Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
BJG
02 Feb 12 09:47
| Topic/replies: 29,810 | Blogger: BJG's blog
England: 15 Ben Foden, 14 Chris Ashton, 13 Owen Farrell, 12 Brad Barritt, 11 David Strettle, 10 Charlie Hodgson, 9 Ben Youngs, 1 Alex Corbisiero, 2 Dylan Hartley, 3 Dan Cole, 4 Mouritz Botha, 5 Tom Palmer, 6 Tom Croft, 7 Chris Robshaw, 8 Phil Dowson
Replacements: 16 Rob Webber, 17 Matt Stevens, 18 Geoff Parling, 19 Ben Morgan, 20 Lee Dickson, 21 Jordan Turner-Hall, 22 Mike Brown

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 8  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 8 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 302
By:
Lady Margaret
When: 02 Feb 12 11:30
Keen to see how the Sarries midfield three go. Must offer more threat than the likes of Hape, Tindall etc at least.

Is Dowson an international quality No.8? Not so sure myself.
By:
Jobroke
When: 02 Feb 12 11:41
Revolving door at 10 - will be a lot of Scots passing through.
By:
big_dunc
When: 02 Feb 12 11:46
Unlike previous years, Hodgson will be getting some help from a mobile back row and the man playing outside him at 12. England fans should be very, very pleased by that selection, all the more so because there are in-form players on the bench who can change the game for them.

Delighted to see Dowson get his chance. Looks every bit an international player to me, but like the others in the back row, he might be seen to best effect wearing the number 6 shirt.
By:
TheVis
When: 02 Feb 12 11:49
I will put my Eng fan hat on for a mo and say I am not pleased with the 9 or the 10.  I think this is the weak point of the side.

However, I'm happy to give them both another chance given this vastly changed side which I am on the whole very pleased about. Not at all sure Hodgson and Youngs are the future.   Just don't ask me to name alternatives Laugh
By:
big_dunc
When: 02 Feb 12 11:58
Ah come on, Vis! You want to have your cake and eat it... Farrell is never an international 13, but you've got to be happy with progress. Agree that Dickson should be in there at 9 and probably AN Other at 10, but you must have some experience around the park and they have obviously gone for the familiarity that the 10/12/13 channel has from playing for Sarries.
By:
TheVis
When: 02 Feb 12 12:25
Youngs is still dining out on away form in Aus a couple of years ago and hasn't kicked on for me.  I'm with Freshy in that Hodgson just hasn't looked good enough at this level when tried before.

OK, given all the other changes I am happy enough.

The flip side of course is this is the best chance in years Scot have had of beating the auld enemy.
By:
RugbyMan
When: 02 Feb 12 12:37
Youngs to me still looks the best option by a distance when on form, but what level he is at now is difficult to work out. The big problem is that if you put Dickson in, the experience level drops another few notches. There are enough debutants and one-cap wonders already.

Where's Sharples? He seems persistently unlucky to miss out.
By:
big_dunc
When: 02 Feb 12 12:38
Definitely the most intriguing match this weekend from a rugby and betting perspective.
By:
big_dunc
When: 02 Feb 12 12:40
Sharples the new JSD.
By:
itcanbedone
When: 02 Feb 12 12:56
What is the plan when Tuilagi returns?  Farrell switches to 10?
By:
sewter lives again
When: 02 Feb 12 13:01
i hope so icbd that was my initial thought
By:
RugbyMan
When: 02 Feb 12 13:14
That certainly looks the likely long term plan. It's a bit of an odd one with Farrell doing well at 10 for his club for 2 seasons, then moving to 13 for this one, but he looks easily the best prospect.

Flood's return will cloud things though. Not sure where Lancaster sees him in the pecking order.
By:
TheVis
When: 02 Feb 12 14:13
Hopefully somewhere in the group comprising Tindall, Shaw and Worsley.
By:
NSL
When: 02 Feb 12 14:18
Hopefully indeed Vis, Flood not good enough at even HC level and has been surpassed by Farrell already IMO.
By:
RugbyMan
When: 02 Feb 12 19:02
Probably worth sticking the Scots team in here at some point.

Scotland: 15 Rory Lamont, 14 Lee Jones, 13 Nick De Luca, 12 Sean Lamont, 11 Max Evans, 10 Dan Parks, 9 Chris Cusiter, 8 David Denton, 7 Ross Rennie, 6 Alasdair Strokosch, 5 Jim Hamilton, 4 Richie Gray, 3 Euan Murray, 2 Ross Ford (capt), 1 Allan Jacobsen.
Replacements: 16 Scott Lawson, 17 Geoff Cross, 18 Alastair Kellock, 19 John Barclay, 20 Mike Blair, 21 Greig Laidlaw, 22 Graeme Morrison.

Date: Saturday, February 4
Kick-off: 17:00
Venue: Murrayfield
Referee: George Clancy (Ireland)
Assistant referees: Romain Poite (France), Leighton Hodges (Wales)
Television match official: Tony Redmond (Ireland)
By:
Freshy.
When: 02 Feb 12 19:48
Its ok Vis, its not as if 9 & 10 are key positions, & what with the 8 untested at this level, I am sure that it will all gel nicely Shocked

Mind, it could be good from a betting perspective Mischief
By:
northanlite
When: 02 Feb 12 19:58
^ ok so jones has been added but really that is still the scotland backline that can't score tries.

what do england followers make of the options on the bench?
a lot of experience on the scotland one (although not any flair)
By:
Freshy.
When: 02 Feb 12 20:07
Is the back line that took Treviso apart last weekend?

On one hand, this forum seems to be advocating club form, however when it comes to Ireland, it means tosh!

The Munster pack with the Leinster backs, & this Six nations is over beofre it starts Excited
By:
RugbyMan
When: 02 Feb 12 21:37
Are you talking about England regarding 8,9 and 10 Freshy, or Scotland?
By:
big_dunc
When: 02 Feb 12 22:11
Touche RM
By:
Freshy.
When: 02 Feb 12 22:34
Lol RM, we know Scotland are lacking a little something in quality, we are just deluding ourselves that England are not!

With England at 1.80 agaist the 30/1 rags, & so much potential, it must be free money.

It did make me smile when I heard that we had some of the past England football squad giving the current England rugby squad motivational advice, I wonder if they did if for free, not that money motivates them of course....
By:
StonedCrow
When: 03 Feb 12 02:09
Surely there must be some value with Scotland on a cap, we don't get as much Northern hemisphere rugby down here as would be useful, but looking at the lineups and RWC form, from a punter's point of view one would think Scotland on a 5.5 start could be good value, no?
By:
ChristopherColumbus
When: 03 Feb 12 08:20
Hi StonedCrow

Could be but new England management and players make this hard tae call. Ive put a bet on Auld Scotia but lookin tae trade for a small profit. Scotland willnae fear them in forwards, I dinnae reckon, but the backs are the danger and the unknown.  Forecast lookin guid anyway - cauld an wet Happy
By:
northanlite
When: 03 Feb 12 11:20
if scotland lose this then Robinson will have some serious questions to answer for the first time since he became coach imo.

he seems to be hoping forward power will to be too much for the England 8 and they will struggle for possession & has been very conservative with playing parks to kick for field position & Lamont to bash it up the middle.

when you look at the number of tries Edinburgh have been scoring then I think a lot of us were hoping Blair & Laidlaw would get the nod.

maybe in terms of winning, whether it's ugly or not, he may have done the right thing but when people are paying as much as £75 for a ticket then a try every now & then would be nice.
By:
RugbyMan
When: 03 Feb 12 11:49
He cant do much about the classic Scottish weather though NL, so this team looks fairly well suited to the conditions. It's very much the case that he seems to pick conservative and non-scoring teams regardless of conditions though and that is the problem.

You are right though, a win here and Robinson looks good, a loss and he is going to be fearing for his job. The advantages lay with Robinson and Scotland for once, they are going to have to make the most of it.
By:
northanlite
When: 03 Feb 12 12:02
there were grumblings starting after the WC that Robinson could not settle on his best team and could not decide on his half backs in particular.
also he picked a captain he then dropped and some of his replacement decisions seemed strange, particularly taking off Jackson for Parks v England when he appeared to be the most influential player on the pitch at the time.

as for the weather, they don't seem to have a clue.

Early in the week snow was forecast, then possible sleet/rain now they say it may be dry but misty.

Or D: All of the above Plain
By:
RugbyMan
When: 03 Feb 12 12:09
It appears to be a battle between high pressure and low pressure with nobody quite sure which will get the upper hand. Someone should run a book on it....

Stuart Barnes said on rugby club last night that Robinson had changed his 8,9 and 10 for each of his 3 biggest games of late, and the captain I think. Continuity not his strong point. Oddly that was Johnson's only redeeming factor.
By:
big_dunc
When: 03 Feb 12 13:02
With Edinburgh flying and England in transition, this looks the ideal time to take them on in a game of rugby. As nl says, why not go out and have a go? We already know that Scotland are capable of matching England physically. Laidlaw being left out for Parks beggars belief when Parks is sutrggling to keep hold of his shirt at Cardiff. He almost deserves to lose for leaving out a player like Kellock, someone who it seems most Scots would follow to hell and back.
By:
GPT
When: 03 Feb 12 13:14
ParksCrysurely Scotland need to score from the backs somehow to win this match.
By:
gingcat1
When: 03 Feb 12 13:17
Disagree re Kellock, Gray is first name on the sheet and Hamilton has been tearing it up for Glaws. Bench role is fine by me.

Parks and the penalty/turnover machine that is De Luca is my worry although with Lamont at 12 he probably wont see the ball.

Looking forward to seeing the big Zambabwian rumbling it up from 8.
By:
big_dunc
When: 03 Feb 12 13:24
What about Hamilton the penalty machine ging? Gives his fair share away and offera very little of the leadership you see from Kellock. Gloucester have been demolished at times up front this season with him packing down.
By:
gingcat1
When: 03 Feb 12 13:29
We must have been watching different Glaws matches Dunc Wink

I'm happy for Robinson to bring the steadying influence of Kellock on with 20-25 minutes to go as that's when Scotland usually start flapping and throw away their leads.
By:
gingcat1
When: 03 Feb 12 13:29
And their matches.
By:
big_dunc
When: 03 Feb 12 13:53
In fairness if Scotland lose it's unlikely that it will be down to Hamilton starting over Kellock. More likely those playing 9/10/12/13.
By:
gingcat1
When: 03 Feb 12 14:28
Yup

Ansbro is a big loss. If he was fit I think you would have seen Morrison at 12 and Ansbro at 13. WTF is De Luca being given another chance? Would far rather see Evans there it's not as if Scotland are short of wingers. Robinson is a decent coach but a shyte selector and he also can't manage his bench effectively Sad
By:
northanlite
When: 03 Feb 12 14:38
aye how many times have we heard that robinson is an "excellent coach but............"

at least he can shuffle that backline about and would not be that surprising to see Lamont end up the wing with evans at outside centre to morrison. lots of options, all fairly mediocre options, but lots of them.
By:
RugbyMan
When: 03 Feb 12 16:59
I'm baffled by this idea that Morrison is an international player. Never worked it out. Some top quality players knocking around that Scottish backline but it never seems to work as a unit. I would rather see Lamont-Evans in midfield, to give a proper mix, but am happy to see Jones on the wing. Quite like him.
By:
NonShy..
When: 03 Feb 12 17:20
i don't get the fuss with geoff parling

dickson should be starting at 9 imo

looking forward to the new centre line up... exciting and a modern approach
By:
GPT
When: 03 Feb 12 18:48
Struggling to see a why a reason not to lump on England much as they are untested,Scotland can't win by battering them up front even if they do manage it.
Page 1 of 8  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 8 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com