Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
23 Sep 21 14:40
| Topic/replies: 26,633 | Blogger: ----you-have-to-laugh---'s blog
Another bonus

The oil giant has warned the Government it will struggle to keep supplies topped up and called on ministers to change jobs rules for drivers

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 21  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 21 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 812
By:
Cider
When: 23 Sep 21 17:01
Makes total sense when you consider the powers that be want everyone to swing away from petrol and derv.
By:
lapsy pa
When: 23 Sep 21 17:27
The Tesco fella saying 'panic buying could return if the crisis is not immediately addressed and could be far worse than the frenzied stockpiling at the start of the pandemic'

Wtf! Cider wasn't the general thought a quick vaccine rollout and get ahead of everyone else and a boom?

It looks to be all going pete tong to me.
By:
Cider
When: 23 Sep 21 17:32
This is the way of the world now lapsy, everything is a catastrophe. Except it isn't.
By:
lapsy pa
When: 23 Sep 21 17:37
Cider,you may have a point. Things like the price of natural gas are inescapable and the more severe problems are mainly in the UK though.
By:
Cider
When: 23 Sep 21 17:42
The wholesale price of gas is only one part of a domestic fuel bill, which includes green taxes and vat. As I said on another thread, it's particularly mild for this time of year, so domestic gas use will be very low for most. There will be another catastrophe to worry about next week.

Anyone who reads what I write on here will know that I was talking about high inflation months ago. Now it has arrived. Inevitable, the lockdown fanatics are getting what they wanted.
By:
Cider
When: 23 Sep 21 17:44
It's going to get much much worse. But it's not a catastrophe. We'll soon learn that you can't actually get something for nothing.
By:
Cider
When: 23 Sep 21 17:47
high inflation and low interest rates is the ultimate stealth tax.
By:
lapsy pa
When: 23 Sep 21 17:48
I agree,some change in even just a month though,thick and fast now,i hope we are wrong.
By:
Cider
When: 23 Sep 21 17:52
It will be curious to see what impact the end of the furlough handouts has. People have to have 40 days notice of redundancy by law. It suggests to me that the vast majority of people still on furlough are being used to milk the treasury for free cash.
By:
lapsy pa
When: 23 Sep 21 17:55
There has been no need for furlough since restrictions were lifted.
By:
Cider
When: 23 Sep 21 17:58
Arguably there was in certain industries like travel, but as per usual, the civil service take the lazy option as it's not their money. It would have been very easy to fiddle most of the covid handouts if you had the will.
By:
casemoney
When: 23 Sep 21 18:00
Plenty of Headless chickens
By:
lapsy pa
When: 23 Sep 21 18:00
Yes,travel,fair enough.
By:
Cider
When: 23 Sep 21 18:04
inbound tourism tanked as well, especially London. I handle some of the accounting in Oz though and their support schemes are based on loss of turnover. Much more sensible.
By:
lapsy pa
When: 23 Sep 21 18:13
On the other side of that UK seaside towns were very busy(imo?),No doubt a handy sideline for some fishermen.

My opinion again but a fairly significant flight from London/large cities,a lot who could move did, the only problem with that is new houses are being built in say the home counties,afaik(?) certain places are given new housing quotas and they are even being built on grade 1 arable land which is very short term.
By:
macarony
When: 23 Sep 21 18:26
Serves them right for sacking all their own staff once over not long ago the tanker drivers were on some of the best pay, then the likes of BP decided to put the work out to contract and fire and rehire routine. There was a strike but no support from the public, same old story.
By:
PorcupineorPineapple
When: 23 Sep 21 18:28
To be fair, the quitters did promise to end freedom of movement...
By:
macarony
When: 23 Sep 21 19:11
The remains logic of Brexit been the reason for these shortages is quite funny
By:
HallGreenSpy
When: 23 Sep 21 19:21
Will be among the headers of many a thread yet macarony. Brexit caused covid you know!
By:
macarony
When: 23 Sep 21 19:40
There is a glaringly obvious hole in their logic funny as funk but most remainers are blinded by rage
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 23 Sep 21 20:38
Comrade

You are almost one of us!

I am staggered!
By:
tobermory
When: 23 Sep 21 21:59
“In Germany, the DSLV transport union reports that in the next 15 years, two-thirds of drivers will retire. Germany is facing a shortage of 45,000 truck drivers, with around 30,000 leaving the profession every year. This compares with only 2,000 people receiving truck-driving qualifications each year.”

France has a shortage of 20,000 drivers, while road freight associations in Sweden, Denmark and Norway report shortages of 5,000, 2,500 and 3,000, respectively."
By:
----you-have-to-laugh---
When: 23 Sep 21 22:08
Of course drivers need to be replaced
and companies have not been
doing their bit to train them.

But

Germany, France, Sweden, Denmark
and Norway havnt exacerbated their
shortage by banning foreign drivers
from making up the shortfall.
By:
Cider
When: 23 Sep 21 22:18
I've asked this question a number of times, and yet to receive a viable response. Why have all these EU HGV drivers stayed in the UK since 2016, and apparently all run for the exit in the middle of 2021 Confused
By:
dave1357
When: 23 Sep 21 22:25
they need a work permit now, they didn't need a work permit in 2016
By:
Giuseppe
When: 23 Sep 21 22:27
weren't they all allowed to stay if they wanted?
By:
Giuseppe
When: 23 Sep 21 22:27
did any EU nationals have to leave because of brexit?
By:
Cider
When: 23 Sep 21 22:28
Oh yes that's right, people move their whole life and family to another country to avoid applying for a work permit Cry

Are you saying that people in the UK with settled status have to separately apply for a work permit?
By:
macarony
When: 23 Sep 21 22:36
Nobody that worked in the UK before Brexit had to go home there was ample time to apply for the right to stay and the vast majority are still here even those that went home during covid select infliction can come back.
So in effect Brexit has not had any bearing on the situation, unless someone can prove otherwise speak now or forever hold your peace?
By:
dave1357
When: 23 Sep 21 22:37
they are long distance lorry drivers, you melt, they didn't need to tow their family around with them.  Plus those living in the UK with families might have faced difficulties proving status due to working abroad.
By:
Cider
When: 23 Sep 21 22:41
The issue has absolutely nothing to do with EU drivers who travelled to the UK and went back. Obviously. This is home based drivers (or a supposed lack of).
By:
edy
When: 23 Sep 21 22:42
tobermory • September 23, 2021 9:59 PM BST
“In Germany, the DSLV transport union reports that in the next 15 years, two-thirds of drivers will retire. Germany is facing a shortage of 45,000 truck drivers, with around 30,000 leaving the profession every year. This compares with only 2,000 people receiving truck-driving qualifications each year.”

I think they forgot a 0 in the newly qualified drivers there. Bundeswehr alone is said to train 10k drivers for the logistics industry each year. Overall 15 to 20 thousand trained truck drivers.

As you point out, the current Brexit enhanced problem that the UK is facing already, could eventually become a problem on continental Europe too though.
By:
macarony
When: 23 Sep 21 22:48
Edy can you give me an example as to why Brexit is responsible for a so called shortage of drivers when every EU driver is either still here or had the opportunity to return
By:
akabula
When: 23 Sep 21 22:49
Due to (COVID19) HGV drivers shortages.
There sorted that for you Donny.
By:
akabula
When: 23 Sep 21 22:50
Were no HGV driver shortages until Covid struck.
By:
dave1357
When: 23 Sep 21 22:51
drivers do contracts in the UK, drivers go through the EU and to the UK, the entire pool of EU drivers was available for contract work in the UK - that all stopped after we left.
By:
dave1357
When: 23 Sep 21 22:53
Are petrol stations running dry in the USA or France due to Covid?
By:
Cider
When: 23 Sep 21 22:56
Total nonsense dave. There are plenty of foreign HGV drivers seen on UK roads but 99% of them are driving foreign trailers.
By:
edy
When: 23 Sep 21 22:57

Sep 23, 2021 -- 4:48PM, macarony wrote:

Edy can you give me an example as to why Brexit is responsible for a so called shortage of drivers when every EU driver is either still here or had the opportunity to return

It's known that hundreds of thousands of EU nationals left the UK due to Brexit and Covid. Why are you under the impression that HGV drivers were exempt and all stayed?

As for having had the chance to come back - the UK is a lot less attractive for EU nationals than in years gone by.

Contrary to what Cider insists on, I would strongly side with dave and also think that lack of drives from the continent also plays a role. This might not influence the strict number of missing drivers in the UK, but it is something that makes the lack of UK-based drivers more visible. Just like a Poland-based driver is able to hide the existing German driver shortage, something similar will have been true for the UK. A hiding effect that will have vanished to an extend in regards to the UK after Brexit became a full reality.

Page 1 of 21  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 21 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com