Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
akabula
17 Sep 21 10:04
| Topic/replies: 45,236 | Blogger: akabula's blog
Meeting next week to get our special relationship back on track.
Pause Switch to Standard View Boris and Joe
Show More
Report lapsy pa September 17, 2021 10:11 AM BST
The sooner the better!
Good news for the North of Ireland.
Report SirNorbertClarke September 17, 2021 11:37 AM BST
Special relationship LaughLaughLaugh

I very much doubt Biden or Kamala could find the UK on a globe.
Report casemoney September 17, 2021 1:50 PM BST
Joe will think hes meeting Don .
Report lapsy pa September 22, 2021 9:05 AM BST
Well,how did it go? Laugh
Report lfc1971 September 22, 2021 9:20 AM BST
Britain has a trade surplus with America , no change so it went well
Report thegiggilo September 22, 2021 9:38 AM BST
"We have no planned meetings on any sort of perspective US-UK trade deal."

Democratic congressman
@RepBrendanBoyle
says the lack of a trade deal is not out of "disrespect to the UK" but larger trading partners such as Canada and Mexico take precedence

Larger, not smallShockedLaughLaughLaugh
Report lfc1971 September 22, 2021 9:54 AM BST
The clue is in the name Brendan , that’s all you need to know
Report dave1357 September 22, 2021 9:55 AM BST
Brexiters think you should tear up trade deals with your larger trade partners.
Report xmoneyx September 22, 2021 1:20 PM BST
no trade deal LaughExcitedWink
Report Wallflower September 22, 2021 3:42 PM BST
akabula 17 Sep 21 09:04 
Meeting next week to get our special relationship back on track.

----------------------------------------------------------------

How did it go?Happy  Oh wait....  just checked myself.

Biden to Johnson:  " Go and f*ck off you fat clown and stop annoying me with a trade deal.... and by the way any messing with my Irish cousins and there will be all hell to pay. Now, don't have me to tell you again"

Johnson : " wonderful, wonderful, the special relationship is greater now than any time in our history, the US has backed our application to join a south pacific trade alliance, in fact positively encouraged it as I was shuffled out the door.  Bluster, bluster, bluster...."
Report sofiakenny September 22, 2021 3:52 PM BST
Usa about 2.5% of trade with UK..30% Mexico 30% Canada....why the f would they be DESPERATE to do a deal with as the brexit liars said?a
Report Just Checking September 22, 2021 4:11 PM BST
Why is everything Kenny the separatist liar says a lie? 30% trade Canada? 30% trade Mexico? That's OBVIOUSLY just something he made up. And it of course is. Why do left wing people / SNP supporters LIE all the time when it's easily proven wrong? Real data here:
https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/statistics/highlights/toppartners.html
Report Wallflower September 22, 2021 4:37 PM BST
I think the US politician on newsnight said Canada and Mexico account for 30% of trade (not individually) - but doesn't change the fundamental point.

UK trade deal is just not on their radar - too small to bother with and too many other issues.

Your "real data" - re-enforces this basic point
Report Just Checking September 22, 2021 5:42 PM BST
I'd suggest the Britain hating OP might want to consider that he wants a hard border between Scotland and the rest of the UK and the fact 60% of Scotland's trade goes across that border. If he wasn't blinded by hatred he might consider THAT a bigger issue.
Report lapsy pa September 22, 2021 5:44 PM BST
You got something right at last JC, that OP really seems to hate Britain.
Report Just Checking September 22, 2021 5:50 PM BST
Oh dear, easily one of the mose clueless people on the forum is now following me around trying to troll me. Isn't the internet marvelous.
Report lapsy pa September 22, 2021 5:53 PM BST
Sorry bout that,i won't bother anymore.
Report unitedbiscuits September 22, 2021 6:34 PM BST
The chemistry was great Laugh
Report unitedbiscuits September 22, 2021 6:36 PM BST
Even more special than Trump/May 2017
Report dave1357 September 22, 2021 8:43 PM BST
Just Checking • September 22, 2021 5:42 PM BST
I'd suggest the Britain hating OP..

akabula will break you for that
Report Just Checking September 22, 2021 9:04 PM BST
LOL Dave me bad :)

I mean of course Kenny. Sh1t. I'm on Aka's naughty list.

Last guy who did that .. well suffice to say, there will be a Tarantino movie made about it.LaughWink
Report Just Checking September 22, 2021 9:12 PM BST
.. why is Stuck in the Middle with You starting, I didn't put that on, and why is the front door open?
Report iamajambo September 23, 2021 2:17 PM BST
The OP,King akabula,Scotland's greatest fan of Bozo the Clown,is in dire need of a 'special relationship'with a psychoanalyst,imo.
Report unitedbiscuits September 23, 2021 2:32 PM BST
Unfortunately for the UK, "Global" Britain was/is in bed with Cambridge Analytica/Steve Bannon/AIQ, who did their damndest to defeat Bidon. And Johnson owes his position to that faction.

Would love to have been a fly on the wall when PM met POTUs and the counterparts clashed - did it go well?

Is it intact, the "Special relationship"? I believe it is, though I'm no scholar of the USA/Israel dialogue.
Report lapsy pa September 23, 2021 2:47 PM BST
This thread has everything!

Not the most astute OP as the warning signs were out well in advance with Nancy and Joe was never going to waver.A few crumbs were thrown to a very disappointed looking Boris.Back to brexit limbo.
Report unitedbiscuits September 23, 2021 2:50 PM BST
Poor akabula.
Report lapsy pa September 23, 2021 2:53 PM BST
I know,he told me the other day he was only interested in Scottish things,bad enough being wrong,it happens to the best of us but to be getting a feed of abuse then tis...... feckin brilliant Laugh
Report Giuseppe September 23, 2021 3:08 PM BST
Farage talked about this on his show last night, he reckons there won't be a trade deal for years
Report unitedbiscuits September 23, 2021 3:41 PM BST
Steve Bannon talks to Farage too (though not to Biden) so I should take his bleak assessment as accurate.

Global Britain Billy no mates. Is it the marching season?
Report edy September 23, 2021 4:11 PM BST

Sep 23, 2021 -- 9:08AM, Giuseppe wrote:

Farage talked about this on his show last night, he reckons there won't be a trade deal for years

Was he honest enough to say that was always the case to begin with, or is he pretending it's a new thing?

Report Foinavon September 23, 2021 4:16 PM BST
When will there be An EU/USA trade deal Edy?

We do alright trading with America on WTO terms, a trade deal wouldn't make a lot of difference.
Report edy September 23, 2021 4:23 PM BST
It's a long way off. Comprehensive FTAs with the USA are very, very difficult to reach. Which is why it was always utter insincere nonsense to promise a big, highly beneficial, hugely rewarding USA-UK trade deal to come to fruition in the short-term.

For the EU there is no big urgency anyway. Trade barriers are not all that tall for trade to the USA, and the EU has lots of small agreements with the USA too.
Report flat16 September 23, 2021 4:24 PM BST
Indeed a trade deal could be to our detriment ,wto works very well for UK ,USA is our biggest export market.
Report Foinavon September 23, 2021 4:35 PM BST
Probably never, Edy. French farmers would be dumping wagon loads of manure outside of the Berlaymont building at the first hint of a deal.
Report edy September 23, 2021 4:37 PM BST
Never is a terribly long time. The EU might be more enthused to come to a FTA with the USA once the USA formally have a state near Europe in the form of GB.
Report edy September 23, 2021 4:39 PM BST
*near the EU
Report edy September 23, 2021 4:40 PM BST
Though it still leaves the problem of US farmers dumping wagon loads of soy beans into the Boston harbour in protest at the mere mention of them having to compete with French farmers.
Report Foinavon September 23, 2021 4:43 PM BST
Never is a long time, perhaps I should have said "during the lifetime of the EU". US farmers scared of French competition? That's novel. You Germans do have a sense of humour after all.
Report edy September 23, 2021 4:51 PM BST
Germans have always been recognised internationally for their fine sense of humour.

Also, the EU will outlive both the USA and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Report edy September 23, 2021 4:51 PM BST
In terms of date that they cease to exist, not necessarily in total age reached.
Report Foinavon September 23, 2021 4:57 PM BST
I suspect it will outlive GB+NI as the EU has been intent on breaking us up for years. Don't know about the USA but they seem to be doing their best to destroy themselves from within at present. I guess they will eventually come to their senses.
I do like the Teutonic sense of humour, it is severely underestimated elsewhere.
Report edy September 23, 2021 5:00 PM BST
I am not surprised you admire German humour. It is a sophisticated kind of humour that is taylor-made for the fine gentlemen of this world. Not as brash and directly into your face as the humour of other people. Which is maybe why German humour is underrated.
Report flat16 September 23, 2021 5:02 PM BST
The German food and drink has always been first class and sense of humour obviously still buoyant if you are considering giving Macron his army lol.
Report Foinavon September 23, 2021 5:05 PM BST
I told your little joke to my cat, he is purring in appreciation.
Report edy September 23, 2021 5:08 PM BST
Video or it didn't happen!
Report Foinavon September 23, 2021 5:14 PM BST
he's sitting on my lap at the moment. He says that taking his photograph is against his religion and I wouldn't want to upset him.
Report flat16 September 23, 2021 5:17 PM BST
That is all we need on here ,a cat being offended ,please no !
Report Foinavon September 23, 2021 5:25 PM BST
German food and drink is excellent. Apart from sauerkraut it is however banned from our shopping basket.
Report flat16 September 23, 2021 5:34 PM BST
Had the great pleasure to live and work in Germany for a while ,a glass of cold draught warsteiner at the end of the day was superb ,tried it in the UK (brewed under licence etc) just not the same .
Report Giuseppe September 23, 2021 6:14 PM BST
edy

Farage reckons UK needed to do a deal while Trump was he was still in office, once Biden came in everything became much harder

he blamed the delays of agreeing the exit deal with the EU

once this was finished, it was too late
Report edy September 23, 2021 6:17 PM BST
Why isn't he just being honest to his fans?
Report lapsy pa September 23, 2021 6:19 PM BST
Yes Joe,Farage was invited to Trumps 'victory' party,the dup had banners for Trump,the ERG were disgusted as was the Tory party,whatever the plan was it may not have been in the British peoples best interests.
Report Giuseppe September 23, 2021 6:24 PM BST
I wonder what will happen with France now

a few papers saying France will need to be given some form of compensation
Report Giuseppe September 23, 2021 6:25 PM BST
Farage wanted a quick exit on WTO terms I think
Report unitedbiscuits September 23, 2021 7:48 PM BST
"I'm half German so, not only am I crap in bed, I have no sense of humour about it either."
Report Giuseppe September 23, 2021 7:57 PM BST
that's pretty racist mate
Report Giuseppe September 23, 2021 7:58 PM BST
yeah, going to have to report that sorry
Report Wallflower September 23, 2021 8:09 PM BST
"Farage reckons UK needed to do a deal while Trump was he was still in office, once Biden came in everything became much harder"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is where the lack of detail / knowledge comes into play.  EU and US are both far more democratic than the UK in terms of Trade - its not personality based (ie  PM / Monarch !!!!  FFS).

Firstly, Trump (or Biden for that matter ) don't control the approval of trade agreements - can't be frog-marched through a parliament, with no time to read it.  In USA its controlled by the 'ways and means' house committees - usually co-operative between Reps and Dems, but crucially, as I've said so many times before, the Irish-American influence is huge, not just in politics but in the associated lobbying / corporate world, which matters. Special relationship?Shocked I remember UK diplomats saying to get an audience with senior people in the US they had to go through the Irish embassyShocked. The EU use the Irish big-time in the US, hence in turn their own influence in the EU. (Basically told EU keep the Brits in check over Brexit - no border in Ireland, UK problem, not ours).

As an aside, did you ever wonder why EU was so brutal, and still is, over Irish internal border? It's the world of RealPolitik - if EU dont back up our small members (especially the one who has open access to the oval office) we are goosed. An aghast Theresa May is quoted as saying, "we are more important than Ireland". EU: "Sorry Therese, but the fact is, you're not in the real world".

Back to main point, trade deals didn't /don't revolve around Trump or Biden (though the latter admittedly is more embroiled in Irish-American politics). Irish-Americans don't actually control anything, but you'd be well-advised to have them on your side.

EU trade deal?  Latvia says no, then its no. Not all about Germany, France, Italy, Netherlands, Uk (RIP), etc etc.

UK and EU dont have such important matters arriving on Christmas Eve, to be agreed asap.LaughLaugh

The whole idea that PM Johnson would bluster his way to trade deals with entities as huge as the EU or the US - is well, as usual, delusional.
Report Giuseppe September 23, 2021 8:13 PM BST
yeah I was a bit surprised to hear Pelosi saying a few years ago how important the GFA was and how it needed to be protected in a trade deal

and Biden's comments when sat beside Boris were stronger than I expected too
Report Wallflower September 23, 2021 8:37 PM BST
Absolutely no offence to the Irish. It's more envy, admiration or frustration on my part.

When you see our neighbour, same size as Scotland, with  less natural resources than us and a poorer background ( though debatable GrinGrin). There you see them - sitting now as current members of the UN Security Council, huge influence in US and EU and there you see us - politically (in voting terms) a region of the UK. How can any proud Scot not be frustrated or embarrassed by the position we find ourselves in terms of national pride in comparison to Ireland?

Bottom line - and there is no getting away with this. US / EU ALWAYS ask what does Ireland say?  (Not what the Uk says, nobody is that bothered any more ).   Do they ever ask what Scotland say?  Nope. Why not? Not a proper country. End of.

Hard to take - but these are the facts - at the moment.
Report lapsy pa September 24, 2021 8:27 AM BST
No offence taken Wallflower,i am quite stunned at Irelands progress the last 20 years myself,highly educated young,at the forefront of tech,immigration generally working as mostly professionals.The low corporation tax obviously a huge advantage but a bit more than that.

Debts from the covid pandemic will not be paid back by taxing people it seems according to leaks and in fact social welfare and pensions are also in line to be raised to counter inflation amongst the more vulnerable.

Up ou dat, that is proper govnering,plenty of minus's but overall doing a great job imo.
Report Giuseppe September 24, 2021 1:01 PM BST
are you also impressed with the demographic change lapsy?
Report lapsy pa September 24, 2021 1:06 PM BST
Not sure what you mean? A younger population overall?
Report unitedbiscuits September 24, 2021 2:16 PM BST
It was evident from the influx of young Irish people to London in the late '80's, early 90's, that they were brighter and better educated than their counterparts here and a huge benefit to society. Nobody knows how many came over at that time (some would never be counted because of the poll-tax). Thirty years on, it is no surprise that Ireland is reaping the benefit of keeping the next generation at home.
Report lapsy pa September 24, 2021 2:55 PM BST
An awful lot UB but many couldn't hack it too and would go home after a few months. Nothing easy for them either,maybe renting a room and £20-£30 for a days work.
I think most/everyone would prefer if their country was very indigneous,natural enough,i couldn't believe the diversity in Cork when i was over recently. Most working and behaving themselves which is good enough for me.Always a few wrong'uns but overall it seems to be working. There is pressure on housing and hospitals etc but while not helping in the first instance they may well be instrumental in solving it over time by adding now to the countries prosperity.
Report unitedbiscuits September 24, 2021 4:33 PM BST
Of course they shall add to your country's prosperity - just as the Irish diaspora has added to the prosperity of the countries they migrated to - and they shall assimilate into the population of their adopted country too.
Report Giuseppe September 24, 2021 8:38 PM BST
70 years after windrush would you say the British asian and black populations are assimilated?
Report unitedbiscuits September 24, 2021 8:44 PM BST
Well of course it depends how different the incomers are but, yeah, that would be the tendency.
Report dave1357 September 24, 2021 9:03 PM BST
it took trump almost his entire term to make some minor tweaks to NAFTA there was utterly no chance of a UK trade agreement with trump
Report Giuseppe September 24, 2021 9:05 PM BST
to be fair there was never going to be a deal until the UK-EU deal was sorted out
Report lapsy pa October 3, 2021 10:49 PM BST
'meeting next week to get our special relationship back on track'

Fook me, you are clueless and an excuse of a man to not admit you got it well wrong.
Report akabula October 3, 2021 10:56 PM BST
Laugh
I can see lapsy taking me to court.
Report lapsy pa October 3, 2021 11:01 PM BST
No,not at all,have a small bit of humility for yourself,we all get it wrong, you are wrong here and very probably in re to Scottish independence as well,
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com