Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
08 Sep 21 13:49
| Topic/replies: 9,098 | Blogger: ----you-have-to-laugh---'s blog
Following gb rises of 12% by
Eon, ovo, brit gas and scot power
Firmus in northern ireland
are raising prices by over 30%

Sad

Scarey stuff
Pause Switch to Standard View Gas price rises.
Show More
Report 1st time poster September 21, 2021 1:07 PM BST
ON THE bright side we havnt sold any other national assets off to foreign companies SadCrySadCrySadCry
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 21, 2021 1:13 PM BST
What about them French and chinese
nucleur power stations?

Why can't we fire them up
Report 1st time poster September 21, 2021 1:20 PM BST
3 of the chinese hinkely point nuke powers stations
one in luxembourg yet to be used
one on china apparently up and running
and hinkley point,
only china no how to get it started and wont start the luxembourg one up

please mr/mrs uk PM,REMOVE THEM nuclear subs from pacific waters and we might switch your nuke station on for you,we,ll let you think about it LaughLaughLaugh
Report 1st time poster September 21, 2021 1:23 PM BST
got one of those biomass plants stones throw from me, supposed to be finished 18 months ago,think it was finished 6 months ago ,yet to be fired up
near the end of construction they let it be known the wood/fuel to fire it up had to be shipped half way round the world from north america,since then not a word
can see it been houchens next demolition target LaughLaugh
Report 1st time poster September 21, 2021 2:06 PM BST
AMERICAM BILLIONAIRE BAILED OUT BY UK TAXPAYER AGREES TO START UP PRODUCTION AGAIN
no word on how much taxpayer money involved
Report 1st time poster September 21, 2021 2:42 PM BST
energy supplier GREEN, gone 250,000 customers
Report moisok September 21, 2021 4:02 PM BST
I am nearly surrounded by massive trees
Report 1st time poster September 21, 2021 4:24 PM BST
regards co2
not bad work when your american billionaire,s main product fertiliser is not worth producing at current gas prices but the government give you a taxpayer funded bung because they want a by product of your main product which is currently unviable, LaughLaugh,
a DRAGONS DEN wet dream Laugh
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 21, 2021 4:52 PM BST
I'll give you all of the money
for 0% of your business.

Indeed...
Report 1st time poster September 21, 2021 5:19 PM BST
if gas prices remain high government making a rod for their own back because uk steel will be banging on treasury doors within a few weeks for a bail out
Report macarony September 21, 2021 8:22 PM BST
Up until the early 2000a we were still exporting cheap natural gas to mainland Europe even though we knew that soon we would be running low, now we are buying natural gas from Norway and Russia for a lot more than we sold it for. Now that is Britain in a nutshell
Report macarony September 21, 2021 8:22 PM BST
Up until the early 2000a we were still exporting cheap natural gas to mainland Europe even though we knew that soon we would be running low, now we are buying natural gas from Norway and Russia for a lot more than we sold it for. Now that is Britain in a nutshell
Report macarony September 21, 2021 8:26 PM BST
Gas and electricity are easy to produce, anybody and his cat could make Britain self sufficient if the will was there.
Report Giuseppe September 21, 2021 8:32 PM BST
one issue i keep hearing in all these reports is that the UK has very little storage capacity
Report Giuseppe September 21, 2021 8:33 PM BST
there must be costs involved in producing gas and methane that you are undersetimating
Report macarony September 21, 2021 8:35 PM BST
Sold off along with tons of food that was in storage, Tony said we don't need them anymore we are everybody's friend and London is the center  of the earth
Report macarony September 21, 2021 8:36 PM BST
there must be costs involved in producing gas and methane that you are undersetimating

No not really how much do you think its costing now to import gas and light crude now?
Report Giuseppe September 21, 2021 8:39 PM BST
so why is nobody doing it? here or anywhere else?

the Germans tried to make petrol from coal during the war and it wasn't easy
Report Giuseppe September 21, 2021 8:40 PM BST
"Sold off along with tons of food that was in storage, Tony said we don't need them anymore we are everybody's friend and London is the center  of the earth "

this is why the EU has a CAP even if it is inefficnet and uneconomic: food security
Report macarony September 21, 2021 8:41 PM BST
actually people are doing it here just not on a big enough scale but I suspect that is about to change.
Report Giuseppe September 21, 2021 8:42 PM BST
chlorinated chicken, brazilain beef and NZ lamb brought from teh other side of the world to save a few pennies is madness
Report 1st time poster September 21, 2021 8:42 PM BST
got to love johnson,drivers demanding 50 grand to stop supermarkets shelves going empty,hospitals not getting drugs,was his plan all along,lets hope he still claims credit it for it when we get 8% plus inflation, i,m sure the voters will be thanking him for it
Report macarony September 21, 2021 8:44 PM BST
this is why the EU has a CAP even if it is inefficnet and uneconomic: food securit
We were in the EU when it happened Tony was good at ignoring the parts of the EU he didn't like, however that only played into his political enemies hands and Brexit happened
Report Giuseppe September 21, 2021 8:44 PM BST
some gaps in my local tesco at the moment, especially ham for some reason
Report macarony September 21, 2021 8:46 PM BST
got to love johnson,drivers demanding 50 grand
are drivers not worth 50 grand a year considering the service to society we provide?
Report Giuseppe September 21, 2021 8:46 PM BST
my point was, as long as you were in the CAP and the single market you didn't really need the storage

now with increased red tape and possibly opening up British farmers to unfair competition, the supply of food may become more tenuous
Report 1st time poster September 21, 2021 8:47 PM BST
new one on me tonight on my facebook,nightshift workers require in whitby dressing crabs, in food processing plant
£8.50 an hr,training given,
if like me you count nightshift as time and a 3rd minimum,that makes it about £6 an kr,obviously havnt got the johnson memo of his plan for higher wages
Report Giuseppe September 21, 2021 8:47 PM BST
in CAP Britush farmers were secure and there was plenty of food in the single market

now British farmers may face more comepition and supply routes from NZ etc are less secure
Report macarony September 21, 2021 8:51 PM BST
If you go back to before we entered the common market the opposite was true and food was a lot cheaper, from what I am told the best subs for farmers today are the enviromental ones, one farmer I know is getting 175 Gs a year not use fertilizer and not to mow his fields before June
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 21, 2021 8:55 PM BST
Too fiddly putting the gloves on em...
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 22, 2021 7:17 PM BST
Avro Energy and Green have collapsed, becoming the latest firms to be brought down by the sharp rise in gas prices.

Combined with other recent failures, it means 1.5 million people are now facing a switch to a new, more expensive firm.
Report macarony September 22, 2021 7:21 PM BST
Just like the Royal mail should never been flogged off in the  first place
Report nineteen points September 22, 2021 7:27 PM BST
Some seem to be seeing the big picture,some still clueless.

Big money men put the bufoon in,he wrecks the country,all business goes to the wall,big lads hoover up at rock bottom prices,wages,conditions etc, as the NHS is chiselled bit by bit to the yanks.
Report macarony September 22, 2021 7:43 PM BST
These services were sold off long before Johnson the big changes that impacted the post office came in under labour
Report edy September 22, 2021 7:52 PM BST

Sep 21, 2021 -- 2:32PM, Giuseppe wrote:

one issue i keep hearing in all these reports is that the UK has very little storage capacity

That's what I just read too. Apparently Germany is saving/storing 20% of its yearly needed gas for the tough times, the UK a fourth of that. Apparently gave up a storage facility in 2017 and in 2018 decided against building up new storage capacity. Relying on well-working supply from abroad instead.

Probably would have worked out just fine without Brexit and covid happening at about the same time. Unlucky.

Report Cider September 22, 2021 7:58 PM BST
In Germany, Europe’s largest economy, Verivox 32, a price comparison website, said regional gas providers had announced price increases of 12.6 per cent on average for September and October. That would lead to additional costs for heating a one-family house of €188 a year.

hmmm
Report Giuseppe September 22, 2021 7:58 PM BST
is brexit a factor in this or not?

i keep hearing conflicting reports
Report Cider September 22, 2021 7:59 PM BST
Surging gas and electricity costs are forcing European governments to discuss billions of euros in aid for households and stricken suppliers, as concern mounts over a deepening winter energy crisis.

EU energy ministers will meet this week to discuss national responses to a surge in wholesale gas prices, amid concern that they will jeopardise Europe’s post-pandemic economic recovery and undermine Brussels’ plans for ambitious but costly green reforms.

Italy is expected this week to unveil a multibillion-euro support package for households. A source at the Italian finance ministry with direct knowledge said “a plausible amount to tackle the issue [of soaring energy costs] could reach up to €4.5bn”.
Report Cider September 22, 2021 8:00 PM BST
hmmm
Report Giuseppe September 22, 2021 8:02 PM BST
yes it is a problem in Europe too, but isn't it worse in the UK?
Report edy September 22, 2021 8:07 PM BST

Sep 22, 2021 -- 1:58PM, Giuseppe wrote:

is brexit a factor in this or not?i keep hearing conflicting reports

Well, there's the big energy market that buffers it a lot on the continent. Prices are rising on the continent, but what the UK has seen has been in a league of its own.

Report edy September 22, 2021 8:09 PM BST
Unfortunate circumstances coming together. Choosing a version of Brexit that meant leaving the big energy market was one of them. A decision that maybe will turn out to be wise long-term, but here it was detrimental.
Report Cider September 22, 2021 8:10 PM BST
'worse' covers a few things. the low ball suppliers going bust is nothing new. Consumers are protected. It's not a big deal. I was with a supplier that went bust once, it's no different to switching and the customers of these gambling type suppliers will be used to switching.

obviously you're in the hands of god in regard to how much domestic demand for gas there will be. it's particularly mild at the moment, so hardly anyone will be using gas. most people overpay during summer so will be in credit with their supplier. who knows, maybe people will go back to the office to save money from needing to heat their homes Grin
Report Just Checking September 22, 2021 8:16 PM BST
So the remoaners are STILL on with the complete fiction that the energy price rise in the UK is due to Brexit, and crap about leaving an EU energy market, when no actual commentator is saying this. They are so delusional. STOP LYING.
Report edy September 22, 2021 8:17 PM BST

Sep 22, 2021 -- 2:16PM, Just Checking wrote:

So the remoaners are STILL on with the complete fiction that the energy price rise in the UK is due to Brexit, and crap about leaving an EU energy market, when no actual commentator is saying this. They are so delusional. STOP LYING.

https://www.zeit.de/wirtschaft/2021-09/gaspreis-grossbritannien-energiekrise-kohlendioxid-brexit

Report edy September 22, 2021 8:18 PM BST
Please refrain from lying about no actual commentator saying that Brexit is playing a role, Just Checking.
Report Cider September 22, 2021 8:19 PM BST
edy reaching for the witchcraft now
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 22, 2021 8:19 PM BST
Having a Russian roulette system
in place didn't help.

Not like they might have learnt
from banks buying cheap money to
lend to customers

Now its chancers buying cheap energy.

Banks went pop when cheap
money dried up

Energy companies going pop
when cheap gas dried up.

Cheap gas drying up in part
due to brexit
Report edy September 22, 2021 8:23 PM BST
Not sure why you are so hell-bent on lying to yourselves and others that Brexit didn't play a role. It's ok, you will be forgiven. It was also just an unfortunate turn of events that made that energy market decision come together with covid.

Brexit without covid = no problem
covid without Brexit = problem, but not as big
covid and brexit/leaving energy market = big problem.

Happens...couldn't have been foreseen.
Report Cider September 22, 2021 8:24 PM BST
we can agree that the regulation is awful. the business model for the low ballers is essentially a ponzi. they get customers to load up their accounts in advance, and use that to pay for fuel supplied to current customers. it's similar to banking in that way as your deposits/cash on account is not ring fenced. you're personally covered, won't lose but someone does. if there isn't enough cash on accounts to pay for current customers, pop.
Report Cider September 22, 2021 8:27 PM BST
I was with Ovo at one time and they were paying 3% interest on cash on account, higher than any bank account. Of course that encouraged people to overpay if they could. I have no idea how they afforded that model.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 22, 2021 8:30 PM BST
It could be forseen, to some extent

Which is why many in uk refused
to sign up with small companies
in fear of hitting a big cost
rise if supplier went bust at
same time as a shortage that
forced up price.

Some comparison sites had search
function without little companies
to save time.

If you signed up for green in
summer you turned down a british
gas deal far better than the
one you will now get, or from
whichever company you end up with.

Government say energy cap is 12%
But that will not apply to these
folk, their rise is likely
well over 12%.

Most will be folk that took the
time to find themselves a good
deal.
Report Just Checking September 22, 2021 8:30 PM BST
LOL Edy. So lets assume this mystical energy market crap would have saved the UK from price rises. A very major connector from England to France is broken until March due to a fire. 2GW capacity shut apparently, prices shot up.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/britains-national-grid-says-fire-ifa1-interconnector-site-2021-09-15/

Was that price rise due to the connector fire or the EU market gouging UK? Please explain to us.

How will you bend the laws of physics to have gotten this "cheap" energy to the UK? Do remoaners now have power over the laws of physics when it comes to their Brexit tantrums?

According to the National Grid, in 2019 the sum total of energy from all interconnectors was a mere 8% of UK energy requirements.

All the commentators I see list over and over:
Huge widespread rise in gas prices with the UK relying on Gas, with fingers pointed at world markets and Putin playing games.
Oil rigs down for maintenance.
Interconnector down.
Less wind blowing than expected.
Lack of long term storage making fluctuations more brutal.

Brexit? Bullsh1t.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 22, 2021 8:31 PM BST
Or what looked like a good deal
at the time.
Report edy September 22, 2021 8:37 PM BST
Just Checking, would you please apologise for your lie that no actual commentator is saying Brexit is playing a role?
Report 1st time poster September 22, 2021 8:38 PM BST
its brexit related in as far as johnson/tory brexiteers promised people cheaper food bills,nore choice and cheaper utility bills and their on the record facts, vat cuts on food,clothes ,utility bills etc etc
Report macarony September 22, 2021 8:42 PM BST
The problem as I see was becoming partially reliant on imported gas when we always had the capability to be self sufficient and still do.
Report edy September 22, 2021 8:46 PM BST
Furthermore, Just Checking, please refrain from putting up straw men by making it sound like I was arguing staying in the EU/common energy market would have saved the UK from price rises altogether.
Report Just Checking September 22, 2021 8:46 PM BST
So I'm supposed to take someone writing for a German media outlet to tell a willing German audience that Brexit is bad and Britain is is stupid as "serious commentary"? Get over yourself.
Report edy September 22, 2021 8:48 PM BST
I am sorry if one of the most respected German paper does not suffice. I should have known your critera for "actual commentator" is someone who only tells you the things you want to hear.
Report edy September 22, 2021 8:49 PM BST
Please also refrain from lying about the German media outlet telling a willing German audience that Brexit is bad and Britain is stupid. That is not what the article and its author seek to do.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 22, 2021 8:51 PM BST
As Mark Haller writes for West England Bylines, the UK has elected to remain outside the EU Internal Energy Market, even though a considerable amount of the country’s energy needs are met by Europe. As a result, the UK has lost significant control over prices, losing the ability to participate in the energy auctions that determine the cost of fuel.

There are undoubtedly a range of global factors, beyond Brexit that have contributed to the rising prices, namely: high demand for liquefied natural gas from Asia, low winds causing less renewable energy to be generated, outages at some nuclear power stations, and Russia’s decision to restrict energy exports.

However, these factors do not change the basic fact that Brexit has accentuated the problem.

https://bylinetimes.com/2021/09/20/the-brexit-tax-how-boris-johnson-broke-his-promise-on-energy-prices/

Report macarony September 22, 2021 9:05 PM BST
Norway and Russia are not in the EU. I hope that this comes as wake up call and we start getting serious about investing in British gas production. Every penny spent on imported gas is a penny lost to our economy and when you look at how much we spend on imported gas and oil thats a lot of dead money
Report Giuseppe September 22, 2021 10:01 PM BST
Norway is a member of the EU in all but name, might even be a part of the internal gas market
Report casemoney September 23, 2021 12:47 AM BST
Gas prices are rising all across Europe, but Britain has also been affected by lower winds than usual - denting renewable energy supplies - as well as a recent fire at a National Grid site in Kent.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 29, 2021 5:36 PM BST
Three more energy suppliers have gone bust amid the surge in wholesale gas prices, the regulator Ofgem has said.

Enstroga, Igloo Energy and Symbio Energy said they would stop trading on Wednesday.

The trio are the latest companies to go under as soaring gas prices have made price promises by suppliers to customers undeliverable.

Together, the suppliers represent less than 1% of the UK market with a total of about 233,000 customers, Ofgem said.

Enstroga supplies gas and electricity to about 6,000 domestic customers, while Igloo has about 179,000. Symbio Energy has roughly 48,000 in the UK and a small number overseas
Report 1st time poster September 29, 2021 5:38 PM BST
IGLOO wellnamed without the taxpayer  you,d be going fooooking cold
Report lapsy pa September 29, 2021 5:42 PM BST
Ireland warning against power cuts this winter citing what i thought was dubious at the time lack of wind amongst other factors. Very conceivable i would think in the UK also and have a few candles and a torch just in case you haven't.
Report dustybin September 29, 2021 5:45 PM BST
Im an Igloo customer. Received the email this afternoon
Basically blames the cap that favours the big suppliers.
They had already put prices up twice within the last 6 months

Russia have been having issues supplying gas also, some believe it was tactical to make nord2 have more political pressure.
Report Whisperingdeath September 29, 2021 6:10 PM BST
I used to be a part owner of British Gas and the lord saw that it was good. Then it got privatised.

Starmer hasn't even said he would take the railways back into Public Ownership. Zero chance of him doing the right thing with Public Utilities which should be run for the good of the people of our country not Banksters, wide boys and the Eton Rifles.
Report 1st time poster September 29, 2021 6:29 PM BST
90 different companies
if for example we said british gas was no 1 most expensive
1, british gas
2, eon we,ll beat price
all the way down to number 90 saying they,ll beat the prices of no 89,

common sense  must say thast either thats impossible or unsustainable
Report dustybin September 29, 2021 6:43 PM BST
The vast majority of the ‘challenger’ companies have nothing to offer other than being a middleman.
If they don’t generate energy and are told there’s a limit to the sale price then of course they will go belly up.
Report macarony September 29, 2021 9:48 PM BST
Buying gas from abroad is dead money. It takes less than 1.5 volts to split the oxygen from hydrogen in water, a decent sized wind turbine could make millions of liters of gas over its lifetime. An even better option is to kill two birds with one stone pay farmers to capture the second most abundant greenhouse gas in the atmosphere methane this would be another revenue sorce on the farm directly improving the profitability of the farm so an indirect subsidy to the food produced
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 30, 2021 5:59 PM BST
Energy prices have been soaring. The price of natural gas has risen more than five-fold since March. In less than two days trading this week, it rose more than 20%.

The international benchmark price of oil, Brent crude from the North Sea, passed $80 per barrel on Tuesday, more than twice the level last autumn.

For those looking to the Glasgow climate summit in November to mark the end of old king coal, the price of benchmark Australian coal is also up to record levels.

Oil and gas prices fell back later on Tuesday, as news came from China indicating a marked slowdown in economic growth.

Stock markets in Europe and tech stocks in the US took a tumble, anticipating a knock-on effect on growth and profits globally. Sterling also fell, adding to the upward pressure on forecourt prices for a commodity traded in US dollars.

China's problems have a lot to do with severe power cuts shutting down electricity supplies across vast cities and numerous factories in the country's industrial heartland. The response, in some provinces at least, is a demand for more coal imports.

Bbc
Report Whisperingdeath September 30, 2021 7:50 PM BST
There are a lot of fat people in this country. I am sure the fat reserves will overcome the gas prices rises.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 30, 2021 7:52 PM BST
Rather like airport workers coming
off furlough being unable to
fill HGV jobs, it's unlikely
that the fattest folk are hardest
hit by gas price rises.
Report Whisperingdeath September 30, 2021 7:54 PM BST
You'd think that. So would I. Also hard to imagine that people on benefits get uber eats and deliveroo more than 3 times a week.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 30, 2021 8:02 PM BST
£500,000,000 to replace the
£6,000,000,000 benefit uplift.

Uber eats and deliveroo shares
might be in bother if its been
benefit driven.
Report Cider September 30, 2021 8:05 PM BST
The take away apps are all loss making anyway.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- October 12, 2021 7:14 PM BST
• Spain have just announced energy bills will fall by 22%

• France announce £100 energy vouchers & a cut from 12% to 4% in electricity rise

• Italy announce €3.5bn plan to protect poorer from energy rise

• Greece announce €108 pa vouchers

UK takes £1000 a year from poorest
and raises taxes to susidise
business gas use...
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- October 14, 2021 3:13 PM BST
Pure Planet and Colorado Energy are the latest casualties of a global spike in gas prices.

Pure Planet supplies gas and electricity to around 235,000 domestic customers, while Colorado Energy has around 15,000 domestic customers.

Energy regulator Ofgem will now find a new supplier for those customers, who are asked to do nothing until the transfer takes place in the coming weeks.

The demise of Pure Planet and Colorado Energy takes the number of customers affected by the current wave of energy company collapses across the UK to around two million.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- October 14, 2021 3:16 PM BST
BBC Newsnight reported on Wednesday evening that gas shipping firm CNG has written to its energy supplier customers saying that it will no longer supply the wholesale market.

CNG supplies roughly 46,000 small businesses, including 10-15 small domestic energy suppliers, through their wholesale business.

Newsnight economics editor Ben Chu tweeted that CNG had recently had to supply gas to households without being paid by suppliers that have failed, including Utility Point and Avro Energy.

This has caused a significant amount of financial damage to CNG, Mr Chu said.

CNG leaving the market will put further pressure on small UK energy firms and could speed up their collapse, he added.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- October 14, 2021 4:52 PM BST
Another UK energy supplier has ceased trading, regulator Ofgem announced on Thursday, making it the third provider to collapse this week.

Daligas supplies gas to 9,000 domestic and non-domestic customers. Ofgem said it would find a new supplier.

On Wednesday, Pure Planet and Colorado Energy folded, following a sharp rise in wholesale gas prices this year.

It comes as big supplier EDF said it was not ready to take on new customers from more failed firms.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- October 18, 2021 7:05 PM BST
Goto Energy has become the latest UK energy firm to cease trading amid a sharp rise in wholesale gas prices.

The firm supplied gas and electricity to around 22,000 domestic customers who will now be moved to a new supplier.

It joins a number of small firms that have gone bust following a global spike in gas prices.

Capipalism in action.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- October 29, 2021 1:03 PM BST
Two electricity suppliers in Northern Ireland have announced plans for further price hikes.

Northern Ireland's third largest electricity supplier Budget Energy is putting prices up 29% from 26 November

The company has 96,000 customers across Northern Ireland and said the move reflected rising global wholesale prices.

Meanwhile, SSE Airtricity announced a 9% increase to its residential electricity prices from 1 December.

The company had already announced a price rise of 21.8% from October.

Budget Energy had also announced a price rise of 14.9% from July and 18% increase from 8 October.

Meanwhile, on mainland, Bulb
is strugglin.

1.7 million customers,...
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 2, 2021 4:11 PM GMT
Blue green gone

Omni, Ma, zebra, ampower.... Going
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 3, 2021 4:32 PM GMT
A gas price hike announcement is expected next week, a Stormont committee has been told.

Two weeks ago, the Utility Regulator warned that unprecedented rises in the global wholesale market could mean a rise of up to 50% from December.

John French told the economy committee that any announcement has to be made 21 days before it takes effect.

Gas suppliers' profits are regulated by the Utility Regulator and capped at a maximum of 2%.

The price of gas has jumped significantly from about 40 pence per therm to a record high of £4.10 in October and is currently around £1.90.

50% of a household gas bill is made up of wholesale costs so this will translate into bigger bills for consumers.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 11, 2021 3:57 PM GMT
Firmus Energy is putting gas prices up by 38% from 3 December across its Ten Towns network area.

The company said rising global energy costs had "forced" its hand to put prices up for the third time this year.

Firmus gas prices increased by 35% in October and by 18% earlier in the year.

The move will affect about 55,000 customers in the Ten Towns area, which includes Antrim, Armagh, Ballymena, Coleraine, Craigavon, Londonderry and Newry.

The Consumer Council said the increase would mean the annual bill of a typical household will rise by about £268 a year or £255 a year for those with a prepayment meter.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 16, 2021 5:14 PM GMT
Two more energy suppliers with a combined total of 35,500 customers have ceased trading amid a backdrop of high wholesale gas prices.

Neon Reef and Social Energy Supply have stopped trading, according to the energy regulator Ofgem.

Neon is the larger of the two with 30,000 domestic customers.

It means that more than 20 suppliers have now ceased operations since August, affecting more than two million customers overall.
Report politicspunter November 22, 2021 1:05 PM GMT
Energy firm Bulb set to go into administration

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59373198
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 22, 2021 1:18 PM GMT
Bulb Energy, which has 1.7 million customers, has announced that the firm will be put into administration.

It is the largest UK energy company to face difficulties following a sharp rise in wholesale gas prices this year.

Bulb will become the first energy company to placed into "special administration", where it is run by the government through the regulator Ofgem.

This measure is only used if Ofgem is unable to find another company to take over an energy firm's customers.

Wow, nationalised 1.7 million
customers.

This failing energy system
is costing us £100 each a year.

Whilst the profits from failed
energy companies remain in
directors pockets.
Report 1st time poster November 22, 2021 1:29 PM GMT
capitalism aint it
they take the profits
taxpayer picks up the debts
whats not to like Cry
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 22, 2021 1:55 PM GMT
Quite a few horror stories on twitter
from bulb customers about recent
actions on their accounts.

This could be nasty to sort.
Report 1st time poster November 22, 2021 2:20 PM GMT
their about to be liberated no getting up in the middle of the night or missing super sunday to put the washer on at the best tariff rates LaughLaugh
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 26, 2021 10:49 AM GMT
An executive of a failed energy supplier who has been hired by Ofgem could have been barred from taking senior roles at other companies under the regulator’s own rules, senior industry figures have suggested.

Daniel Norton started work this week as a deputy director at Ofgem, leading the teams working on designing and updating the energy price cap.

He was previously commercial director of Colorado Energy, a supplier with 15,000 household customers that collapsed last month. Ofgem was pursuing the company for more than £1.1 million in unpaid bills.

Simply staggering, innit?
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 26, 2021 11:05 PM GMT
Two more energy suppliers have gone bust amid the surge in gas prices, the regulator Ofgem has said.

Entice Energy and Orbit Energy, which have about 5,400 and 65,000 customers respectively, ceased trading on Wednesday.

The two firms are the latest companies to go under as higher wholesale gas prices have made price promises by suppliers to customers undeliverable.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 2, 2021 2:22 PM GMT
Another energy supplier has collapsed amid an ongoing surge in gas prices, UK regulator Ofgem has said.

Zog Energy, which has about 11,700 domestic energy customers, ceased trading on Wednesday.

It marks the latest company to go bust under higher wholesale gas prices, which have made it difficult for companies to keep price promises.

Ofgem will appoint a new supplier for the firm's customers.

In the meantime, customers should wait until their new supplier has been appointed before looking to switch elsewhere, it said.

The energy watchdog added that taking a meter reading will also help smooth the process when Zog Energy's customers are contacted by their new supplier.

Capitalism in action.
Report Giuseppe December 2, 2021 3:46 PM GMT
i wish we had socialism instead
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! December 2, 2021 3:59 PM GMT
Get on your
PONY
Laugh
Report Giuseppe December 2, 2021 4:05 PM GMT
lend us a pony mate
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.