Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
gobelins
06 Dec 17 23:43
| Topic/replies: 836 | Blogger: gobelins's blog
This once revered tournament has been played since 1977, and surely there's never been a worse renewal. But, why?

A) The standard is so much better than it has ever been which means the lower ranked players can consistently beat the top seeds on their day.

B) It's just a freak year, which comes along every now and then, and this is one of those years.

C) The tournament is now, unfortunately, just like any other tournament which pays no respect to its rich history and traditional standing in the snooker calendar. Instead, it is merely sandwiched between numerous nondescript events which have already been forgotten, ensuring no rest for the players and a standard which is depressingly poor (despite the age-old, red-herring, reference to the amount of centuries scored).

The unfortunate thing is that if R.O'Sullivan plays S.Murphy in the final we'll be told by Hearn and the BBC 'experts' that despite all the shocks the cream always rises to the top in this event.

Roll on...The Masters.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 55
By:
wondersobright
When: 07 Dec 17 00:38
gobelins

the standard is as low as I have known it in years

the pockets are a total abomination - no other word to describe them

the result is the standard required to pot balls, and hence make breaks, and hence win frames is LESS than if the pockets were set up properly, and the result is that relative mugs can compete with better players, particularly in a short match format (which is nearly every tournament)

saw the king v higgins match today
a match of p1ss poor standard, I lost count of the number of balls that king potted off the wide open flaps
and as for higgins, the less said about him the better
By:
wondersobright
When: 07 Dec 17 00:43
I think if you asked 100 snooker fans, at least 90 would say the game has gone backwards under hearn

there are only 2 sets of people who have benefited imo...

1. the nobodys of the professional snooker player ranks, who are now getting a borderline living from being bang average at best and exposure and spotlight that they absolutely do not merit
2. hearn and his cronies pocketing the asian money as the asian interest in the game grows with much more (mostly bang average) asian players at tournaments nowadays
By:
wondersobright
When: 07 Dec 17 00:45
the UK championship has long been considered 1 of the 3 majors, the triple crown, alongside the masters and the worlds

I'm afraid the UK championship in its present guise is a shadow of its former self, in fact I'd go as far as to say its fkin criminal how its been dismantled and downgraded to what it is today compared to years ago Sad rant over
By:
thegiggilo
When: 07 Dec 17 02:13
Dreadful stuff,stopped watching it once the better players went out,going to be a love in with parrott and davis constantly talking about o'sullivan vomit inducing,beating up a load of bottling mugs..
By:
wondersobright
When: 07 Dec 17 18:45
Shaun Murphy says being only one of two remaining seeds in this year's UK Championship is no surprise given the strength in depth on tour.
Murphy, 35, was a comfortable 6-1 winner over Ricky Walden in the fourth round to ensure he and Ronnie O'Sullivan are the only two seeds still involved.
The 2008 champion, who plays Mark King in the quarter-finals on Friday evening, said: "It doesn't get any easier.
"Everything is so good. The younger and lower-ranked players are all great snooker players as well. The shocks don't shock me.

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh pmsl!!!!!!!!!! barry will be pleased
By:
BornToWin
When: 07 Dec 17 20:49
In 10 years (maybe less) we will have mainly bang average Asians at the business end of tournaments.

The biggest disappointment is of course Judd, who could have been ruler of this game now and for many years. He decided to pi$$ it away with his juvenile attitude.
By:
The Bhoys
When: 07 Dec 17 21:00
How can the pockets be bigger than they were 10 years ago? I dont understand
By:
wondersobright
When: 07 Dec 17 21:19
they're not bigger, they are just set up to play wider...less "cloth" around the jaws and on the lip of the pockets means reduced amounts of friction, so balls slide in off jaws like they never used to
By:
wondersobright
When: 07 Dec 17 21:24
you will not hear this from world snooker or any of the puppet controlled BBC pundits

speaking out about table tampering to level the playing field between players at the top and at the bottom is against the overall money making asian expansion formula that bazza and his crew are coining
By:
wondersobright
When: 07 Dec 17 21:30
in order to sustain asian interest in the game and thus feed the bank balances of world snooker, there needs to be asian players making the latter stages of ranking events regularly and winning them more than they have been

well there is only ding and arguably liang and yan bingtao in time capable of meeting a true top 16 standard imo

so another way of achieving their objective is to mess around with the pockets, shorten the matches, have flat 128, remove seeding protection
make every tournament a guess up
By:
wondersobright
When: 07 Dec 17 21:31
fu as well actually
By:
wondersobright
When: 07 Dec 17 21:35
I'm sure if you asked hearn completely off the record of course, he'd admit the current situation is wall to wall dross and little in the way of entertainment value, a small price to pay for a treasure chest of yuan
By:
Latalomne
When: 08 Dec 17 13:09
I can hear you vomiting from here at this Barry interview, Wonder!  Laugh
By:
wondersobright
When: 08 Dec 17 14:26
been out lata missed it sadly
By:
Latalomne
When: 08 Dec 17 14:27
I'm sure they'll play it again later!  All the cliches were rolled out.
By:
wondersobright
When: 08 Dec 17 14:40
let me guess, game never been in better health, standard never been higher, more tournaments than ever before, more money than ever before, not interested in players moaning etc etc

Laugh
By:
Latalomne
When: 08 Dec 17 14:45
I thought you said you'd missed it?!?   :D
By:
Latalomne
When: 08 Dec 17 14:46
4-0 and 4-0 at the mid-session interval....  TBF, Perry probably should have been 3-0 up himself....
By:
wondersobright
When: 08 Dec 17 14:57
haha, he's given that interview 10 times over since he took over the reigns at world snooker
By:
wondersobright
When: 08 Dec 17 14:58
*reins

aye 1 sided quarter finals so far
By:
thepunter
When: 08 Dec 17 15:45
Seriously, does maguire have a brain ? since 5-0 up, he simply sets up the clearance for joe, stupid shot after stupid shot.
By:
The Bhoys
When: 08 Dec 17 18:31
someone should ask 1 of the bbc pundits on twitter what u said about the pockets to see there response
By:
wondersobright
When: 08 Dec 17 19:39
you've only got to use your own eyes and watch frames of snooker today compared to 10+ years ago

that black from king a few shots ago into the right corner a classic example, there is barely a table in the land where that ball would have been potted flush off the jaw at pace
By:
wondersobright
When: 08 Dec 17 19:43
and that red he's just played with the rest, off the jaw at pace again

you just don't have to be as accurate as you had to be years ago when the tournament tables had respectability
By:
The Bhoys
When: 08 Dec 17 20:18
totally agree about some of the shots they really shudnt be going in, suppose the same cud be said for darts the wires are alot thinner than they once were, yes the standard has risen but the wires dont allow as many bounce outs now
By:
gobelins
When: 08 Dec 17 20:40
J.Parrott was banging on earlier about having to pay the rails respect. But, I'd have asked him: "Why wouldn't the players pay them respect?" They're not meant to be easy to pot when they are close to a cushion, but the fact he felt the need to say it suggests he accepts how easy the tables are playing.

For some reason he always seems to be defend the tables and the cut of the pockets. And, on the odd occasion a ball hits the near jaw and stays out, he jumps up and tells us that that shot would have gone in on your local club table.
By:
wondersobright
When: 08 Dec 17 20:59
yep gobelins, and the comms always say "how did that not drop, these pockets are tight" Laugh

the pockets are just there to be abused quite frankly, respecting the pockets is a view that is well past its sell by date & something that was valid in parrott's playing days

bhoys...you have a point about the wires in darts but also you are also right to say the standard has risen (PDC)
the same cannot be said for snooker
By:
The Bhoys
When: 10 Dec 17 15:50
is tough says nope hes missed and it slides in Another example of a shot that should not have dropped, murphy on the final back to go 4-4, hendry says this is tough and he called a miss and it hit the knuckle and slid in Cry
By:
hfink
When: 10 Dec 17 15:54
^just commented on the same thing on the other thread, The Bhoys. I see what people are saying about the more generous pockets now. Even Hendry thought it was out.
By:
The Bhoys
When: 10 Dec 17 16:08
yea there was another shot i may have mis heard but im near sure hendry said that wudt have went in in my day
By:
stu
When: 10 Dec 17 16:34
I've never quite got why bigger pockets actually make that much difference (if they are 'bigger') - surely then they're bigger for everyone - sure I've seen plenty misses watching the game still?
By:
cricketnut2
When: 10 Dec 17 18:54
In the old days, with the tight pocket the balls only went in, if they were in or close to the centre of the pocket. These days the ball drops even when it looks like they've missed. However, the players get more plants and make plants that aren't even together.
By:
The Bhoys
When: 10 Dec 17 19:12
even the in offs have increased its like 9 ball pool sometimes
By:
The Bhoys
When: 10 Dec 17 20:10
seen a shot there hendry potted years ago that was very simalar to the shots we are discussing now, rattled of the jaws a few times at pace
By:
wondersobright
When: 10 Dec 17 21:01

Dec 10, 2017 -- 10:34AM, stu wrote:

I've never quite got why bigger pockets actually make that much difference (if they are 'bigger') - surely then they're bigger for everyone - sure I've seen plenty misses watching the game still?

think about it

if they play "bigger" for everyone, then less skilled players are less disadvantaged

its a huge leveller

bit like saying a dodgy pitch in the old days of the FA cup was the same for both sides, yes true, but the lesser team is less disadvantaged by playing on a dodgy pitch than the better team is

By:
The Bhoys
When: 10 Dec 17 21:03
when u see u mugs like mark king winning titles u have to wonder
By:
wondersobright
When: 10 Dec 17 21:08
correct
By:
BornToWin
When: 10 Dec 17 21:12
If the pockets are easy the lesser players get away with ones that would have missed. The better players miss less so get away with less hence levelling the playing field.

I think Laugh
By:
gobelins
When: 10 Dec 17 21:20
In the end R.O'Sullivan wins so there is a positive, feel-good, end to the tournament, but don't celebrate too much Ronnie - The Scottish Open starts tomorrow morning. Although, be thankful - they've scheduled your Last 128 match for Tuesday, so at least you don't have to leave for an airport tonight!
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com