Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
northanlite
29 Mar 13 19:19
| Topic/replies: 13,502 | Blogger: northanlite's blog
Munster have 2 weeks to save their season. lose tonight and the play offs are gone and only the Quinns game left.

I was watching the Higlanders v Reds game this morning and the ref was being very strict on the 5 secs and use it rule which got me wondering just how those super effective Munster teams of the past would have coped with that. I remember them just getting the ball with 5 mins to go and that was that, the opposition were hardly even getting a glimpse of it again.
Has that rule had anything to do with them being a less effective team now????.
I suspect so
Pause Switch to Standard View Glasgow Warriors v Munster
Show More
Report yummy March 29, 2013 6:46 PM GMT
I would say that munster's relative deterioration ( plenty good teams out of the Heineken Cup) is more a result of the horrific litany of injuries and retirements that they have suffered in the last 3 years
Hayes
Flannery
O'Connell
Wallace
Quinlan
Leamy
Barry Murphy
Ronan
Dowling
Jones
O'Leary
Earls
All these guys bar Hayes suffered major injuries with 5 of them (flannery , leamy, Murphy, Dowling and Wallace) retiring prematurely.
We've seen this season how Ireland have suffered when a raft of injuries result in too many guys being thrown in together. It will take a season or two , but like Ireland a group of players have come through that will provide the backbone of a decent team for years to come.
The law changes definitely affected Munster however that 5 second rule at the base of rucks has had no affect. If a team leaves a ball at ruck base for 5 seconds the other team has 5 seconds to reset their defence so I don' see how that can benefit the side in possession
Quick ball is king and possibly the old art of slowing opposition ball down has been affected by the new laws. There in my opinion is a series of law changes that have affected munster's form
Report northanlite March 29, 2013 6:50 PM GMT
i obviously didn't mean it was the only reason but they were masters of eating up the clock. that of course only worked 'cos they tended to have a lead at that stage.
should be a good contest tonight as both sides will be desperate for a win.
a lot is being made of hogg & maitland back for glasgow but it is swinson i'm glad to see back. despite all the plaudits for strauss & matawalu he was outstanding in the winning run they had.
Report Ozymandius March 29, 2013 7:09 PM GMT
Munster played a territorial game with ROG working the corners and applying pressure.  When the laws changes and made it easier for teams to retain possesion, teams who could create and kept ball in hand, i.e Leinster, started to prevail.
Report yummy March 29, 2013 7:10 PM GMT
That new law has definitely improved the game . Since the clock has become such a feature in rugby unfortunately teams can spend up to 10 minutes trying to run down the clock . Any capable team can pick and jam all day and it is very difficult to dispossess them legally. On such occasions I'd like to see zero tolerance from the referee with regard to the team in possession . Watch for sealing off , hands placing the ball more than once ( a pet hate of mine) pillars in front of hind foot etc
Tonight should be a good game . Lions watchers will get a good look at the most recent Lions captain Paul O'Connell  continue his comeback . He was very good last week. Lineout was smooth carried and tackled well, scored his try. The one thing I commented on was his leadership . I'm on at 50's their are worse ways to drop a score.
Glasgow look a good outfit and unfortunately I think they will win tonight by 6-8
Report TheVis March 29, 2013 7:25 PM GMT
Will Glas be taking Matawalu off should they be in a winning position second half?
Report MCKENNA March 29, 2013 7:31 PM GMT
When you look at the two 9's on duty tonight, I get very worried from a Munster point of view. Hope Penney isn't considering Williams for the bench v Quins,Sheridan is a tidy little player.  Munster must know they have no real chance of getting into the Rabo playoffs and are gearing up for one big one on Sun week.

Can only see 1 winner in this game,think Glasgow -5 and unders are the calls in this one. GL.
Report TheVis March 29, 2013 7:36 PM GMT
Unders in a Glas game is a brave call Laugh
Report northanlite March 29, 2013 8:09 PM GMT
how nice munster turned up with a gift for the hosts
Report Biffo2010 March 29, 2013 8:19 PM GMT
What channel is this on...
Report RugbyMan March 29, 2013 8:22 PM GMT
Alba - 143 on my skybox. Took me 10 minutes to find it as it moved.
Report Biffo2010 March 29, 2013 8:24 PM GMT
Thanks Rugbyman
Report Monstrous Bryan March 29, 2013 8:32 PM GMT
Munster forwards well on top
Report northanlite March 29, 2013 8:33 PM GMT
munster playing with real ferocity, have to wonder if they can keep this pace up
Report MCKENNA March 29, 2013 8:37 PM GMT
Oh dear Duncan.
Report northanlite March 29, 2013 8:38 PM GMT
wow munster have had to work so hard for their 14 pts and glasgow have had to just catch a couple of idiot passes for theirs. that has to be soul destroying for a pack that have put in that kind of effort.
Report RugbyMan March 29, 2013 8:41 PM GMT
Why was that madman trying to run out of his in-goal? Munster used to be famous for their rugby intelligence........
Report Monstrous Bryan March 29, 2013 8:46 PM GMT
If Matawalu could pass the ball I think he would be ahead of Fotuali'i for player of the season
Report RugbyMan March 29, 2013 8:52 PM GMT
Both have been fantastic. Matawalu might be the neutrals choice because he is never, ever, boring....
Report northanlite March 29, 2013 8:53 PM GMT
considering the pitch is made of porridge that was pretty entertaining. glasgow have 14 more pts on the board than they should.
Report Monstrous Bryan March 29, 2013 9:10 PM GMT
Looks like the game is going to depend on how quickly Hodges calls maul
Report northanlite March 29, 2013 9:26 PM GMT
that was a very well worked try. glasgow back row, especially barclay, beginning to have a big say in this match
Report Monstrous Bryan March 29, 2013 9:28 PM GMT
Glasgow keeping it nice and loose. Hopefully that continues with Matawalu off
Report RugbyMan March 29, 2013 9:45 PM GMT
Jeez, Glasgow really are a serious team these days, running in tries for fun now. Nobody laid a hand on Hogg.
Report northanlite March 29, 2013 9:46 PM GMT
good shout from murchie giving jackson man of the match. he wasn't but after the season he has had if i was a galsgow player i would have done the same.
barclay was clear with wilson & strauss close but jackson had a fine 2nd half with a very good try
Report northanlite March 29, 2013 9:51 PM GMT
a very fitting finale imo
Report northanlite March 29, 2013 9:52 PM GMT
you just would not have seen a game like that had glasgow still been at firhill
Report Monstrous Bryan March 29, 2013 9:53 PM GMT
Remember when they were showing all the promise but not finishing anything earlier on in the season? Hope they can go on and win it. By far the most entertaining team in the Rabo.
Report RugbyMan March 29, 2013 9:55 PM GMT
When have Munster ever conceded 51 points before?
Report TheVis March 29, 2013 10:02 PM GMT
Osp scored 45 last year v them in the Rabo. Other than that they have apparently let in 60 v Blues in 2004 and the same v Toulouse in 96.  This certainly looks their worst in almost 10 years.
Report northanlite March 29, 2013 10:08 PM GMT
munster were damn impressive after they gifted that early try but (just to make myself look clever after the fact) i did mention that i could not see them keeping that pace up
Report northanlite March 29, 2013 10:12 PM GMT
almost impossible to see munster bounce back from that and beat quinns next week. you never know but........................
Report MCKENNA March 29, 2013 10:28 PM GMT
Would love to see Glasgow win it out now, agree they are great to watch and not afraid have a go from anywhere.  Was a bit wrong with my call on unders Laugh but never thought Munster would get stuffed by that much.
Penney has huge problems for next wk, 10 is a major issue, if he plays ROG, its good night God bless, Botha gives away so many pens by driving at an angle.
Report northanlite March 29, 2013 11:06 PM GMT
history was against you on the unders although the sate of the pitch should have given you some sort of chance
Report MCKENNA March 29, 2013 11:19 PM GMT
When a team gets 21 pts from intercepts, suppose it doesnt matter what the pitch is likeCrazy
Report northanlite March 30, 2013 12:40 AM GMT
fair shout and especially when the first is after 20 seconds.
we've all been there m8.
surely no group of people can have more empathy that punters?
Report MCKENNA March 30, 2013 2:39 PM GMT
Agreed north, wasnt being smart by the wayWink
Report northanlite November 28, 2016 12:30 AM GMT
now is the moment Derek
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com