Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
jed.davison
06 Jul 15 09:59
| Topic/replies: 11,992 | Blogger: jed.davison's blog
A list of sports where people win competitions, and we are expected to just ignore the fact that they are utterly crooked.

To see that corrupt individual lifting trophies turns my stomach. He should be in a factory, making £1 sandwiches for corner shops for the minimum wage, stripped of his titles, his ill-gotten earnings and whatever dignity he falsely believes he still possesses.

I'm done with the game. Its just another bent sport now.
Pause Switch to Standard View Snooker, Athletics, Cycling,...
Show More
Report Pokermonster July 6, 2015 5:50 PM BST
Good evening, Jed.  I hope you are well, sir.

Every time I have given examples of similar underhand shenanigans, witnessed first hand during my time in the game, the post is usually deleted within minutes.  For what it's worth, my own personal view is that the worst of the lot is undoubtedly horse racing.
Report paddletoe July 7, 2015 11:31 PM BST
I think snooker is very clean. It would be extremely difficult to throw a game for profit and get away with it. I mean what bookmaker is going to take a big bet on a game where there is relatively small prize money at stake such as most tournamenets.

This tabloid sting set out to entrap Higgins and he admittedly fell for it. I doubt it was a case of let see if Higgins can be bought and if he says no we will leave it at that. I would imagine they tried to get him in different ways until he said yes to a tournament he could justify losing a frame but still winning the match.
However, Higgins should have been thinking hold on a minute here - this is not a victimless crime. He was obviously only going to get paid a percentage of the profit affectively being stolen from punters backing against him in a certain frame who had no idea there was going to be a fix.
Report jed.davison July 8, 2015 9:47 AM BST
They set out to entrap him - on the off-chance you reckon? They just plucked the name of a four-time World Champion out of the air, and thought "yeah, he'll do?"

Maybe they'd seen a few of his matches, his Premier League match against the Nugget for instance? Even the day before he flew to Kiev, again against Davis, he's playing like here's somewhere more lucrative for him to be.
Report paddletoe July 8, 2015 1:28 PM BST
Fair point Jed about them having some clues (maybe Higgins manager) to buy Higgins if the money was right and he did not have to do that much in the way of actually throwing a tournament match.
But I doubt it was a case of trying to find out if Higgins was clean. It was more a case of doing whatever they could to make him dirty. Once the started the sting and invested so much money and time into it they were going to do everything to get something out of Higgins and they had total control of all the editing of any video tapes and could say what verbally was said or was not said prior to that meeting which was not on video.
They needed to get a big name player or else it would not have been a story. So they only had a small number of players to chose from so I think you need to bear that in mind when saying it could not be just lucky they got Higgins to do what he did from all the snooker players out there.
Report paddletoe July 8, 2015 1:34 PM BST
They needed a world champion snooker player for the story and a recent one at that so there were literally only a couple of players they could go after. I think it reasonable to think they did get lucky and when these front page tabloid journalists cover back page news they will often get a bit of news and exaggerate the facts.
How many times do you see total non event betting stories make the news which don't live up to their headline.
Report gentlemanjohn July 8, 2015 1:37 PM BST
"A few matches", Jed? Offhand I can only think of that Premier League one you mention as regards Higgins. Are there others that spring instantly to mind?

If you read Clive's book, I think he hints quite strongly at the circumstances around which Higgins was targeted. It may have something to do with his unwise choice of manager, but only in a roundabout way.

Never mind what the NOTW poxbottles left off the video, as revealing as all that might have been. They actually fabricated what they showed on video so desperate were they to concoct a story.
Report paddletoe July 8, 2015 5:57 PM BST
I think the circumstances of this particular incident are very dubious and it was far from a case of trying to get Higgins to do something which he had done before and that's why he was targeted.
Having said all that it was clear he was prepared to throw a frame in a minor match and he must have known if gets paid x then some people at the wrong end of the fix were going to lose x multiplied by several times his cut.
But I don't think Higgins has any previous form and he was probably pulled into this incident by his association with someone else and once the meeting was set up everything was done to make sure they got something on Higgins and you have no idea what offers he refused before they finally got him to say yes to what he did.
Report paddletoe July 8, 2015 6:01 PM BST
As for why would Higgins be picked out at random from a hat.... there would not be much of a front page story if you could prove the world number 20 had indeed match fixed and was willing to do it again.
Report gentlemanjohn July 9, 2015 4:28 PM BST
I certainly don't think Higgins was picked out by random from a hat or anything close to it paddle. I believe how and why he was targeted is a far more interesting story than the one the NOTW published, although I doubt the paper's discerning readers would have gone for it.
Report paddletoe July 9, 2015 5:27 PM BST
You cant tease like that GentlemanJim without giving more details.
Report gentlemanjohn July 9, 2015 5:36 PM BST
My apologies padd, there was no intention to tease. I don't know what the story is, just that there is one and I'd love to read it. I mean we know that the NOTW did not gather around the table one morning and decide, oh let's throw thousands of pounds at exposing a top snooker star and increase our readership by millions. They were handed a reason to do so, and that's what I believe the real juicy story is.

Mooney was a member of the wpbsa board, higgins had made a few enemies in his day....lots of potential for intrigue there i'd say.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com