Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ed wolf
12 Dec 09 13:28
| Topic/replies: 131 | Blogger: ed wolf's blog
Done a decent job with Darts. Is he going to be a good thing for snooker?
Pause Switch to Standard View Is Barry Hearn good for snooker?
Show More
Report snooker backer December 12, 2009 1:37 PM GMT
Undoubtedly. They've had a greedy fat cat in charge for too long, at least he knows a bit about the game.
Report treble December 12, 2009 1:43 PM GMT
How radical will it be changed though?

I mean, I cant see noise, walk on music and beer being served like darts. Competely different game.

Deffo see a load more on Sky though, which will be good.

And I can see the sixes being more mainstream as well.
Report frames December 12, 2009 1:45 PM GMT
It can`t be worse.
He will leave the UK and Worlds alone , what he does with rest I`m not too bothered about.
Report treble December 12, 2009 1:47 PM GMT
Lifetime wildcard for Jmmy White most popular move he could make ;)
Report Jimmy Commas December 12, 2009 1:51 PM GMT
frames 12 Dec 14:45
It can`t be worse.
He will leave the UK and Worlds alone , what he does with rest I`m not too bothered about.

Not so sure he will. UK was final is best of 19 wheras used to be best of 31 although way back in 1992. Got a feeling he will rethink the worlds and change it a bit, but should only one man have this power/influence?
Report Eldrick December 12, 2009 2:12 PM GMT
he's got precisely the same power and influence as his predecessor

it's not like they have scrapped the entire structure within the sport and handed the whole lot over to hearn, he's just been given the job that was being done exceptionally badly by someone else
Report TCat December 12, 2009 2:13 PM GMT
Hearn practically ran the game when he controlled the Matchroom team
Report snooker backer December 12, 2009 2:14 PM GMT
I think the difference Eldrick is that he has got contacts, the gift of the gab, passion and the ability and drive to change outdated practices with the players backing. Walker never had the backing of the players and seemed to me a greedy self important oaf.
Report Eldrick December 12, 2009 2:15 PM GMT
yes agree - i was addressing the post from jimmy connors which implied hearn was getting too much power
Report Jimmy Commas December 12, 2009 4:22 PM GMT
who`s jimmy connors? ;)
Cheers eldrick, so hearn gets the same powers as Walker, ok point taken but it`s still within hearn`s jurisdiction to mess around with the UK and World Champs format which I think he may do, ie reducing the current length (frameswise) of matches.
We shall see when his blueprint for future snooker is printed.
Report EUGENE KRABS December 12, 2009 6:06 PM GMT
There have been a few things over the years ( the world doubles, the team world cup, the big jamboree thing in Birmingham ) spring to mind which worked because the game was so popular then ! Not sure what ideas he's got but I hope he doesn't go down the seniors tour route !
Report snooker backer December 12, 2009 6:08 PM GMT
The team event would be far more competitive now. Maybe a toured team event league like the Davis Cup in tennis, going to each country with a team. Including Europe and of course Thailand, Australia and China.
Report ccd December 13, 2009 1:07 PM GMT
Hearnes job is simply to make snooker appeal to Rupert Murdoch...
Report delz December 13, 2009 1:29 PM GMT
Hopefully won't hand cards with '147' printed on them over to the audience.
Report ccd December 13, 2009 1:58 PM GMT
hopefully not - Murdoch is the key really - fellow aussie neil robertson may help sell it too him - i dont mind a few crash-bash, razzmataz tournamounts on sky as long as the big two stay on the Beeb
Report snooker backer December 13, 2009 2:00 PM GMT
Davis was going on about a load of events with best of three frames matches in. Not sure that's a great idea myself.
Report Howdi December 13, 2009 4:34 PM GMT
what he has done with darts is incredible
Report Eldrick December 13, 2009 4:43 PM GMT
if they try to replicate the players champs tournaments on the darts circuit, that's about the equivalent length of match timewise as the best of 11 legs they play in those

a one day knockout event with (say) 96 players is going to have to be short format each round if you want to fit it in, they could have best of 5 in the finals maybe

it's not perfect, but it probably won't be on tv and it will still be very welcome match practice for all the players, and could provide a path into a new main event players champs for some unknowns
Report ianmcm December 13, 2009 8:52 PM GMT
"Barry Hearn was on holiday in Mauritius, but we tracked him down"

I bet you did, bloody freeloaders.
Report snooker backer December 13, 2009 8:54 PM GMT
He looks prawn-like to me and too much god talk for me ffs PMSL.
Report frames December 13, 2009 9:00 PM GMT
Is or was he Ronnie`s manager ?
Report snooker backer December 13, 2009 9:02 PM GMT
frames. I'm not sure ever was officially but you know as well as I do that they mixed in the same circles.
Report Churchill December 13, 2009 9:12 PM GMT
The first thing Hearn has got to do is to make the players promote their sport instead of moaning about it all the time. What sponsor in his right mind wants anything to do with a sport where the players taking part do nothing but complain. You get out of sport what you put into it, look at other sports that are thriving, the players in those sports never complain publicly about their own sport, they onl y praise it and say how lucky they are to be involved.
Report chumptastic December 13, 2009 9:14 PM GMT
frames 13 Dec 22:00

Is or was he Ronnie`s manager ?

he was ronnie's manager when ronnie was an amateur.
when ronnie was ready to turn pro, barry knew that he would need a full-timer, so he passed him onto del whathisface.
Report Graham Vs Green December 13, 2009 9:46 PM GMT
Hope he gets a tournament back to the Guild Hall in Preston.

Having a jar watching Jimmy doing his brains on the morning dogs from Brough park.
Report frames December 13, 2009 9:50 PM GMT
Thanks Chumptastic.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com