Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
the stunning
14 Apr 16 12:51
| Topic/replies: 833 | Blogger: the stunning's blog
Bingham 8/13 v Carter 13/10
Maguire 2/5 v McManus 2/1
Walden 1/4 v Williams 3/1
Higgins 4/11 v Day 11/5
Trump 2/9 v Wenbo 10/3
Gould 7/4 v Ding 4/9
Williams 4/6 v Dott 6/5
Robertson 1/8 v Holt 5/1

Murphy 2/7 v McGill 11/4
Fu 2/5 v Ebdon 2/1
Hawkins 1/6 v Zhang 4/1
O Sullivan 1/20 v Gilbert 11/1
Allen 1/16 v Mann 10/1
Perry 4/5 v Wilson 1/1
White 2/5 v Baird 2/1
Selye 1/7 v Milkins 9/2

Ok it no longer is the Embassy but always had a nice ring to it!
Like the look of the draw as it seems fair enough thought the 2nd quarter looks a minefield.My NAP of the first round it Dott @6/5 to take down MJ Williams while outright think it will be Walden v Robertson Murphy v Seby winth the Aussie taking the crown!
Roll on Saturday and happy punting all!!
Pause Switch to Standard View Embassy World Snooker Draw
Show More
Report moondan April 14, 2016 1:19 PM BST
Thanks thestunning.

Must start by saying the draw of the round is fu v ebdon hope its an evening session love those late nights.

Ronnie's luck is still blindingly good I see, the fan boys will be delighted Devil

Bingham could not have had it any worse.  I am no fan of Carter because he should have won more but he is a great player and would I struggle to list 6 players better than him  of his generation.

Anyway good luck to all and almost 3 weeks  of heaven for me.

Bingham.Trump, and Ding for me with early baths for white, Hawkins, and Higgins.
Report gentlemanjohn April 14, 2016 1:42 PM BST
"Almost 3 weeks of heaven". Exactly moondan, couldnt say it better. I love Cheltenham and the masters, but dont think any annual event gets me more excited than this one. Hope you're on Ding at the big prices, because 22s is no value, has to beat Gould, Trump and Robbo and that's just to be in a s/f. Personally think he's no chance at all but still wouldnt mind being on at 40s! Day would need to be on a going day to trouble Higgins i reckon and think Michael White could have a decent run here. Anyway all opinions and the only thing for certain is we'll get more wrong than we get right!
Report the stunning April 14, 2016 1:53 PM BST
No worries Moon,trust your keeping well and like myself looking forward to the best 17 days of the sporting year!!Yes like you I crave those late night safety duels,Fu/Ebbo may provide!!
It's a straight run to the Quarters for Ronnie but Murphy may have is number at that point. Like you said John,can't see Ding doing much with that draw,cracker to open things too,think Carter will overcome the champ in a final frame shootout !!!
Report Pandoras April 14, 2016 3:46 PM BST
That 2nd quarter is tough.

On your prices be looking at Carter, Day, M Williams, Gould, Ebdon and Baird.

Would say Baird is the best bet, White has a terrible attitude this season.

The Crucible curse on the previous Champions as well...Carter has generally been excellent in the qualifiers though to be fair Bingham has played a little better of late.
Report ZenMaster April 14, 2016 4:21 PM BST
Who is this new boy Selye?

Anyway if he meets the Rocket in the semi, there is only one result.
Come on Selye! you have his measure!
Report trebor April 14, 2016 4:36 PM BST
Do we know why Selby missed the last 2 tournaments?
Report appformat April 14, 2016 5:49 PM BST
fancy Smurphy for the outrights.. think he'll beat Ronnie if they meet.
also Carter & Williams are overpriced.
Report jed.davison April 14, 2016 5:55 PM BST
LOL Murphy hasn't got a prayer of beating Ronnie, because he doesn't believe he can. Still can't forget him losing his bottle massively when they met here a couple of seasons ago - finished 13-3 I think, Murphy couldn't pot a ball.
Report GRANTCKING April 14, 2016 5:55 PM BST
jesus, the bucket pocket champion heading out in R1 to the captain!!
Report GRANTCKING April 14, 2016 5:56 PM BST
wenbo at 10/3 v trump is over priced imo
Report appformat April 14, 2016 5:56 PM BST
He's a different Smurph these days Jed, got a nice new woman and all that ;)
Report GRANTCKING April 14, 2016 5:57 PM BST
robbo or ding to win the top half of the draw for me
Report jed.davison April 14, 2016 6:04 PM BST
He's a spineless God-bothering loser appformat.
Report GRANTCKING April 14, 2016 6:04 PM BST
Laugh
Report jed.davison April 14, 2016 6:07 PM BST
The jelly-boned fat fool weas
Report jed.davison April 14, 2016 6:08 PM BST
or even was, 2-0 up in that match, lost 13 of the next 14 frames. Gutless.
Report ZenMaster April 14, 2016 6:11 PM BST
Funny thing is Jed, he knows it.
He nearly quit a couple of seasons ago because he had lost his bottle ( not the full-fat fizzy stuff )
Report GRANTCKING April 14, 2016 6:11 PM BST
LaughLaughLaugh
Report GRANTCKING April 14, 2016 6:11 PM BST

Apr 14, 2016 -- 12:08PM, jed.davison wrote:

or even was, 2-0 up in that match, lost 13 of the next 14 frames. Gutless.

remember this

Report jed.davison April 14, 2016 6:12 PM BST
And how did he not win the final last year? So-called Rolls Royce of the game, lost to a Trabant with a dodgy gearbox.
Report GRANTCKING April 14, 2016 6:16 PM BST
Laugh
the buckets aided the butcher
it was destiny
the true rolls royce of the game is banned for life, stephen lee Grin what a cue action tho
Report ZenMaster April 14, 2016 6:18 PM BST
Do you mean his cue auction?
Report appformat April 14, 2016 6:21 PM BST
He might not even have to play Ronnnie anyway.
Report ZenMaster April 14, 2016 6:23 PM BST
True he could be going home before then.
Report GRANTCKING April 14, 2016 6:32 PM BST

Apr 14, 2016 -- 12:18PM, ZenMaster wrote:

Do you mean his cue auction?

CoolCoolCool

Report gentlemanjohn April 14, 2016 6:32 PM BST
trebor 14 Apr 16 16:36 
Do we know why Selby missed the last 2 tournaments?

Good question. Beyond the perennial "personal reasons" have not heard a definitive explanation. Maybe he's a Leicester season ticket holder and didn't fancy missing games to go to China? Don't think it'll do him too much harm anyway, but am going to have a tipple on White to win bottom quarter regardless.
Report GRANTCKING April 14, 2016 6:33 PM BST
I thought it might be something to do with his wife, she was pregnant wasnt she?
Report Gin April 14, 2016 6:38 PM BST
My four for the semis are Carter v Trump and Ronnie v Joe Perry. GL all!
Report GRANTCKING April 14, 2016 6:54 PM BST
joe perry LaughLaugh
Report GRANTCKING April 14, 2016 6:54 PM BST
gin is on the gin!
Report spudmurphy April 14, 2016 7:11 PM BST
Selby has the easiest quarter of the draw and will be fresh with him missing the last two tournaments and 12.5 on here looks too big to me.
Report jed.davison April 14, 2016 7:14 PM BST
What's with all this nonsense about him being fresh? The last comp was the China Open, which ended weeks ago.
Report ZenMaster April 14, 2016 8:09 PM BST
I think spudmurphy could be someone in the game.

Perhaps Selby withdrew solely to be fresh for this tournament. 12.5 does look too big and v Ronnie in the semi, i would expect Selby to grind it out again like the 2014 final. Ronnie will hate that match up.
Report gobelins April 14, 2016 8:45 PM BST
Selby doesn't miss any tournaments, even the PTCs, so if he has missed 2 tournaments for personal reasons I'd imagine it's something significant. He's got a dream quarter, but if his head isn't right then his major weapon has gone. Without knowing what it was/is I think anyone backing Selby is taking a real gamble...if you'll pardon the pun.
Report gentlemanjohn April 14, 2016 9:08 PM BST
Agree gobelins, though I think he's probably a couple of ticks higher in the betting than he'd normally be on account of that uncertainty. I'd always be inclined to take him on anyway, I like Selby as a person, but don't rate him as highly as a player as some do. Take 2104 out of it and his Crucible record is very moderate.
Report ZenMaster April 14, 2016 9:12 PM BST
Well it has happened in the build up to the World Champs goblins, it maybe something more serious or it maybe that he feels sacked out and needed a break.
This is the big one and it takes some getting, he could e doing a Ronnie. Worth a try.
Report gobelins April 14, 2016 9:37 PM BST
I don't think he'd feel he needed a break, and he will have had to explain why he missed those 2 tournaments to the governing body - who have obviously accepted his explanation. His form has been patchy this season, and he would have wanted to gain some momentum from the Players Championship and China Open prior to sheffield. I'd be concerned about backing Selby, and R.Milkins in R1 could give him a real game - he beat Robbo here a couple of years ago, and all the qualifiers come here on the back of winning 30 frames in multi-session matches.
Report thegiggilo April 14, 2016 9:45 PM BST
Looks another farce of a tournament for o'sullivan he gets murphy in the quarters and if Selby goes out a walkover into semis every single year he gets these easy draws he could actually win the whole thing beating no one.Another bonus is there won't be any drawn out matches for him either first riund 10-2 a couple of thrashings upto the semis be fresh as a daisy whoever he plays in final.Can see McGill beating murphy or fu quite easily as well,going to be 2 weeks of fanboymania,the only good thing is at least I'm on at 4s..
Report gobelins April 14, 2016 10:31 PM BST
It's funny because I don't think Ronnie has landed in a particularly easy quarter, but for him it's ideal. Both B.Hawkins and S.Murphy (who are the main threats) have strong Crucible form, but you have to question whether either of them deep down really believe they can beat him here over 3 sessions. Ronnie has his 2nd round match played over the obligatory 3 days, so if Hawkins does lead him he has to sleep on it (possibly twice) and after the mauling Ronnie gave him in The Masters final it would be a big ask to be able to forget that. I don't think Murphy bottled it against O'Sullivan a couple of years ago, he simply threw in the towel when Ronnie got a few frames in front. He gave up midway through the 2nd session and his submissive comments after the match were shameful for a player of his ranking and standing in the game.
Report thegiggilo April 15, 2016 1:58 AM BST
Murphy and o'sullivan hae been getting away with murder in recent times,murphys results aren't reflecting how fragile a player he is the standard has been so poor lately and the same applys to o'sullivan yes he still plays some decent stuff but it's criminal the way players are simply not doing anything ahasinst him when plenty of opportunitys arise.Who wants to waych sport where there are no true grit chracters that will show their steel,these current crop are the worst i'be ever seen mentally the proof is quite simple a 42yr old bloke is likely to win the worlds.You put o'sullivan back into the 90s playing as he is,absolutely no chance he would be winning a worlds and half a dozen could beat him and that is a fact..
Report gobelins April 15, 2016 7:27 AM BST
I know what your saying giggilo, but it's not O'Sullivan's problem if too many of today's players are seemingly one dimensional. That's just the way the game has evolved. It's now all about break-building, so the focus is now on breaking up the balls early and attempting to win frames in 1 or 2 visits. And, in this era O'Sullivan is clearly the best at it. Even the players who are in their mid-30s and early-40s have had to adapt. At least in Ebbo, A.McManus, R.Williams and M.Mann we have 4 qualifiers from the "old school" of thinking (although Angles did score very heavily in the qualifiers). But, it's unlikely that they can regularly out-manouever the higher ranked players playing that way.
Report thegiggilo April 15, 2016 10:01 AM BST
Whether o'sullivans the best or not has nothing to do with it,the fact is these players just aren't turning up even when presented with easy chances the majoriy of the time o'sullivan doesn't play great and he's there to be beaten but the players are so mentally weak they just fold and not through o'sullivans brilliance but through their own frailties.Yet the game is hyped and they are trying to make viewers believe the standards have risen,i couldn't name one player currently who's going to grasp the nettle under pressure and blow the worlds apart whereas 20-25 years ago I could name 6/7.It's the opposite the matchplay standards have copmpletely deteriorated..
Report trebor April 15, 2016 10:11 AM BST
In the spirit of 'Name that tune' Name that 7.
Report trebor April 15, 2016 10:20 AM BST
And when are they gonna finally realise on the "Official World Snooker" site that there countdown to the championship clock is an hour out since the clocks went forward?
Report ZenMaster April 15, 2016 10:28 AM BST
25 years ago there was only one player who was likely to blow the World Championship apart and that was Hendry.
They all buckled against him as well, nothing knew with todays players buckling against O'Sullivan.
Steve Davis had the same effect before that.

It happens in all one on one sports. Most players are beaten before they even begin against the stand out player. One mistake and you are brown bread.
Once you are concentrating on making no mistakes you lose your own confidence to win.

Love to know who these 6/7 players were 25 years ago giggilo?

There was the great period when Hendry, Williams, Higgins, Ronnie were doing battle from about 98' but we were spoilt then. Don't expect that again soon.

The standard at the top is unlikely to improve from that golden period. This game is only part technical, but majorly character under pressure.
All in all, we will look back and realise how spoilt we were in the early 90's.
Throughout society there was more true character back then.
Report thegiggilo April 15, 2016 11:33 AM BST
You've just named 4 there you have excluded white,hunter when I say blow worlds aopart I mean if these players were around now playing their best they would be more than capable of sluicing up against this current lot.You actually look at current players and maybe trump if he played his best could blow this field apart but that's been said for 4/5 years and unlike the great players from the past he looks capable of losing to players you wouldn't believe possible.You could easily chuck davis into the mix as well as he wouldn't have let all these cheasp frames go unpunished as well I even think reardon would've been tough to beat with his matchplay..
Report moondan April 15, 2016 11:49 AM BST
Players do not have to play in any tournament, if they do not enter they just don't get any ranking points or money so its self policing.

Selby has said its for personal reasons but I just hope he is protecting himself from what I thought was a burn out problem from over competing.

I am backing him because the draw means I have nobody in the bottom half of the draw where I was hoping Ding would be.

If Selby is fresh he to my mind is a certainty as apart from the big four of Hendry, O'Sullivan Higgins and Williams of a decade or so ago he is easily better class than the latter day potters who need to be holding mums hand.
In the case of White and the new brigade they need granny holding the other  hand as well with an instruction book of how to play a mans game.
Report ZenMaster April 15, 2016 12:10 PM BST
Hunter was disappointing at the Crucible.  Great in the Masters though.

Trump, Robertson and Selby are very good players who when fully focussed are up there competitively barring the to 4 golden boys. Murphy with confidence is also very good.
For me the players today are playing too much globally, they are losing their edge and putting in more poor performances which then fester longer than their good performances.

It's not like golf were next weeks course may suit your game more.
Every week it's a 12 x 6 table with similar conditions, if you play poorly you can be left scratching your head.
Keeping your enthusiasm and focus is a lot more stretched these days.
No coincidence Ronnie is the freshest out of the lot of them, and out playing them still.
Report moondan April 15, 2016 1:11 PM BST
Zen,

I think Hunter was turning into a very great player before it was so tragically taken from him. His time in the game was very special, he was one of Hendry's victims in his historic seventh title and then of course went on to do special things in the masters and perhaps it was also the time when conditions on the table were probably at their best.
I think its very hard for players to impose themselves these days when conditions are so fast and shortened formats bring unfair pressure on everyone and burn out is a real threat.
Its a great pity Paul could not do one of his legendary comebacks and return in the flesh, the almost hippy freedom he brought to the game with no sulks or excuses is greatly missed.
Report ZenMaster April 15, 2016 6:28 PM BST
Paul was great for the game Moondan, a real down to earth poser.

However he only got past the 2nd round at the Crucible once in 7 attempts, i won't include his final year.
For whatever reason, he under performed at Sheffield. I think he was travelling from Leeds most days, so whether that affected him rather than switching off in a hotel environment i'm not sure.

A very good player and i love watching his Masters replays. Never forgotten.
Report the stunning April 15, 2016 8:40 PM BST
I was at the 2001 2nd round first session match between Hendry and Hunter,think it ended 6/2 to Hendry who had three tons.Was my first and only visit to the championship and looking back so happy got to see Paul play.Real talent he was,sadly missed.
Report the stunning April 15, 2016 8:46 PM BST
Thinking back,Stephen Lee was on the other table.....another wasted talent for completely different reasons.What a silly boy.
Report GRANTCKING April 15, 2016 8:49 PM BST
Laugh rolls royce currently flipping burgers at his local mcdonalds
Report moondan April 15, 2016 9:26 PM BST
Davis and his Parrot try to sell those times as a weaker era, neither understand how they insult the game.

Players through the 90s were a tougher bunch, still heavily influenced by the safety lessons that Davis was the master of but broken down by probably the games toughest opponent and breakbuilder in Hendry.
I think Hunter was still learning his trade and its forgotten that it took Ronnie 8 seasons to conquer the crucible, granted he was knocked out 3 times by Hendry and no shame in that but it gives a clue how hard it was in those days but to listen to Davis and his Parrot it was a walk in the park compared to today.
No doubt we will hear alot about the quality of today but see little of it on the table which has been fashioned to deliver big breaks.

Still I will be captivated throughout and trips to the pub will be rare but a few bottles and close mates and a room where wives are banned is a prison of my own making and may the time pass slowly.
I just hope Ebdon and Fu are at their tactical best tomorrow night and the milkman knocks on the door for a progress report about 5 am.
Report peckerdunne April 15, 2016 11:03 PM BST
Hi Guys, let the games begin.

Some very tough first round matches, so some Bigger fish will get fried.

Ronnie misses the group of death again, staggering.

So looking for some tactical value bets, but very aware that Ronnie is a true champ of the game, and at 42 he is playing better than most of the nineties players did at the same age.That said, the games not the same, or the games fcuked.

Outright.

I have The Captain for some at 85s and a third of  same return from Bingham. I may trade a little of this as they meet in round one. That's first quarter.

Second quarter i have Wenbo at 170 for a lesser sum.

In the third quarter i have Hawkins 70 for a sum and McGill for a much smaller sum.

In the 4th quarter i want to Have a fair dig at Selby 12s available but will wait till he comes to the table in round one first, so i can have a little gander.

The Captain would be my best result as things stand.

Good luck all.
Report peckerdunne April 16, 2016 11:27 PM BST
The Captain touches down happy:]
Report appformat April 16, 2016 11:28 PM BST
yes well played Ali, nice landing after lots of turbulence.
Report peckerdunne April 17, 2016 4:37 PM BST
Another touches down with McGill at 170s..[:happy: As i said some big fish getting fried in the first round.  Excellent start.
Report moondan April 17, 2016 8:07 PM BST
Pecker,     well done and stick with it, its worth a punt, fu is quality but McGill is as well, impressive. I just think someone is going to come out of the woodwork again.
Report moondan April 17, 2016 8:11 PM BST
Meant to add, one ginger knob retires and another emerges. you just have to hope my man Ding does not destroy him in the final.Cool
Report peckerdunne April 18, 2016 11:31 AM BST
Laugh x 2
Report peckerdunne April 19, 2016 8:54 PM BST
peckerdunne 15 Apr 16 23:03 Joined: 26 Apr 12 | Topic/replies: 8,291 | Blogger: peckerdunne's blog
Hi Guys, let the games begin.

Some very tough first round matches, so some Bigger fish will get fried.

Ronnie misses the group of death again, staggering.

So looking for some tactical value bets, but very aware that Ronnie is a true champ of the game, and at 42 he is playing better than most of the nineties players did at the same age.That said, the games not the same, or the games fcuked.

Outright.

I have The Captain for some at 85s and a third of  same return from Bingham. I may trade a little of this as they meet in round one. That's first quarter.

Second quarter i have Wenbo at 170 for a lesser sum.

In the third quarter i have Hawkins 70 for a sum and McGill for a much smaller sum.

In the 4th quarter i want to Have a fair dig at Selby 12s available but will wait till he comes to the table in round one first, so i can have a little gander.

The Captain would be my best result as things stand.

Good luck all.
Report peckerdunne April 19, 2016 8:56 PM BST
Cant say fairer than that........................................TBH
Report peckerdunne April 19, 2016 8:58 PM BST
Free ride now as match results showed a healthy profit.
Report gentlemanjohn April 19, 2016 9:04 PM BST
Nice work pd. Could be opening up nicely for Selby there...though i have a sneaking feeling for Wilson in the 4th quarter...
Report peckerdunne April 20, 2016 2:24 PM BST
Thanks John....i hope KW gives you a run.
Report spudmurphy May 3, 2016 6:45 AM BST
spudmurphy

spudmurphy
14 Apr 16 19:11
| Topic/replies: 146 | Blogger: spudmurphy's blog
Selby has the easiest quarter of the draw and will be fresh with him missing the last two tournaments and 12.5 on here looks too big to me

Hope many were on, The toughest mental man in the game.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com