Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Emitdeb
13 Oct 21 17:19
| Topic/replies: 5,426 | Blogger: Emitdeb's blog
Anyone still playing?

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 47
By:
.Marksman.
When: 13 Oct 21 17:32
on chess.com
after last at Bath
By:
Emitdeb
When: 13 Oct 21 17:38
You got the winner of the last at Bath?
By:
.Marksman.
When: 13 Oct 21 17:54
If I knew in advance which horses would come down the middle in the straight, it would be one of them because of the track bias today.  But it's probably no bet.
By:
Emitdeb
When: 13 Oct 21 17:56
Florence Street or Delicate Kiss for me... gl
By:
Emitdeb
When: 13 Oct 21 18:36
Crips99 ... Currently rated 1191 but in truth I'm 1140 player.  anyone fancy a rapid (10 min) on chess.com.... I'm here. Happy
By:
.Marksman.
When: 13 Oct 21 19:13
10 mins each is too fast for me.  I have just lost on time and it was 30 mins each.  It would have been a draw but I couldn't move fast enough at the end to get to the 50 move limit  (without a capture or pawn move).  But that is enough for me tonight, goodnight and gl finding an opponent.
By:
Emitdeb
When: 13 Oct 21 19:25
No probs Mark, would be interested in your player name.... or others player names..?
By:
.Marksman.
When: 13 Oct 21 21:52
marksman001

I checked to see how many games you had played on there and it ran into the thousands, so I felt OK about posting my username knowing that I'm not the only one.
By:
Emitdeb
When: 13 Oct 21 22:24
Hello Mark, Just checked your games.... Laugh You play on a different planet to me.... Charlie's our top man. You need to play him because... There can be only One!  Cool Grin
By:
lux
When: 13 Oct 21 23:17
Happy to play. I mostly play blitz, badly. Although happy to stretch to a rapid. Anthalopus. Feel free to add me.
By:
Emitdeb
When: 14 Oct 21 22:44
Had a look at those blitz games, they are fast and furious.. There was a time not so long ago I considered the 10 minutes fast and furious too Blush
By:
politicspunter
When: 14 Oct 21 22:54
100 Endgames You Must Know: Vital Lessons for Every Chess Player Paperback by Jesus De La Villa (Author)

Emitdeb, if you know basic endgame technique, you can win countless games as you are in automatic mode. This is a great book, with how to win multiple pawn/rook and pawn endgames the best place to start. You can pick these up for around a tenner online.
By:
lux
When: 14 Oct 21 23:01
Not really chess, more comedy bulb horn chess.
By:
Emitdeb
When: 14 Oct 21 23:03
I've just become confused watching a blitz game.. Towards the end-game the timer began jumping up! Confused
By:
Emitdeb
When: 14 Oct 21 23:12
My brain was being frazzled just watching...
By:
lux
When: 15 Oct 21 12:08
I played obsessively for a year and a half when I was 12/13, played board 3/4 for my high school, was somewhere around 12-1300. Then discovered Heavy Metal and the local girls comp and aside from a very occasional game, Chess pretty much went out the window. Just got back into it again this year after a 30+ year hiatus, really need to study properly and refrain from the blitz if i'm to improve again though.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 15 Oct 21 14:25
Question to you chess players.

Is chess the most violent game out there?

Serious question. I mean are you trying to get into someone’s head  and destroy them?
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 15 Oct 21 14:27
I heard a story about one match, might even have been a World Championship that a player playing white was so freaked out by s opponent  he resigned on his first move! Is that true or bull sheite?
By:
Lee Ho Fooks
When: 15 Oct 21 14:35
WD Answer - absolutely!

I no longer play competitively (I would guess I was around 1000 to 1200) but I love playing skittles online. It's not the best standard but that's the speed I like because I'm too old now & I always blunder then it would be just too painful being ground down when playing an hour up to 2 1/2 hour gameCry
By:
Lee Ho Fooks
When: 15 Oct 21 14:37
Fischer lost the 2nd match v Spassky when he refused to play the game
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 15 Oct 21 14:39
I think so too Lee. Strange but fascinating.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 15 Oct 21 14:40
Not referring to Fischer but a game possible in the 1930’s certainly first half of 20th Century.
By:
.Marksman.
When: 15 Oct 21 14:40
I can only speak for myself and nearly all my games are online, so I don't know who my opponent is.  I don't try to destroy my opponents and, win, lose or draw, I always say good game at the end (unless they quit or let the clock run down and then I block them).  I try to deduce what sort of player they are, or what they are thinking, from the early moves.  For instance, if they retreat rather than exchange a bishop for one of my Knights, I take it as an indication that they are going to hang on to their bishop pair for as long as they can.  I always play my opponent using the moves that I think will work on that particular occasion, not what is the "best move" as would be recommended by books, grandmasters, computers etc.
Trouble is, my opponents are usually trying to get inside my head at the same time.
By:
Lee Ho Fooks
When: 15 Oct 21 14:44
Re. whether or not chess is a violent game. There's a great book for anyone who plays chess over the board called "Chess for Tigers - some advice given in it is brutal especially when you're on the receiving end!

Of course everything's relativeLaugh
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 15 Oct 21 14:44
Yes.

I am not talking per set about trying to humiliate the opponent for the sake of it but getting into his head. If can be brutal.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 15 Oct 21 14:46
Also

What is the most dangerous sport in this country? The one with the most deaths resulting from its participation? As an aside to my original question
By:
LoyalHoncho
When: 15 Oct 21 14:47
The game ( I respect very much by the way ) defeats me.  After a while get so bored with it - bit constantly losing can do that.  Laugh I much preferred bridge until popular poker came along.  Trying to outwit playtech is now my preferred obsession.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 15 Oct 21 14:48
I have always found what tough guys fear the most is being humiliated. They said the sailors on The Biunty could deal with the floggings but really got upset, emotionally so, when Bligh berated them in front of the crew.
By:
LoyalHoncho
When: 15 Oct 21 14:54
I think you are right Whispering.  In fact more than any other reason I reckon humiliation is the biggest single factor in motivation to murder.
By:
LoyalHoncho
When: 15 Oct 21 14:55
At least perceived humiliation.
By:
Foinavon
When: 15 Oct 21 16:10
I played for many years in the same leagues as Charlie. I even had the pleasure of losing to him across the board and drinking a pint of Banks's afterwards. The game is both subtle and brutally aggressive and is played by all types from normal level headed people to out and out fanatics.
How good was I? Charlie reckons I was **** which is a compliment as I thought I was much worse than that.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 15 Oct 21 16:58
Laugh

Ok that is my post of the day!
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 15 Oct 21 16:59
The most dangerous sport if anyone wants to know with most participant deaths is........FISHING!
By:
lux
When: 15 Oct 21 23:09
Of all the stories regarding Fischer going "rogue", this is probably my favourite ...

"He plays Kf3, this is avoiding completely the entire modern chess history" Laugh

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B9p2PrsKWY
By:
Foinavon
When: 15 Oct 21 23:37
A bit arrogant handing a couple of tempi to your opponent, he must have viewed Short as bookish.
Don't try this against a good player. Laugh
By:
Emitdeb
When: 16 Oct 21 18:35
Hi Foinavon, do you have a chess.com user name?

Lee Ho Fooks... LoyalHoncho.. Whisperingdeath. what about you guys?
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 16 Oct 21 19:39
Nah

No time and some of my mates favourite gambit is huffing people. It would never have worked out but maybe as I get older I will join the crew in Holland Park. It looks fun.
By:
Emitdeb
When: 16 Oct 21 19:50
LaughLaugh  I haven't got the foggiest tbh.. Is that some code for back door antics?  BlushLaugh
By:
Emitdeb
When: 16 Oct 21 19:51
No offence.
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo