Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
08 Sep 21 19:25
| Topic/replies: 26,272 | Blogger: ----you-have-to-laugh---'s blog
The government is expected to announce a shake-up of the HGV driver testing process as soon as Thursday.

It wants to fast track drivers into the haulage industry amid chronic shortages which have caused supply problems.

The BBC understands that during meetings between government officials, hauliers and suppliers, the "penny finally dropped" that the driver shortage was getting worse not better.

The government said meetings with affected groups were ongoing.

It added any change in policy would be announced in due course

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 50
By:
nineteen points
When: 08 Sep 21 19:33
What could possibly go wrong?
By:
macarony
When: 08 Sep 21 19:37
In other words now we are out of the EU the test I'd going back to normal 1 test car to HGV
By:
nineteen points
When: 08 Sep 21 19:42
They are going to let 12 to 15 year olds drive them if they feel they can.
By:
macarony
When: 08 Sep 21 19:44
They already do in Ireland
By:
1st time poster
When: 08 Sep 21 20:06
Yeh saw the 1st successful candidate on tv last night wiped out 2 gatehouses and a multiple pile up ,trying to do a right turn
By:
nineteen points
When: 08 Sep 21 20:26
Where do they stand on U turns?
By:
thegiggilo
When: 08 Sep 21 20:32
The tories are just doing all sorts of random sh1t basicaly because they have fcuked everything,the same with NI  everyone knows its a pile of sh1t bar the ones looking forwards to their inheritance,it's absolutely nuts..They are totally out of control on everything and we have an electorate that are either deliberately letting them or to subervient and braiwashed..
By:
saddo
When: 08 Sep 21 20:38
Certainly brainwashed with the covid propaganda. Even the most rabid Tory haters have believed them over that, and supported the ridiculous curbs on our lives.
By:
----you-have-to-laugh---
When: 08 Sep 21 20:44
I saw that 1tp, plenty more
if the tory taxes lower standards
on the roads.
By:
nineteen points
When: 08 Sep 21 21:05
Strange how folk pick up on every slip up,lie,con etc the tories trot out,yet when it comes to covid they hang on their every word.
By:
1st time poster
When: 09 Sep 21 05:29
thats maybe because millions have seen results of covid at 1st hand and dont need gov or anyone else to explain it to them
By:
nineteen points
When: 09 Sep 21 08:09
i havent.just seen what i have been fed on the govts msm channels.i,and everybody i know must of been lucky then.
By:
Facts
When: 09 Sep 21 12:00
thegiggilo 08 Sep 21 19:32 
The tories are just doing all sorts of random sh1t basicaly because they have fcuked everything,the same with NI  everyone knows its a pile of sh1t bar the ones looking forwards to their inheritance,it's absolutely nuts..They are totally out of control on everything and we have an electorate that are either deliberately letting them or to subervient and braiwashed..

Totally agree. Johnson and his Cabinet are a total shambles.
This government is led by an abject liar and followed by sycophantic sheep.
By:
Corky
When: 10 Sep 21 16:21
" nineteen points

i havent.just seen what i have been fed on the govts msm channels.i,and everybody i know must of been lucky then."

You're right. If you didn't watch the news you wouldn't know there was a pandemic. A few relatives , friends with cold symptoms. It's hardly the plague with bodies being collected in carts every morning.
By:
impossible123
When: 10 Sep 21 16:56
It's only logical. What is the harm of expediating a HGV test if the test is stringent and applicant competent? There's a shortage of HGV drivers not only in the UK but elsewhere too. It's prudence and astute as long as the test is not watered-down.

Just remember to pay the examiners a bonus for the extra workload.
By:
SontaranStratagem
When: 10 Sep 21 19:06
This is another baffling contradiction to the agendas we're currently seeing though

Basically this is a uturn on fuel banning ? I'm starting to believe we're witnessing 2 opposition elites trying to wrestle control over the population and this is just a part of it

Because why would you try to ban fuel but then start whacking out 50,000 HGV per year? its baffling
By:
impossible123
When: 11 Sep 21 07:20
This (u-turn) is to correct the present shortage of HGV drivers. Should this phenomenon over correct itself quicker than is expected I'm sure natural wastage and redeployment would be envisaged soon after. A fuel ban on certain populated routes is not a bad thing in theory, practicality is another though; sufficient charging points located in public places, and monumental costs upgrading present bulk of vehicles are two significant obstacles for central and local government to tackle.
By:
Dr Crippen
When: 11 Sep 21 11:13
This is what happens when you lock the country down.

All the training and testing stopped as well.
By:
saddo
When: 11 Sep 21 11:17
It did, but if you fully supported all those restrictions you have to blame brexit instead
By:
PorcupineorPineapple
When: 11 Sep 21 12:23
Here's my take. Know you've been waiting.

Brexit does have a part to play in this. It's inevitable. This was an industry that was heavily reliant on foreign labour, and so any policy decisions that persuaded that labour to try its luck elsewhere is going to leave a hole. Empty shelves though are - imo - more a symptom of JIT failing rather than lack of drivers specifically. We've built an entire system based on efficiency. That's now at an end.

Covid also plays a part. It's accelerated the evacuations and slowed down the whole process/world.

Now we're desperately looking round at ways to catch up. Hence, allowing HGV drivers on the road who haven't learnt how to reverse a truck. Don't know if anyone's seen a yard but reversing is pretty vital.

Anyway, here's my thinking though. You don't fix this with money. It'll help but only a bit. The problem you've got is undoing the negative press.

We've spent the last 15 years demonising immigrants as spongers. Deriding the jobs they do as awful; they're poorly treated, they live in squalor and are only here because the money is better than what they can earn back in their hovel of a hometown.

That's been the consistent narrative. Trucking has been overtaken by cheap foreigners who are happy to put up with the sh!t because it's better than their other alternatives.

And now all of a sudden, we wonder why Brits aren't rushing out to replace them. You spend 15 years telling everyone that the job is sh!t then don't expect them to want to have a go themselves.

You can't just badmouth immigrants and say that the jobs they are doing are subhuman and not expect people to remember that.

That's where we're at now.
By:
flat16
When: 12 Sep 21 12:02
I hate the supermarket shop ,almost as much as the lefties on here who think Brexit is a right wing policy ,when clearly it isn't. So I shop at long intervals but buy a lot ,particularly dreading today........shortages and panic buying ,so rocked up this morning ,determined to be tolerant and buy sparingly. I know only my list and one supermarket but got every item and no empty shelves.
I am sure this will grieve the gloaters but you still have those corkers........roaming charges and milk shakes at maccy ds to continue the draining gloat with.
By:
politicspunter
When: 12 Sep 21 12:06
Plenty of empty spaces at my supermarket (tesco), too numerous to mention.
By:
lapsy pa
When: 12 Sep 21 14:14
The head of the food and drink federation thinks the shortages are liable to be permanent.
By:
politicspunter
When: 12 Sep 21 14:17
My supermarket are also using the "fill the gaps with clothes " approach. They have taken away the areas usually reserved for special offers, ie centres of aisles/plinths etc and shoved a rack or two of sales clothes in their places.
By:
flat16
When: 12 Sep 21 14:43
The head of the food and drink fed' would also certainly be a member of the CBI the ultra conservative remainer lobbyists ,who would probably say anything for a cheap pool of labour he can throw pennies at.
By:
macarony
When: 12 Sep 21 15:16
Brexit does have a part to play in this. It's inevitable. This was an industry that was heavily reliant on foreign labo

No the vast majority of drivers are Brits and secondly very few of the EU drivers went home most are still here despite the middle class style headlines
By:
PorcupineorPineapple
When: 12 Sep 21 16:18
And what about all the jobs done by foreign based drivers doing foreigners while here? That pretty much stopped overnight and was a decent sized portion of the daily haulage total.
By:
FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK
When: 12 Sep 21 16:27
Surly bus drivers be leaving there post
To grab HGV name your price job
By:
flat16
When: 12 Sep 21 17:20
Indeed they will ,as will white van man as the pay differential between van and HGV had been eroded over time ,also forward thinking employers will invest in putting personnel through training once more ,it is a Brexit win tempered by the short term inconvenience.
Still a bit of scaremongering and induce a bit of panic buying works for some.
By:
lapsy pa
When: 12 Sep 21 17:24
But the government are admitting there are problems Flat
By:
flat16
When: 12 Sep 21 17:37
There are problems caused by years of neglect ,in many similar trades.
Wages were suppressed by the available cheap labour pool ,the realignment will be sorted in time ,simply by "market forces".......higher pay ,there are things the government are doing to speed it up also.
This realignment is happening rapidly in construction were pay rates were flat for 30+ years.
Many of the arguments on here  ,as well as elsewhere ,are against "higher wages" and "cheap food" such devils' work.
When I was an employer I could take on a highly motivated ,bilingual ,motivated graduate for muchv less than a local ,snotty ,spotty  ,uneducated scrot .This is a great position for an employer but dreadful long term for youth unemployment ,long term employment etc etc ,ask Espana.
By:
impossible123
When: 12 Sep 21 18:24
Maybe some bus drivers, black cab drivers and driving instructors could retrain to be HGV drivers. They already possess a higher level of highway code knowledge and driving standard which is a plus to becoming a HGV drivers.

Just stop blaming Brexit for every misfortune the country encounters since. Can one not see they are not UK specific? The 6m+ EU nationals deciding to remain in the UK is clear testament why the UK is still the country of choice. The only shame is the knockers of the UK are not neutralising is influx of EU nationals.
By:
PorcupineorPineapple
When: 12 Sep 21 18:28
Got nothing against higher wages. Problem is the simple reality of where the money comes from.

(Got to wonder at what truckers think they're worth though. I don't know a single one who's on less than £40k. Is £50k enough?)

But yeah, where does the money come from. Hauliers already work to very tight margins. So do - as one example - food producers supplying big supermarkets. And those big supermarkets remain uber-capitalists and aren't just going to shrug their shoulders and take a hit on their bottom line.

The only place this comes from ultimately is in price increases to customers.
By:
1st time poster
When: 12 Sep 21 18:36
lots of both uk and eu drivers were on IR 35 a way of making poorly paid jobs go a little further the ending of that in uk has hit jobs like hgv driving,even if they allowed some eu drivers in not many would be interested without ir 35 unless rate had gone up 20% plus
By:
macarony
When: 12 Sep 21 18:41
And what about all the jobs done by foreign based drivers doing foreigners while here? That pretty much stopped overnight and was a decent sized portion of the daily haulage total

What are you talking about the vast majority are still here don't let your anti Brexit views get in the way of the facts. Also nobody from the EU had to leave Britain because of Brexit the 5 million plus that are still here proves that
By:
macarony
When: 12 Sep 21 18:47
The problem we have here in the West is an age old problem that says I am better educated than you or I have more money, this automatically means people like you have to work for little or no reward, even though without you society would cease to exist.
By:
flat16
When: 12 Sep 21 18:54
Of course there will be price rises and inflation but we went through a period where wages were static ,which means they actually dropped ,taking into account inflation. Many skilled and semi skilled trades were simply outsourced to cheaper foreign labour ,who were denied benefits like minimum wage ,holiday pay ,sickness pay ,while at the same time youth unemployment went up ,long term unemployment was rampant.
This spiralling effect were firms are going further afield to find more efficient cheaper work forces has dreadful economic consequences for the local work force. I have seen cleaning firms and construction firms change an entire workforce overnight as they had obtained cheaper rates for the new nationality.
The Polish were the first ,the new "Irish" bright ,strong ,hard working but they became expensive (comparatively) and soon others were sourced ,more loop holes found..........sub contractors ,accommodation supplied, block cscs cards ,take the safety courses in native language ,etc etc soon many sites did not have a UK worker.
By:
macarony
When: 12 Sep 21 19:20
The only place this comes from ultimately is in price increases to customers.

Morrisons the 4th largest grocer in the UK they 495 stores. I am going to give a very conservative estimate on the additional revenue a 1p increase on every Item Morrisons sells. Lets say that each store puts a single item per second through their tills, 495 divided by 100 = £4.95, £4.95 x 60 seconds = £297, £297 x by 60 mins = £17,820, Now let us say the stores are only open for 8 hours this = £142,560 per day.
Up until about a month ago Morrisons paid their drivers less than £14 per hour it is now £24 ph and £35 on a Sunday so Monday to Friday each driver has received an extra £100 per day. Morrisons stand to make a huge increase in profits
By:
impossible123
When: 12 Sep 21 19:27
The Filipinos were the domestic helpers for a long while - now in nursing). Their place was soon taken by the Poles - now in retail/hospitality) - replaced by the Bulgarians. Soon, possibly they'd be replaced by the new arrivals from war-torn countries eg Afghanistanis, Iraqis and Syrians.

The Africans have the monopoly of commercial and office hygiene.
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com