Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
politicspunter
13 Oct 21 17:30
| Topic/replies: 33,892 | Blogger: politicspunter's blog
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-58900981
Pause Switch to Standard View Claudia Webbe: MP guilty of...
Show More
Report politicspunter October 13, 2021 5:32 PM BST
Any prison sentence will result in an automatic recall petition, a sentence of 12 months or more will result in an automatic by-election.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- October 13, 2021 5:46 PM BST

https://www.defence-barrister.co.uk/maximum-sentences

Magistrates court, might be under 12 months
Report politicspunter October 13, 2021 5:51 PM BST
https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/outlines/harassment-and-stalking/
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- October 13, 2021 5:56 PM BST
Think they'd need to send her to
a higher court for a bigger sentence.

Still possible, if magistrate
finds he doesn't have suitable
sentence.
Report politicspunter October 13, 2021 6:05 PM BST
An MP who made threatening phone calls to a woman because she was jealous of her relationship with her partner has been found guilty of harassing her.

Claudia Webbe, 56, a former Labour MP for Leicester East, who is now independent, was found guilty of one charge of harassment.

Westminster Magistrates' Court heard she made several calls over two years and threatened the woman with acid.

After the verdict, Ms Webbe said she was "deeply shocked" and would appeal.

The prosecution said Ms Webbe, of Islington, north London, made a string of calls to 59-year-old Michelle Merritt between September 2018 and April last year.

The court heard on one occasion she made an "angry" call, used a derogatory term and added: "You should be acid."

In another she threatened to send naked photos and videos of Ms Merritt to her family and made silent calls from a withheld number, the hearing was told.

'I'm the victim'
During cross-examination on Wednesday Ms Webbe said she had never met Ms Merritt and "there was no reason for any falling out".

She claimed a recorded phone call on 25 April in which Ms Webbe was heard saying "get out of my relationship" 11 times was taken out of context.

Ms Webbe said it had been during a heated argument with Mr Thomas over breaching the Covid-19 lockdown with Ms Merritt.

"I simply called her and asked her not to break lockdown with Lester," she said.

"She was breaking the rules and I was just pointing it out. I'm the victim."

Ms Webbe claimed she was a victim of "domestic abuse and coercive control" and was being "goaded and gaslighted" during the row, which resulted in police being called after a neighbour reported her screams.

Finding Ms Webbe guilty Chief Magistrate Paul Goldspring said he did not find the defendant compelling and truthful in all aspects of her evidence.

"Some things she said in the witness box just don't bear scrutiny," the Chief Magistrate said.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- October 13, 2021 6:08 PM BST
Some folk deserve a stiff sentence.

She seems a nasty piece of work.

Her continued dishonesty should
count against her.

Of course she is entitled to appeal.
Report tobermory October 13, 2021 6:09 PM BST
Mr Goldspring adjourned sentencing to November 4 and released Webbe on unconditional bail but warned her she could face prison.

'Threatening to throw acid at somebody and to send intimate photographs to family members crosses the custody threshold,' he said.

Ex-party leader Jeremy Corbyn had described her as a 'warm-hearted person' who is particularly 'dedicated' to issues of social justice. He wrote: 'Claudia is a person who is very committed to ensuring justice is done, and is prepared to state uncomfortable truths when it matters.

'I have the outmost respect and confidence in her, and as someone who has known her well for many years, I have no hesitation in recommending her as a person of good character, that makes an important contribution to our world.'

Meanwhile former shadow chancellor John McDonnell wrote: 'I know her to be an honest, responsible and extremely caring person. 'In all that she does, Claudia shows her empathy and emotional understanding. Claudia will always go the extra mile to help someone. 'She has demonstrated, both as a trade unionist representing her members and as a member of parliament representing her constituents that she has that human quality that enables her to relate to others, understanding their concerns and gaining their trust.

'She is meticulous in her behaviour, always polite and respectful and mature in her judgement. In the most challenging situations I have witnessed her respond with sincerity and calm.'
Report politicspunter October 13, 2021 6:13 PM BST
Mr Goldspring adjourned sentencing to November 4 and released Webbe on unconditional bail but warned her she could face prison.

'Threatening to throw acid at somebody and to send intimate photographs to family members crosses the custody threshold,' he said.

I would be astonished if she escaped a custodial sentence.
Report tobermory October 13, 2021 6:15 PM BST
So Labour had Keith Vaz in this seat, and when he had to go replaced him with Webbe.

Wonder what sort of character they will have lined up for the by election Scared
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- October 13, 2021 6:18 PM BST
A tory questioning the honesty
of a politician is delicious
tobermory

If only you applied same standards, eh?
Report tobermory October 13, 2021 6:19 PM BST
Tories nothing to do with me.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- October 13, 2021 6:23 PM BST
Even more delicious then if
you are to the right of the facist
tory party.
Report tobermory October 13, 2021 6:26 PM BST
Dunno where you get that idea from. 

I haven't defended any Tories who have ended up in court (that I can recall)
Report politicspunter October 13, 2021 6:28 PM BST
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leicester_East_(UK_Parliament_constituency)
Labour should strictly hold this seat easily in a by election but given the circumstances of the previous two incumbents, nothing can be certain.
Report tobermory October 13, 2021 6:31 PM BST
She sounds like a nutter, with her nutty, box ticking defence, listing all kinds of Woke causes to explain her behaviour...

Claiming to be a MeToo# victim of her partner, who was 'gaslighting' her. Nothing to support that.
Claiming she was only unhappy they were meeting because she was so anxious to uphold Covid rules.
Report tobermory October 13, 2021 6:34 PM BST
In a recording played to Westminster Magistrates' Court, MP Claudia Webbe answers the phone and immediately begins shouting at Michelle Merritt.

Webbe : 'Why are you still butting in and getting with Lester? Why, why? 'He's not your friend, he's with me and I don't want you to be in touch with me, 'I don't want you to be in touch with him.'

Lester Thomas: 'Don't listen to her, send me a message whenever you like. 'Michelle, come off the phone and call the police.'

Webbe screams: 'Lester why don't you go and live with her? TAKE EVERYTHING AND GO AND LIVE WITH HER!'

Ms Merritt asks why Webbe keeps calling her but Webbe screams: 'Can you stop. Can you GET OUT OF MY RELATIONSHIP, GET OUT OF MY RELATIONSHIP.

'GET OUT OF MY RELATIONSHIP!
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- October 13, 2021 6:41 PM BST
You like to defend racism,

Sending folk to jail for name calling
a no no for you

But here we are...

And somehow you don't want to
defend her right to harass folk

Funny that?
Report tobermory October 13, 2021 6:41 PM BST
They have the recordings where there is no mention of Covid concerns, but still comes out with all this in court Plain

'Lester said he had met up with Michelle and I had said 'you can't really do that, we're in a national lockdown'. Lester doesn't really believe in covid and I felt I needed to tell Michelle that she shouldn't be breaking it. He believes it's a hoax, he doesn't want to get vaccinated. He doesn't believe it.

'I couldn't understand why she would breach lockdown with Lester and I couldn't understand why Lester would. He felt that he was an essential worker and he could continue with his everyday life.

'He saw nothing wrong with it and therefore meeting up with Michele was something that he did. I said 'well you actually can't do that' but he was not wanting to listen so I asked Michelle could she not breach lockdown with Lester.'
Report tobermory October 13, 2021 6:46 PM BST
I don't get that comparison at all.

I haven't defended racist comments. I just don't think people should be jailed for posting insults on the internet. Ban then from Twitter or whatever they posted it, but prison is over the top.

To be harassing a person that you know, and know where they live etc, is different. I'm not saying Claudia Webbe should go to jail necessarily, depends how you interpret the 'you should be acid' remark. Is it a threat or just an insult?
Report casemoney October 13, 2021 7:13 PM BST
Threatening to "acid" her target won't help her. Shocking Stuff makes you wonder what you are Voting for Plain
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- October 13, 2021 7:14 PM BST
I don't expect you to be able
to get the comparison.
Report politicspunter October 13, 2021 7:44 PM BST
This Covid defence of Webbe is clearly total codswallop. Was it Covid when acid was threatened or Covid when the threat of sending naked pictures was used?
Report politicspunter October 13, 2021 8:03 PM BST
A Labour Party spokesperson said:

“The Labour Party strongly condemns Claudia Webbe’s actions and she should now resign.”
Report windsor knot October 13, 2021 9:12 PM BST
i think if i had corbyn as character witness statement i'd rather just take the porridge .
Report politicspunter October 13, 2021 9:57 PM BST
Hopefully a bye election with George Galloway standing. Now that could be really interesting! Grin
Report politicspunter October 13, 2021 9:58 PM BST
Leicester East

27% A level or degree
51% Leave

67% non white in the 2011 census
48% Asian
33% Hindu

This looks like a golden opportunity for Gorgeous George.
Report mad mad moon October 13, 2021 10:14 PM BST
Where would she have got naked pictures of the victim from?
I can only assume from her boyfriend. Classy bloke.
Unless she was bluffing.
Report impossible123 October 13, 2021 10:23 PM BST
How the hell can someone of her behaviour become a British MP? Threatening to throw acid and sending naked photos of her partner's female friend to her family are clearly unfit to represent the public. And, threatening a heinous gbh? That's criminal.
Report tobermory October 13, 2021 11:12 PM BST
She didn't have any photos of her.

The 'naked photo' she admitted was of her boyfriend on the beach. Wearing shorts. So he was 'naked from the waist up'. She decided the other lady must have taken it and there must be more.
Report Dr Crippen October 14, 2021 9:56 AM BST
How the hell can someone of her behaviour become a British MP?

They can't as a rule. But the rules don't apply to Labour anymore.

They've become an awful party, full of extremists.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- October 14, 2021 11:13 AM BST
Men behaviour v women

Lol, you're having a laugh.

I think it's your blinkers that are the problem.
Report saddo October 14, 2021 12:00 PM BST
The Wakefield MP is a man, awaiting trial on sex charges.
Report tobermory October 14, 2021 12:01 PM BST
Won't be hearing much more about this case then.
Report tobermory October 14, 2021 12:02 PM BST
Oh meant for the Norway thread.
Report alun2005 October 14, 2021 4:10 PM BST
The Progressive Left queued up to give "character endorsements" for the appalling Webbe.

The terrifying thing is that Webbe is the very personification of what the Modern 'Progressive' and 'Woke' Left regard as a textbook candidate for elections, direct from Central Casting. Until of course it goes completely wrong.

Looking at her public record and utterances, the ordinary voter is left scratching their head (but not for long) asking why on earth this individual could have gone so far in politics. 

https://order-order.com/2021/10/14/the-lefts-character-endorsements-of-claudia-webbe/
Report politicspunter October 14, 2021 4:54 PM BST
Lol, it's the top forum racist. What a surprise Laugh
Report moisok October 14, 2021 5:01 PM BST
wot has race got to do with it?
Report politicspunter October 14, 2021 5:02 PM BST
Lol, another one Laugh
Report moisok October 14, 2021 5:21 PM BST
I thought punter was the top ray cyst on 'ereShocked
Report impossible123 October 17, 2021 5:02 PM BST
How long custodial sentence or a mere handslap? A former Peterborough MP who lied about "driverless" car got 3 months; Webbe threatened damage with acid. A 1.000000000000001 impending HMP inmate, and being a MP surely a history too, if so.
Report alun2005 October 23, 2021 9:23 PM BST
Well. well, well. What a surprise (NOT).

The disgraced Webbe standing unashamedly amongst Labour MPs on some self-congratulatory photo op.

Supposedly banished by Starmer's Labour but to many on the Loony Left of the party (most of it) the disgraced Webbe still represents their ideal MP, straight from Central Casting. Eulogised in court during her trial by Corbyn, Abbott and McDonnell, and still in denial over the conviction.

Utterly shameless scenes, once again showing total contempt for Parliament and the public.   

https://order-order.com/2021/10/22/claudia-webbe-proudly-poses-alongside-labour-mps-at-parliament/   

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/labour-mps-pose-with-convicted-harasser
Report akabula October 24, 2021 12:27 AM BST
Polly nowt but a racist troll.
Report alun2005 October 24, 2021 12:35 AM BST
Has ANY Parliamentarian ever sunk lower than this? 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10124065/Former-Labour-MP-reportedly-fears-discriminated-against-faces-jail.html
Report akabula October 24, 2021 12:49 AM BST
Jeremy Corbyn, John McDonnell and Diane Abbott.
All UK haters of low repute. Character witnesses, beggars belief.
I remember McDonnel calling for every Tory  to be attacked whenever out campaigning, laughing when someone suggested a female Tory MP should be hanged and also calling for insurrection. And all when he was a shadow minister in Corbyns Labour party.
Report alun2005 October 24, 2021 1:08 AM BST
An opportunity maybe for some of Labour's most 'Progressive' individuals to give a wholesome character endorsement on behalf of Ali Harbi Ali when he eventually comes to court for the Amess Murder trial? 

I'm sure many Progressives regard Ali as their ideal type of 'British Citizen' just as they would uphold Webbe as the textbook Labour MP.
Report impossible123 November 5, 2021 7:35 AM GMT
Very lucky to escape a custodial sentence despite threat of "acid" her love rival. Nevertheless, an unfit person to represent the public. A recall follow by a By-Election almost a given. Toast very soon.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com