Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
gobelins
05 May 15 19:50
| Topic/replies: 837 | Blogger: gobelins's blog
There was a lot of debate on here as to whether J.Trump would win this year's title, and no doubt the exact same debate will re-visited next April. Clearly, a lot will depend on how J.Trump reacts to that defeat to S.Bingham. There is a clear opening at the top of the game for someone to dominate and he looks the obvious choice, but it needs to be stated that he has only won 4 ranking events in his career so far. He still has plenty to prove and this was a huge opportunity missed.

When S.Maguire collapsed against J.Higgins in the 2007 World semi final, he was still expected to rise to the top of the rankings and win a World title. It never happened, and obviously it never will. Maguire has admitted that the pink he missed to the centre when poised to lead 15-10 still haunts him.

After J.Higgins won his 4th world title in 2011 he immediately targeted S.Hendry's 7 World titles. He did this because he saw that there was no dominant force in the game, and not likely to be one in the coming years (R.O'Sullivan then underwent a renaissance, and became the dominant force again until now).

Trump's Crucible record reads well, albeit with some question marks about him when it gets tight, and the fact that players seem to playing to a high standard in their late 30s means he has time on his side. That said he is not the new kid on the block any more, and he will be 26 when next year's marathon commences. Maybe he'll be in his prime, but this defeat has the potential to leave a huge mental scar. (The same applies to S.Murphy who was in the form of his life but couldn't finish S.Bingham off when ideally placed at 8-4. There must be a high likelihood that Murphy will never get a better chance to win a 2nd World title.)

Trump is currently 6/1 2nd favourite for the 2016 World Championship.
Pause Switch to Standard View Will J.Trump dominate snooker and win...
Show More
Report mitch leary May 5, 2015 8:00 PM BST
Trump could turn out like Jimmy White. Hope I'm wrong.
Report johnnythebull May 5, 2015 8:07 PM BST
well,he'll be needing a syrup like jimmy down the line
Report jed.davison May 5, 2015 10:50 PM BST
Yes, and yes.

He's the best player in the world, and he will get better.

I agree that there is a massive question mark about what that result will have done to him, but he didn't throw it away, he fought for his life and produced high-class snooker under pressure. The other guy just played better - I would think there would be more scars if he had played like an idiot and lost to an opponent who was there for the taking. I don't know that though, if it was me I still wouldn't have got out of bed.
Report Angel Gabrial May 5, 2015 11:39 PM BST
Possibly on reflection he will regroup better knowing that he lost to the World Champion. Yes it was a massive chance missed as he didn`t fire on all cylinders and only one frame away from the final, it will hurt because he thought this was his year like no other year, especially after the way he mullered Ding.
He will probably be a better player from this experience, he has more gears than someone like Stephen Maguire who gobelins mentions let defeats eat away at him. A touch more respect for table and opponent and he will get many more chances.
However, you only need to meet one inspired player in this game and are sent packing.
He should forget about being an entertainer if he wants to be a winner. If he does that, he will win 2 or 3.
Report thegiggilo May 6, 2015 1:53 AM BST
He bottled it and played poorly,simple as that if he'd played like he did against ding he wouldv'e won by 4-5 frames,fortunately most of the players are mugs so he could easily win one even playing poorly,even though he himself still couldn't play the maholes well enough...
Report Angel Gabrial May 6, 2015 2:08 AM BST
The expectation got to him giggilo, he has to overcome that because it won`t go away, in fact it will intensify. Although Bingham took everyone by surprise, Trump looked pale as soon as the scoreboard was going against him. He never recovered, i see he is blaming bad fortune for losing that final frame. He needs an attitude change, he should manage it though.
Report thegiggilo May 6, 2015 2:20 AM BST
His reply should've been I bottled it and played like a mug,making excuses just makes it look even worse can't even see it,thats a bad sign certainly wouldn't rely on him in future just to unpredictable.
Report gentlemanjohn May 6, 2015 9:16 AM BST
Judd will always have his flaws, attacking snooker and the need to entertain is his DNA. Easy to say I'm going to change but when chips are down those instincts return and what AG calls muscle memory kicks in. Smurph has fought his basic instincts for 10 years and never really found a satisfactory resolution, it's not easy. Mind you, Judd is so blindingly talented, it could be enough to sweep him to the title on its own.
Report paddletoe May 6, 2015 10:07 AM BST
He will probably win the world tittle but depends what you mean by dominating snooker. If you use the previous players who have dominated snooker to provide the definition of domination then of course he will not dominate snooker. No one will probably replicate that kind of dominance.
Possible you could see a young Chinese player come through at an early age but it would not be easy for a teenage Chinese player to cope with being away from his home environment.
Report paddletoe May 6, 2015 10:11 AM BST
I would lay over or under 1 and a half world titles and give odds of 21/20 on both today if anyone wants that bet.
Report Angel Gabrial May 6, 2015 10:45 AM BST
The importance of character must not be underestimated in snooker. You need a certain character to win it.
Report bobweenit May 6, 2015 12:52 PM BST

May 5, 2015 -- 2:00PM, mitch leary wrote:

Trump could turn out like Jimmy White. Hope I'm wrong.

Hope your right never smiles no Charisma and his attacking game that he brought that got him 2 his World final was great now his game is riddled with errors as he doesn't know how 2 approach the game properly. Goes from great pot 2 mugger in seconds. 1 thing I would bet every penny on is Moiphy will never win it again!

Report trebor May 6, 2015 12:57 PM BST
Judd has the bottle to win the world championship there is no worries on that for me, I does not matter who you are tho you have to play every single shot with respect. The game nowadays is all about potting or so we are told, that for me is wrong, Ok I accept that the old game of the 80's is not going to win you much now, but some players, Judd being one of them play too much attack.

I think most would agree that Tiger Woods has pretty good bottle, he plays a very attacking game as well, he has the power game in golf that Judd has in snooker, but he does not hit a driver off every tee or go for every pin, each shot is calculated and that is what Judd is poor at at the moment.

One more thing on pressure, I like to listen to the interviews before the game, really liked what Bingham said, something like "I might not be able to bring my game to the final, but if I can it should be a good final" I know that's not the exact words but the jist if it is he accepted the final was a step or many steps further than he had ever been before, and letting that out for everyone to hear takes some pressure off of you.
Report Angel Gabrial May 6, 2015 1:05 PM BST
As gracious as Murphy was in defeat he will be devastated. He has spoken about how last year he had to psychoanalyse himself to see if he was a bottler or not, he probably thought to himself he had rectified the losing habit this season, but as well as Bingham played in the final, Murphy`s head went awol again when it mattered. He was the one that had the cue ball on a string when 8-4 up, but unlike the very best he lacked killer instinct to tighten the screw. He thought the trophy was his and his focus slackened off enough to give Bingham all the chances he needed.
Report Angel Gabrial May 6, 2015 1:09 PM BST
trebor

Bingham did similar before the semi with Trump. He said he was overwhelmed to be there and that he hoped the occasion wouldn`t get to him, but if it did, it did.

He was certainly in nothing to lose mode against Judd who was in everything to lose mode. But only one player was putting it all in on every shot and that was Bingham.
Report Angel Gabrial May 6, 2015 1:14 PM BST
Also it`s how you attack, if you attack by belting a few balls, it teaches your arm to do the wrong things, which it remembers when you least expect it.

I play guitar and muscle memory certainly has a life of it`s own.
Report bobweenit May 6, 2015 1:15 PM BST
Ronnie will sort himself out 4 the next few I imagine don't know where his mind was this time but he will win again if he get's it right . Not that I know but there must be a couple of talents about to come through the ranks who r around the 15-18 age bracket and compete . Time waits 4 no man and Dudds time has passed. The strange thing is I never seen it personally when he lost 2 higgins but my Mrs said he will never have a beyter chance than this year it 's all gone 2 his head already talking about buying Ferrais mote interested in the cash than the gameWink
Report trebor May 6, 2015 1:33 PM BST
Ronnie's getting old now and since the age of about 8 I guess all he has ever heard is how good he is going to be or how good he is, all worthy comments I would add, but it has to be getting to Ronnie that his game is in decline, don't think he is the sort of guy to take that well, no matter how much he practices, and not sure if Ronnie enjoys practicing, he will not be as good as he was 10 years ago.
I am not saying he can't win again, but he will hate losing more often.
Davis loved the game kept on playing, Hendry enjoyed winning gave it up. O'Sullivan ???
Report gentlemanjohn May 6, 2015 2:07 PM BST
Agree that this might hurt Murphy even more than Trump. I think because he was a very gracious loser and played his part in a thrilling final, people have missed the harsh truth here and it is that Murphy didn't fight to the end, at least not to the bitter end anyway. When he lost that long drawn out safety exchange to go behind again, he effectively raised the white flag and cried No Mas. In the last frame he just started throwing his shoulder at shots, already having made his peace with defeat I believe, merely hoping for a quick and merciful death.

Even against an opponent playing such good and fearless snooker, and at the point of no return, I would have expected him to put up a better fight than he did.
Report gentlemanjohn May 6, 2015 2:12 PM BST
As for Ronnie..i hate to even second guess. Still good enough definitely to win another title, but all about his attitude. This year it stank, next year ????? Seems to be trying to cut it lately as the savvy businessman...dont think it suits him somehow. Not sure he could hack life without playing snooker...not just yet anyway.
Report GRANTCKING May 6, 2015 2:40 PM BST
simple for me, if trump learns to play % snooker when the situation arises insead of going for 4 or 5 out of 10 shots he will win the world championhip many times
Report sheppy123 May 6, 2015 2:43 PM BST
It seems to me that although Ronnie wanted to win, he was bored and didn't make the required effort. I think he was looking for excitement in other ways, such as asking the audience for some shoes, putting his chalk on the table, and stealing the cue ball etc. It all seemed so innocent, but I believe he was fully aware of his actions trying to create controversy.

When he was being interviewed he was kind of rocking backwards and forwards. It was like the actions of a mad man!
Report appformat May 7, 2015 12:17 AM BST
Think he might win a few WC's in his 30's
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com