Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Emitdeb
13 Oct 21 17:19
| Topic/replies: 5,254 | Blogger: Emitdeb's blog
Anyone still playing?
Pause Switch to Standard View Chess (from chit-chat)
Show More
Report .Marksman. October 13, 2021 5:32 PM BST
on chess.com
after last at Bath
Report Emitdeb October 13, 2021 5:38 PM BST
You got the winner of the last at Bath?
Report .Marksman. October 13, 2021 5:54 PM BST
If I knew in advance which horses would come down the middle in the straight, it would be one of them because of the track bias today.  But it's probably no bet.
Report Emitdeb October 13, 2021 5:56 PM BST
Florence Street or Delicate Kiss for me... gl
Report Emitdeb October 13, 2021 6:36 PM BST
Crips99 ... Currently rated 1191 but in truth I'm 1140 player.  anyone fancy a rapid (10 min) on chess.com.... I'm here. Happy
Report .Marksman. October 13, 2021 7:13 PM BST
10 mins each is too fast for me.  I have just lost on time and it was 30 mins each.  It would have been a draw but I couldn't move fast enough at the end to get to the 50 move limit  (without a capture or pawn move).  But that is enough for me tonight, goodnight and gl finding an opponent.
Report Emitdeb October 13, 2021 7:25 PM BST
No probs Mark, would be interested in your player name.... or others player names..?
Report .Marksman. October 13, 2021 9:52 PM BST
marksman001

I checked to see how many games you had played on there and it ran into the thousands, so I felt OK about posting my username knowing that I'm not the only one.
Report Emitdeb October 13, 2021 10:24 PM BST
Hello Mark, Just checked your games.... Laugh You play on a different planet to me.... Charlie's our top man. You need to play him because... There can be only One!  Cool Grin
Report lux October 13, 2021 11:17 PM BST
Happy to play. I mostly play blitz, badly. Although happy to stretch to a rapid. Anthalopus. Feel free to add me.
Report Emitdeb October 14, 2021 10:44 PM BST
Had a look at those blitz games, they are fast and furious.. There was a time not so long ago I considered the 10 minutes fast and furious too Blush
Report politicspunter October 14, 2021 10:54 PM BST
100 Endgames You Must Know: Vital Lessons for Every Chess Player Paperback by Jesus De La Villa (Author)

Emitdeb, if you know basic endgame technique, you can win countless games as you are in automatic mode. This is a great book, with how to win multiple pawn/rook and pawn endgames the best place to start. You can pick these up for around a tenner online.
Report lux October 14, 2021 11:01 PM BST
Not really chess, more comedy bulb horn chess.
Report Emitdeb October 14, 2021 11:03 PM BST
I've just become confused watching a blitz game.. Towards the end-game the timer began jumping up! Confused
Report Emitdeb October 14, 2021 11:12 PM BST
My brain was being frazzled just watching...
Report lux October 15, 2021 12:08 PM BST
I played obsessively for a year and a half when I was 12/13, played board 3/4 for my high school, was somewhere around 12-1300. Then discovered Heavy Metal and the local girls comp and aside from a very occasional game, Chess pretty much went out the window. Just got back into it again this year after a 30+ year hiatus, really need to study properly and refrain from the blitz if i'm to improve again though.
Report Whisperingdeath October 15, 2021 2:25 PM BST
Question to you chess players.

Is chess the most violent game out there?

Serious question. I mean are you trying to get into someone’s head  and destroy them?
Report Whisperingdeath October 15, 2021 2:27 PM BST
I heard a story about one match, might even have been a World Championship that a player playing white was so freaked out by s opponent  he resigned on his first move! Is that true or bull sheite?
Report Lee Ho Fooks October 15, 2021 2:35 PM BST
WD Answer - absolutely!

I no longer play competitively (I would guess I was around 1000 to 1200) but I love playing skittles online. It's not the best standard but that's the speed I like because I'm too old now & I always blunder then it would be just too painful being ground down when playing an hour up to 2 1/2 hour gameCry
Report Lee Ho Fooks October 15, 2021 2:37 PM BST
Fischer lost the 2nd match v Spassky when he refused to play the game
Report Whisperingdeath October 15, 2021 2:39 PM BST
I think so too Lee. Strange but fascinating.
Report Whisperingdeath October 15, 2021 2:40 PM BST
Not referring to Fischer but a game possible in the 1930’s certainly first half of 20th Century.
Report .Marksman. October 15, 2021 2:40 PM BST
I can only speak for myself and nearly all my games are online, so I don't know who my opponent is.  I don't try to destroy my opponents and, win, lose or draw, I always say good game at the end (unless they quit or let the clock run down and then I block them).  I try to deduce what sort of player they are, or what they are thinking, from the early moves.  For instance, if they retreat rather than exchange a bishop for one of my Knights, I take it as an indication that they are going to hang on to their bishop pair for as long as they can.  I always play my opponent using the moves that I think will work on that particular occasion, not what is the "best move" as would be recommended by books, grandmasters, computers etc.
Trouble is, my opponents are usually trying to get inside my head at the same time.
Report Lee Ho Fooks October 15, 2021 2:44 PM BST
Re. whether or not chess is a violent game. There's a great book for anyone who plays chess over the board called "Chess for Tigers - some advice given in it is brutal especially when you're on the receiving end!

Of course everything's relativeLaugh
Report Whisperingdeath October 15, 2021 2:44 PM BST
Yes.

I am not talking per set about trying to humiliate the opponent for the sake of it but getting into his head. If can be brutal.
Report Whisperingdeath October 15, 2021 2:46 PM BST
Also

What is the most dangerous sport in this country? The one with the most deaths resulting from its participation? As an aside to my original question
Report LoyalHoncho October 15, 2021 2:47 PM BST
The game ( I respect very much by the way ) defeats me.  After a while get so bored with it - bit constantly losing can do that.  Laugh I much preferred bridge until popular poker came along.  Trying to outwit playtech is now my preferred obsession.
Report Whisperingdeath October 15, 2021 2:48 PM BST
I have always found what tough guys fear the most is being humiliated. They said the sailors on The Biunty could deal with the floggings but really got upset, emotionally so, when Bligh berated them in front of the crew.
Report LoyalHoncho October 15, 2021 2:54 PM BST
I think you are right Whispering.  In fact more than any other reason I reckon humiliation is the biggest single factor in motivation to murder.
Report LoyalHoncho October 15, 2021 2:55 PM BST
At least perceived humiliation.
Report Foinavon October 15, 2021 4:10 PM BST
I played for many years in the same leagues as Charlie. I even had the pleasure of losing to him across the board and drinking a pint of Banks's afterwards. The game is both subtle and brutally aggressive and is played by all types from normal level headed people to out and out fanatics.
How good was I? Charlie reckons I was **** which is a compliment as I thought I was much worse than that.
Report Whisperingdeath October 15, 2021 4:58 PM BST
Laugh

Ok that is my post of the day!
Report Whisperingdeath October 15, 2021 4:59 PM BST
The most dangerous sport if anyone wants to know with most participant deaths is........FISHING!
Report lux October 15, 2021 11:09 PM BST
Of all the stories regarding Fischer going "rogue", this is probably my favourite ...

"He plays Kf3, this is avoiding completely the entire modern chess history" Laugh

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B9p2PrsKWY
Report Foinavon October 15, 2021 11:37 PM BST
A bit arrogant handing a couple of tempi to your opponent, he must have viewed Short as bookish.
Don't try this against a good player. Laugh
Report Emitdeb October 16, 2021 6:35 PM BST
Hi Foinavon, do you have a chess.com user name?

Lee Ho Fooks... LoyalHoncho.. Whisperingdeath. what about you guys?
Report Whisperingdeath October 16, 2021 7:39 PM BST
Nah

No time and some of my mates favourite gambit is huffing people. It would never have worked out but maybe as I get older I will join the crew in Holland Park. It looks fun.
Report Emitdeb October 16, 2021 7:50 PM BST
LaughLaugh  I haven't got the foggiest tbh.. Is that some code for back door antics?  BlushLaugh
Report Emitdeb October 16, 2021 7:51 PM BST
No offence.
Report Whisperingdeath October 16, 2021 7:57 PM BST
No the people I grew up with were a little thick. If you asked them if they played chess and got all excited with a follow up of what’s your favourite gambit, the reply might well be “ huffing people “

I have seen many people play chess in Holland Park. It is something I would like to do but chasing a ball around a pitch or chasing girls took priority. Now I am older maybe I will return to the checkered board!
Report Emitdeb October 16, 2021 8:04 PM BST
Sorry Whisper, didn't mean to insinuate anything... Grin

Bright guy like you wouldn't take long to master the game... Wink
Report Whisperingdeath October 16, 2021 11:04 PM BST
It at all!

Huffing people? Do you know what that is?
Report Emitdeb October 17, 2021 1:38 AM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iPBZzg_UK0&ab_channel=WANE15News

I do now... Sad
Report Whisperingdeath October 17, 2021 9:45 AM BST
Laugh

I never knew that!

I was referring to the old Miss World sketch / spoof where all the girls were asked what they wanted and the6 say World Peace, Then asked about their hobbies they would all say something like playing chess and horse riding.

The interviewer would then say something like chess oh really, what's your favourite gambit  and the girl would say huffing people!

So I am getting huffing people might be a Southern thang! Basically someone is trying to pretend to be smart but the lie is exposed.

So as a chess player you will be familiar with en passant. Well where I grew up the time frame of setting up a chess board and completing a game within a specific attention span without a fight was pretty small. Most played draughts. When a player does not take a drought where presented for the taking the other player can remove that drought and the move is known as “ huffing “

Huffing is a rule used in some board games, such as Alquerque, Asalto and traditional and informal English draughts (checkers). By this rule, a player who fails to make a capturing move when one is available is penalised by having the piece that could have performed the capture huffed, i.e. removed from the board.
Report Lee Ho Fooks October 17, 2021 10:05 AM BST
Emitdeb - don't go on chess.com
Report Foinavon October 17, 2021 11:52 AM BST
I've only ever played over the board Emitdeb and I'm not keen on blitz. I gave up about 10 years ago as I was fed up of all the travelling involved in league chess and just retain an interest in solving chess problems now. Sorry.
Report LoyalHoncho October 17, 2021 6:18 PM BST
I never did play seriously Emit.  Never had the gift for it.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com