Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
gobelins
20 Apr 16 22:51
| Topic/replies: 833 | Blogger: gobelins's blog
B.Hearn has announced that from next year The Masters will be renamed The Paul Hunter Trophy. I can't believe that it's 10 years since Paul tragically passed away, and this is a fitting tribute to a tremendous Snooker player and a truly inspirational person.
Pause Switch to Standard View Paul Hunter honoured
Show More
Report ZenMaster April 20, 2016 11:06 PM BST
Terrific for Paul's memory.
He could have won the Masters another 3 times, with a couple of World Championships in those 10 years.
Report gentlemanjohn April 20, 2016 11:10 PM BST
It's a nice touch definitely, but I presume this is just a one-off occasion only and not a long-term name change?
Report ZenMaster April 20, 2016 11:21 PM BST
It's a permanent change john.
Report gentlemanjohn April 20, 2016 11:28 PM BST
Fair enough. I'll miss the Masters name, it's an iconic name in snooker...but i'm all for honouring Paul and suspect I'm just nitpicking and will get over it.
Report trebor April 20, 2016 11:36 PM BST
I think it should stay as the Masters, but playing for the Paul Hunter trophy.
Report ZenMaster April 20, 2016 11:37 PM BST
Understand John, i would have gone for The Paul Hunter Masters Trophy
Report gentlemanjohn April 20, 2016 11:38 PM BST
Either option would be good for me, trebor's probably shading it. Plus there's already the Paul Hunter Classic which i presume remains on the calendar.
Report ZenMaster April 20, 2016 11:41 PM BST
Hold on guys, we have an error.

It's the Trophy that is being renamed The Paul Hunter Trophy.

That would mean it remains The Masters, but playing for the Paul Hunter Trophy

trebor, you probably knew
Report trebor April 20, 2016 11:54 PM BST
I didn't know, When they had Hearne on at lunch time I thought he said the Masters was being renamed, and thought then it seemed a bit strange.
Report gentlemanjohn April 20, 2016 11:58 PM BST
Ha....frankly when i saw the initial suggestion i was a little bit shocked but didnt want to say so. But all makes total sense now, a nice touch indeed.
Report ZenMaster April 21, 2016 12:01 AM BST
What i meant trebor was that deep down you knew what was right.
I listened to Hearn at lunch time as well and i think he did say the Masters was being renamed but i just found this on the BBC webpage.

"The Masters will always be played for the Paul Hunter Trophy. Who knows what stamp he would have made on the game? This is a gesture to appreciate that."
Report moondan April 21, 2016 1:14 AM BST
I thought Hendry was given the original cup when he won it for the fifth time.

I think Paul has his own comp and I am all for that but The masters is the 3rd classic after the worlds and Uk.

I wouldnt even want it to be called the Hendry cup and that would be more fitting he won it 6 times and finalist a few other times.

This is typical Hearn, Leave the classics as they are and as they are called, this is shear nonsense.
The sport is bigger than any individual, Dead or Alive.
Report gobelins April 21, 2016 7:26 AM BST
Moondan - I can't say I'm a huge B.Hearn fan either, but he can't do anything right in your eyes. This is a fitting tribute to Paul Hunter's memory, particularly as it's the trophy that is being renamed and not the actual name of the tournament (which I am also glad about).
Report moondan April 21, 2016 8:24 AM BST
Gobelins,

Nobody enjoyed Pauls brief time in snooker more than me but just because you die is no reason to honour anyone.

I could list many who did much much more than Paul for the game and top of that list is Alex Higgins so where is his tournament?  the list is long.

This is just rank wrong and unless I am very much mistaken this will not sit easy with most snooker fans.

For me its just another day in the life of a game that is being dumbed down to a degree that should not be allowed where tables are no longer an honest test and getting easier by the tournament.

I am not sorry for my stance about the tables or ridiculous ideas such as this, the game is much bigger than that and its credibility deserves protecting.
Snooker has given me so much pleasure over the years but its fast becoming a game for the naive.

Do not tamper with the formats or names of our Majors and certainly do put somebody's name up with them when they achieved so little other than tragically dying.
The whole idea is just plain wrong.
Report moondan April 21, 2016 8:36 AM BST
The main thing I wanted to say,  let all titles be won on the table, never let flawed opinion bestow on others what they have not achieved on the table.
Far too much of that goes on today. It trivialises what others have actually achieved.
Report ZenMaster April 21, 2016 9:23 AM BST
Sorry Moondan but you need to snap out of this emotional unbalance over Hearn.

Never in snooker has there been a player die at his peak.
Alex did not. Paul did.
To honour Paul's name on the trophy is a wonderful gesture.
Hearn is not changing the name of a major. It will still be The Masters.
As you pointed out Hendry was presented with the original cup.
Paul won it 3 times. His record there was great for the game as well.
Report moondan April 21, 2016 11:47 AM BST
Zen
With all due respect to you and what you bring to these threads, if there is any emotional unbalance it is all yours.

Whatever some might say Paul, was not a gigantic name in the sport and it is extremely doubtful whether he would have become one if he had not died this is just pure nonsense and a far greater thanks is owed to Alex.
Report ZenMaster April 21, 2016 11:55 AM BST
As Barry Hearn always says moondan.

You can't please everyone in this world.
I like the idea and see no negatives.
I am not the emotional reactionary here by the way.
Report alun2005 April 21, 2016 5:00 PM BST
How about Snooker also naming a trophy after that bloke in Hong Kong who did the sport a real favour and brought Wiltshire's most well-known Post Office avoider to justice?
Report moondan April 21, 2016 10:39 PM BST
Alun, I will second that.
Report thegiggilo April 22, 2016 12:15 AM BST
VBile individual this hearn,using someones death in another bid to push the profile of snooker, this could've happened years ago  not 10 years on if it was a genuine heartfelt thought everything he does stinks.
Report gentlemanjohn April 22, 2016 12:43 AM BST
Is that a reference to a certain snooker cue?
Report gobelins April 22, 2016 7:30 AM BST
After Paul died - his wife and dad approached World Snooker to request something similar to this, and Rodney Walker and the board rejected it. I'm sure B.Hearn has discussed this Paul's family, and I take it as a fitting memorial rather than a cynical attempt to enhance snooker's profile. This is a player who put off chemotherapy until after the 2005 World Championship, so he could play at Sheffield. And, tragically he died with his peak years still ahead of him.
Report moondan April 22, 2016 7:53 AM BST
Gobelins.

Respect your view because you are an obvious fan of the game with plenty of years behind you.

I just think it would be better to enhance the profile of the competition Paul already has and all camps should be happy,
To tamper with a major with clear historic value  Past, present and the future is too many bridges too far.

To put associate Pauls name in such a clear way would make him the biggest name in snooker and just because he died.
3 wins in the Masters and making love to your girl friend between session does not make you a legend.

Pauls parents no doubt are behind this and while they have reason to remember him, much greater figures in our sport are far more deserving to be honoured in such a way.
Report ZenMaster April 22, 2016 11:14 AM BST
3 wins in the Masters and making love to your girl friend between session does not make you a legend.

"The Masters will always be played for the Paul Hunter Trophy. Who knows what stamp he would have made on the game? This is a gesture to appreciate that."

You are judging him on his short life moondan. Are you deliberately missing the point?
Report trebor April 22, 2016 11:34 AM BST
The only thing moondan basses anything on is that back in the 80's Higgins was in one camp and Davis and Hearn in the other, that's where it all stems from with him and his objections get more outrageous by the year.
Report ZenMaster April 22, 2016 11:57 AM BST
It was the Matchroom players who also didn't want Higgins to join.
Wherever Higgins went, so did his alter ego who was constantly at war with.
I imagine if moondan had to work with Higgins he would not be such a fanboy.
Report ZenMaster April 22, 2016 12:08 PM BST
Wattana is a Commander Third Class of the Most Noble Order of the Crown of Thailand, only the second sportsman to receive the country's most prestigious civilian honour.
Report ZenMaster April 22, 2016 12:08 PM BST
Sorry wrong thread.
Report gentlemanjohn April 22, 2016 5:40 PM BST
Is moondan really that much of a higgins fanboy? I'd have him down for more a hendry fan..but whatever, he's a big boy, he doesnt need me sticking up for him! As for his dislike of hearn, well i doubt he'd be in a minority of one in that regard Wink
Report trebor April 22, 2016 6:40 PM BST
That would be the same thing, ie not in the Davis, Hearn group. As far as I am concerned you can like or dislike whoever you like, but moondan can manage to bring it up in every one of his posts, and blame them for everything.

"And anyone who can't see that knows nothing about snooker" is my other pet hate Laugh
Report gentlemanjohn April 22, 2016 7:17 PM BST
You're wrong trebor, i cant recall moondan ever blaming steve or bazza for Jimmy White's mullet. Everything else yes, but not that. At least not yet anyway!
Report ZenMaster April 22, 2016 8:21 PM BST
I blame Alex Higgins john.

If it wasn't for Higgins riding into town on a white horse and saving snooker from the edge of oblivion the would have been no Jimmy White mullet on TV.
Or Steve James to that matter.
Report hitmanhearn April 22, 2016 8:46 PM BST
^ now that was a hairdo and a half.
Report moondan April 22, 2016 10:32 PM BST
Gentlemen, thanks, I don't need anyone to stand up for me but snooker certainly needs a better class of fan than Trebor who to my knowledge has never said anything worth listening to. In fact I cannot remember anything he has ever said or written. God help snooker in his hands.

This week has been quite heartening because at last some solid players and probably the greatest of all has come out and said what I have been saying for some years.
Snooker is a very great game with little or no cheats and it does not need the likes of Hearn and others to belittle the skill that the guys who put the hours and hurt into making themselves great players by foolishly making the game less of a test.

I read these threads and listen to what some claim that seem at odds with their true understanding of the game that is betrayed by their written word but such is life.
I will continue to stand up for the integrity of the game no matter what the gullible believe or those that really are clueless in the extreme.
Its a very sad day for snooker that these people call themselves fans because they are a serious threat to everything that the game is really about.
Terry Griffiths would have such contempt for them and that is so understandable.
Report ZenMaster April 23, 2016 9:23 PM BST
This is the Paul Hunter thread moondan.

Not the 'i told you so about the modern conditions of the tables', which we agree with you about.
Regarding Higgins, he threatened to have Dennis Taylor shot, and for a 'Peoples Champion' could be extremely obnoxious towards his fans and on top of that blamed every other cat for his downfall.
He played snooker like Keith Richards plays guitar, for that i will forever admire him.
Report moondan April 25, 2016 8:33 AM BST
Zen,

Paul hunters thread or not, I cannot understand why we are still talking about him, worth a memory yes but what is happening is ridiculous beyond belief.
We must be in Hearns world.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com