Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Aspro
17 Aug 21 15:30
| Topic/replies: 54,002 | Blogger: Aspro's blog
Thought I'd try one out and used the 'My Heritage' kit. Here's what I discovered if it is of any interest to any of you...

Both parents and all my grand-parents are English yet I came out as 47% English, 46% Scandinavian and 6% Iberian, which isn't completely surprising considering Britain's history with the Danes.

The site shows a circle around 'me' that represents 'Close Family' and here I was shocked to see my half brother (different surname) at a 27.1% match. I had no clue he had done the test and when I spoke with him about it he was sceptical at first, but not anymore after this discovery. That was an impressive start, especially noting that the site had estimated that the match was either a half-brother or nephew.

The next circle represented 'Extended Family' and here I found a cousin with the same surname at 4.5% who is either a first cousin, once removed up to a second cousin once removed. I don't know the guy so I can only assume he's a descendent of my grandfather's brother, as my father was an only child who never kept in touch with that side of the family. I've made contact and am now awaiting his reply.

Finally there's 'Distant Relatives' that range from a 1.1% match downwards. Some are considered 3rd to 5th cousins from all over the world, but some (not all) of the 4996 matches are clearly marked as potentially not related at all with a minor share of DNA.

For the record 'My Heritage' has a database of 8 billion, whilst the largest, Ancestry, has a database of 20 billion so, if you're thinking of looking for yourself, hopefully this thread will provide a little insight, especially if anyone else has information to share?
Show More
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- August 17, 2021 6:39 PM BST
I have 2 new cousins thanks
to dna testing, possibly another.
An uncle with no previously known kids
who has seemingly fathered sons
to  2 different mothers!

Its a fantastic tool if it proves
to be so accurate.

Used ancestry.

I wonder how many more there may
be, yet to be discovered?

I'm English / Irish but we knew (suspected) that.

One of my new cousins has taken
family tree a generation further back
than I had been able to, so
new leads, and family meet up
when covid allows.
Report politicspunter August 17, 2021 6:49 PM BST
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eagle,_Cambridge

Anyone interested in DNA and it's history may like to visit this pub in Cambridge.
Report Giuseppe August 17, 2021 6:59 PM BST
lol not if you're likely to be there
Report tobermory August 23, 2021 10:36 PM BST
Interesting stuff Aspro.

6% Iberian I would think meant you had a Spaniard/Portuguese amongst your 16 GrtGrt grand parents, or the previous generation.

That high a % of Scandinavian I would think indicates a more recent ancestor from there, rather than 'Viking DNA' as that would likely be diluted to small amounts by now.
Report Giuseppe August 23, 2021 10:45 PM BST
i did one of these today and you came up as one of my close relatives tobes
Report Foinavon August 23, 2021 10:55 PM BST
I did one of these and discovered I had fathered 27 children in five different countries.
Quite disappointing as I thought there might be more.
Report Giuseppe August 23, 2021 11:00 PM BST
you some type of lothario mate
Report Foinavon August 23, 2021 11:02 PM BST
I'm keeping a low profile in case one of them is you and wants some money.
Report macarony August 23, 2021 11:56 PM BST
I used ancestry the majority all though less than half is Sicilian and South Eastern tip of Italy the next largest groups are Scots/Irish follow by English then French . But it as changed slightly in the time I have been on the ancestry site.
I also had a cousin turn up that I knew nothing about
Report tobermory August 24, 2021 1:21 AM BST
It's very useful in finding out things about your ancestors of the last 200 years that you didn't know, and discovering relatives you were unaware of, as Aspro and YHTL have.

Where I think it's a bit dubious is in the way it is marketed, you see programmes where they tell people they are '50% English 30% Italian, 20% Scandinavian', and they go away thinking their ancestors in 1066 were all living in England, Italy or were Vikings. For the last 200 years your genetic ancestors are your ancestors, but go back much further and your genetic ancestors are a tiny fraction of your ancestors.

I haven't done one of these but  I did research my family tree, and 200 years ago my ancestors were living in Ireland (approx 55%) or England (42%) Wales (3%) 

But for 1000AD which country would have the highest number of my living ancestors? Most likely China, and that would be the same for most people. The populations of England, Sweden and so on were just too small to provide anywhere near a majority of the ancestors of someone living in the 21st century.
Report Aspro August 24, 2021 9:48 AM BST
Great points tobes and you're probably right. I assumed that the blood line went back further than 200 years, which would explain the closeness of English/Scandinavian over the longer term. I haven't traced my family beyond my grandfather so the link could be much closer than I'm currently aware of, however; in the meantime I am trying out a few comparisons.

My sister decided to have a go and sent her samples off last week, which should (you would think) be very similar to my own. I'm also going to try out 'Ancestry' when a cheaper offer becomes available, which they all do from time to time. I'll keep this thread updated with the results, but the links to my half-brother and cousin were a good start nonetheless.
Report Foinavon August 24, 2021 11:50 AM BST
I think you would find that all of your ancestors were living in Africa if you go back far enough.
Report saddo August 24, 2021 12:12 PM BST
I think you'll find we were all fish if you go back far enough, what a pointless thing to say.
Report Foinavon August 24, 2021 12:30 PM BST
What does it matter where your ancestors were living 200 years ago? It's all academic and may be of passing interest but it matters not. Some people bear grudges over what happened to long dead ancestors and we see where it sometimes leads. Not always a good idea.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- August 24, 2021 12:36 PM BST
Why stop at fish, single celled
organisms, and before that chemicals.

One of my new cousins is struggling
to come to terms with his Mam
being totally unwilling to discuss
her long term relationship with
his biological dad.

Was told after dna test it
was one night stand.
Report Giuseppe August 24, 2021 12:54 PM BST
"But for 1000AD which country would have the highest number of my living ancestors? Most likely China, and that would be the same for most people." Confused

you probably have zero chinese ancestry

foinavon we don't know about the african origin for sure, it's just a theory
Report Aspro August 24, 2021 12:56 PM BST
The Golden State Killer was caught by one of these tests. Having escaped conviction for decades one bright detective decided to try these sites and it found a relative of the DNA they had on file, which narrowed down the search to five suspects. Using discarded material (from a tissue from the rubbish collection if memory serves) they finally found a DNA match.

People have found out that their parents (or father predominantly) are not who they thought they were. Good and bad tales from all over this technology with many more to come no doubt.
Report saddo August 24, 2021 12:58 PM BST
Why stop at 'we all come from Africa' though donny? There is no fixed point in time to determine where we are from, it simply suits progressives to use the Africa narrative.
Report Aspro August 24, 2021 12:58 PM BST
The 'theory' of African heritage should also be proven very soon. All fascinating stuff.
Report Giuseppe August 24, 2021 1:04 PM BST
how would they prove that?

also even if it is true, when people hear that, they think we are all descended from "africans" as in modern africans

that is not the case at all

i think tobes you are arguing that "most people with common ancestors" were in china? rather than actually being descnded yourself from those chinese?
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- August 24, 2021 1:12 PM BST
Not sure why the out of africa
theory is so unpopular with
some people.

Humans had to evolve somewhere

If it was Africa then it was Africa.

If it was elsewhere then its elsewhere.
Report Giuseppe August 24, 2021 1:13 PM BST
because it is used to suggest europeans are descended from modern africans
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- August 24, 2021 1:16 PM BST
There's been quite a few crimes
solved by family matches in dna

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suspected_perpetrators_of_crimes_identified_with_GEDmatch
Report Aspro August 24, 2021 1:43 PM BST
Isn't the oldest humans based on the oldest remains ever found? That could easily change over time. I'm with YHTL here, who really cares where we descended from. Interesting yes, but it changes nothing.
Report Foinavon August 24, 2021 2:20 PM BST
Giuseppe
Giuseppe24 Aug 21 12:13Joined: 21 Jun 05 | Topic/replies: 18,688 | Blogger: Giuseppe's blog
because it is used to suggest europeans are descended from modern africans

That's not what I was suggesting at all Beppe. We all have common ancestors.
Report Giuseppe August 24, 2021 2:29 PM BST
my post was inreply to yhtl really

i think this stuff is manipulated by the left and used to undermine anti-immigration argumenmts

we're all african, cheddar man was black etc.
Report Foinavon August 24, 2021 2:35 PM BST
Yes, but I thought I would clarify my position.
Does Saddo think I'm a "progressive"? I hope not.
Report Aspro August 24, 2021 2:38 PM BST
Not sure this is a manipulation at all. It's been said for many years that this is a consideration, long before all the current bs started.
Report Giuseppe August 24, 2021 2:43 PM BST
aspro europeans are not descended from what are today called "sub-sahran africans"

at best, we may have had a common ancestor at some point in the remote past
Report saddo August 24, 2021 2:59 PM BST
I'm sure lots of people stop worrying about our current immigration problems when they hear we are all Africans really Giusepe.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- August 24, 2021 3:04 PM BST
We ain't all Africans.

Don't let your racism ruin every
thought you have.
Report saddo August 24, 2021 3:20 PM BST
Irrelevant in todays world whatever imo, but the oft-used embedded suggestion that we probably are is so hackneyed and patronising.
Report Giuseppe August 24, 2021 3:24 PM BST
africa was also very different back then

a lot more varied

many of these people were wiped out over the centuries and barely exist anymore

like the bush people in south africa, and pygmies etc.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- August 24, 2021 3:24 PM BST
If our common ancestor evolved in africa

Then so be it.

It certainly seems highly likely.

This doesn't make us African anymore
than making us fish, or single
cell organisms.
Report edy August 24, 2021 3:32 PM BST
ha ha, Foinavon is a progressive.
Report edy August 24, 2021 3:33 PM BST
It's ok though, dad, I still love you.
Report Giuseppe August 24, 2021 4:07 PM BST
edy i am your father
Report Foinavon August 24, 2021 5:30 PM BST
Edy the Shepherd, get back to your sheep son.
Report Giuseppe August 24, 2021 5:36 PM BST
no sheep in saxony

DHL have their main hub in leipzig, which is where edy lives

my guess is he works in the warehouse there
Report tobermory August 24, 2021 7:30 PM BST

you probably have zero chinese ancestry

i think tobes you are arguing that "most people with common ancestors" were in china? rather than actually being descnded yourself from those chinese?

Giuseppe, it depends on how many ancestors I, or you or anyone, had in 1000 AD.

I would guess 30 million or more. Where were they living? The population of Britain,ireland and Scandinavia was less than 4 million, and maybe a third of those have no descendants. The population of China was 75 million.

The further back in time you go the more your living ancestors will match the population distribution of the world as it was then.

The 'identical ancestors point' has been calculated at the year 2158 BC. That is the point where every modern person's ancestors are the same people. So a white person that lives today had more 2158 BC ancestors living in India, China or Africa than in Europe, because there were far more people in those places.
Report Giuseppe August 24, 2021 7:33 PM BST
i'm descended from julius caesar mate, not kublai khan
Report tobermory August 24, 2021 7:42 PM BST
Kubla Khan is more likely as he had known descendants.
Report Giuseppe August 24, 2021 7:47 PM BST
no
Report tobermory August 24, 2021 7:48 PM BST
we're all african, cheddar man was black etc.

Cheddar Man may have been black (though the science that indicated this is not as clear cut as the media made out) but he was genetically much closer to modern Europeans than Africans.

Modern Humans I think evolved all over Africa/Asia and Europe, but the ones outside Africa were likely smaller populations and vulnerable to local extinctions from time to time, so we have more DNA in common with the Africans of 100,000 years ago.
Report Giuseppe August 24, 2021 7:50 PM BST
i think all populations north of the sahara (including asians) are more closely realted to each other than to sub-sahran africans

read that somewhere, no idea if it is true

i imagine australian aborigines have little in common with europeans too

all non-africans have some neanderthal dna too
Report Giuseppe August 24, 2021 7:52 PM BST
i take this stuff with a pinch of salt

i don;t think they really have a clue what happened 100,000 yeras ago
Report tobermory August 24, 2021 7:55 PM BST
Yeah, they are more closely related to each other because they are descended from a small group of people that left Africa. Aborigines are therefore closer to Europeans than Africans.
Report Giuseppe August 24, 2021 7:56 PM BST
shouldn't current africans be related to that group too?
Report tobermory August 24, 2021 8:00 PM BST
Everyone is related. But the group that left Africa was small and so is more 'inbred'.
Report Aspro September 12, 2021 11:38 AM BST
My sister got her results back today and here's her comparisons (me in brackets) for those interested.

Ethnicity: 71.2% English, 15.9% Scandinavian, 12.9% N&W European (47% English, 48% Scandinavian, 6% Iberian)... strange difference I think you'd agree

Relationships: Me 37.4% noted as 'Brother' - Half Brother 27.5% (27.1%) - Cousin 5.2% (4.5%)

I was quite surprised that the DNA between us wasn't higher than this but the results clearly indicated a direct sibling so again, very accurate.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com