Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Biffo2010
27 Apr 16 15:51
| Topic/replies: 1,921 | Blogger: Biffo2010's blog
Anyone see that lol
Pause Switch to Standard View Mark Allen on snooker at the Olympics
Show More
Report gentlemanjohn April 27, 2016 4:02 PM BST
What did Allen say? I zoned out when they started talking about pool at the olympics.

Terrible idea.
Report bobweenit April 27, 2016 4:02 PM BST
yeah daft though the people that shoot guns at the Olympics are not athletes Mark it's about the skill level, but all these sports that r not in the olympics should stay out like golf snooker the likes more important to win the worlds the masters etc Some of the golfers don't even want to play in itLaugh
Report gentlemanjohn April 27, 2016 4:10 PM BST
Simple rule i think. The olympics should be the pinnacle of the sport your competing in. That will never apply for golf and tennis, and certainly not for snooker either.
Report dlarssonf April 27, 2016 4:27 PM BST
The Olympics should be the pinnacle of amateur sports
Report ccd April 27, 2016 7:10 PM BST
It would help team GBs medal haul so i expect Seb Coe et al to push hard for it. I cant imagine it ever coming about though.
Report moondan April 27, 2016 7:32 PM BST
When I heard this I just put it down to be a distraction by the board to cover up the main topic of conversation which has been about lousy standards and suspect tables.

Many attempts over the years to be included in the olympics  have failed, mainly because of snookers shady past and connections with gangsters and while those days are mainly in the past, its still somewhat questionable with its strong east end connections and the view that perhaps conditions are not as honest as they should be.
Report gentlemanjohn April 27, 2016 7:44 PM BST
I find it hard to believe moondan that many attempts have been made to get snooker included in the olympics. On what grounds? The olympics is a global event, contested by a couple of 100 nations, while snoooker is played in a tiny fraction of them and has only two countries/nations/states or whatever - GB and China - where there is any strength in depth.
And if shady connections was a factor - this is the IOC remember - then not sure boxing, among other sports, would have no business being there.
Report moondan April 27, 2016 9:02 PM BST
Gentlemen.
Perhaps many is too stronger word but certainly several have been made since the early 80s when snooker was booming.

The olympics is about spreading sport to many countries and the argument was that it was a discipline and extremely difficult  to play.  I think you might be surprised at how many countries actually play the game.
I have little doubt that had those requests been successful then snooker would have been a truly global sport by now and that is the point.

I also think it would be a great success within a few decades. Hendry in charge of course.LaughCoolCool
Report gentlemanjohn April 27, 2016 10:31 PM BST
Yes increasing participation globally is the given purpose of the olympics moondan, even though we know it isnt really, but they still only have room for a very limited number of sports. I do realise how many countries play snooker - most of them very badly - and if rugby can be an olympic sport, then why not snooker, but there are still a lot more sports with a better case than snooker. If baseball with all its cash cant get a look in, then i doubt snooker ever will.

Anyway how do you define a few decades? Four? Five? Just how long do you think hendry is going to live Wink
Report moondan April 27, 2016 10:54 PM BST
Gentlemen,

I just love the game so probably wishful thinking.

I think we may be talking 3 at least, but his record will last a lot longerCool

Really enjoyed today it was 90s snooker relived  with plenty of bottle but was not in the least surprised with the Higgins match as John has only blown hot and cold this past few seasons and I don't count the tournaments he has won because they were hardly up to his real class.

Tomorrow looks interesting but hardly edge of the seat stuff and I do expect Fu to beat Selby because for me he is not the animal he was.
I am a great believer that in snooker the real story is in your eyes and body language and while he will make the match close I expect Fu to win .

In the final I expect 2 dogs to have their day at last with Ding a very comfortable winner.
Report gentlemanjohn April 27, 2016 11:30 PM BST
Ah who knows moondan? Maybe bazza is greasing those outstreched IOC palms as we speak.. But i must say as a snooker fan i've no interest whether its ever in the olympics or not. Snooker in the middle of july? I'm sure your a tradionalist like me...are you sure you could ever get your head around that

I did have higgins down as a potential winner, but i'm glad he's gone now and same with Williams. Old fogeys cruising through on their C games isn't on in my book. I know McManus is years older, but higgins actually LOOKS old and unfit....maybe too long at the top erodes all the grey matter between the ears?

McManus cant beat Ding, can he? Actually he surprised me, even though higgins was atrocious..but those last 4-5 frames were good quality and he held it together brilliantly, not like Fu falling over in a heap on the other table, albeit with a fine last break. I've done enough bad guessing for one year, Fu and Ding are players i have no faith in, McManus isn't great but has nothign to lose, and Selby in another semi-final could be anything. It hasn't been a great tournament, but its been interesting and a couple of good matches could yet elevate it to a classic Cool
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com