Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
lfc1971
13 May 22 07:04
| Topic/replies: 61,992 | Blogger: lfc1971's blog
Start with the ‘ work ‘ from home layabouts
Well done Boris
Pause Switch to Standard View 91,000 Civil Service jobs to be axed...
Show More
Report lfc1971 May 13, 2022 7:07 AM BST
Never knew there were so many , what are they all doing ?Sad
Report lapsy pa May 13, 2022 8:06 AM BST
You may say 'well done',however it is a sign you are in deep trouble.
Report Lee Ho Fooks May 13, 2022 8:35 AM BST
More "jam tomorrow" stories to follow
Report DenzilPenberthy May 13, 2022 8:49 AM BST
Won't be long before millions more follow when the Automated systems get up and running tick tock tick tock.......
Report LoyalHoncho May 13, 2022 8:54 AM BST
Many civil servants work hard and do not deserve the abuse they get from clowns like old knee-deep.  My only complaint against them is the obscene pension arrangements they all enjoy ( just for doing a job they are paid well for anyway )  courtesy of the Crown, for maintaining the status quo and the family firm in the luxury they feel they deserve.  The biggest financial scam ever visited upon the public - the "Westminster" pension.
Report leif May 13, 2022 8:58 AM BST
"40% of the civil service staff members are claiming benefits".

Mark Serwotka head of PCS union-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0015q2d/question-time-2022-24032022
@16mins 03sec

'layabouts' struggling to feed their families already?

fake news
Report Dr Crippen May 13, 2022 10:29 AM BST
Many civil servants work hard

Doing what - feathering their own nests?

The civil service has always been an unaccountable, inefficient shambles, staffed by mostly overpaid self-serving loafers.
Report iamajambo May 13, 2022 11:38 AM BST
Much the same as Tory MPs then,Dr C. How about axing the number of MPs in the HoC,especially those who claim 220,000 a year in 'expenses'. I thought the 'Expenses Scandal'had been sorted.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- May 13, 2022 11:41 AM BST
All these extra civil servants taken on by border force
to stop migrants and to check import of goods from eu.

Yeah, just sack em and leave our borders open

And the half wits are cheering because, err, err, because
they have been fed a line to cheer.

Lol
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- May 13, 2022 11:42 AM BST
Passport office can't cope

Sack more staff

That's a good thing, right?
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- May 13, 2022 11:45 AM BST
Likely those aged 55 to 60 are queuing
up for early retirement and pension.

So pension almost same as what they earn now
for working, and lovely bonus redundancy lumpa
on top.

No saving....

End up employing somebody else to do the job

And you've cost yerself money not saved it

Cheer cheer cheer go the halfwits
Report lapsy pa May 13, 2022 12:08 PM BST
I have to laugh ^

Given the huge queues for people also waiting on medical treatment at least some could be deployed to try and sort that.
Not sure the actual people to administer the treatment is there but the bureaucracy side would be 1st rate, there surely are other things,like as said above passports,airport queues etc that could be looked at.

Is this being done to appease the likes of the op or a sign of havn't a pot to phish in?
Report glasshouses dogman May 13, 2022 12:17 PM BST
In this modern day do we need our non elected House of Lords? This has to be a nice earner for some. Turn up and then claim up to just over £300 a day attendance allowance which I think is tax free as well. I just wonder how many of those claiming the daily attendance allowance actually spend much time in the chamber for the days claimed for?

Supposedly government policy was to try to restrict the number of new lords being appointed. What does Boris do? He increases the number of new appointees to the Lords and some of them seem controversial.

Doing away with the Lords could save the monies paid to those attending and the need for security and civil service support staff. What are the chances of it happening? Probably not a lot.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- May 13, 2022 12:24 PM BST
I think uk needs to cut waste spending.

But they are cut to bone already after
years of tory austerity.

We still have not implemented border checks
on EU imports,...

Government of johnson is carp.

All for saving money, but, cutting services
we badly need is a bad route to tread.
Report lapsy pa May 13, 2022 12:32 PM BST
Some decent ideas re cost cutting above.

Irish Govt recently subsidised bus fares,more people are using them now,it saves petrol/car,UK travel imo is expensive particulary  compared to Europe. It should be applied i think,a small help to people.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- May 13, 2022 12:55 PM BST
Investing in green public transport is a no brainer.

Certainly helps cut emissions which is supposed to
be long term aim.
Report casemoney May 13, 2022 1:22 PM BST
Most of this Work being outsourced to Agencies DBS and Terrorist check you are in , No more 6 months Sick pay and Massive pensions ..

Zoomers and Covidphobians in a desperate state
Report casemoney May 13, 2022 1:24 PM BST
NHS needs sorting as well another Mob with unlimited sick pay
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- May 13, 2022 1:57 PM BST
Peston

Public servants, Whitehall, being told by PM that 91,000 are surplus to requirements and a pay rise of 3% is sufficient when inflation is heading for 10%. They’re also being told they are slackers if they work from home. Morale among public servants being tested, to put it mildly
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- May 13, 2022 2:00 PM BST
Richard murphy

91,000 civil service job cuts creates how many lucrative new outsourcing contract opportunities for replacement services to be supplied by the government's chums?
Report Charlie May 13, 2022 3:58 PM BST
I think what Doris is really saying is: "Look we've been so incompetent over the last decade or so that we employed 91,000 people we didn't need."
Report politicspunter May 13, 2022 4:04 PM BST
I am not clear how giving redundancy money to 91,000 workers, then having them sign on the dole is the correct strategy here.
Report lfc1971 May 13, 2022 4:10 PM BST
Order all civil servants to return to the office Monday week
Report glasshouses dogman May 13, 2022 4:12 PM BST
Perhaps the quality of staff at the higher levels and how they are recruited should be looked at. Cummings was suggesting that and broadening the scope of the ways they were recruited. He thought that many at the top were not that good at performing their duties.

I wonder if many of those at the top would have more in common with Boris Johnson in their upbringing and education than Cummings. Is it possible they could have worked on Boris to get rid of Cummings to maintain the status quo?
Report politicspunter May 13, 2022 4:13 PM BST
I have seen this scenario umpteen times before. Company (government in this case) pay off a huge amount of skilled, experienced workers. Those workers get a redundancy package over and above what is legally required to stop a revolt. Redundancy receivers then sign on dole but are under no pressure initially to look for a job. Company (ie government) then realise that many they have chopped are irreplaceable. They then hire them back via a contractor, costing them probably in the region of two to three times their original salary. After six months have passed the former employee/contractor is then offered a full time permanent position in order to save money paying the contractor.
Report lfc1971 May 13, 2022 4:15 PM BST
You have to be very careful if you have any dealings with the civil service
that involves money
They are usually very careful not to tell lies , but they might not tell the whole truth
Report politicspunter May 13, 2022 4:18 PM BST
In the electronics industry, which I was involved in, being made redundant and collecting the best package possible before starting elsewhere as a contractor became an artform for many. I met some folks who had their payoff net bulging half a dozen times in what was a very fast moving environment.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- May 13, 2022 4:21 PM BST
What is the obsession with office working
when workers do a great job from home?

Return to office and get sacked

Lol
Report politicspunter May 13, 2022 4:23 PM BST
There was a building in Stirling, on the edge of the grounds of the university, which was occupied by multiple electronics companies over many years. When the first company employees were made redundant, they put all their CV's in a box and left it in the middle of the shop floor. New company comes in, hey, look at all these CV's ! Former workers all re employed by new owner until they are made redundant, box gets left on shop floor...
Report lfc1971 May 13, 2022 4:31 PM BST
Return to the office to be sacked lol

Actually I know someone whose manager ( he was a manager also )
turned up one day at his house and he thought he was about to be told
he was losing his job . And he wouldn’t let him into the house
He said no , no I’m not speaking to you here . Tell me in work
The manager had to explain he wasn’t getting sacked Laugh
Report glasshouses dogman May 13, 2022 4:38 PM BST
Do we have too many staff at the top in the civil service? Some years ago I remember reading a newspaper article about our armed forces. The topic was about the number of officers in our armed forces. Compared to several other NATO nations our ratio of officers to men was one of the highest.

Do we have too many officers in our armed forces? Do we have too many managers and top level civil servants? When staff numbers are being reduced does it apply disproportionately and hit the lower levels more?
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- May 13, 2022 4:42 PM BST
Maybe p and o ferries will take on some
of the sacked civil servants
Report politicspunter May 13, 2022 4:45 PM BST

May 13, 2022 -- 4:42PM, ----you-have-to-laugh--- wrote:

Maybe p and o ferries will take on someof the sacked civil servants

..and the civil service will take on P and O workers at ports.

Report lfc1971 May 13, 2022 4:48 PM BST
Could it be possible that technology instead of making things more efficient
and meaning there are less people needed , simply has meant that there are more
people needed to maintain the extra work created by the complexity of the technology
and the work that is then being done is not the original work or the intended work that is necessary
But the work that has been created by the technology , which didn’t actually need to be done in
the past , or now
I think that is what has happened
Report lfc1971 May 13, 2022 4:50 PM BST
ie the technology becomes the work
But it is work that doesn’t need to be done
Report lfc1971 May 13, 2022 4:59 PM BST
Do you recall when computers first arrived on the scene
And for very many years the question was , well that’s fine
But what actually do they do , why do we need them
Now of course there are millions of people with computers
and every workplace office has them . It’s a multi million pound industry
and has created thousands , millions of jobs

But the question remains - what do computers really do
That wasn’t done before ?
Report leif May 13, 2022 5:18 PM BST
Does the 'L' stand for Luddite?
Report lfc1971 May 13, 2022 5:52 PM BST
The Luddites were certainly ahead of their time visionary’s
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- May 13, 2022 6:13 PM BST
Tobias elwood

I’m beginning to believe there’s a ‘Dead Cat Committee’ in No.10 spewing out a regular drumbeat of sensationalist headlines.

It’s not about numbers, but outputs & productivity - the engine driving wider inspirational policy objectives that thematically sit together as a vision.
Report politicspunter May 13, 2022 6:20 PM BST
Plenty of other tory MPs feel the same.
Report moisok May 13, 2022 6:50 PM BST
the civil service particularly will keep you all spinning  ho ho

we need to clean the lot out of the westminster bubble along with all politicians

and start again
Report markzzz May 14, 2022 8:24 AM BST
To those posters who are commenting on the redundancy costs of getting rid of 91,000 Civil Servants.

According to the Cabinet Office Civil Service Statistics 2021, in 19 of the last 20 years there have been in excess of 30,000 Civil Servant leaving employment each year (resignation, retirement, death, etc.). Therefore, freeze recruitment and in three years the target will have been met without any redundancy payments.
Report politicspunter May 14, 2022 8:29 AM BST
Seems a reasonable strategy to me.
Report leif May 14, 2022 9:59 AM BST
Therefore, freeze recruitment and in three years the target will have been met without any redundancy payments

Although prison officers, food standard agency, border patrol staff could potentially leave a hole if not replaced?

I mean to say, prison officers looking after 19 prisoners on their own and already worried they make get their face slashed.
Report lfc1971 May 14, 2022 10:09 AM BST
We need to make redundant those in the civil service who are not doing any real or necessary work
Possibly about 70% of them
Report lfc1971 May 14, 2022 10:18 AM BST
But keep the libraries open please Boris
Library staff are very helpful and cannot be faulted
Report PorcupineorPineapple May 14, 2022 10:30 AM BST
Shut the libraries

Empty the prisons

Stop issuing passports

Turn a blind eye to tax evasion

Close the museums and galleries

Easy
Report leif May 14, 2022 10:38 AM BST
Laugh

exactly.

misconception that civil servants are bowler hatted and gold-plated pension gilded.

40% of civil servants are claiming universal credit themselves.Same people who were dealing with claims for the job retention scheme and self employed support scheme.

Please note LFC that if these 'layabouts' had not been sat at home, busily working, no-one would have received this support and who do you suppose would have administered the furlough scheme that saved the jobs (and lives probably) of many?
Report northanlite May 14, 2022 11:20 AM BST
a bit of respect to the civil servants that run schools, hospitals & prisons would not go amiss.
the trouble with lfc is that he has an opinion about everything but knowledge of **** all
Report Dr Crippen May 14, 2022 11:35 AM BST
No one is going to get the sack.
They simply stop replacing people when they leave or retire. Those at the bottom of the pile anyway.

Others get induced to retire early with extra generous retirement packages.

They don't call the civil service the gravy train for nothing.
Report Dr Crippen May 14, 2022 11:38 AM BST
a bit of respect to the civil servants that run schools, hospitals & prisons would not go amiss.

Why? They only do it for the money like everyone else who's employed.
Report lapsy pa May 14, 2022 11:57 AM BST
A lot of them like teachers,probation etc have huge workloads and v little pay rises for the last decade.
You have the international law breaker and liar waffling on with complete rubbish about the work from home eating too much cheese this morning..
No wonder the UK is rapidly going downhill.
Report Aspro May 14, 2022 11:58 AM BST
Some of you really shouldn't be making assumptions about things you know little or nothing about, especially regarding the civil service pension scheme. Whilst it is considered one of the best pension schemes available, it is still an old-fashioned 60th (or 80th + Cash) final salary (or defined benefit) scheme, which many companies used to offer their staff back in the 80's. As they were expensive and far too lucrative they were replaced by money purchase (or defined contribution) schemes, which is generally what you will join today when starting out in a new firm. It is rare to find a company offering defined benefit schemes these days, but for civil servants, they are fortunate to still be in one.
Report Whisperingdeath May 14, 2022 1:05 PM BST
The usual idiots spouting the usual rubbish.

Let see who is the first to complain when their passport does not arrive back in time for their holiday to Torremolinos, Torremolinos, Watneys Red Barrel! Lets get Brexit done, Oven ready deal!
Report Dr Crippen May 14, 2022 4:02 PM BST
Renew your passport online.

They don't need an army of civil servants to make out a new one, then pop it in an envelope and send t back to you.

Where are they all hiding?
Report Whisperingdeath May 14, 2022 4:03 PM BST
What do you know about it?
Report casemoney May 14, 2022 4:07 PM BST
I got a new Passport early part of Lockdown arrived within 2 weeks
Report Aspro May 14, 2022 4:22 PM BST
My new passport commenced in August 2021. I didn't need it at the time, but applied (online) to have one available and like case, was surprised at how quick it arrived; no more than a few weeks.
Report Whisperingdeath May 14, 2022 4:27 PM BST
I have to get one soon but am a little scared I will miss the summer mind you with the travel chaos not just at UL airports but around the World maybe that is a good thing! Look at Sri lanka and Ryan Air were still offering wekend breaks in Ukraine after the war had startedLaugh! You gotta love that geezer, the one who wanted to charge you for peeing! Dermot O '****y?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com