Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
frog1000
16 Sep 21 13:12
| Topic/replies: 2,800 | Blogger: frog1000's blog
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/sep/16/england-care-homes-may-be-forced-to-close-as-covid-jab-deadline-looms

Care homes may be forced to close and thousands of staff risk losing their jobs if they decline to receive their first Covid-19 vaccine by the end of Thursday, ministers have been warned.

Providers and unions have warned of an exodus of staff in England due to the government’s requirement for them to be fully vaccinated against coronavirus by 11 November. Thursday has been set as their last opportunity for a first dose unless they are medically exempt.

Andy Burnham, the mayor of Greater Manchester, said the mandatory vaccination policy was “very unfair” and that about 2,000 of the region’s care home workers faced losing their jobs overnight unless they received their first jab within hours.
Advertisement

Burnham said carers were being “singled out” by the government, although the health and social care secretary, Sajid Javid, has said that the policy was “highly likely” to be extended to frontline NHS staff after a consultation.

Ministers have previously said they estimate that about 7% of the 570,000 CQC-registered care home staff in England – about 40,000 people – will refuse the vaccine and therefore no longer be able to care for elderly residents after 11 November.

Prof Martin Green, the chief executive of Care England, the biggest provider of private care homes in the country, said the policy would deepen the sector’s staffing crisis and could force some homes to close.

“We all accept we want as many people as possible to be vaccinated. But I do feel the government has gone forward with the social care compulsion without understanding the implications, without having a thought-out plan on how they are going to deal with staff shortages,” he told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme on Thursday.

“Care homes are now in a difficult position, facing the reality of do they have enough staff to maintain safety and quality of care? They are in the position of either having to transgress the law or expose people they support to levels of staffing that are not going to deliver the safety you’re required to.”

He added: “There’s the inevitability that in some areas, if you can’t get the staff, then there will be care homes that close.”

North Yorkshire council said about 400 of its 20,000 care sector staff had not yet received a vaccine, meaning they risk losing their jobs.

Burnham said about one in 10 of all health and social care staff in Greater Manchester were not vaccinated, including about 2,000 care home workers.

“It’s for different people to make their judgments about the vaccine but I do believe it’s very unfair to put people in a position where they have concerns but then have no ability to maintain their job, if they’ve chosen not to be vaccinated,” he said.

“It is the case also that staff are leaving social care to work in the NHS where there is no such restriction, so it’s hard to see the logic of this particular policy when it doesn’t apply more broadly. Either it shouldn’t apply at all, or it should apply more broadly.”

The Department of Health and Social Care has been approached for comment.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 115
By:
frog1000
When: 16 Sep 21 13:13
Will Boris backtrack like he did on vaccine passports or will people lose the care they need to survive?
By:
therhino
When: 16 Sep 21 13:16
Will backtrack. Won't have a choice. Convincing people care homes have been closed to protect the elderly is a tough sell.
By:
frog1000
When: 16 Sep 21 13:18
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-mandatory-vaccination-for-care-workers-is-damaging-a-sector-already-on-its-knees-12409176

COVID-19: Care workers in England must get first jab by today, as govt is urged to scrap the deadline

England's care workers must get their first COVID-19 vaccine dose by today and be double-jabbed by 11 November but Unison says the policy could worsen the staff shortage.

Care homes could face "catastrophic shortages" unless the government scraps its vaccination deadline for the sector's workers, a union has warned.

Care workers in England must get their first COVID-19 vaccine dose by today and be double-jabbed by 11 November to keep their jobs.

Unison said the policy was partly to blame for the "severe staffing crisis", with many care agencies now unable to provide emergency cover.

The union estimated that up to 70,000 care home workers in England may not be fully vaccinated by the deadline, leaving many care homes in danger of closing.

Unison general secretary Christina McAnea said: "Everyone that can have the vaccine should have the vaccine, but the government has persisted with a heavy-handed approach despite warnings from care employers of the dire consequences.

"This move is damaging a sector already on its knees and undermining trust in the vaccine.

"Instead of encouraging much-needed recruitment into care, the government is actively driving experienced staff away."

GMB national officer Rachel Harrison added: "Forcing vaccination of our key workers is not the way to address vaccine hesitancy.

"Care is already facing a staffing black hole of 170,000 by the end of the year.

"Even in a best-case scenario, we will lose tens of thousands of key workers if the jab is forced on them.

"How will care bosses deal with these huge staffing vacancies.

"How can they reassure people residents will receive safe care?"

Elderly people are at higher risk of serious complications or death from COVID-19, so those in England's care homes are among the most vulnerable to the disease.

David Kelly of workplace management app Deputy, commented: "Many workers who have demonstrated their commitment to caring throughout the pandemic feel demoralised and undervalued.

"A number have explained they are not 'anti vaxxers' but have personal reasons for not wanting the vaccine, ranging from religious and cultural reasons, to health concerns."
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 16 Sep 21 13:18
I don’t blame any young person for not having the jab, particularly young women.

I think forcing people to put drugs in their bodies is vile. Coercion is a disgrace.
By:
frog1000
When: 16 Sep 21 13:19
Doesnt look like Macron backtracking in France for all healthcare.

Chaos.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 16 Sep 21 13:20
Interesting to see how the Courts will handle any claim for unfair dismissal
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 16 Sep 21 13:21
What next, jailing Care home workers for not taking chemicals?
By:
frog1000
When: 16 Sep 21 13:29
320 Staff at Nice University Hospital been suspended due to this in France.
By:
macarony
When: 16 Sep 21 13:33
Most care homes in Carlisle are running under staffed to start with because of pay and conditions, the minimum wage is the minimum wage no matter where you work if conditions are better else where or the job is easier then there is incentive to stay
By:
therhino
When: 16 Sep 21 13:34

Sep 16, 2021 -- 7:18AM, Whisperingdeath wrote:

I don’t blame any young person for not having the jab, particularly young women.I think forcing people to put drugs in their bodies is vile. Coercion is a disgrace.

100%.

By:
nineteen points
When: 16 Sep 21 13:36
I bet no one has thought to ask the care home residents whether they are bothered if the person who wipes their arze is jabbed or not?

These are the people who pay these care workers mostly so why not let them decide? If they dont want an unvaxxed person caring for them then they can go home to their family and let them look after them.
By:
nineteen points
When: 16 Sep 21 13:36
I bet no one has thought to ask the care home residents whether they are bothered if the person who wipes their arze is jabbed or not?

These are the people who pay these care workers mostly so why not let them decide? If they dont want an unvaxxed person caring for them then they can go home to their family and let them look after them.
By:
macarony
When: 16 Sep 21 13:37
Seems to be very strong oppression to this medical procedure among the medical community
By:
nineteen points
When: 16 Sep 21 13:53
i hear turkeys are never happy around xmas time as well
By:
mafeking
When: 16 Sep 21 16:23
seems like macron is doing everything possible to try to lose the election next year
By:
peckerdunne
When: 16 Sep 21 16:34
A free night out with beer and curry, problem resolved.
By:
impossible123
When: 16 Sep 21 18:43
Absolute bonkers where evidence is clear non-jabbed could and would cause harm to their elderly inmates they're supposed to be caring. Also, non-jabbed could transmit the virus to care home visitors.

No matter how valuable care workers are jabbed personnel an absolute must unless medically exempt. End of!
By:
frog1000
When: 16 Sep 21 18:48
It is clear double-jabbed could and would cause harm to their elderly inmates they're supposed to be caring. Also, double-jabbed could transmit the virus to care home visitors.

The virus is endemic. We will all get it eventually like everyone has had a cold and everyone has had the flu.

Best we can do is vax people that want it and develop better and better treatments.
By:
PorcupineorPineapple
When: 16 Sep 21 19:21
Well we can actually do BETTER than that. We can fully protect the vulnerable and not just hope the vax is enough. We can put measures in place to minimise further spread and risk of variants developing. We can also accept that the chances of a non-vaccinated person catching and passing on the virus is multiple times higher than a vaccinated one. And we could maybe inform the residents of the care homes and their families about the numbers of unvaccinated staff work at that home so they can make an informed decision on which home to use.

I mean, there's plenty we can actually do really.
By:
nineteen points
When: 16 Sep 21 19:33
You say "multiple" times higher.how many times?
By:
Cider
When: 16 Sep 21 19:51
By:
Dr Crippen
When: 16 Sep 21 20:00
A lot of non-vaccinated people have already had the virus.

I shoudn't think many health workers have escaped infection after all this time.

Some people don't even pick up the virus.
By:
shiny new shoes please
When: 16 Sep 21 20:02
ExcitedLove
Wipe away transgressions, set the captives free
Through the roads of creation
We, the generation, tread through great tribulation
By:
impossible123
When: 16 Sep 21 20:18
I'd readily and willingly be in a close environment with fellow jabbers than non-jabbers. Whether the non-jabbers have had the virous or not is immaterial as non-jabbers would be more likely carriers/transmitters of the virus thus presenting a possible hazard to those they come into contact.

The case in point is the degree of potential risk to others.
By:
Cider
When: 16 Sep 21 20:23
The case in point is you have no clue about the nature of this virus.
By:
Cider
When: 16 Sep 21 20:25
Plus if you fear covid that much, if you see people as a hazard, the safest thing for you to do is not be in a close environment of anyone.
By:
impossible123
When: 16 Sep 21 20:30
The virus is invisible, and not be in a close environment with anyone is near impossible. But, I'll certainly manage the risks eg keep my distance to known non-jabbers. It's that simple!
By:
Dr Crippen
When: 16 Sep 21 20:30
I'd readily and willingly be in a close environment with fellow jabbers than non-jabbers.

A lot of people mistakenly take that view.

But if you've been jabbed yourself then what's the problem?

You don't seem very confident that it's going to protect you.
By:
Cider
When: 16 Sep 21 20:33
The virus is invisible, and not be in a close environment with anyone is near impossible. But, I'll certainly manage the risks eg keep my distance to known non-jabbers. It's that simple!

Assuming you've been vaxed, why should it concern you in the slightest. You're going to come into contact with someone who has it, just like a cold. You probably already have. Whether they have been vaccinated or not.
By:
wolf3011
When: 16 Sep 21 20:39
"  Whether the non-jabbers have had the virous or not is immaterial as non-jabbers would be more likely carriers/transmitters of the virus"

The above quote shows what a great job MSM have done in terrifying people that aren't very bright like the above poster but then I remember this thread last year

https://community.betfair.com/chit_chat/go/thread/view/94038/31637927/when-you-get-your-groceries-home#flvWelcomeHeader

impossible123 • March 28, 2020 5:59 PM GMT
I must have washed my hands a good 20x plus a day, and I'm hibernating. I only shop once a week.
The advice is wash your hands after touching any surface and after prepping food, I guess.

These are the sorts of people out there in charge of deciding whether their kids should be vaccinated and given the vote in elections- fairly frightening when you think about it
By:
Cider
When: 16 Sep 21 20:41
To be fair imp, I can understand why many many people are so irrational about covid (and the vaccination). This was deliberately instigated by the social manipulators advising the government.
By:
shiny new shoes please
When: 16 Sep 21 20:41
I've got plenty of ZORBS for people terrified ..  25% off Grin
Open your eyes - and look within
Are you satisfied - with the life you´re living?ExcitedHappy
By:
rothko
When: 16 Sep 21 20:45
these were the workers that boris was happy to send to the front line with inadequate PPE whilst the politicians were cowering in their homes on zoom calls all day

theres not that may un vaxed left anyway in the care community
mountain out of a mole hill [ what a bunch of d5kg=heads Cry
By:
Cider
When: 16 Sep 21 20:49
care homes are private businesses. obviously the state had to step in but it was hardly politicians' responsibility, that is what thousands of people in whitehall are employed to do. the whole world was demanding ppe at the same time. This enforced jabbing is an outrage though.
By:
Dr Crippen
When: 16 Sep 21 20:57
The way we beat a virus, is to keep getting reinfected, with few symptoms if any after the first exposure.
It doesn't go away on its own.

The unvaccinated are doing the rest of the community a service by catching it and then proving a barrier to its spread.

Will the vaccine work like that - who knows?

We'll be living in fear of it forever if it doesn't.
By:
shiny new shoes please
When: 16 Sep 21 21:00
Bob explains covid vaccines .. So you think you've found the solution but in fact it's just a illusion
- So much trouble in the world
By:
Johnny The Guesser
When: 16 Sep 21 21:01
That's all well and good unless the first time you catch it , it kills you.

Take the vaccine first, then when you catch it you are protected.
By:
Cider
When: 16 Sep 21 21:02
If most people are like me, you know you'll get flu/a cold once a year, every winter without fail. Covid is the same. I realise MSM and the rest get awfully upset when you correlate covid with flu, but essentially they are the same. Covid manifests slightly differently, is worse for older people, and less severe for younger people.
By:
Cider
When: 16 Sep 21 21:04
There are multiple things that can kill us, JTG. It's only covid that many people are irrational about.
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com