Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Pokermonster
26 Apr 15 15:50
| Topic/replies: 3,361 | Blogger: Pokermonster's blog
I'm enjoying this year's championship immensely, a great standard of play being displayed and some exciting matches.  How do others see it?
Pause Switch to Standard View One of the best ever world...
Show More
Report Pokermonster April 26, 2015 3:52 PM BST
So far I should have added!
Report gentlemanjohn April 26, 2015 4:08 PM BST
It's shaping up nicely have to say. McGill's emergence has added to it, hopefully he keeps it up.

From memory, 1999 stands out for me, all the greats at top of their game, pushing each other all the way. And maybe Higgins (John) first victory in 199something, when he beat Crafty in the final, last time i was at the crucible, utterly brilliant snooker played that year.
Report gentlemanjohn April 26, 2015 4:09 PM BST
1998 of course it was*
Report gentlemanjohn April 26, 2015 4:14 PM BST
Could also add players not having cue ball cleaned every second shot has added immensely to enjoyment levels. Maybe the got kick thing sorted out this time or something else.
Report Pokermonster April 26, 2015 4:17 PM BST
Yes, you're right, there haven't been that many kicks this year.  A result of players cueing well, perhaps?
Report pan07 April 26, 2015 4:20 PM BST
big bounces are the new kicks in other words i hit it to hard
Report Angel Gabrial April 26, 2015 7:26 PM BST
Are the players cueing better out of necessity because the tables demand it so?
Report Howellsy April 26, 2015 7:56 PM BST
Yes I am also relishing this year's event more than most first weeks, but some v uncompetitive sessions today and tomorrow. However, this could lead to some cracking quarters.
Report ccd April 26, 2015 8:11 PM BST
Yup. Poor day at the Crucible today roll on the quarters.
Report Angel Gabrial April 26, 2015 8:18 PM BST
Nice bit of potting practice for the big guns today.

Ronnie looks in good touch
SMurph looks like a **** in good touch
Trump oozing class, obviously in good touch
Robbo in good touch
Report jed.davison April 26, 2015 8:26 PM BST
Didn't think Ronnie was cueing very well earlier, despite the score. Think Murphy folds against the very best players, can't have him at all.
Report ccd April 26, 2015 8:41 PM BST
Is Ding on 2moro?
Report jed.davison April 26, 2015 8:46 PM BST
No, can't be, he's waiting for Judd.
Report johnnythebull April 26, 2015 8:49 PM BST
they all look good when they've got no opposition
let's see what they're like
when they're getting it up them,Mr. Mainwaring
they can all make mistakes at crucial times
think this year the winner will be he that does that less often at the crucial times when the matches are tight
Report ccd April 26, 2015 9:22 PM BST
Not one of the best (yet) but certainly one of the most fascinating. Could be a vintage year if all the top guns keep firing.
Report ccd April 26, 2015 9:28 PM BST
Tomorrow is basically a day off, with the lot that played today just finishing up. Got to be gutted if you bought a ticket for today and travelled up from london or something. Could only be 2 or 3 frames then home time!
Report peckerdunne April 26, 2015 9:40 PM BST
Dont see any evidence to support the 'best ever' theory...

What are people looking at....

yes a few tons, so what. Dont tell you all.
Report jed.davison April 26, 2015 10:03 PM BST
Tend to agree with peckerdunne, bit early to be anointing it.

That said, it does have the potential, will b a decent last eight. The McGill story could go further, Ronnie v Judd best of 33 looms, Robertson flying, Murphy playing well, could Ding surprise us all?

It doesn't suit everyone's narrative, but on the standard of its best players, this is the best top four or five players for a good while IMO.

Don't know whether its the best, but my runner is still running, there's some great snooker being played, I'm really enjoying it and it could get several levels better.
Report gentlemanjohn April 26, 2015 10:09 PM BST
Well looks like 6 of top 8 seeds will make q/fs while other 2 are world no.10 and the most exciting qualifier we've seen since, well, Trump i suppose. Dont think that's happened for a while. Think Hawkins managed to get to a semi without even playing a seed, no free passes in evidence this year.
Report jed.davison April 26, 2015 10:18 PM BST
I want to see a trump Robertson final. Think there could be some proper needle in that, trump was seriously ****ed off here last time. I think it could bring out his very best snooker.
Report gentlemanjohn April 26, 2015 10:23 PM BST
I'd have that for sure. The one who's intriguing me is Ding, had written him off which i now understand is dangerous when its a guy with such obvious talent. The thing thats unnerving me is he's smiling and lookign happy which could mean anything or nothing. But its adding hugely to the mystique of this tournie.
Report jed.davison April 26, 2015 10:50 PM BST
I really like ding as a bloke, got a lot of time for him. Would just be worried abut his fragility resurfacing under pressure, because as a player pure and simple he's as good as any of them.
Report thegiggilo April 26, 2015 11:56 PM BST
Best cue action in the game by a mile,the stun run throghs he plays over distance off cushions are signs of just how much he must practise,no one on the game plays the shot the same as him.Probably underestimates himself and not as much self belief as he should have ashame he has to meet trumop as I'd really like to see hom win at some point.
When he's not break building he appears to have no B game,very little thought into the safety side of the game although I think if he played his absolute best safety wouldn't really matter as he has it in him to annihilate anyone on his day..
Report Angel Gabrial April 27, 2015 4:01 AM BST
Best cue action in the game by a mile

Simply not true, and no one plays shots like Ronnie. Uniqueness not is not a sign of `having the best`.

What probably isn`t noticed about Ronnie`s cue action is his control over his grip and how he alters the squeeze for certain shots. For me it is Ronnie that has the best cue action in the game by a mile yet strangely enough it`s something that is hardly ever mentioned because apparently it`s all been down to his `genius`

There are plenty of android like actions out there and Ding has something similar put they are one dimensional.
Report jed.davison April 27, 2015 9:34 AM BST
I'd have Ronnie's cueing over anyone's. Obviously we all have our bad days, but when he's hitting it well there is nobody like him. Probably have Judd next, he ain't getting all that zip on the ball out of nowhere.
Report Angel Gabrial April 27, 2015 9:50 AM BST
Ronnie`s deliverance of the cue is poetry in motion when on song Jed, the follow through and timing is different class to anything else and those tiny adjustments to his grip keep the cue ball on a string. Stephen Lee had the next best i think, Judd is certainly getting through the ball better than before.
Report jed.davison April 27, 2015 9:56 AM BST
Yeah the fat boy hit it like a God, shame he didn't have a bit more self-control. But then its a shame I haven't either, so shouldn't knock him too much.

I lucky enough to remember most of the greats of the modern game, John Spencer made them all look like hackers, his cueing was simply perfect.
Report gentlemanjohn April 27, 2015 10:06 AM BST
For economy of effort, I like watching Robertson, seems to generate lots of power without striking the cue ball very hard. Though i dont know if that's down to cueing or something else.
Report jed.davison April 27, 2015 10:13 AM BST
He's done some serious work on his cueing the last couple of years Robertson, but I'm not sure its made him a better all-round player. Its very noticeable how still he is on the shot nowadays, like he's bracing his whole body to prevent any movement at all. I just think this has taken something out of his game, although clearly his break-building is of a much higher standard than it was.
Report Angel Gabrial April 27, 2015 10:52 AM BST
John Spencer? I am sure Jed? his action was similar to that of Alex Higgins without as much body twitch.

This is a good clip Jed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz-ws_BnnuA
Report thegiggilo April 27, 2015 10:53 AM BST
Trump can do things with the cueball o'sullivan could only dream about,ding when he's at his best his positional play is so specific techinically his cueing is better than anyones,if you're on abour cue power etc youcould jimmy etc into it Stephen lee and trump.
Report Angel Gabrial April 27, 2015 10:53 AM BST
John Spencer? Are you sure Jed?Shocked his action was similar to that of Alex Higgins without as much body twitch.

This is a good clip Jed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz-ws_BnnuA
Report Angel Gabrial April 27, 2015 10:55 AM BST
ding when he's at his best his positional play is so specific techinically his cueing is better than anyones,

So you think that Dings positional play is better than Ronnies? that`s an odd one to come out with gig.
Report paddletoe April 27, 2015 10:59 AM BST
As I get older I find every world snooker championship, world cup, olympics no matter how good the standard might be only serves to take me a year further away from those special landmark moments of my childhood which nearly all evolved around sports, either playing or watching.
No one else feel that way?
Report thegiggilo April 27, 2015 11:01 AM BST
The only time you get to see ding play well is over these longer matches,his positional play is the best I've ever seen as it's so specific you can tell when he [practises he's not playing for an area he' playing to be directly behind each object ball.Just ashame he doesn't produce often enough..
Report Angel Gabrial April 27, 2015 11:04 AM BST
Trump can do things with the cueball o'sullivan could only dream about

The reason Ronnie is so admired is because of his cue ball control(among other matters of his snooker brain) but without having the best cue ball control in the game he would not be were he is today. To suggest otherwise is barmy.
Report Angel Gabrial April 27, 2015 11:07 AM BST
So Ding has the best positional play you have ever seen? so why does he break down in the balls more than Ronnie then?
Report gentlemanjohn April 27, 2015 11:08 AM BST
Even a complete technical nincompoop like me can see that precision is ronnie's greatest gift, how quickly he sees the next shot in a break and how effortlessly he manoeuvres the white into a position to execute it. Its the one gift age hasn't diminished as far as i can see.
Report Angel Gabrial April 27, 2015 11:11 AM BST
Just ashame he doesn't produce often enough.. - ok you seem to have answered itLaugh

It`s because he can`t do it consistently, shame about that.
Report gentlemanjohn April 27, 2015 11:17 AM BST
As I get older I find every world snooker championship, world cup, olympics no matter how good the standard might be only serves to take me a year further away from those special landmark moments of my childhood which nearly all evolved around sports, either playing or watching.
No one else feel that way?

A condition commonly known as nostalgia i guess. Whereby people can often recite the 1-2-3 of every Derby or Grand National of the 70s or 80s, but will struggle to tell you the winner last year!

And I still miss Alex Sad
Report Angel Gabrial April 27, 2015 11:18 AM BST
John, of course you are right.

Ronnie doesn`t pot balls others can`t, that`s not his gift. His gift is cue ball control, he precision of his positional shots make his next shot almost elementary. He has been doing this for 20 odd years now and he is still the one to beat because of his cue ball control.
Report jed.davison April 27, 2015 11:19 AM BST
Think Spencer was diagnosed quite early with some nervous affliction, was known as the rolls Royce of cue actions at one stage.
Report Angel Gabrial April 27, 2015 11:26 AM BST
Read this jed. made me chuckle a tad.

He first noticed something was amiss when he felt unwell at the Pontin's professional tournament in 1984. When the news broke in the press of Spencer's condition, he noted that only two players directly sent messages to him. One was Cliff Thorburn, the other was Alex Higgins, who turned up at his house, complete with bottle of Bacardi which Higgins drank as Spencer was not allowed alcohol at this point
Report gentlemanjohn April 27, 2015 11:32 AM BST
Nice one Angel. Was Spencer that unpopular that the only well-wishers he could attract were two of the game's deadliest enemies, Thorburn and Higgins? Always thought he was a well-liked bloke.
Report jed.davison April 27, 2015 11:36 AM BST
Lol angel, rings true that story.
Report thegiggilo April 27, 2015 11:46 AM BST
Angel Gabrial
     27 Apr 15 11:11   

Just ashame he doesn't produce often enough.. - ok you seem to have answered itLaugh

It`s because he can`t do it consistently, shame about that

He was doing it consistently for several seasons,it's all in his head now like many players if he got the break through of winning the worlds I'm prettu sure he would be twice the player he currently is..
Report Angel Gabrial April 27, 2015 11:51 AM BST
He was well liked John, he and Reardon were never close but respectful rivals. He was a bit of a prankster back in the day, but i guess the communication we have today would have resulted in more well wishers acknowledging his plight.

As a kid i went with my father to the Pontins pro-am event and remember getting all the autographs and Spencer being gent. I lost my first autograph book in the arcades and had to get all of their autographs again. Steve Davis as a teenager calling me a squirt, Alex rubbing my head and Fred Davis ignoring me. I treasured that book for years to come but have since lost it from house moving. I had them all.
Report GRANTCKING April 27, 2015 1:28 PM BST
R2 has been poor viewing, only one competitive game Cry
Report ccd April 27, 2015 1:56 PM BST
Yeah. The weaker players have been battered like chip shop sausages.
Report Angel Gabrial April 27, 2015 2:38 PM BST
Distraught if you have tickets for the final sessions.
Report pan07 April 27, 2015 3:10 PM BST
the quaters are top class tho shud make up for it apart from ronnie v binghamCryCryCry
Report FatherMaguire April 27, 2015 4:48 PM BST
I'm really enjoying this year, even though today feels like a day off. Had the bonus of going yesterday to the first session of Judd v Fu, and great to see how supportive of the tournament Sheffield is - will be there every year now. Quarters and semis look extremely promising, Wednesday in particular should be great viewing
Report Pokermonster May 4, 2015 12:19 AM BST
It has already been one of the best ever championships for me, definitely in my top five out of the thirty plus I've seen.
Report pandora1963 May 4, 2015 12:26 AM BST
this final, so far has been one of the most memorable i can remember. The rest of the tourny has been pretty good not the best though.
Report GRANTCKING May 4, 2015 11:54 AM BST
after the shambles of the 2nd round he tournament has come alive I have to say, breath of fresh air not having ronnie in the final destroying some poor so
Report GRANTCKING May 4, 2015 11:54 AM BST
sod
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com