Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
impossible123
21 May 22 19:19
| Topic/replies: 21,657 | Blogger: impossible123's blog
I was a passenger in a friend's car this morning in South London. A minicab with the driver inside - he was tending to his smart phone - parked (yes parked) just before the mouth of a narrow road with double yellow lines on the wrong side (right) of the road pointing towards the exit just before the T-junction. Our car was heading out towards this junction; my friend had to reverse to allow another car in as the minicab was clearly blocking/inconveniencing access into the road - the minicab had at least 1/4 of his car on the road - the other 3/4 on the pavement.

When the car had passed my friend stopped to ask the minicab driver nicely he'd ought not to be parking on double yellow line on the wrong side of the narrow road just before entrance/exit. The driver took offence, and said "go away...I'm a taxi, and I can park anywhere". My friend then said you're not a black cab - you're a minicab. The minicab driver retorted "what's the difference?" My friend replied: "A black cab driver takes/passes exams; a minicab driver does not".

This really annoyed the minicab driver who repeated: "I can park anywhere, go away...come out (invited my friend to get out of his car)."  Has anyone come across such an aggressive minicab driver in any area? Does this "minicab driver mentality" the norm with minicab drivers ie behaving and act like a black cab driver?

The minicab driver was non-local.
Pause Switch to Standard View A local minicab..
Show More
Report edy May 21, 2022 7:58 PM BST
How do you know he didn't live in the town he worked and was hence a non-local?
Report Escapee May 21, 2022 8:27 PM BST
I've remonstrated with a few inconsiderate pavement parkers. if they're parking on and blocking the pavement for pedestrians then I'm getting in their face.

First off, a couple of photo's, then I go up and tell 'em "it's a pavement not a car park they gotta move now", anything but a polite come back from them gets a "This isn't a discussion, Leave now or I call the police"... I give 'em another 20 seconds before I start dialling.

These people are out for themselves, probably scum, and according to Dads Army "they don't like it up'em" so I make a point of sticking it up'em
Report lfc1971 May 21, 2022 8:32 PM BST
I sometimes park on the pavement
Report lfc1971 May 21, 2022 8:34 PM BST
Pedestrians can walk on the other pavement
Report Escapee May 21, 2022 8:37 PM BST
yeah, that doesn't surprise me lfc, goes with your online persona

you come across as a knob who'd block the pavement for pedestrians, old people, women with small kids and push chairs just coz you don't care about anyone else.
Report lfc1971 May 21, 2022 8:43 PM BST
Nonsense escapee , if an old person can walk down one pavement they can walk down the other one
Or squeeze past my car . What do you want me to do block the road ?
Emergency vehicles couldn’t get past if people didn’t park on the pavement
Report lfc1971 May 21, 2022 8:44 PM BST
I wouldn’t advise you to talk to me like that by the way
Report impossible123 May 21, 2022 8:45 PM BST
Behave! This thread is about the attitude and behaviour of a minicab driver and their acquired/assumed importance and mentality - they think they are driving black cabs.

Parking on pavement is ok if allowed. Otherwise could be an inconvenience or nuisance to pedestrians esp those with bad/no sight. Also, mums with push chairs.

'Ifc1971', I think you're better than that.
Report Escapee May 21, 2022 8:46 PM BST
park elsewhere, simple.

the pavement ain't a car park, simple.
Report lfc1971 May 21, 2022 8:47 PM BST
Impossible I realise the cab driver wasn’t a local
But even that was no reason for your friend to stick his nose in
Report lfc1971 May 21, 2022 8:50 PM BST
I only park on the pavement if the road is an old Victorian narrow rd
But it’s usually a nice area and no one says anything
Report lfc1971 May 21, 2022 8:52 PM BST
They’re going to want to ban cars because they kill people
if we continue like this
Report Escapee May 21, 2022 8:56 PM BST
"I wouldn’t advise you to talk to me like that by the way"

if you wanna escalate your sh1t for brains parking, game on.
Report lfc1971 May 21, 2022 8:59 PM BST
Lol
Report Escapee May 21, 2022 8:59 PM BST
park elsewhere, simple.

the pavement ain't a car park, simple.
Report impossible123 May 21, 2022 9:00 PM BST
'Ifc', my friend had to reverse to let another car come through as a result of the inconsideration of the minicab driver. Also, my friend was merely suggesting the driver ought not to park on double yellow lines facing the wrong way in a narrow residential road just before a T-junction; the driver could cause an easily avoidable accident; the cab driver was not even waiting for a punter instead utilising his smart phone; hazard light on either.

I'd understand if it was a resident waiting for an empty space coming back from work or after an errand. A polite quiet word need not solicit such a rude and possibly aggressive attitude from the minicab driver; double yellow lines on a narrow residential road just before a junction are there for a reason - not cosmetic!
Report lfc1971 May 21, 2022 9:01 PM BST
Don’t people understand there are miles
and miles of narrow roads and streets in this country
Report impossible123 May 21, 2022 9:04 PM BST
'Ifc1971', I understand it's the weekend nevertheless.... Next one is a 4-day bank holiday - what'd you be like then? Any poignant event happened in 1971?
Report lfc1971 May 21, 2022 9:13 PM BST
Impossible , every sensitive person knows every passing year is poignant
and we have to understand our fellow human beings , cars , passengers , pedestrians
In old ancient cities and we are powerless to stop their misery
Report impossible123 May 21, 2022 9:30 PM BST
'Ifc1971', I'm a simpleton. I do not understand psychology and how it affects every individual differently.

We're just taken aback by the reaction of the non-local minicab driver who saw nothing wrong in parking/stopping on double yellow lines in a narrow residential road attending to his smart phone. We're shocked that he thought he'd park anywhere because he drove a minicab.
Report lfc1971 May 21, 2022 9:34 PM BST
Do you know I have a driveway , but the houses opposite don’t
And cars park on the road opposite my driveway and it’s a narrow street
And it means it’s a little difficult to leave my drive and turn right being slightly blocked across the road
But I wouldn’t think of going over and asking them to park somewhere else
One of the cars opposite has a flat tyre it’s been like that I’ve noticed - that can’t be legal on the road
Report lfc1971 May 21, 2022 9:39 PM BST
They don’t trim their hedges either Sad
Report impossible123 May 21, 2022 9:43 PM BST
'Ifc1971', I understand your predicament. I also understand why you did what you did possibly how you felt too. But, what the minicab driver did and said were preposterous eg I'm a taxi, and I can park anywhere; the bloke was clearly uneducated and not read the Highway Code.
Report impossible123 May 21, 2022 9:44 PM BST
That's really annoying. It's akin to not having a haircut looking a hippie and not in-keeping with the time. Maybe touch the hedge. Only joking 'Ifc1971'.
Report lfc1971 May 21, 2022 9:50 PM BST
What nationality was he impossible , do you know ?
Report lfc1971 May 21, 2022 9:53 PM BST
Wouldn’t surprise if they thought the police couldn’t touch them
because they weren’t English
Report impossible123 May 21, 2022 9:56 PM BST
He looked South Asian possibly Sri Lankan. There was just no need for such behaviour and attitude on a saturday morning. Maybe he construed it as a racist remark or perhaps he thought he ruled (or beginning to) the country.
Report lfc1971 May 21, 2022 9:59 PM BST
Grin
Report lfc1971 May 21, 2022 10:02 PM BST
cabs are the worst driven vehicles on the road
And that includes white van man
Report impossible123 May 21, 2022 10:08 PM BST
I concur. Minicabs are worst than Addison Lee couriers. The majority are not safe drivers; some borrowing car and/or impersonating licence holder to drive for pay as outed by tfl on London minicabs and Uber; vehicles were photographed 24/7 on Congestion Zones.
Report mecca May 21, 2022 10:41 PM BST
Just a bloke trying to earn a living, in my humble opinion.

The cab driver was probably parked there waiting to pick someone up who had ordered a cab from that exact location... Blame them for keeping him waiting .... he was probably trying to contact his passenger on his mobile when your mate stuck his nose in
Report impossible123 May 21, 2022 10:59 PM BST
My mate did not stick his nose in. He's not that way inclined. He lives there and possibly concerned about how dangerous that could be knowing the area.

The cab was parked and driver using/scrolling his phone - not speaking. He certainly needed not parked on double yellow lines before entrance/exit of a narrow residential road; 10m away from junction after the lines or on the road itself (if waiting) further down, and not pavement. Also, he'd have said "merely waiting for a punter", but he did not.

I think his assertion "I'm a taxi, and I can park anywhere" said a lot about his mentality.
Report Emitdeb May 22, 2022 1:11 AM BST
I sometimes pipe up and give driving advice in similar situations but only when I'm feeling aggressive or just looking for trouble.. Happy

imo.. ask yourself, would you be giving similar advice to a car full of big lumps? 99% sure the answer is no.. Just mind your own business and get on with your life...
Report Whisperingdeath May 22, 2022 7:27 AM BST
Hilarious thread!

Keep going boys. I am thinking about scrapping my DD for my TV Licence and following this thread. Pure comedy gold
Report impossible123 May 22, 2022 3:29 PM BST
I'm astounded a poster can actually advise a local resident to "just mind your own business and get on with your life" for what the minicab driver did and said in my opening post. It's sad people no longer care what happens in their area and on the road.

Maybe it's the sign of the time. Maybe as long as it's not in my backyard I do not give a damn. I'm not the one affected or inconvenienced.
Report Emitdeb May 22, 2022 4:44 PM BST
It's called being petty, imo... Leave that sht to the old women.... Some of the old women are actually men! I know.. Blush
Report akabula May 22, 2022 4:53 PM BST
What about equality of the sexes Emitdeb? (All 37 of them) Wink
Report Emitdeb May 22, 2022 5:01 PM BST
Yeah Laugh.. well I mean people like Impossible123's friend when I say old women... Plain
Report moisok May 22, 2022 5:05 PM BST
I would have accused him of being homophobic and ring the polis  - see them come running immediately as they would not want to be accused of the same and of not helping a 'lady'  this LGBTQ is a gas isn't it fellas  -  am I allowed to say fellas?  Especially big ones.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com