Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
northanlite
09 Apr 12 01:05
| Topic/replies: 15,091 | Blogger: northanlite's blog
excuse my ignorance but why is Ulster v Edinburgh being played in Dublin?
Pause Switch to Standard View HC semi final stuff
Show More
Report bongo April 9, 2012 8:14 AM BST
Something to do with ERC deciding the semi-finals must be semi-neutral if that is a word.
Venue must be 20000+, and not be the home ground of one of the teams.

Back in 1999 when Ulster won this comp they played at Ravenhill in the Q and SF so it was thought ok then to play semis at home grounds.
Report itcanbedone April 9, 2012 11:26 AM BST
How have Ulster and Edinburgh done head to head in recent years can anyone tell me?  Thanks
Report northanlite April 9, 2012 11:44 AM BST
But Edinburgh qualified ahead of Ulster in the seedings so why is the game not at "semi neutral" venue in Scotland?
Report TheVis April 9, 2012 11:53 AM BST
Semis are drawn from a hat once the QFs are known.  QFs are seeded, semis are not.
Report northanlite April 9, 2012 12:22 PM BST
I'm sure the rule used to be that the semi was in the highest seeded teams home nation but at a neutral venue with over 20k capacity.

I knew the Irish ran the celtic league for their benefit but didn't realise they ran the erc too
Report JaneWarner April 9, 2012 12:29 PM BST
I think the interesting random variable of an open draw for the semi-finals might have had its day.

It will be amusing to see how many fans Edinburgh take to Dublin. As someone who used to live in Edinburgh and who used to watch one of their soccer teams regularly - pre-credit-crunch - I confess that I'd have very little idea about the demographic of Edinburgh's support.... which is obviously very small, considering the middle-class nature of Edinburgh, the number of Edinburgh residents who work in professions from which players traditionally come and the number of rugby clubs in the area.

I'd give them more than a squeak against Ulster.
I doubt if making the final would increase Edinburgh's support much.
Report itcanbedone April 9, 2012 12:33 PM BST
Middle Class + GingeCat.
Report itcanbedone April 9, 2012 12:34 PM BST
I knew the Irish ran the celtic league for their benefit but didn't realise they ran the erc too

Yes, its true! And just to keep things interesting we have decide to send Leinster to France for a SF!
Report northanlite April 9, 2012 12:56 PM BST
jane, i was as amazed as anyone that edinburgh got 39k in for the semi considering the previous biggest crowd was 17k. i guess 3 or 4000 were french fans but still a huge turnout for scottish club rugby. if you had given me 10 guesses as to who would hold the uk record crowd for a HC fixture edinburgh would not have been one of my guesses.

difficult to say where they all came from but it shows their is an audience out there. i guess most of them would normally be watching Currie, Boroughmuir etc on a saturday and the pro clubs have not really engaged the public yet. what will be interesting to see is how many of those that went along to the QF turn up to league games next season.

i reckon if the semi had been somewhere like hampden they would have had a sell out.
Report TheVis April 9, 2012 1:46 PM BST
One problem with seeding in the semis is it may just mean who ever gets the worst Italian team in their group gets there by default.
Report northanlite April 9, 2012 1:48 PM BST
fair enough, i'm just p1ssed off cos I quite fancied going and Dublin is doable but a bit of a hassle (and far more expensive)
Report itcanbedone April 9, 2012 1:57 PM BST
I had a feeling it was more about your own wallet than the chances of your team actually making the final.  Scots, eh?
Report bongo April 9, 2012 2:51 PM BST
Back in 1998-1999, the Ulster EC title winning season, they met the then Edinburgh Reivers twice ( what's with the modern obsession with war-like monikers anyway, Reivers is a great name ).
the outcomes were
18 Sep 1998 Ulster 38:38 Edinburgh
8 Nov 1998 Edinburgh 21:23 Ulster
The match on 28 April 2012 should be a thriller then.
Report bongo April 9, 2012 3:07 PM BST
And what was wrong with the moniker Glasgow Caledonians ffs - if we need some Warriors we can call on the Higlanders, the Black Watch or the lads at Faslane but it's not necessary on a stretch of grass between two letter-Hs.

Anyway Heineken Cup Pool 4:
17 Oct 2009 Edinburgh 17:13 Ulster
15 Jan 2010 Ulster 21:13 Edinburgh

13 a bit of an unlucky number that year.
Report northanlite April 9, 2012 3:36 PM BST
it was very confusing with names back then. it was really the the border reivers but they merged with edinburgh and had that slightly inappropriate name for a wee while. then they came up with the gunners but had to drop that after the owner trademarked it and would not let them use it after he left.

by the way bongo in case you didn't know the reivers were bandits who used to nick livestock off pretty much anyone and everyone in the border region so interesting choice for a name
Report apolo80 April 9, 2012 10:03 PM BST
the reivers never stole off anyone they stole off the english not  there own some say the heartland off scottish rugby destro
yed by andy irvine and all them other sru ****s
Report northanlite April 9, 2012 10:48 PM BST
Reiving was simply a way of earning a living. Scottish Reivers were just as likely to raid other Scots as to raid across the English Border. Scots and English would even join forces to raid on either side of the Border. The victims of reiving could be anyone from outside the immediate family.
Report itcanbedone April 10, 2012 11:13 AM BST
ULSTER have ringfenced an allocation of 20,000 tickets for their Heineken Cup semi-final against Edinburgh on April 28th at the Aviva Stadium.

The tickets were made available via Ticketmaster to current season-ticket holders from yesterday.

Season-ticket holders have an opportunity to purchase up to eight tickets. There will also be a number of tickets available to buy at Ravenhill from 10am to 5pm tomorrow.

It is understood that Edinburgh Rugby have taken a relatively small allocation of tickets for the semi-final.

Tournament organisers ERC will put all unallocated tickets on general sale via Ticketmaster from 12pm today.

For Leinster’s large number of season-ticket holders, tickets will be available online from 10am today.

Tickets for public sale will be available from tomorrow at 9am.
Report TheVis April 10, 2012 6:45 PM BST
Ticket prices quite resonable for the semi, certainly in comparison to the final.  Great to see Ticketmaster adding 3.50 onto a 30euro ticket.  It is a scandal how much they put on top of the face value for every event.
Report northanlite April 10, 2012 11:24 PM BST
aye not too bad for tickets but got to get to dublin first.

my pal who is involved with edinburgh tells me they sold around 1500 within 3 hours of going on sale so at least they will have some support. they hope to get get 4000 or so heading over which if they do will help it be a decent event & we all know the locals will support edinburgh Cool

no surprise to hear that aer lingus & ryan doubled normal flight prices the min it became apparent edinburgh were going through. business is business i guess.

edinburgh are looking into a couple of charters.
Report BJG April 10, 2012 11:54 PM BST
Ulster likely to be without Afoa, cited for the tackle on Jones that the ref somehow managed to miss Shocked
Report BJG April 10, 2012 11:56 PM BST
Ulster likely to be without Afoa, cited for the tackle on Jones that the ref somehow managed to miss Shocked
Report ballaman68 April 11, 2012 12:47 PM BST
Bjg, i dont think he missed it, at the time im sure that he shouted that it was ok and play on.

I dont think its a bad tackle but his legs do go above the horizontal and it seems to be a drive into the ground, lower end of the scale but I think that he will miss the semi, pity as he will be a big loss for ulster.

Going to be in dublin that weekend so picked up a couple of tickets, will wear our Connacht green and cheer on our northern brothers !!
Report RugbyMan April 12, 2012 5:56 PM BST
4 week ban for Afoa, so he misses the semi-final.

Does seem quite harsh to me. In a sense it's not a surprise as we know full well that they are trying to cut down on those tackles, but I've seen plenty worse and it's hardly pre-meditated. An appeal wouldn't be a surprise.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com