Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
unitedbiscuits
23 May 22 19:43
| Topic/replies: 16,165 | Blogger: unitedbiscuits's blog
Last train Glasgow/Edinburgh c 10pm.

Crap service everywhere a native has superceded an enthusiastic foreign worker:
It used to be that if you had a dolt for a daughter, you would get on the counter in a chemists, where customers have no choice: - now, they're serving (reluctantly) in all the service jobs they previously wouldn't get out of bed for.

Standards dropping everywhere. Austerity. Everywhere a weary acceptance that things only work some of the time.

Feels like the '70's without the optimism.
Pause Switch to Standard View Post Brexit Uk. Are we going back to...
Show More
Report lfc1971 May 23, 2022 9:19 PM BST
That would be nice , Britain in the 1970s was the happiest and most contented
place on earth . Well in anytime or any place in history actually
Report saddo May 23, 2022 9:20 PM BST
lfc makes some good points.
Report HallGreenSpy May 23, 2022 9:22 PM BST
I agree also. But fwiw, trains have always been shyte.
Report HallGreenSpy May 23, 2022 9:23 PM BST
Nowt like a blackout to make a family closer!
Report lfc1971 May 23, 2022 9:35 PM BST
Wait to you see , biscuits will come back foaming at the mouth about how terrible it was
and it’s all Brexits fault Grin
Report unitedbiscuits May 23, 2022 9:40 PM BST
That would be nice , Britain in the 1970s was the happiest and most contented
place on earth . Well in anytime or any place in history actually

Agree with that, lfc1971, but with these two qualifications.

Britain was still living in the glory of WWII. Two things wrong with that

1) British people had a sense of entitlement "we've done it", and did not work hard.

2) British people had a sense of exceptionalism; turning a cold shoulder to the synergies of a common market that propelled those inside to more quickly raise their standard of living. (that's why UK was constantly begging to join after realising its mistake).

And a third, hitherto unconsidered factor

3) None of us posting today actually contributed to the war effort. There's nothing more pathetic than inhabitants of a country living off the glory of its ancestors.
Report HallGreenSpy May 23, 2022 9:46 PM BST
None of us posting today actually contributed to the war effort.

Only thing in all of that sounds true.
Report saddo May 23, 2022 9:47 PM BST
I didn't contribute to the save trade but I'm supposed to feel guilty about it, apparently.
Report saddo May 23, 2022 9:48 PM BST
*slave
Report unitedbiscuits May 23, 2022 9:57 PM BST
I don't feel bad about the slave trade anymore than Germans should feel bad about WWII.

What strikes me these days is - nobody answering the phone, gaps on supermarket shelves, can't access a plumber etc. It's just the mundane attrition of getting used to lower standards all across the spectrum.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- May 23, 2022 10:47 PM BST
We are closer to 2070 than 1970

How odd
Report Capt__F May 23, 2022 10:58 PM BST

Hot
Report lfc1971 May 23, 2022 11:33 PM BST
Biscuits , in 1976 no one in Britain gave two hoots about WW2
It could have been a thousand years before for all it impacted on young people
Or any generation really . We had , and Britain had moved on and were in the process
of creating an entirely new world for ourselves .
But yes it was made possible by the sacrifice and great qualities of that previous wartime generation
But no , 1976 was a thousand years removed from 1946
Report lfc1971 May 23, 2022 11:47 PM BST
I had a purple chopper when I was a kid
Report lfc1971 May 23, 2022 11:48 PM BST
And a photo of Debbie Harry
What’s that got to do with WW2 !
Report irishone May 24, 2022 4:49 AM BST
Userlfc1971 • May 23, 2022 11:47 PM BST
I had a purple chopper

No surprise there then , still a complete banker
Report irishone May 24, 2022 4:56 AM BST
Theres a veterans hospital outside leatherhead tyrwhit house
My partner worked there and I often picked her up at the end of her shift
This involved waiting aroynd talking to old British soldiers
Most of whom had fought in the second world war
Everyone of them told me that if they knew the country was going to turn out "like this"
They would never have fought for it
That was 20 years ago
It shocked me to hear that from them
Report lfc1971 May 24, 2022 6:49 AM BST
Little Irishone would like to but can’t find his
Report unitedbiscuits May 24, 2022 11:01 AM BST
You are funny lfc. On that basis, you can almost be forgiven.
Report lapsy pa May 24, 2022 11:40 AM BST
50 years on you think the world should be reaping benefits of technology,no one wanting for nothing,it(the world) really should be in a good place.
It isn't bad overall but a real danger of going backwards,it's a pity,simply shouldn't be
Report casemoney May 24, 2022 12:01 PM BST
Go and stand at Heathrow for an hour ,  Tell me Technology is Going Backwards  Must be 1000 people Landing every minute .. Hotels will be rammed for the Jubilee plenty of Tourists arriving

No shortage of money  in that area
Report Kelly May 24, 2022 12:27 PM BST
My first cousin lives in Kent , not sure whether he is near the parking zone .

Ex British Army ( for most of his career) , ultra sensible, educated / lived in NI until after graduation,  served ( anonymously to us , policy) in Northern Ireland during the most recent Troubles .

Leading up to the Brexit vote family debate warned him about the dangers inherent in voting for Brexit , particularly in relation to Northern Ireland . Nevertheless he and his wife ( a stay in the UK Scot)  ) voted for Brexit .

Biggest mistake we ever made he now admits . Led to rogue government , no one to employ for maintenance purposes , less welcome in France where he holidayed many times yearly etc,etc . Nothing gained .

When will the penny drop overall ?
Report saddo May 24, 2022 12:31 PM BST
Doesn't shock me at all irishone. They fought to save the country they knew, not the multi-cultural mess we've since had inflicted upon us.
Report frog1000 May 24, 2022 12:35 PM BST
Don't confuse the destruction caused by terrible handling of Covid and subsequent social and economic destruction those policies caused with Brexit.

Freedom is from European control is a great thing.
Report lfc1971 May 24, 2022 12:51 PM BST
That’s more members of the Kelly family living in England ( not the south of Ireland )
Scottish and N Irish , and they seem to have had a lovely and prosperous life
And are they grateful to this country for their good fortune ? I don’t know
The Kelly family certainly should be
Report Kelly May 24, 2022 12:59 PM BST
Yet another pathetic post from lfc.

One wonders if he has a conscience .
Report Kelly May 24, 2022 1:01 PM BST
Yet another pathetic post from lfc .

One wonders has he a conscience.
Report lfc1971 May 24, 2022 1:12 PM BST
Kelly don’t have the gall to talk about conscience and lectures from you, regarding who the British people vote for

Not when Sinn Fein IRA have just been voted into Stormont - take a little look in the mirror
Report Kelly May 24, 2022 1:31 PM BST
lfc , I did not vote Sinn Fein into office , the people of the North of Ireland did .
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- May 24, 2022 1:38 PM BST
Lfc loves democratic votes, a true patriot
will fully respect the mandate given by the vote.
Report lfc1971 May 24, 2022 1:40 PM BST
That’s true - surprise me and say it’s not so but just a bad dream
Report Kelly May 24, 2022 1:41 PM BST
lfc , my cousin's father was a Geordie , served in the British Navy during the Second World War . Reckon that allows his son to live and work anywhere in the UK . Just unfortunate for him that was a Catholic in Northern Ireland .  Hence his subsequent life outside of his homeland where he was born and educated .

Trying to paint myself and those connected with me in bad colours is the road to nowhere , except possibly in a bigoted mind . I can stand up to any scrutiny , and all those connected with me can also .

Name calling and assigning non existent political and cultural views by you shows the shallow nature of your powers of debate .
Report lfc1971 May 24, 2022 1:56 PM BST
Kelly you’re projecting again
Where was I name calling ?
And it was I who made the point that your family could live and work anywhere on these Islands
There’s no point making up false allegations that doesn’t help your case
Report Kelly May 24, 2022 9:11 PM BST
lfc , false allegations have never figured anywhere in anything I have ever posted on Betfair . You consistently deny facts which are / have been in the public domain , which effectively categorises you as someone who hides from the truth . Anyone who hides from the truth eventually finishes up in a world of make believe .

Guess that's where you are lfc , hiding from the truth .
Report lfc1971 May 24, 2022 9:36 PM BST
Is that so Kelly ?
Well let’s see how your fine words stand up to scrutiny
and how far we have to look …ah not very far

Here’s just your last sentence :
‘ name calling and assigning non existent political and cultural views by you ..

Now where have I done such ?  You see I didn’t have to look very far
to find an example of your false allegations , now did I
Report Kelly May 25, 2022 12:44 AM BST
lfc , you have consistently attempted to align me with Sinn Fein views . You introduce the term Sinn Fein/ Ira at every opportunity despite the fact that I have no truck with Sinn Fein .  You term any views posted by me as nationalist biased . This is despite the fact that I have been an Alliance Party activist and voter since the party was formed in the early 1970's , 50 years ago .

You never have answered posts that discrimination was inbuilt to Northern Ireland and multiple cases have been proven in that regard . Conveniently you post that you are unaware of such cases . There are none so blind as those who cannot see .

My record on Betfair will stand any scrutiny , I have never made any false allegations , would not know how . Everything I post is 100% true , I was brought up to always tell the truth , and never to lie .  Pity some of our politicians ( at Westminster and Stormont) have not followed that path .

The fact that you are so supportive of people of that ilk speaks for itself .
Report lfc1971 May 25, 2022 1:05 AM BST
Kelly I haven’t actually done any of those things
I do refer to Sinn Fein as Sinn Fein IRA because that is what they are
I do know that you are an Alliance party activist but I also know that
you are a nationalist and that your views are nationalist biased
Because I have read your posts

These are the realities
Report Kelly May 25, 2022 2:48 AM BST
lfc , nobody in the Alliance party can be described as nationalist . Any posts I make in relation to Irish history are fact based , and not the redacted version inherent in the British view of history .I take the world view of the history between England and Ireland , not the narrow view propagated within the UK . The main reason for the Good Friday agreement happening was pressure from the USA . Reagan told Thatcher in no uncertain terms that she had to talk to the IRA  initially. That turned the lady who was not for turning  , and ultimately led slowly to the "Peace talks process" .The USA is the major external  guarantor of the GFA . 

You consistently use  the term Sinn Fein/ IRA . despite the fact that there is effectively no IRA .
You refuse to use the term DUP/ UVF/ UDA which is more relevant than Sinn Fein / IRA . Those ultra loyalist organisations are much more  active on the ground than any smatterings of IRA are and control large elements of DUP policies . Those street loyalists have a big say in how the DUP behave . Just ask Arlene .

Sinn Fein were formed in 1905 , well before there was any IRA , and even before the UVF were formed and threatened armed action in 1912 . The UVF introduced the gun then into Irish politics , arming 100,000 allegedly , a matter of unbiased history .
Report lfc1971 May 25, 2022 7:46 AM BST
Nobody in the alliance party can be described as a nationalist - Wrong ( actually claptrap would be a better word )
You are a nationalist ( and a very narrow and stereotypical one at that )
Also your view of history is not a worldview it’s the viewpoint of an Irish nationalist
No more and no less than that . And not a particularly enlightened or intelligent one at that
Reagan ? Reagan and America didn’t tell Thatcher anything talks had been ongoing forever
The IRA knew that it had got to the point that British intelligence on the IRA made it impossible to prolong
SinnFein IRA ? The IRA council is in charge of everything that Sinn Fein does . That was the joint assessment of
the Garda , the NIPS and British intelligence . As recently as 2020 the Garda commissioner Drew Harris said
it was the view of the force that the IRA provisional army council overseas both Sinn Fein and the IRA
This assessment is also held by the PSNI and British intelligence .
Report Kelly May 25, 2022 12:41 PM BST
Once again we see lfc's obsession with Sinn Fein / IRA .

Never a word about DUP / 3 letter loyalist organisations .

I have never condoned or supported Sinn Fein or the IRA .

My parents were both born in a "united" Ireland , but it was just Ireland then pre 1921. Ireland was then partitioned , against the wishes of the huge majority of Irish people ( so much for those who keep talking about democratic majorities when it suits them ). Partitioning Ireland was a political move taken in the light of preventing a potential split up ( which happened eventually) of the British Empire.

If that is deemed a nationalist viewpoint , so be it . The whole world accepts that as an accurate historical record  , I am with the whole world .

LFC keeps wittering on about nationalism , as if it is an evil thing . But presumably it is OK in the English context as exhibited by Brexism . Irish nationalism is a bad thing , English nationalism is to be lauded ? Extreme double standards , but not surprising .

I am 100% Alliance .  Alliance is the only ( now major) party in Northern Ireland not aligned with either Protestants or Catholics historically . Large elements of the DUP have fundamental Protestantism in their DNA  , compared with relatively few "fundamentalist" Catholics who support Sinn Fein . Facts have to be stated .

Re Thatcher , she said no British Prime Minister would ever talk to the IRA . Maybe that was similar to Boris's assertion there would never be a border in the Irish Sea . What is it with British prime ministers ?
Report Kelly May 25, 2022 12:57 PM BST
lfc , re British intelligence ( hooked into RUC intelligence) and their assessment of the situation "on the ground" in Northern Ireland raises lots of questions . One spokesman for the British Army used to hold court nightly in the Europa Hotel spewing out uncorroborated propaganda to the assembled journalists . The Army never did anything wrong , despite their activity uncovered later at great expense and ultimately apologised for .

British intelligence in cahoots with RUC and Brian Faulkner's Stormont set up instigated internment which generated support asymptotically for the Provos .

These are the real lessons of history lfc , no blame for events in Northern Ireland is ever the one sided version you espouse . For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction . Newton .
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com