Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
HU4ROLLZ?
04 Dec 12 22:09
| Topic/replies: 341 | Blogger: HU4ROLLZ?'s blog
Hi all,

Debate at work.

In terms of supremacy, what is more damaging to a team - 14 men on a rugby team (assume not hooker); or 10 men on a football. For this example, assume then rugby player is sent off (later we will try with sin binning), in the 20th minute; and the footballer in the 30th minute.

I know that the figure will change depending on the team (NZ vs Japan wouldn't make a difference) but on average, which is more damaging?

Thanks!
Pause Switch to Standard View How much is a red card worth odds-wise?
Show More
Report northanlite December 4, 2012 10:16 PM GMT
are you serious or fishing here???

if it is evenly matched teams then getting a player sent off in football is a problem but in rugby it is a disaster.
Report TheVis December 5, 2012 8:19 AM GMT
and is worse in league than union
Report benny_ROBS_roy December 5, 2012 12:35 PM GMT
london irish did well last week not to even concede a try after playing 68 mins with 14 men
Report HU4ROLLZ? December 5, 2012 2:13 PM GMT
@northanlite..not trolling - I was firmly in the rugby camp but was challenged. Thanks.
Report HU4ROLLZ? December 5, 2012 2:13 PM GMT
@northanlite..not trolling - I was firmly in the rugby camp but was challenged. Thanks.
Report RugbyMan December 5, 2012 2:38 PM GMT
True benny, although Welsh did drop the ball over the line at one point and are not a particularly good rugby team at best.

Rugby League must be the worst hit by a red card - very very tough to play 12 against 13, especially as in league the defensive line is always spread out with very few ways to slow things down and create a pile up. Then union, then football I would have thought. It's the structural nature of rugby that makes the loss of a player a lot harder to swallow - i.e. if it's 6 against 5 out wide in any amount of space it should be a walk in for the team in possession. Obviously it doesn't always work like that, but the theory is sound.

Plenty of evidence to the contrary though I imagine. I remember maybe the first really big loss I took was a Premiership match between Gloucester and Bath. Bath had a man sent off late in the first half, Gloucester, at home, should have walked it from there on but their fly-half, Mercier, just kept hoofing the thing away. He finally passed the ball with about 2 mins left and Gloucester ran in a try from their own half to take the lead. Then they threw it away through stupidity in the last seconds. I was a tad vexed.

So I suppose it makes little difference in the end if your opponents are too dim to take advantage, but the potential advantage should be greater in rugby than in football with a man advantage.
Report suitangi December 5, 2012 7:06 PM GMT
big mozzas red card after 10 seconds throwing a massive spanner in the works
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com