Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
unitedbiscuits
09 Sep 21 15:32
| Topic/replies: 15,634 | Blogger: unitedbiscuits's blog
For the first time since the 1960s.

Turns out they don't need us more than we need them.
Pause Switch to Standard View UK no longer among Germany's top ten...
Show More
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 9, 2021 4:58 PM BST
EU trade with UK (bn €)

Exports 277.5   
Imports 167.2   
EU Surplus 110.3

We hold all the cards....
Report Giuseppe September 9, 2021 5:33 PM BST
what does the UK export to Germany?

whisky, welsh lamb, beef, fish?

what would be the other big exports? financial services?

does Germany buy gear from BAE Systems?
Report Foinavon September 9, 2021 6:07 PM BST
BMW has an engine factory at Hams Hall near Birmingham. There are probably other supply chain bits and pieces going back and forth.
Report edy September 9, 2021 6:16 PM BST
Why has the UK replaced Germany with other trading partners? You guys promised no bad feelings and vengeance. Sad
Report Foinavon September 9, 2021 6:35 PM BST
The EU is supposed to foster good relations with its neighbours, edy, it's in the constitution or so I heard. Why are you so beastly, especially that Monsieur Macron? He still wants to trawl all our fish and steal away our financial services.
Report Foinavon September 9, 2021 6:37 PM BST
I still buy German sauerkraut occasionally as there is no other viable source. It's against all my personal rules too.
Report Charlie September 9, 2021 6:50 PM BST

Sep 9, 2021 -- 12:37PM, Foinavon wrote:

I still buy German sauerkraut occasionally as there is no other viable source. It's against all my personal rules too.

There's plenty of Polish shops around with a better variety (e.g. with mushrooms), the quality is equally as good and generally cheaper.

Report SirNorbertClarke September 9, 2021 7:07 PM BST
As a nation of chav wannabes we still lease far too many German cars.
Report Foinavon September 9, 2021 7:28 PM BST
Thanks Charlie, I will have to look around. There are none here but I think there is a Polish shop in Acocks Green which isn't very far away.
Report edy September 9, 2021 7:45 PM BST
Could also try a korean or japanese shop if your interest of fermented veggies extends past cabbage. Please nonetheless keep buying German from time to time. Being an empire takes money.
Report Charlie September 9, 2021 7:59 PM BST

Sep 9, 2021 -- 1:45PM, edy wrote:

Could also try a korean or japanese shop if your interest of fermented veggies extends past cabbage. Please nonetheless keep buying German from time to time. Being an empire takes money.

Unfortunately there aren't any Korean or Japanese shops where I live, or German for that matter. I do buy German sausage from Lidl which goes nicely with Polish sauerkraut. I would buy German brown bread(s) if I could as that is very nice.

Report Foinavon September 9, 2021 8:16 PM BST
Pumpernickel. I will leave edy to translate that for you. Devil
Report Charlie September 9, 2021 8:37 PM BST
Didn't really mean Pumpernickel, there are many regional brown breads as I'm sure Edy will inform us of.
Report edy September 9, 2021 8:37 PM BST
It's not a name derived from words that are currently in use. It's just a bread called that way. Judging from wikipedia, nobody is quite sure why it's called Pumpernickel either. Theories go from it being named after a farting gremlin to being a word for devil. The science isn't settled.

Not sure how often Germans actually eat Pumpernickel. It's generally more of an emergency bread I think that people might buy in cans and forget about until the apocalypse starts and bakeries are closed. That's why I initially thought Charlie was more talking about other kinds of rye (or mixed rye) bread. More like so

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roggenbrot#/media/Datei:Selbstgebackenes_rundes_Roggenbrot_in_der_typischen_Farbe.png

than Pumpernickel. Which kind did you mean, Charlie?
Report edy September 9, 2021 8:39 PM BST
Ah ok, Charlie. Yeah, Germany is breads and Brötchen (bagels, but without a hole) galore.
Report Giuseppe September 9, 2021 10:21 PM BST
i always imagine you as a farting gremlin edy
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com