Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
frog1000
27 Apr 22 12:03
| Topic/replies: 3,623 | Blogger: frog1000's blog
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-61227709

Government policies on discharging patients from hospital to care homes at the start of the Covid pandemic have been ruled unlawful by the High Court.

The ruling comes after two women took the former health secretary and Public Health England to court, saying Covid patients were discharged from hospitals back to care homes without testing.

Dr Cathy Gardner and Fay Harris, said it caused a "shocking death toll".

The government had said it "worked tirelessly" to protect the public.

Michael Gibson was 88 when he died on 3 April 2020 while living in a home in Oxfordshire during the UK's first lockdown.

His cause of death was given as "suspected Covid" after the home took in a patient discharged from a hospital with the virus.

His daughter, Dr Gardner, 60, from Sidmouth, Devon, said she "believed all along that my father and other residents of care homes were neglected and let down by the government".

The independent district councillor with a PhD in virology said: "The High Court has now vindicated that belief, and our campaign to expose the truth.

"It is also now clear that Matt Hancock's claim that the government threw a protective ring around care homes in the first wave of the pandemic was nothing more than a despicable lie of which he ought to be ashamed and for which he ought to apologise."

She also said Prime Minister Boris Johnson should resign in the wake of the ruling.

The women claimed key policies of discharging patients from hospitals into care homes were implemented with no testing and no suitable isolation arrangements in the homes.

The High Court said the policies failed to take into account the risk to elderly and vulnerable residents from non-symptomatic transmission of the virus.

The women partially succeeded in claims against the health secretary and Public Health England.

In their ruling, Lord Justice Bean and Mr Justice Garnham concluded that, despite there being "growing awareness" of the risk of asymptomatic transmission throughout March 2020, there was no evidence that then Health Secretary Matt Hancock addressed the issue of the risk to care home residents of such transmission.

However, the judges rejected other claims made under human rights legislation, and against NHS England.

Before the ruling was announced the government had said: "Every death is a tragedy and we worked tirelessly to protect the public from the threat to life and health posed by the pandemic and specifically sought to safeguard care homes and their residents."

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 76
By:
frog1000
When: 27 Apr 22 12:17
Similar situation in New York and all over the world.

The treatment of older people who needed protection from Covid during this situation has been awful.
By:
Escapee
When: 27 Apr 22 12:37
yet more law breaking by Johnson & the Tories?

the penalty for killing 1,000's is.... nuffing
By:
DenzilPenberthy
When: 27 Apr 22 12:52
This is the government distraction from the Midazolam scandal it couldn't be more obvious.
By:
casemoney
When: 27 Apr 22 12:54

Yes , Ferguson of the North will also be bang in trouble  ,done the same thing . No mention on the BBC of her I notice .
By:
casemoney
When: 27 Apr 22 12:56
His daughter, Dr Gardner, 60

Would she not have gone and got him out of the Care home , Why was he in there ?
By:
lfc1971
When: 27 Apr 22 12:56
No law was broken
By:
shiny new shoes please
When: 27 Apr 22 13:04
caused a "shocking death toll "

Radiohead - No Surprises

Reminder..
Top tip.. Don't put sick people into care homes
Predictable
By:
saddo
When: 27 Apr 22 14:34
Did the Gov tell the hospitals to empty the wards of old folk, or did the NHS tell the Gov we need to empty these wards? Important point surely.
By:
akabula
When: 27 Apr 22 15:16
Escapee

Why single them out when this happened throughout the UK.
Thousands died up here in Scotland.
And nobody broke any laws either.
By:
lapsy pa
When: 27 Apr 22 15:23
A fair question Saddo,would an answer in part from recollection be the large numbers in the 1st couple of waves needed a quick 'turnaround' in hospitals,they hadn't capacity as the nightingales were being built.
By:
Stickywickets
When: 27 Apr 22 15:26
Maybe people should look after their parents, rather than shove them into these death holes, staffed by 3rd world mercenaries
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 27 Apr 22 15:27
staffed by 3rd world mercenaries

You really think somebody on minimum wage is a mercenary?

Says a lot about you
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 27 Apr 22 15:28
Escapee

Sounds like you agree! No need to single any of them out!
By:
akabula
When: 27 Apr 22 15:33
Thousands died up here in Scotland.
And nobody broke any laws either.

Thats my full post WD.
Of course if you'd posted it in full you wouldn't have been able to respond the way you did.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 27 Apr 22 15:39
apols!

So you are happy with Krankie and her Government response?
By:
akabula
When: 27 Apr 22 15:48
I don't expect Sturgeon Freeman or any other British politician to be experts in this field.
Accepting that they, in the main, would have followed the scientific advice.
If the Inquiry finds otherwise then thats a different situation.
Saddos question is also crucial.

Did the Gov tell the hospitals to empty the wards of old folk, or did the NHS tell the Gov we need to empty these wards? Important point surely.
By:
Stickywickets
When: 27 Apr 22 15:55

Apr 27, 2022 -- 3:48PM, akabula wrote:

I don't expect Sturgeon Freeman or any other British politician to be experts in this field.Accepting that they, in the main, would have followed the scientific advice.If the Inquiry finds otherwise then thats a different situation.Saddos question is also crucial.Did the Gov tell the hospitals to empty the wards of old folk, or did the NHS tell the Gov we need to empty these wards? Important point surely.

The govt told the hospitals. I have that on good authority

By:
akabula
When: 27 Apr 22 16:13
I wouldn't have thought the NHS would allow the government to dictate to them in what was clearly a medical matter.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 27 Apr 22 16:21
I agree with that Bula but who the feck knows what the truth is. HS are guilty of cover ups too!

This is why the truth matters!
By:
Stickywickets
When: 27 Apr 22 16:26

Apr 27, 2022 -- 4:13PM, akabula wrote:

I wouldn't have thought the NHS would allow the government to dictate to them in what was clearly a medical matter.

Doctors were furious apparently

By:
moisok
When: 27 Apr 22 16:35
very sad all these deaths of covid and related illnesses -  would these poor victims be the ones who were dumped by their relatives in the care homes in the first place?
By:
akabula
When: 27 Apr 22 16:43
I genuinely don't think that the  assemblies or the government did anything that they knew to be detrimental to peoples well-being.
None were experts and all were acting on advice given.

I also think the use, or should that be misuse, of public money will attract the most criticism.

For instance this report from Audit Scotland.

17 Mar 2022 — AUDITORS say they've been unable to properly analyse nearly £5 billion of Scottish Government Covid-19 funding because of a “data gap”.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 27 Apr 22 17:00
would these poor victims be the ones who were dumped by their relatives in the care homes in the first place?

Do you think that residents in old peoples homes are found dumped in tesco's moisok?

You comment is exceptionally ignorant and shameful, even for you!
By:
PorcupineorPineapple
When: 27 Apr 22 17:53
Is saddo's question that relevant really? I actually agree with sticky for onceShocked in that I've heard it was a top down measure. However, whichever way round the only valid point is ensuring those sent out to care homes weren't positive and ready to infect the population there. If the bed blockers were negative then I'm all for them being sent back to the care home. Undoubtedly would have been the right move. Don't care who authorised it ultimately.

The salient point was in not testing these people before them leaving to check they weren't going to seed the virus. That was just negligence.
By:
----you-have-to-laugh---
When: 27 Apr 22 17:56
Some of those in hospital were not on visit
from care home.

Given dnr notices,

Shameful.
By:
moisok
When: 27 Apr 22 17:58
no wd  but I wonder at the people whinging are the people who DUMPED their elderly in the homes  - got to get them out of the way so they don't upset their routine  - total hypocrisy - ' your comment is exceptionally ignorant and shameful even for you'

you love to get your personal insults in early wd  - must be losing the argument if you resort to that

is this the usual way of the progressives  narrative?
By:
SontaranStratagem
When: 27 Apr 22 18:03
Theres no way out of this without bloodshed

Theyll continue to poke until that happens
By:
PorcupineorPineapple
When: 27 Apr 22 18:03
I can only assume moysey's kids are already experts in treating dementia patients so he's in good hands.
By:
moisok
When: 27 Apr 22 18:21
no wonder the progs on here are in a bad mood and acting up with their barbs and insults  - they are wetting themselves at the thought of their Twitter accounts being cancelled  ho hoCool
By:
jollyswagman
When: 28 Apr 22 19:57
saddo • April 27, 2022 2:34 PM BST

it was government policy, there were two documents basically telling hospitals to kick people out. i dont have them anymore but it was shocking how little care there was for what would inevitably follow.

the hapless hancock is responsible-

https://davidallengreen.com/2022/04/the-key-paragraph-in-the-significant-covid-and-care-homes-judgment/

the comments are worth reading too.
By:
----you-have-to-laugh---
When: 28 Apr 22 20:53
Whilst I blame the politicians, there must
have been advice from somewhere for all 3
governments to carry out this policy.

I guess that will come out at a full inquiry.

Still, common sense should have kicked in that
this was dreadful policy.
By:
saddo
When: 28 Apr 22 20:56
The politicians have always maintained they have followed the science, I have some doubt that they decided to empty hospitals without consultation with the NHS(science)
By:
thegiggilo
When: 29 Apr 22 00:00
Never forgive,never forget i'm telling my 10 year old son in bits and pieces just so he reaizes how evil these people are..before MSM  get's their brainwashing into him and believing their appeasement..
By:
thegiggilo
When: 29 Apr 22 00:00
Never forgive,never forget i'm telling my 10 year old son in bits and pieces just so he reaizes how evil these people are..before MSM  get's their brainwashing into him and believing their appeasement..
By:
clouded leopard
When: 29 Apr 22 09:46
Did your 10 year old son support the restrictions/lockdowns/scary rhetoric in order to put fear into people ?

Would he have it all over again just to save old,fat and unhealthy people at his own cost ?
By:
politicspunter
When: 29 Apr 22 09:50
I think what the lockdowns achieved was saving lives and making everyone feel safer.
By:
clouded leopard
When: 29 Apr 22 10:11
I see

Most people I know would wholeheartedly disagree with you but then again you have your firm unwavered views and trust in officialdom/science like the baa lambs they so desire...

What about the cost of lockdowns punter , the negatives ?
By:
clouded leopard
When: 29 Apr 22 10:12
The mental disorders especially ... plain to see where I'm from
By:
politicspunter
When: 29 Apr 22 10:15

Apr 29, 2022 -- 10:11AM, clouded leopard wrote:

I seeMost people I know would wholeheartedly disagree with you but then again you have your firm unwavered views and trust in officialdom/science like the baa lambs they so desire...What about the cost of lockdowns punter , the negatives ?

On the contrary, opinion polling showed that the electorate were very supportive of government policy in that regard of all four home nations.

Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com