Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Saluting Darren Lockyer
12 Dec 09 06:54
| Topic/replies: 10,660 | Blogger: Saluting Darren Lockyer's blog
Perhaps somebody could explain why this guy is World No2 please .
Is the ranking system seriously flawed because being an ocassional snooker watcher i can't help but feel he's in a false position.
Perhaps i'm wrong but is this the reason why snooker is apparently in such a mess,i mean the guy hasn't even won a world championship but is rated n02 in the world.
what's wrong or am i mistaken and he's a great player in waiting.
Pause Switch to Standard View Stephen Maguire World No2 ?
Show More
Report snooker backer December 12, 2009 7:03 AM GMT
The rankings don't lie Darren. He's there by virtue of consistency rather than success. But his provisional ranking of 7 for next year is a bit nearer the mark. He's not a player that I rate highly, if he'd met a higher ranked player earlier in this he'd not have been there yesterday, but as he was, he will continue to be a top ten player next season I reckon, with draws like he had this week maybe even top five.
Report Saluting Darren Lockyer December 12, 2009 7:10 AM GMT
cheers,i'd agree with you,7 is more realistic for him,do you think the rankings system is flawed ?
I'm by no means an avid follower,the big snooker tournaments generally come along during quiet spells in the sporting calendar but honestly every time i watch him he seems to fail on the big stage and i fail along with him,sucked in by potential and hype.
Report snooker backer December 12, 2009 7:14 AM GMT
It's not something I have a strong opinion on really, but it's an issue for players at the bottom who only sometimes have one season to establish themselves rather than the two seasons that other players ranking points are accumulated. Unless you move to a one year system which would be more of a form table than a ranking list or a longer, say four season one, which would be more skewed as in theory it could keep someone in the top 16 even if they have a season not competing, I can't really think of a better alternative than the current one. But would be interested to hear if anyone else has a better idea.
Report snooker backer December 12, 2009 7:20 AM GMT
In terms of your original post, I'm sure there have been a few ranked number 2's down the years that haven't been world champions, Tony Knowles springs to mind and I'm sure Jimmy was there once too.
Report Saluting Darren Lockyer December 12, 2009 7:21 AM GMT
Interesting,cheers didn't realise its based on a 2 year system,perhaps the points allocation is skewed as well,i understand he's won 5 big tournaments in his career,which doens't seem like a lot to get to n02 in the world .
I merely offer it up as maybe a reason why snooker is failing to reach a wider audience,the "great general public" probably wouldn't recognise maguire if he walked past them in the street and yet he's an inch way from taking the top spot on current rankings and tbh looks a lot less tlented that players like higgins and o'sullivan.
Report Saluting Darren Lockyer December 12, 2009 7:29 AM GMT
Tony Knowles ,i suppose that sums it up really,maybe tony meo was up there as well ,along with the great wt,perplexing stuff this snooker game ! I suppose i've been watching the game on and off for the best part of 30 years when the likes of eddie charlton,steve davis and bill werby were doing their stuff ,players will come and go but only a few have transcended their sport,thinking of hendry,davis,o'sullivan now.In that time there has been plenty of n02 players but i coudln't tell you who they were.
Report Glasgow100 December 12, 2009 7:44 AM GMT
the ranking system is definately flawed, even the great stephen hendry was number 1 again about 2 or 3 years ago which he said he was embarassed about, considering he hadnt won a rankining tournament since around 2005. as there are only 6 ranking tournaments in a season, its impossible 2 get a true reflection. Unlike golf where there are tournaments every week.
Report snooker backer December 12, 2009 7:49 AM GMT
Take your point about Maguire, Darren. Not instantly recognisable, at least not for the right reasons to the man in the street. Glasgow makes a good point, it does seem fairer to reward winners, perhaps the gap between the points a winner gets and the runners up would give a truer picture of world rankings, but the two season thing should probably stay.
Report Saluting Darren Lockyer December 12, 2009 7:54 AM GMT
true ,perhaps it needs an overhaul and maybe barry hearn is the right man to do it so it can reach out to a wider audience and more importantly be understood by that wider audience.
You guys speak volumes and like yourselves there's some very clued up people on this forum but you don't want to stay insular or you'll have no one to pep up your balances !!
Yer a shrewd lot ,you snooker boyz.
Report Saluting Darren Lockyer December 12, 2009 7:58 AM GMT
and one last question lads.......................who wins today please
Report snooker backer December 12, 2009 8:02 AM GMT
If you take a look at the thread the Semi Finals I've nailed my colours firmly to Higgins, reasons are all on there. GL anyhow.
Report Saluting Darren Lockyer December 12, 2009 8:11 AM GMT
cheers,wish i'd read it yesterday morning !
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com