Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
unitedbiscuits
02 Aug 21 09:53
| Topic/replies: 15,447 | Blogger: unitedbiscuits's blog
Friends traveling to Italy get told their pir tests are "inconclusive" even as they preparing to leave for the airport. They had to pay for repeat tests, which came through just in time but cost the three of them £800.

This is the thin end of the wedge. Pretty soon we are all going to need accreditation to go to the cinema or Lidl.

I have heard that Govt are going to monetise the tests we shall all need to get from A to B.

It doesn't help that Govt is perceived to have dished out so covid industry contacts to mates.
Pause Switch to Standard View Exploiting an emergency
Show More
Report PorcupineorPineapple August 2, 2021 11:00 AM BST
Easy way to line the pockets of their pals. We're going to Italy next week and I've been looking at the test prices!

Just an easy tax on holiday makers. Already trapped by booking flights and hotels, and the tests are simply a surcharge on top that can't be avoided.

Friends of Dom and Johnson coining it in from the working class. But please do carry on thinking they've got your interests at heart.
Report politicspunter August 2, 2021 11:02 AM BST
Why go abroad in these uncertain times?
Report PorcupineorPineapple August 2, 2021 11:06 AM BST
Family.

What's massively uncertain about it btw? There are risks but those are mitigated by vaccines, being cautious when travelling etc.
Report politicspunter August 2, 2021 11:09 AM BST
The number of uncertainties are plentiful. The main one probably is that you are relying on guidelines/restrictions not changing in multiple countries. Things change very quickly in the Covid world and often to the detriment of any travel plans.
Report PorcupineorPineapple August 2, 2021 11:21 AM BST
Yeah, that's true. And if I was flying out of Europe I might agree. But Italy has some restrictions still in place and all numbers seem to be heading in the right direction. There's always a risk of having to change plans, but I think it's fairly low and balanced against my wife's one and only chance to see her parents this year then we're happy to take it.
Report unitedbiscuits August 2, 2021 11:39 AM BST
I am afraid that the country is being led to a perpetual state of emergency where we shall need permission to travel from A to B.  And have to pay for it. Monetising the pandemic is entirely consistent with historical Conservative Party aims - the next next thing to making ordinary people pay for breathing in and out.

PoP, I suppose you can isolate with your family in Italy.
Report mecca August 2, 2021 11:44 AM BST
Not sure if you can blame Doris, or the Tory party... It's a combined worldwide effort
Report PorcupineorPineapple August 2, 2021 11:46 AM BST
That's true to be fair mecca. It's capitalism at the heart of this, not a particular party. Just a nice money making scheme to exploit tourists/holiday makers.
Report lapsy pa August 2, 2021 11:51 AM BST
I understand the entry pcr test,you give them that,however to then pay for a 'day 2' test (until recently also a day 8) that is very unnecessary imo.
Report PorcupineorPineapple August 2, 2021 11:56 AM BST
Far as I can tell, we have to do this (all by 4):
Test 48 hours prior to departure
Test at day 5 of quarantine
Test 48 hours prior to return
Test 48 hours after return

Costing us over a grand this.
Report Pleasegivemeanailedontip August 2, 2021 11:57 AM BST
It is a worldwide effort but made up of individual governments so you can still blame doris.

We were going to be the country that doesnt do all this nonsense and then we just did
Report Slicer August 2, 2021 12:05 PM BST
No one HAS to go on holiday! If you have to travel for business claim the test cost as a business expense! No- it's not fair, but there's only so many times one can bash one's head against a brick wall!
Report lapsy pa August 2, 2021 12:08 PM BST
I don't think at the moment it is 'holidays' as such,the majority are people seeing friends or family in Franc,Spain,Ireland etc after not seeing them in all probability since 2019.
Report PorcupineorPineapple August 2, 2021 12:10 PM BST
As said, it's simply a tax on holiday makers. As so ably pointed out, holidays aren't necessary and are seen as a bit frivolous right now by some. Therefore, tough titties on those booking them and no sympathy to them on this expense.

Handy little money spinner for their mates when no one's caring enough to look too deeply.
Report Whisperingdeath August 2, 2021 12:51 PM BST
This is the thin end of the wedge. Pretty soon we are all going to need accreditation to go to the cinema or Lidl.

I will not be going anywhere in the UK that requires accreditation particularly if they want my money. I feel for publicans. The oub experience has been dreadful these last few months and Is till cannot be bovvered. £1.47 for a 620ml bottle of San Miguel or Moretti. £6 for four 500ml bottles of Landlord or London Pride...accredit that!
Report saddo August 2, 2021 1:00 PM BST
porcy, tourism is very price based for the majority. If they stop going due to extra cost, and they will, tourism will decline-possibly sharply- worldwide. A good thing imo but I doubt the capitalists will agree.
Report PorcupineorPineapple August 2, 2021 1:07 PM BST
Jesus, £1.47 for a big bottle of Moretti? What pub's that?

Saddo - indeed. It's just an extra cost factored in and, wonderfully, it's not up front and often only checked a couple of days before travelling. You're trapped at that point and just have to get the credit card out.

Capitalists have had a lean couple of years and will be doing more and more of this stuff.
Report lfc1971 August 2, 2021 1:31 PM BST
First world problems Sad I don’t think people realise just how dangerous the situation is now from a health and economic perspective in Europe and of course U.K.
we are going to be very lucky if this is all we have to worry about
Report Giuseppe August 2, 2021 2:44 PM BST
"Easy way to line the pockets of their pals...Friends of Dom and Johnson coining it in from the working class."

lol isn't it Italy that is insisting on the tests?
Report Giuseppe August 2, 2021 2:45 PM BST
"I don’t think people realise just how dangerous the situation is now from a health...perspective in Europe and of course U.K. "

lol
Report Giuseppe August 2, 2021 2:47 PM BST
"No one HAS to go on holiday! "

are you saying no one has the right to leave the country anymore?
Report Giuseppe August 2, 2021 2:47 PM BST
lol airstrip one
Report Giuseppe August 2, 2021 2:50 PM BST
"It's capitalism at the heart of this, not a particular party. Just a nice money making scheme to exploit tourists/holiday makers. "

this is lizardman tier stuff

every government in europe is being bribed by the companies making the tests?
Report Giuseppe August 2, 2021 3:07 PM BST
Italy is on about 20 deaths a day

people should be able to travel freely between Italy and Gran Bretagna with no restrictions at all
Report shiny new shoes please August 4, 2021 1:07 PM BST
When governments & technocrats collude to plan your future
Your fe(ked!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com