Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Meat Loaf
23 Dec 09 19:38
| Topic/replies: 3,369 | Blogger: Meat Loaf's blog
You can hardly play snooker in arenas holding 10 thousand people with people getting pi$$ed like darts.

What exactly is he planning??
Pause Switch to Standard View HOW WILL BARRY HEARN TURN SNOOKER...
Show More
Report pandora1963 December 23, 2009 8:29 PM GMT
more premier league type stuff,thats been a huge success hasnt it,NOT
Report The Mod father December 23, 2009 11:13 PM GMT
Can see the bbc keeping there 4 tourneys, but I reckon another couple will get set with Sky getting involved.

Will also do a lot more to promote the game abroad
Report the parkie December 26, 2009 6:10 PM GMT
Nude female referees, putting there hands in pockets and touching balls.
Report crazeeplaya December 27, 2009 12:37 PM GMT
fundamentally it's going to be difficult for him to make it a 'mainstream' sport and get the ratings and fame like it had in the 80s. however he'll hopefully grow it internationally and use some of his skills to create stunts which will get it in the press more.

however things like 'darts' intros (which only work when there are 1,000-odd 'enhanced' fans') are not going to work, and neither will things like the snooker 6.

people need to remember that snooker really gained popular success by accident. pot black came about after it was discovered that snooker was a great test for colour tv back in the 60s.

flash forward to the 80s. limited tv channels, no internet, and the relative inexpense of covering snooker meant that people were widely exposed to it. 'characters' were thus born: prolonged exposure to the even the likes of griffiths, taylor, thorne, meo etc (no disrespect to them) meant that even they - not the most likely of 'personalities'- developed some kind of fame based on something other than their snooker skills.

then you had the likes of real characters such as the hurricane, and the david-taylor final which acted as a kind of collective experience which remained in the national psyche.

25 years later it could be argued that snooker has done well to remain as high profile as it has. it probably faces a major challenge in 30 years time or so when the young fans from the 80s begin to die off - it would be interesting to see a breakdown of its current viewer share to see just how many teenagers are watching. it's more likely to be 40+ in terms of age - the people who were kids during the first boom fo the 80s.

there are still characters today, real ones, ronnie being the most famous, but it faces a whole host of competition from other forms of entertainment.

aware I haven't offered solutions - except that for the very long term future youth need to get interested now - but have been thinking about this myself recently and this is how i have seen it. hopefully bh will do a good job.
Report The Calculator December 28, 2009 8:36 AM GMT
I'd like to see BH and his crew update the ranking system.
I think it is pretty outdated in this day and age to have a world ranking that is only updated annually, and hence seedings on big events can be based on form from over a year ago, and a player could, in theory, not be seeded for the World Championship despite winning every world ranking event that season.

I guess Hearn will keep the status quo with the bigger events on the tour (don't think he'll tinker with the worlds or the UK), but might bring in small changes in some of the other ranking events - ie the shot clock, or some other innovation - like 6 reds maybe.
Weekend events, with each match being best of three are being mooted. And although not great for the purist, I think this will (hopefully) bring in a few new fans to the sport. Personally I wouldn't mind these being given ranking points (although much smaller allocation than the main events) - and give some players more than just 6 events a year to participate in.

I think he'll try to bring in the "rivalry" factor - and build up matches more.
When Phil Taylor plays Barneveld, Sky make a massive meal of it - and they'll devote a lot of time to the match before it takes place - but we never see that in snooker.

On a personal note, I wouldn't mind at all, if the whole show moved over to Sky. But a lot of people would be up in arms with that - and I don't think it will happen.
Report Murphinator1 December 29, 2009 1:32 AM GMT
Thing is BBC (when live) cover snooker brilliantly. Commentators are insightful, knowlegable and experienced. The Premier League is so drab its untrue and Sky's coverage is poor. But the Grand Prix and the UK have been top notch this year. I think people have to realise that you cant reduce the game to 6 balls or bring shot clocks even. Maybe you could let the crowd have a beer or two though!

One thing for sure that giving Jimmy White a wildcard to the Master's doesn't really help anyone and it is nothing but a short term decision. I hope thats not a sign of things to come. However the previous two posters make very good points and I have to say that most snookerfans are in their late twenties or over.
Report onetruesaxon1964 December 29, 2009 7:33 AM GMT
watever hearn does its a bonus walker took the**
Report Poolio December 29, 2009 11:53 AM GMT
The Calculator 28 Dec 09:36

I'd like to see BH and his crew update the ranking system.
I think it is pretty outdated in this day and age to have a world ranking that is only updated annually, and hence seedings on big events can be based on form from over a year ago, and a player could, in theory, not be seeded for the World Championship despite winning every world ranking event that season.

I agree with this, I'd like to see snooker rankings work like they do in tennis where they are updated after every week of tournaments.

I would also hate to see snooker played with 6 reds regularly. I don't understand why innovations that make it like pool are popular with some people. Pool is hardly a massive worldwide sport and I am not sure if it is growing worldwide, it seems fairly stagnant to be honest.

The beauty of snooker is that it is a clever game, tactics are involved and it is the mixture of snooker-based safety exchanges and 5minute century breaks that interest current fans. Snooker is a gentlemans game, the dress code and etiquette add to this as well as the silence during play. Snooker is a sport with a lot of prestige and history and I personally would hate to see the game broken down into a glorified pool match with drunken fans cheering on shots like in darts.

I personally would like to see a lot more tournaments being played, especially abroad. The calender at the moment is a bit of a joke. I also think these days there aren't as many characters, the modern day pros are too mechanical and just turn up to play their matches in robot like fashion, not too much is known about their personalities.

One thing is for sure though Barry Hearn faces a tough task, these days where there are so many viewing alternatives and so many other mediums for sporting entertainment, making snooker more appealing to the masses will be difficult.
Report Dr Uce December 29, 2009 11:44 PM GMT
Personally i dont feel as though there is anything wrong with the game of snooker. A lot of people who watch it on TV relax with the intricate and artistic qualities of the game. Nevertheless we have to get the kids interested. It does not have the organic flow of Golf, which is outdoors and played globally and it is hard for players outside the top 16 to make it pay. We need more tournaments but we dont need X factor type razzle dazzle. We need Tournament sponsors to offer big bonuses for a Player to win The World plus the Masters etc.
Report The Calculator December 30, 2009 6:35 AM GMT
One very minor change I'd like to see is changing the start times of the final sessions of finals.
In the last couple of years, we've had the final session of the world championship starting at 8pm, and when you have a possible eleven frames (or more if you've cut the previous session short - which has happened recently), you're looking at a late finish.
If you've got a possible five hour final session - then 7pm-12 has got to be better than 8pm-1am - especially if people have to be up for work the next morning. You'll keep more casual viewers this way.
I know Davis v Taylor had record figures - but recent late finishes haven't been particularly enthralling - and people have gone to bed, rather than stay up and watch what should be the biggest moment of the season.
Report Win only - Sp only December 30, 2009 2:58 PM GMT
make them play with club cues
Report foolds gold December 30, 2009 3:23 PM GMT
:x
Report ihatehwb December 31, 2009 7:22 AM GMT
at mid session intervals on tv they should do a draw and pick someone from the crowd who gets the ball in the D, black on it;s spot and if you pot the black in any pocket you win 10k or something similar.
Report minardi December 31, 2009 9:46 AM GMT
The ranking system should be applied globally and through Pro-ams as well depending on prize money.

So players chose their tournaments so for example an Australian player could get into the top 32 by winning tournaments in Australasia - to break into the big time you would still need to do well in the big UK tournaments.

For each tournament would need a minimum number of points to play in.

The concept of a professional and Amateur dissapears as any player could enter any ranking tournament providing they already have enough ranking points.
Report Kevin Nicholls is god December 31, 2009 10:32 AM GMT
HE WON'T
Report pandora1963 December 31, 2009 8:11 PM GMT
people forget that snooker still pulls in more viewing figures than most sports,even in this so called slump
Report Monkfish December 31, 2009 9:06 PM GMT
"people" forget this?

obviously sponsors do too, or they wouldn't be having a world champs without a sponsor or a UK championship sponsored by a pie company...
Report Monkfish December 31, 2009 9:07 PM GMT
The Calculator's point about times of finals is pretty important. Too many matches finishing very late makes it hard to keep up with unless you're a die-hard or have your bank on it...
Report Schalke 04 January 2, 2010 12:19 AM GMT
Hearn needs to open the game back up, it has to be one of the worst sports for new players to emerge and break into ....
Report ramone January 2, 2010 11:54 PM GMT
Alex Higgins will get a few wild card entries
Report numero uno January 7, 2010 12:00 PM GMT
barry hearn has no chance in succeeding in snooker.what he has achieved in darts is fantastic
but snooker needs radical changes & hearn hasnt the vision for bringing snooker forward sad
but true watch this space in 12 months time nothing will have changed perhaps more of that
stupid super 6s
Report numero uno January 8, 2010 10:31 AM GMT
12 months !! 24 hrs & guess what a new format PRO AM ....nonsensical garbage low quality
& was drab 20 yrs ago well done mr hearn perhaps you will introduce placards for when a player
gets 100... like 4s & 6s in cricket oh well ray reardon may get a wildcard next year!!
Report pandora1963 January 8, 2010 2:09 PM GMT
the problem hearn has is simple,cnooker players DONT WANT**ED UP CROWDS SHOUTING,they want QUIET on shots,so all the razzmatazz hearn bringhs and garbage formats like the premier league mean diddly squat,he will probably end up harming snooker more than doing it any good
Report pandora1963 January 8, 2010 2:10 PM GMT
snooker does not need naff new formats brought in like super 6 tripe,it needss more tournaments,simple as. That is all that is needed mr hearn,not**ing around with formats which just suit quicker players. MORE TOURNAMENTS that is all we want.
Report pandora1963 January 8, 2010 2:12 PM GMT
can you imagine john higgins walking itno a snooker arena will two page 3 bimbos either side? cringeworthy it would be to say the least,but im sure this is how hearn wants snooker to go,the way of darts,god help us
Report numero uno January 9, 2010 8:34 AM GMT
snooker needs new blood & a total rethink would like to see new sponsers come in & have
some input how to arrange a tournament without too many gimmicks.walker & hearn both
too old imo. some good points made on this thread but
Report michael knight January 9, 2010 6:22 PM GMT
Snookers popularity was always artificially high in days gone by anyway. I mean we had 4 tv channels one of which would be showing snooker. People had nothing else to watch. Kids didnt have computer games so its no wonder millions tuned in and the game became popular.

There is no way at all we could reproduce that in this decade.
Report R Carver January 9, 2010 11:29 PM GMT
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/jan/05/barry-hearn-snooker-masters-inte...
Report numero uno January 10, 2010 9:39 AM GMT
read the article above & just as i predicted hearn has no vision for snooker only interested
in his own self importance no surprise & no helping the ego of a sad old man
Report FTM Disco Pants January 10, 2010 9:56 AM GMT
http://betting.betfair.com/betting/snooker/snooker-betting-its-over-to-you-m...
Report The Calculator January 10, 2010 9:57 AM GMT
A decent first couple of weeks imo.
I wasn't sure about him bringing in Jimmy White as a wildcard (despite being a huge fan), but it seems to have got a buzz going about the event.
But more importantly, bringing in Pokerstars as a sponsor for the Masters is a very encouraging development.
Report numero uno January 10, 2010 10:21 AM GMT
isnt pokerstars part of hearns matchroom set up !!sponsers have prised themselves away from
snooker who can blame them.when your getting major comps sponsered by PUKKA PIES dont
that just sum up where snooker is.giving wildcards to 47yr old hasbeens is deffo the way
forward.. most fans love jimmy white but get real hearn is clueless where snooker is concerned
& the wildcard to white is bordering close to pathetic imo
Report the penguin January 10, 2010 1:44 PM GMT
uno itv were happy to put him in there flagship reality show
Report numero uno January 11, 2010 5:29 PM GMT
laughable how predictable it all is music walk ons how unoriginal !! poor jimmy should of stayed
in the jungle ... well done barry hearn snooker should be well & truly dead by 2012 ... this idiot
should resign & stick to darts
Report comeonkautostar January 11, 2010 5:52 PM GMT
Do not agree with the walk on music AT ALL.

:-(
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com