Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Pokermonster
13 Mar 22 00:18
| Topic/replies: 11,512 | Blogger: Pokermonster's blog
Outstanding.

I’m sincerely grateful a few broadcasters of his calibre still remain.
Pause Switch to Standard View Neil Oliver’s monologue on GB News...
Show More
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- March 13, 2022 12:24 AM GMT
KGB news
Report A_T March 13, 2022 12:32 AM GMT
more Putin appeasement?
Report A_T March 13, 2022 12:35 AM GMT
looking forward to the channel's 2 hours specials on Myanmar and Yemen.
Report Pokermonster March 13, 2022 12:36 AM GMT
He was expressing his heartfelt sympathy with the hundreds of thousands of children who have been displaced from everything they have ever known.
Report casemoney March 13, 2022 12:41 AM GMT
A few thousand have  gone Missing as well Poker , Now you would think before all these people ran for the Hills The authorities would have thought about looking after Vulnerable Children , Apparently not .
Report A_T March 13, 2022 12:42 AM GMT
if it were translated for him Putin will have loved every second of that
Report Pokermonster March 13, 2022 12:43 AM GMT
It was an exceedingly moving speech. And humbling, too, pointing out just how far removed most of us are from the horrors of war.
Report A_T March 13, 2022 12:43 AM GMT
a Lord Haw-haw for our times
Report A_T March 13, 2022 12:45 AM GMT
pointing out just how far removed most of us are from the horrors of war.

it's good he's on a news channel then - they can now devote hours of coverage to the conflicts around the world - there's nothing stopping them
Report casemoney March 13, 2022 12:45 AM GMT
Pedos must be lining up on the Borders AT , Thousands of Orphans etc on the Missing list ,Putin was parked up for weeks was there any plans made in case  of an Invasion ?
Report A_T March 13, 2022 12:49 AM GMT
Putin was parked up for weeks was there any plans made in case  of an Invasion ?

was else should the world be doing just in case Putin decides to invade countries?
Report A_T March 13, 2022 12:49 AM GMT
not Putin's fault at all Crazy
Report A_T March 13, 2022 12:53 AM GMT
maybe all countries bordering Russia should be evacuated in an orderly fashion just in case Putin decides to invade?
Report casemoney March 13, 2022 12:54 AM GMT
Putin needs to be  Taken out AT , no one is interested in  doing it  ..
Report casemoney March 13, 2022 12:55 AM GMT
I agree AT because no one is doing foook all,Do you think this Lunatic and his army are bothered by Sanctions PMSFL Laugh
Report casemoney March 13, 2022 1:00 AM GMT
Do you think he will stop at Ukraine , Because I do not , He will have gained Soldiers on his March at least 20 % were or will have become pro Russian .. Unless he is taken out  , What happens ?
Report casemoney March 13, 2022 1:01 AM GMT
He is not Stopping in UKRAINE he has gained nothing if he does that .
Report A_T March 13, 2022 1:03 AM GMT
casemoney remember when US intelligence identified cyberattacks as coming from Russia and Trump refused to accept this? Can you point us to your posts condemning trump for this? thanks in advance
Report TimmyRiggins March 13, 2022 3:27 AM GMT
Neil Oliver does a better than Benzos.
Report Stickywickets March 13, 2022 8:00 AM GMT

Mar 13, 2022 -- 12:41AM, casemoney wrote:

A few thousand have

Report Stickywickets March 13, 2022 8:01 AM GMT
Case

Thousands of kids have gone missing since Biden's border invasion

https://www.axios.com/migrant-children-biden-administration-a597fd98-03a7-415c-9826-9d0b5aaba081.html
Report politicspunter March 13, 2022 9:57 AM GMT
Give the archaeologist his spade back.
Report LoyalHoncho March 13, 2022 11:07 AM GMT
Couldn't agree more.
Has he had a nervous breakdown recently?  So many things he brings up that it would take hours to answer.  In my opinion jndividual things he says are great other individual things are already known and felt by many and other individual things are just rubbish.
For me the bottom line is this.
Will turning the other, hate-less cheek to Putin and Russia stop him?
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk March 13, 2022 11:14 AM GMT
Agreed, Poker Monster
Report LoyalHoncho March 13, 2022 11:27 AM GMT
I think I've offended Playtech!  Sad  Laugh
Report LoyalHoncho March 13, 2022 11:31 AM GMT
Btw j-c-m, in my long lost youth a mate of mine was an avid Higgins fan, even before he became the media darling that he did.  So when we played a teenage version of snooker he was Higgins and I chose to be Doug Mountjoy because being a vampire wasn't an option and other players were old farts.
As in real life Mountjoy always got stuffed! Laugh
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk March 13, 2022 11:36 AM GMT
I tried copying the Hurricane when I played....................but only once
I should've had more water with it........hic Cool
Report A_T March 13, 2022 11:40 AM GMT
i spoke to Alex Higgins once - think he'd had a drink
Report Pokermonster March 13, 2022 2:17 PM GMT
I knew Alex Higgins and played him several times. Still have one of his cues.
Report Pokermonster March 13, 2022 2:22 PM GMT
I knew Ray Reardon very well. I used to meet up with him regularly after he retired from competitive match play.
Report Pokermonster March 13, 2022 2:28 PM GMT
This was Higgins’ cue… although the case is mine, obviously!

Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk March 13, 2022 2:44 PM GMT
Think he used to use Burroughs and Watts, PM
Is that 1 or did he switch later in career?
Report Pokermonster March 13, 2022 2:58 PM GMT
Higgins switched cues quite often, Mr J… all throughout his career really, but particularly towards the end.

The cue in the photograph was made by a gentleman called Roger Bucknall, who later found greater fame as a luthier of world renown. Roger made guitars for such icons as Sting, Jagger, Dylan etc.
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk March 13, 2022 3:11 PM GMT
Very interesting PM ty.
I learned a new word too! Grin
Report Escapee March 13, 2022 3:39 PM GMT
That's a fantastic memento JCM, And to own a genuine cue from such an iconic virtuoso is no doubt a joy and an asset. [thumbs up emoji]

The case also looks quite special, but it popped into my mind that it looks like a coffin for an heroic stick insectLaugh and now I can't unthink itSad.
Report Escapee March 13, 2022 3:42 PM GMT
even the clips down the side look like the handles  pall bearers use.
Report Pokermonster March 13, 2022 4:37 PM GMT
Thank you, Mr E.

Roger Bucknall is an incredible craftsman. Here is a photograph of something he created for a catalogue cover. The hand and cue are carved from a single block of wood… by that I mean he did not just make the hand and slide the cue butt in afterwards. It is one solid piece of art. If one looks closely it is possible to detect the cue splices running all the way through the knuckles.

Imagine the eye to not only envisage such a beautiful work, but also to possess the enviable skill required to bring one’s vision to life.

Report Escapee March 13, 2022 4:57 PM GMT
ooops my bad for attributing it to JCM, apologies to both of you.

and yes PM, that kind of art and skill regarding the hand and cue has me in awe at times.

I really don't get 'abstract' stuff,  that at best is essentially an idea with almost zero skill in execution, and often no idea and no skill. Each to their own though.

sometimes, the idea is so new or controversial, that it has a merit of its own without the skill. Such as "the bricks" or Tracey Emin's bed maybe.

but 99.99999% of abstract art is tosh imho.
Report Pokermonster March 13, 2022 5:00 PM GMT
Yes, I agree, sir.
Report Escapee March 13, 2022 5:26 PM GMT
I'm probably being to harsh on the abstract genre, as Dali & Magritte are up there with Holbein & Van ****, or Van Gogh who had his feet in both camps.

but Rothko and his squares, or Hirst and his £million dot paintings... gezzuz
(Hats off to them for being able to sell them at such high prices though)
Report Escapee March 13, 2022 5:27 PM GMT
the censors on this forum.... Sadthought controlSad
Report TimmyRiggins March 13, 2022 5:47 PM GMT
Nice little mementos, PM.

Ray Reardon was tight af, I remember that much from experience Laugh

I played Higgins and a few other pros when I was a teenager.
Report Torquemada March 13, 2022 6:07 PM GMT
What is something like that worth Poker?
Report Pokermonster March 13, 2022 6:14 PM GMT
Possibly quite a lot to the right person, sir… probably as much for the Bucknall connection as Higgins.
Report Pokermonster March 13, 2022 6:17 PM GMT
I’ve also got three of eight cue butts Roger Bucknall made for Jim Rempe in 1985.

Older members might recall that Jim was a famous American pool player in the 1970s and 1980s. He even appeared in The Baltimore Bullet with James Coburn
Report Torquemada March 13, 2022 6:18 PM GMT
Awesome!
Report politicspunter March 13, 2022 6:22 PM GMT
I remember watching Rempe doing trick shots and he was brilliant entertainment.
Report politicspunter March 13, 2022 6:23 PM GMT
It may have been a World of Sport event on a Saturday afternoon?
Report Pokermonster March 13, 2022 6:27 PM GMT
Yes, it was, PP. Jim played a few exhibition matches with Joe Barbara and Norbert Lang.
Report Pokermonster March 13, 2022 6:28 PM GMT
Joe’s bottle went in those games. He really should have beaten Jim quite comfortably on the English tables.
Report politicspunter March 13, 2022 6:31 PM GMT
Lang was a wee German guy with a moustache I think? Think I saw him playing/winning in a European level event at roughly the same era.
Report Pokermonster March 13, 2022 6:34 PM GMT
Correct, sir.
Report politicspunter March 13, 2022 6:36 PM GMT
I can't place the Joe Barbara guy. I take it he was a top player from the UK?
Report Pokermonster March 13, 2022 6:39 PM GMT
You might remember him as Maltese Joe?

He was indeed a top player of the time, but it must be said the standard back then wasn’t great compared to the best of today… but then again what is?
Report Torquemada March 13, 2022 6:40 PM GMT
Interesting stuff.
Report politicspunter March 13, 2022 6:41 PM GMT
Ah, the name Maltese Joe does ring a bell now. For a very small nation, Malta have had some cracking players over the years.
Report Torquemada March 13, 2022 6:42 PM GMT
Would you sell any of that memorabilia Poker? I know somebody who might be a buyer.
Report Pokermonster March 13, 2022 6:50 PM GMT
Well, maybe, sir. I’d never say never.
Report politicspunter March 13, 2022 6:58 PM GMT
I am fairly sure Rempe played in a three man "Rest of the World" team snooker event. I have been racking my brains to think who else might have been in the team. The only guy I can think of is Tony Drago? The rest of the teams were probably British Isles, Canada, Australia and South Africa. I met Silvino Franciscos former wife while on holiday a few years ago. His wasn't a pretty story.
Report Torquemada March 13, 2022 7:00 PM GMT
He will be interested in the Higgins cue for certain.
Report LoyalHoncho March 13, 2022 7:25 PM GMT
Fantastic Pokermonster.  Thanks for displaying it.
Report Pokermonster March 13, 2022 7:44 PM GMT
Thank you, sir.

It was Dene O’ Kane who played in the Rest of the World team with Rempe and Francisco.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- March 13, 2022 7:53 PM GMT
I spent an afternoon in a bookies with Alex Higgins, at
Fulford golf course, on course tax free betting. He played in
Pro am day before.

Quite a character, he backed Jester,.. Of course he would,
in the big sprint at York, it won, but stewards, he really
wanted to have another bet.

Bookie let him have a conditional bet, if it keeps race youve
got £xxx on fav in next race...

Lol Fav gets beat, still stewards... Chaos!!!
Report Pokermonster March 13, 2022 8:35 PM GMT
Here’s a photograph of players managed by Howard Kruger.

The scene was staged to promote a truly dire music single (their answer to Matchroom’s Snooker Loopy) but the cues they’re all holding were mine.

Report A_T March 14, 2022 12:09 PM GMT
Pokermonster do you think the tables and conditions are easier than they used to be? I ask because 147s are fairly common these days whereas before John Spence noone had made one in competition. Or is it that the players are simply better and a lot more snooker is being played - although many individual matches used to be longer (50 frames+)?
Report Pokermonster March 14, 2022 2:26 PM GMT
Both those facts are true, sir.

The conditions have improved almost beyond all recognition: thinner, faster cloths; lighter, more responsive balls; and heated tables to remove all moisture from the baize. All these factors make the game so much easier.

Plus, like most pursuits of human endeavour, modern players (benefitting from the advantages detailed above) are far superior to those who came before.
Report lfc1971 March 14, 2022 3:04 PM GMT
Find it difficult to believe that there has ever been a better snooker player  than Jimmy White
Report lfc1971 March 14, 2022 3:05 PM GMT
Super photo
Report LoyalHoncho March 14, 2022 4:01 PM GMT
Great, great player without doubt. He also seems to be a pretty decent human being albeit a little self-harming.  But there the epithets must stop.  Great champion he could never be because he just didn;t have it in him.
I had huge respect for his old Dad after Hendry had given him a real hiding in the final at Crucible.
He said "There is no disrespect or disgrace in being beaten by such a great player".  Had to have taken a lot to say that.
But in saying everything I have said would I - even now - like to watch Hendry in preference of White and, as Scottish as I am, the answer is a resounding no.  And I so wish he had beaten Hendry in or two of those finals!
Report lfc1971 March 14, 2022 4:19 PM GMT
very good post loyalhoncho
Report A_T March 14, 2022 4:24 PM GMT
The 17-18 loss to Hendry at the Crucible was a huge disappointment - seem to remember Jimmy was in the balls then missed a black off the spot - Hendry cleared up
Report lfc1971 March 14, 2022 4:24 PM GMT
I think when he lost to Higgins in that semi final , and he was young , Jimmy White was the greatest player in the world at that time
such a pity in a way may have went on to win many world championships
Report lfc1971 March 14, 2022 4:26 PM GMT
That defeat was a defining one
Report Pokermonster March 14, 2022 6:26 PM GMT
Alex Higgins was arguably the greatest shotmaker we’ve ever known. I’ve certainly never seen any other top professional run out of position so regularly, yet somehow scramble his way back into a break. For that reason he was probably my favourite player to watch.

Some contend the exact opposite, but in many ways I always felt Higgins over-achieved given his many flaws… on and off the table.
Report LoyalHoncho March 14, 2022 7:43 PM GMT
I agree 100% lfc.  He missed that pink ( I think it was ) and I like to think that he thought he could still get back in ( penultimate frame ).  But Higgins was flawless and I am sure - I was at the time and still am - that that disfigured Jimmy mentally thereafter.  Who knows?  I don;t think even Jimmy knows but he was very brittle in several top finals in his later career as if the pressure really affected him at times of stress.
Report mafeking March 15, 2022 1:44 PM GMT
got close in 1984 after fighting back from 12-4 (?) down, would think he was favourite against parrott in 1991 before losing first session 7-0 and certainly should have won in 1992 and as mentioned when in the balls in the 1994 final frame. how he didn't win 2 or 3 world titles at least Cry
Report moisok March 15, 2022 3:58 PM GMT
Is Oliver a kremlin man?
Report akabula March 15, 2022 4:09 PM GMT
No.
Report akabula March 15, 2022 4:12 PM GMT
He's a Unionist so gets a tough time from most of the media.
Report TimmyRiggins March 15, 2022 4:49 PM GMT
Oliver is an ASMR artist, and a great sleep aid.
Report TimmyRiggins March 15, 2022 4:51 PM GMT

Mar 15, 2022 -- 2:44PM, mafeking wrote:

got close in 1984 after fighting back from 12-4 (?) down, would think he was favourite against parrott in 1991 before losing first session 7-0 and certainly should have won in 1992 and as mentioned when in the balls in the 1994 final frame. how he didn't win 2 or 3 world titles at least

I cried my eyes out when he missed that black off the spot in the decider. Basically match ball, as the remaining reds were pretty open iirc.

My brother was a Hendry fan, so there were some arguments that night Cry

Report Torquemada March 15, 2022 7:52 PM GMT
Did you get the email Poker?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com