Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
30 Sep 21 16:00
| Topic/replies: 34,148 | Blogger: ----you-have-to-laugh---'s blog
A football fan who racially abused West Bromwich Albion midfielder Romaine Sawyers on social media has been jailed for eight weeks.

A court heard Simon Silwood's Facebook message was intentionally racist and not the result of autocorrect as he had claimed.

Sawyers became aware of the post after West Brom lost 5-0 to Manchester City.

Silwood, 50, from Kingswinford, West Midlands, was also ordered to pay £500 in compensation to the player.

Sentencing him at Birmingham Magistrates' Court, district judge Briony Clarke, said: "There is no place for racism or racist abuse online. This clearly, in my view, crosses the custody threshold.

"I assess the remorse you have for your actions as very minimal indeed."

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 211
By:
----you-have-to-laugh---
When: 30 Sep 21 16:01
Two social media users have been handed prison sentences for posting a video expressing extreme racist views on social media in January this year.

Jake Henderson (30), from Retford in Nottinghamshire, recorded the video during a televised briefing by the Home Secretary, making derogatory comments about her ethnicity, before going on to make insulting remarks about people from different ethnic backgrounds. He posted the three-minute video on a private social media group.

Robert Cumming (26), from Doncaster, reposted it on his own profile, from where the video went viral, with over a million views over the course of a weekend. The video and the sentiments expressed within provoked widespread condemnation and concern from members of the communities targeted by Henderson’s verbal attacks.

The CPS authorised charges of sending by public communication a grossly offensive message and prosecuted Henderson and Cumming together as a hate crime. They pleaded guilty at Mansfield Magistrates’ Court on 28 June and were today (12 August) sentenced to ten and six weeks respectively. During the sentencing, the CPS presented evidence that Henderson in particular had previously expressed views of an extreme nature and had previous links to a far-right organisation.
By:
----you-have-to-laugh---
When: 30 Sep 21 16:02
A man has been given a 14-week suspended sentence and must wear an electronic tag for 40 weeks over a racist comment directed towards black England footballers after the team’s defeat in the Euro 2020 final in July.

Scott McCluskey, 43, posted a status update on his Facebook profile shortly after England lost to Italy on 11 July, Warrington magistrates court heard. He blamed “three ethnic players” for the defeat and then used a racial slur calling for them to be sacked.

Marcus Rashford, Bukayo Saka and Jadon Sancho all missed their penalties and were deluged with racist posts in the aftermath of the game, prompting a political debate about racism in football and wider society.

McCluskey, from Runcorn, Cheshire, pleaded guilty to a single charge of sending an offensive or abusive message by a public communication network.
By:
----you-have-to-laugh---
When: 30 Sep 21 16:04
A 32-year-old Liverpool man has been sentenced for posting racist tweets about the Liverpool FC player Mohammed Salah.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said that Gary Hyland, who is from Bootle, posted the tweets during an online discussion with Liverpool FC fans on the Twitter social media site on 6 August 2019 at 3:40 am.

During the course of many tweets, Hyland became racially abusive, targeting Liverpool player Mo Salah.

He pleaded guilty to racially/religiously aggravated intentional harassment at Liverpool Magistrates’ Court on 9 August 2019. He also pleaded guilty to a further charge of obstructing an officer in the execution of his duty.

He was given a six-week jail term today, 30 August 2019, which was suspended for 12 months. The CPS prosecuted the case as a Hate Crime. The sentence was increased from four weeks to six weeks because of the racial/religious element of the harassment.

He was also sentenced to 28 days' imprisonment for obstructing the police officer. This will run alongside the other jail term and was also suspended for 12 months.

He must do 200 hours of unpaid work in the community as part of his sentence and 14 days of a Rehabilitation Activity Requirement, including attending a Promoting Human Dignity Course. He must pay costs and a £122 victim surcharge.

In the tweets, Hyland joked about the player, who is a Muslim, praying to Mecca at half time and sent altered images of the whole team praying to Allah. During the discussion, another person said “What’s the issue with Muslims lad. Can you even articulate it?"

In response to this, Hyland sent a picture of Salah at Chelsea FC’s ground,  a suicide vest had been superimposed on the top part of the player’s body. He sent further altered images that poked fun at people praying to Allah.

The tweets were reported to Merseyside Police and two days later, Hyland was arrested at his home.

Hyland later said to officers “I know I'll get charged. It was me.”

Angela Conlan of Mersey Cheshire Crown Prosecution Service, said: “When police came to arrest Hyland at his home and asked for his mobile phone, he said he couldn’t find it. His partner said it was on the couch and Hyland became really agitated and starting shouting at her, until he eventually retrieved it from under a cushion.
By:
Charlie
When: 30 Sep 21 16:07
To OP.

Quite right to especially as WBA had the Three Degrees. As a Baggie fan I well remember the abuse they had from opposing fans.
By:
Giuseppe
When: 30 Sep 21 16:07
FAO iris
By:
Corky
When: 30 Sep 21 16:10
The three degrees ??? That's a bit racially stereotyping isn't it ? Giuseppe, I hope you have noted this one.
By:
Charlie
When: 30 Sep 21 16:11

Sep 30, 2021 -- 4:10PM, Corky wrote:

The three degrees ??? That's a bit racially stereotyping isn't it ? Giuseppe, I hope you have noted this one.

Only if you're a complete fool as you seem to be.

By:
----you-have-to-laugh---
When: 30 Sep 21 16:12
Charlie

I've see the abuse over the years.

Sad to see it creeping back.
By:
Corky
When: 30 Sep 21 16:12
You wont wriggle out of it that easily Angry
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 30 Sep 21 16:13
Laugh

I saw Brendon Batson play for Cambridge at Gillingham back in the day.

Have to agree with Charlie that they were a breath of fresh air an extraordinary players and human beings.

I still recall that goal Regis scored against Manchester United.
By:
Charlie
When: 30 Sep 21 16:13

Sep 30, 2021 -- 4:12PM, Corky wrote:

You wont wriggle out of it that easily

Ha, ha your improving your fool rating with every post.

By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 30 Sep 21 16:14
Never had you down as politically correct and a member of the cancel culture corkyWhoops
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 30 Sep 21 16:15
c'mon Charlie it was funny and I think innocently made in this instanceWink
By:
----you-have-to-laugh---
When: 30 Sep 21 16:16
An older one from a decade ago..

A man who used a social networking website to post sectarian comments about Catholics and Celtic supporters has been jailed for eight months.

Stephen Birrell, 28, from Glasgow, was also handed a five-year football banning order at Glasgow Sheriff Court for writing the comments on a Facebook page titled Neil Lennon Should Be Banned.

He admitted writing the religiously and racially motivated comments between February 28 and March 8 this year.

Sentencing him, Sheriff Bill Totten said the courts had to send "a clear message to deter others who might be tempted to behave in this way".
By:
A_T
When: 30 Sep 21 16:18
sentence too lenient - too many soft judges these days
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 30 Sep 21 16:18
So corky

Do you think racially stereotyping is wrong or should not be tolerated

Are you saying Scots should not be regarded as.....let's say frugalLaugh?
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 30 Sep 21 16:19
or the directional issues and gears of Italian tanks?
By:
----you-have-to-laugh---
When: 30 Sep 21 16:22
Another old one..

A British student has been sentenced to 56 days in jail for posting racist tweets about a soccer player who collapsed on the pitch.

Liam Stacey pleaded guilty to "incitement to racial hatred," after he let loose a barrage of tweets that contained the n-word and crude sexual references. It all started earlier this month, when Fabrice Muamba, a soccer player, collapsed on the pitch and Stacey tweeted that he was dead, followed by "#Haha."

When people on Twitter reacted to his insensitivity, Stacey replied with tweets we can't reprint here. Needless to say, they contained lots of four-letter words.

Stacey sobbed throughout the hearing and held his head in his hands when he was sentenced. He was led away in handcuffs.

"District judge John Charles told Stacey: 'It was racist abuse via a social networking site instigated as a result of a vile and abhorrent comment about a young footballer who was fighting for his life. At that moment, not just the footballer's family, not just the footballing world but the whole world were literally praying for his life. Your comments aggravated this situation.

"'I have no choice but to impose an immediate custodial sentence to reflect the public outrage at what you have done. You committed this offence while you were drunk and it is clear you immediately regretted it. But you must learn how to handle your alcohol better.'"
By:
Corky
When: 30 Sep 21 16:23
Shhhhhhssssh Giuseppe hasn't logged out yet
By:
Dr Crippen
When: 30 Sep 21 16:51
Has anybody reported Charlie's post?
By:
Charlie
When: 30 Sep 21 16:54

Sep 30, 2021 -- 4:51PM, Dr Crippen wrote:

Has anybody reported Charlie's post?

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

By:
SontaranStratagem
When: 30 Sep 21 17:03
When they do start actually arresting people for racism... I'm going to be as racist as I can to get them to arrest me

They don't want none of this trust me
By:
SontaranStratagem
When: 30 Sep 21 17:04
They don't get it, they are biting off waaaaaaay more than they can chew, they'd have been better off just dropping nukes in my opinion

Instead of playing these silly games, they are way out of their depth with these games as well because we can play the game a lot better than them
By:
Dr Crippen
When: 30 Sep 21 17:05
Hang on a tad SS, let's see what happens to Charlie first.
By:
SontaranStratagem
When: 30 Sep 21 17:06
Banning anyone on youtube who goes against the vaxxine narrative now, I don't think they've worked it out yet

And I don't think these people can come out of their own backsides long enough to get it either, its an easy win against them
By:
SontaranStratagem
When: 30 Sep 21 17:07
I don't fussed about the bans coming Dr C

They can ban away, they can arrest away, they let us near those bombs we're gonna get them locked and loaded and we're gonna drop them
By:
Charlie
When: 30 Sep 21 17:17

Sep 30, 2021 -- 5:05PM, Dr Crippen wrote:

Hang on a tad SS, let's see what happens to Charlie first.

Go on be a man for once in your life and explain what I've done wrong.

You will not is my easy prediction.

By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 30 Sep 21 17:19
No chance!
By:
irishone
When: 30 Sep 21 17:55
Fao lazio supporters like giupesty
By:
moisok
When: 30 Sep 21 18:21
anyone seen the new 'charlie' in the re worked Darling Buds of May
By:
Dr Crippen
When: 30 Sep 21 18:37
Still with us is he?

His mate must be on duty tonight.
By:
peckerdunne
When: 30 Sep 21 18:56
Surely a very dangerous path to take.
By:
moisok
When: 30 Sep 21 18:57
it is being forced on you - check out the adverts
By:
peckerdunne
When: 30 Sep 21 19:05
Won't force anything on me, I don't use Facebook or media platforms and if I want to abuse someone I'll do it face to face.

Just wondering if Millwall fans will be getting nicked and what about the poor Spurs fans, not to mention travellers and invalids or Irish people.

Going to need lots of bricklayers.
By:
peckerdunne
When: 30 Sep 21 19:05
And NO, I don't tolerate racism.
By:
peckerdunne
When: 30 Sep 21 19:08
There is in afraid no promises land.
By:
peckerdunne
When: 30 Sep 21 19:12
Come on without, come on with in,you've not seen nothing like the mighty Quinn.
By:
casemoney
When: 30 Sep 21 19:13
Rsoles in Crowds screaming Abuse and throwing things at players  , Nowt done ,The Law Scanning Facebook and Twitter Laugh
By:
peckerdunne
When: 30 Sep 21 19:20
One man one vote

R U C OUT
Page 1 of 6  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML