Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
gentlemanjohn
04 May 15 14:48
| Topic/replies: 3,361 | Blogger: gentlemanjohn's blog
A very good close-up shot on Bingham potting the last brown there. Looked to me like he rotates the butt of the cue just on the point of delivering it through the white, which woudl strike me as being very unusual?
Pause Switch to Standard View Bingham's cue action
Show More
Report Pokermonster May 4, 2015 3:27 PM BST
He's all torque.
Report gentlemanjohn May 4, 2015 3:56 PM BST
Ok guess that explains it PM, probably not uncommon so, but did look a bit odd seeing it.
Report gobelins May 4, 2015 4:02 PM BST
pokermonster is cranking it up when it matters just like Bingham.
Report gentlemanjohn May 4, 2015 4:06 PM BST
Yep and i think i just fell for one Happy
Report gobelins May 4, 2015 4:10 PM BST
I had to look up what torque meant gentlemanjohn!! pokermonster has slipped a few of these in over the past week or so.
Report Pokermonster May 4, 2015 4:11 PM BST
Sorry, John, I was being facetious.  I hadn't noticed Stuart rotating his cue, it could just be a quirk or a trick of the camera.  Many players twirl the cue in their hand just before the first few feathers but, as you say, doing so in the final delivery would be most unusual.
Report gentlemanjohn May 4, 2015 4:23 PM BST
DOnt apologise PM, always appreciate a good pun and that was actually plausible enough to reel me in!! Maybe it was a camera illusion, but i did rewind and watch twice and i'd swear my life on it there is half a cue rotation just prior to impact. You need to be right behind the shot to see it though.
Report trebor May 4, 2015 5:25 PM BST
I would say it's not an illusion, it happens to lots of players, in Bingham's case it is because he keeps his elbow high and too the inside, this causes his wrist to bow slightly through the shot, compare that to Murphy or Davis or any player who let's the elbow drop through the shot and their cue probably won't rotate, then compare it to someone like Lee, who does the very opposite to Bingham, his elbow drops and moves to the outside during power shots, his wrist finishes more cupped  and I dare say his cue would rotate in the opposite direction.
Report gentlemanjohn May 4, 2015 5:38 PM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll7yI84pzd8

It's at that link 20.24 if anyone's interesting in having a look. Dont have the benefit of slow-mo with that, but still looks very noticeable to me.

That's interesting trebor. I'm no technical swat, but I do remember having a lesson from a qualified coach many years ago, and one thing he kept doing was leaning on my elbow when I played a shot to lower it. Also tried to get me to rest my thumb flat on the cloth when using screw, but I never felt comfortable with it and not sure I see any of the pros doing that either.
Report trebor May 4, 2015 6:10 PM BST
I would find it hard to tell from that shot, it's is not a normal Bingham set up anyway as he is having to reach in that set up more.
I go back to when I first started I had the Steve Davis book and tried to copy what he did,and the up and down the spots for hours, I also put a mark on the top of the cue and remember it finishing off centre depending on how I set up.
Report Angel Gabrial May 4, 2015 6:15 PM BST
Because he was ever so slightly stretching on that shot, his was right on the butt end of the cue, he added wrist action to get through the shot.
Report Angel Gabrial May 4, 2015 6:16 PM BST
Sorry, without any typos.

Because he was ever so slightly stretching on that shot, his hand was right on the butt end of the cue, he added wrist action to get through the shot.
Report gentlemanjohn May 4, 2015 6:37 PM BST
Ah fair enough, usually a simple explanation for these things!
Report Pokermonster May 4, 2015 7:32 PM BST
Some aspects of Stuart's cue action could hardly be described as classic, it often seems all over the place to me during its final delivery.  That said, of course, here he is on the verge of winning the most prestigious title in the game so he clearly knows what's best for him.

I wonder if Stuart's slightly unorthodox style has anything to do with the sight right routine, as invented by his coach, Stephen Feeney?

http://www.sightrightcues.com/
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com