Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ccd
19 Apr 16 03:43
| Topic/replies: 2,398 | Blogger: ccd's blog
When I was a kind I used to go to my Gran's house after school. When the snooker was on we had to watch that rather than cartoons which upset me. However, sometimes a mad, twitching, drunk, working class Irishman would appear sashaying round the table, berating the audience and thumping ridiculous long pots in all over the place. I was captivated by him and have loved the game ever since. Lets always remember him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7kjxBbiiWM
Show More
Report thegiggilo April 19, 2016 11:08 PM BST
I probably watch the Coral uk final when he beat davis around once every 3 months on utube,probably bar jimmy white the only player that was really entertaining to watch plus the fact he was a genius but could lose to anyone made you feel like screaming.Alex Higgins will be long remembered in snooker history infront of any player that's picked up a cue and that's a certainty!!Wink
Report YOMOMMA April 20, 2016 12:30 AM BST
Alex Higgins was a genius.
Report hitmanhearn April 20, 2016 6:40 AM BST
Ronnie not included in the entertaining to watch camp.. ? Ok .
Report ZenMaster April 20, 2016 6:50 AM BST
To be fair plenty of club players have lost position and potted a string of outrageous shots to keep the break going.
Just that Higgins did it regularly on TV and loved the cowd, and the crowd loved him.
Report thegiggilo April 20, 2016 9:52 AM BST
If Higgins was around today he would still be the most loved even if he played poorly,not only was he a genius but he had bags of charisma unlike the players that followed...
Report ZenMaster April 20, 2016 10:09 AM BST
He wouldn't have last one season on tour though would he?
Would Hearn embrace Higgins any differently if a young Alex was to burst onto the scene?
Report thegiggilo April 20, 2016 10:30 AM BST
Exactly what the game needs hearns probably hoping someome like that would appear,jimmy was getting hammered all weekthrough the world chamionships he lost to Hendry Highly unlikely to ever get players like Higgins and white again as they came from such poor backgrounds,so they were just happy to be there and showed in their game,wheras snookers a far more middle class game now with brats given everything they need as 10 yr olds,thus a new breed of mentally weak players...
Report ZenMaster April 20, 2016 10:48 AM BST
Can you imagine Alex being let loose on twitter? he would last 5 mins with Hearn.

Somewhere down the line Ronnie will need replacing, but the conveyor belt media trained yes men and 90% on the stats all round players will dull out the game for me.
Over coaching will temper down any truly unique talent that is out there. It will become too bland for me once Ronnie retires for good. I hate to say it.
Report johnnythebull April 20, 2016 10:59 AM BST
RoS has the elixir of youth
he will be around forever
no need to fretGrin
Report gentlemanjohn April 20, 2016 2:39 PM BST
Can you imagine Alex being let loose on twitter? he would last 5 mins with Hearn.

Things that were great about the 80s:

Top of the Pops
Alex Higgins
No fcking twitterbook
Report moondan April 20, 2016 2:50 PM BST
Giggs,

Could not have said it better. Saw him in 73 and that was it, incidentally he was not a p1ss head then.
Report freddiewilliams April 20, 2016 3:57 PM BST
people think he died due to alcohol.......actually died due to gambling
Report moondan April 20, 2016 4:06 PM BST
Jimmy says it was malnutrition  but gambling was definitely a factor.
Report freddiewilliams April 20, 2016 4:09 PM BST
he wouldnot buy food or gas.....gave it to willhill and the ni club next door
Report ZenMaster April 20, 2016 8:08 PM BST
He was an habitual loser
He lost everything in the end.
But the legend lives on.
Report thegiggilo April 20, 2016 8:42 PM BST
The real legend..Cool
Report Blackrock April 21, 2016 12:55 PM BST
I love snooker. Doesn't have to have a 'maverick' playing for me to watch it.
Report gentlemanjohn April 21, 2016 1:03 PM BST
Where i grew up in 70s/80s the pubs used to shut in the afternoons ("holy hour") and i'd take half days off to wander around town looking for an open pub to watch Alex playing. Because there were so few tournaments every event felt huge and all the main papers had dedicated snooker correspondents. Great days.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com