
Not Higgins or MJW's fault if da kids cant pass them out. Instructive to hear how little respect Selby has for ding on e'sport the other night. Williams must wake up every morning wondering how the f... he can still be so competitive these days. Think he's second on the one year ranking list this season. Not that i want it but that final line up is a definite possibility.
By:
wondersobright
When: 03 May 18 12:52
if the youngsters aren't good enough then the overall standard within the sport is declining

and that's not a good place for the sport to be in
By:
BornToWin
When: 03 May 18 12:58
Hawkins always seems to be underrated. Carter made plenty of errors (back to normal after his final), and I think Baz should be a 5/6 poke not 6/5.

I expect him to win comfortably.

As I said last night I see Higgins having a hangover, if he can stay with Wilson this afternoon he will be winning this I feel.
By:
johnnythebull
When: 03 May 18 12:59
standard's never been higher..never had so many centuries on tough tables with treacle like cloths

behave yourself..wonders..what reason can you possibly have for doubting what those who know what they're talking about are telling you?Grin
By:
Latalomne
When: 03 May 18 13:01

May 3, 2018 -- 4:50AM, gjohn101 wrote:

Thats the thing gobe. Even if you include the drubbings he’s got in other big finals, they’ve come against the likes of Selby and Ronnie who have the guns to blow anyone away. Does 2018 MJW have the artillery to do that? Can’t see it personally. To me he’s a lock for the final though, to be fair, I haven’t called this tournament all that well to be kind about it!

I've not looked at Bazza's record against the big guns in finals overall, but the one against Selby prior to this was anything but being blown away, as the scoreline might suggest.  Baz had an absolute bucketload of really good chances and butchered almost all of them.

By:
wondersobright
When: 03 May 18 13:05

May 3, 2018 -- 6:59AM, johnnythebull wrote:

standard's never been higher..never had so many centuries on tough tables with treacle like clothsbehave yourself..wonders..what reason can you possibly have for doubting what those who know what they're talking about are telling you?

Grin

By:
SabineIsGOAT
When: 03 May 18 13:06

May 3, 2018 -- 6:52AM, wondersobright wrote:

if the youngsters aren't good enough then the overall standard within the sport is decliningand that's not a good place for the sport to be in

yeah this

By:
differentdrum
When: 03 May 18 13:07
I backed the two outsiders at the quarter final stage and I don't think there is any reason to jump ship at this stage.

Yes, Higgins did play some great pressure shots last night but he didn't score that heavily in the match and he needed a couple of bits of good running to finally get over the line. I think there is more pressure on him than Wilson as he will see this as possibly his last chance. If Wilson stays close I think he will shade it.

Hawkins is arguably playing the best snooker of the four. He should be going into this match with a good deal of confidence despite the head to head. It is a mystery to me why Williams has such a good record against him. How many of those have been over this sort of distance? Again for all that he might want to play it down Williams might also view this as a last chance. If Hawkins gets out in front I can't see Williams having enough to peg him back.
By:
peckerdunne
When: 03 May 18 13:11
Come on Kyren race away from this tired old man.............Grin
By:
wondersobright
here here pecker
By:
wondersobright
my last bullet to nail higgins
By:
peckerdunne
When: 03 May 18 13:12
PEP IN STEP

1 ZIP KYREN  Laugh
By:
BornToWin
When: 03 May 18 13:13
Kyren appears to me to hit the ball harder than anyone, as exhibited by his first shot Laugh
By:
wondersobright
When: 03 May 18 13:17
big misjudgement Sad
By:
wondersobright
When: 03 May 18 13:21
what's he played for there??
By:
wondersobright
When: 03 May 18 13:24
punish him kyren
By:
thepunter
When: 03 May 18 13:26
Easy clearance and lost position after 7 pts...needs to settle down quickly, this is the session to take a lead, otherwise its over. Higgins will be 100% tomorrow.
By:
DirkDiggler
When: 03 May 18 13:26
Poor strategy from Wilson there, 1st frame, should have got a few balls potted, and worried about the black a little later.
By:
wondersobright
When: 03 May 18 13:27
looks nervous
By:
BornToWin
When: 03 May 18 13:30
3 chance frame for Higgins, affording a tap in missed brown. Ominous for Wilson.
By:
stu
When: 03 May 18 13:32
Who is the bellend with the cough - why on earth would you go to this event with a terrible cough...Cry
By:
DirkDiggler
When: 03 May 18 13:33
Ken spot on there!
Page 1 of 29  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 29 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo