Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Burt06
30 Jul 21 10:42
| Topic/replies: 3,792 | Blogger: Burt06's blog
DRUG SHAME Scotland’s drug deaths rise for SEVENTH year in a row as Nicola Sturgeon admits ‘shameful’ toll is ‘unacceptable’

DRUG deaths in Scotland have risen for a seventh year in a row, amid the highest annual spike in 25 years.

The shocking increase comes as Nicola Sturgeon admitted the "shameful" death toll is "unacceptable".

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/7479262/scotlands-drug-deaths/

The SNP have been in charge since 2007. And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

If they can't sort out a few smack heads what chance have they got of building a nation?
Pause Switch to Standard View Scotland’s drug deaths rise for...
Show More
Report Just Checking July 31, 2021 11:30 PM BST
You just know clicking on a thread like this nauseating SNP supporters will be on it lying. Such as the famous SNP supporter pretending to be a Tory above.

"As UK drugs policy is the responsibility of Westminster and is not devolved to any of the home nations, I am not clear why Sturgeon is being blamed for anything at all."

Sturgeon's government is in charge of Education, Health Education, Drugs Education, Social Care, the NHS, Policing, Drugs Rehab, and much more.
She was personally in charge when drug rehabilitation was slashed to the bone, the number of Scottish rehab beds and places has totally collapsed.
She has been in charge as FM for years as she underfunded it, spraying money around on rubbish like foreign aid or baby boxes for middle class families or Gaelic signage initiatives.
Now BELATEDLY as it's become a hot potato, she is finally throwing money at it to try and patch up the chronic underfunding the SNP created in the place.

If it's not her responsbility area, how in the blazes can she be throwing 250 million extra at it precisely to solve the problem?
It would be moronic to even consider that she has no responsibility when the above increase in funding to solve it clearly shows it is precisely her responsibility in the first place. I mean it makes no sense whatsoever to even suggest otherwise.

Give me strength.
Report sageform August 1, 2021 10:39 AM BST
And this in a country run by the self proclaimed "best" politician in the world! The only thing she does well is hate the English.
Report politicspunter August 1, 2021 9:45 PM BST
Some folks hate Scotland with a passion. It's a shame that they don't understand that UK drugs policy is the responsibility of Westminster, it is not devolved to any of the home nations.
Report Burt06 August 1, 2021 11:04 PM BST
Some wanchors hate England with a passion. It's a shame they sh1t their pants when challenged.
Report Just Checking August 1, 2021 11:06 PM BST
PP forgetting who he "says" he's blocked again I see.
Report MALAY August 1, 2021 11:07 PM BST
calling people smackheads who die burt is not going to help the situation if you really are concerned with the grim stats.
Report akabula August 1, 2021 11:17 PM BST
... Once again politicspunter tries to misleads the forum.
The snp has refused to join a successful UK-wide project aimed at tackling the source of drug deaths preferring to go it alone.
And btw if it was the responsibility of Westminster why was Sturgeon able to cut the budget and why is she saying they will get to grips with it this year?
And why is Angela Constance snp msp Minister for Drugs Policy at Holyrood?
And if we have no powers in this area why does Sturgeon talk about the powers she has in this vid?
https://twitter.com/i/status/1183725776136523776
Report akabula August 1, 2021 11:19 PM BST
As I'm blocked by PP could someone copy my post so we give him a chance to apologise for his lie.
Report MALAY August 1, 2021 11:22 PM BST
i will copy it for you, drugs is a scourge of society, there is more drugs in the jails than street btw.
Report MALAY August 1, 2021 11:23 PM BST
done on boosters thread
Report akabula August 1, 2021 11:23 PM BST
snp action so far.
Angela Constance - Drop the term drugs abuse and use drugs misuse as the term drugs abuse is offensive to addicts.
Humza Yousef - Give all addicts smartphones.
Jezuz wept.
Report MALAY August 1, 2021 11:44 PM BST
aka, alcohol is a drug as are cigarettes widely misused throughout the world and probably cause more deaths than illegal drugs.

Addiction is widespread and causes great pain, we could even throw in gambling, many on here will know that, myself included, some come out the the other side,many don't.
Report akabula August 2, 2021 12:27 AM BST
Agreed. C1gs will eventually get banned but alcohol is here to stay as is gambling.
I don't smoke, very moderate drinker and learned my lesson with gambling many years ago.
Report sageform August 2, 2021 11:40 AM BST
Never smoked or taken any non prescribed drug in my 77 years. Modest drinker but can honestly say I have not been drunk for 50 years or so. I bet for fun but invest in the Stock Market to supplement my pensions. I probably lose around £500 a year betting but consider that a cheap hobby and never chase losses.
Report politicspunter August 2, 2021 12:11 PM BST
Me-used to smoke maybe ten a day, gave up about eight years ago, drugs have never interested me, teetotal, gave up the booze six years ago. Got some managed pension stock but cashed a chunk in when I retired. I do nicely at the betting but 95% plus is on politics, the rest is on some football and occasional major national hunt meetings.
Report dukeofpuke August 3, 2021 3:36 AM BST
akabula • August 1, 2021 11:17 PM BST
... Once again politicspunter tries to misleads the forum.
The snp has refused to join a successful UK-wide project aimed at tackling the source of drug deaths preferring to go it alone.
And btw if it was the responsibility of Westminster why was Sturgeon able to cut the budget and why is she saying they will get to grips with it this year?
And why is Angela Constance snp msp Minister for Drugs Policy at Holyrood?
And if we have no powers in this area why does Sturgeon talk about the powers she has in this vid?
https://twitter.com/i/status/1183725776136523776
Report dukeofpuke August 3, 2021 3:36 AM BST

Aug 1, 2021 -- 5:17PM, akabula wrote:

... Once again politicspunter tries to misleads the forum.The snp has refused to join a successful UK-wide project aimed at tackling the source of drug deaths preferring to go it alone.And btw if it was the responsibility of Westminster why was Sturgeon able to cut the budget and why is she saying they will get to grips with it this year?And why is Angela Constance snp msp Minister for Drugs Policy at Holyrood?And if we have no powers in this area why does Sturgeon talk about the powers she has in this vid?https://twitter.com/i/status/1183725776136523776

sorted

Report lapsy pa August 3, 2021 11:34 AM BST
England and Wales have highest drug death toll since 1993,it seems not just Scotland but mirrored in the rest of Britain.
Report politicspunter August 3, 2021 1:11 PM BST
Drug deaths in England and Wales highest since 1993

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58070848

Sure is, Westminster needs to rethink UK drugs policy.
Report lapsy pa August 3, 2021 1:18 PM BST
Burt will be on later giving Boris a bollicking.
Report Whisperingdeath August 3, 2021 1:34 PM BST
How are we doing in England Burt?
Report Magic__Daps August 3, 2021 1:55 PM BST
politicspunter03 Aug 21 12:11

Sure is, Westminster needs to rethink UK drugs policy.

So England and Wales have 3.5 times as many deaths as Scotland last year, but they also have around 12 times the population. I think Stevie Wonder can see who is doing by far the worse job.
Report Whisperingdeath August 3, 2021 3:06 PM BST
Pathetic political point scoring daps

As long as more jocks die per capita!
Report Magic__Daps August 3, 2021 3:26 PM BST
Oh dear, desperate much....
Report Whisperingdeath August 3, 2021 3:30 PM BST
Not really. I pity you. Is there anything good happening in your life? All you do is post vile negativity.
Report Magic__Daps August 3, 2021 3:58 PM BST
LaughLaughLaugh
Report Just Checking August 3, 2021 4:04 PM BST
It's safe to say that the probability that Vaccines are a plan by Bill Gates to turn us into mind controlled Robots is a higher probability than than PP not being the SNP supporter he very clearly is (rather than the English Tory he says he is).

As 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000001 is STILL a higher number than 0.0.

The thing about constant lying is it's easy to forget which lies they've told and it becomes unmanageable, like saying they've blocked Aka for example. I suppose if challenged he could, just like his leader, say he "forgot".
Report akabula August 3, 2021 8:48 PM BST
England and Wales have highest drug death toll since 1993,it seems not just Scotland but mirrored in the rest of Britain.

Another post designed to mislead the forum. As a %age of population Scotland is 4.8 times worse than England and 4.9 times worse than Wales.
Report akabula August 3, 2021 8:56 PM BST
Firstly trying to blame Westminster for the snps failings and now trying to muddy the picture with misleading data.
Over 10,000 drug deaths in Scotland since the snp came to power and the nationalists are trying to sweep them under the carpet. Shameful.
Report lapsy pa August 3, 2021 9:02 PM BST
^  Very poor,what are the SNP doing wrong in Scotland so? What would you do?
Report Magic__Daps August 3, 2021 9:18 PM BST
lapsy - Surely the question should simply be "what are the SNP actually doing"?

The SNP seems to just apologise every single year, but tell everyone that actions are needed and not just apologies, and then do nothing and repeat the same lines in 12 months time when the figures are worse.
Report akabula August 3, 2021 9:20 PM BST
Malay this is a thread about the serious drugs death problem in Scotland so not sure the relevance of your post unless of course it is to deflect attention away from this issue.
Report politicspunter August 3, 2021 9:27 PM BST
At the end of the day, the fact is that drugs policy is the role of Westminster. It is not devolved to any of the home nations.
Report akabula August 3, 2021 9:30 PM BST
Angela Constance snp msp and Minister of Drug Policy at Holyrood disagrees.
Report MALAY August 3, 2021 9:34 PM BST
aka, my point is valid drugs are the scourge of many societies, even those who give the death penalty for use and sale.

there are many reason's for drug abuse in deprived communities although the wealthy can be hurt with it too, it's an issue that i'm not qualified to give answers on how to eradicate or perhaps minimise it, firing out meaningless stats without investigating the underlying issues is foolish.

Remember Edd skodval's famous or infamous quote ?
Report lapsy pa August 3, 2021 9:35 PM BST
Ok Magic Daps,that is a fair enough reply,my feeling it is very hard to do something to get results,some people want drugs and also pushed upon them in poorer council estates by crime figures, What can Nicola do?,i doubt there is an answer.
Report Magic__Daps August 3, 2021 9:48 PM BST
Lapsy - Surely it is all about prevention, getting people on the right path. There will always be drugs in society, and don't think that will ever stop as the lower end dealers get pathetic punishments. I read earlier that the SNP have made cuts to prevention programs, and refuse to put in law that gives every person who needs help actual help. Surely the whole point is to actually try and do something to improve the situation, but there doesn't seem to be anything the SNP has done bar make the situation worse.
Report MALAY August 3, 2021 9:53 PM BST
read earlier that the SNP have made cuts to prevention programs, and refuse to put in law that gives every person who needs help actual help

where did you read that the express or mail ?
Report akabula August 3, 2021 10:04 PM BST
Cuts were made to the budget for fighting the drug problem whilst cash was thrown at promoting the Gaelic language.
Report MALAY August 3, 2021 10:09 PM BST
what's wrong with promoting the gaelic language and what has it got do with drug budgets increase or decrease, I'm confused why the 2 things are linked together, can you explain the thought process on that, i'd be interested Surprised ?
Report akabula August 3, 2021 10:14 PM BST
Robbing Peter to pay Paul would be a good analogy.
Report Magic__Daps August 3, 2021 10:26 PM BST
Malay I read it here after googling SNP drug deaths. Sorry, it doesn't actually say "refuse" but the Scottish Conservatives want to bring in a law so that everyone can get treatment - which obviously isn't the case as it currently stands, and it seems the SNP are just stalling to get that Bill through, why would they do that, because it isn't their idea?

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/19479921.scotlands-record-drug-deaths-a-scar-conscience-snp/

SCOTLAND’S record-breaking number of drugs deaths last year “is a scar on the conscience” of the SNP Government, opposition MSPs have claimed.

New statistics from the National Records of Scotland (NRS) revealed 1,339 people died due to drugs misuse in 2020 – a 5% rise from 2019 and the highest number since records began in 1996.

More than 10,000 people have now lost their lives to drugs since the SNP came to power.

Scottish Conservative Leader Douglas Ross said a “united national effort” was needed to tackle the “national shame” - with Scotland maintaining the worst drug deaths rate in Europe.

He called for Nicola Sturgeon to stop stalling and back the Scottish Conservatives’ proposal for a Right to Recovery Bill - which would enshrine in law that everyone can access the treatment they need.

Mr Ross said: “These latest statistics are horrifying and heartbreaking. Behind every number is a lost loved one and a broken family.

“These shocking figures alone cannot capture the agony, pain and devastation that the drugs crisis is causing in communities across Scotland.

“The drugs crisis is our national shame. It is a stain on Scotland that so many of our most vulnerable people have been left without hope, crushed by a system that is thoroughly broken.

READ MORE: Scotland's drug deaths: 1,339 Scots died in 2020 after drugs misuse

“This is not a day for political posturing but it is a simple fact that the Government’s small steps are not cutting it. The crisis is getting worse and spiralling out of control.

“We need a united national effort to make the drastic changes necessary to overhaul the broken system.”

He added: “The Scottish Conservatives are bringing forward a Right to Recovery Bill to guarantee in law that everyone who needs treatment can get it.

“This proposal has the backing of frontline groups and experts across the political spectrum. SNP MSPs are reportedly on board privately. We only need the government to wake up, stop stalling and support it.

“The Scottish Parliament passed Covid laws in three days. We can introduce a right to recovery law swiftly if we adopt a similar sense of urgency.

“Overnight, we won’t end this crisis. But we can start on the right path today and take the necessary action now, if the government throws their weight behind this proposal.”

Scottish Liberal Democrat health spokesperson, Alex Cole-Hamilton, warned “this will be a terribly hard day for all those who lost a loved one last year”, adding that “each and every life lost is a tragedy”.

READ MORE: Scottish drug deaths: SNP urged to take on 'policy radicalism'

He added: "Every drug death is preventable. However, that task became ten times harder when SNP ministers avoided the subject ahead of the independence referendum, as that justice secretary admitted, and then cut the budget for critical prevention services by 22%.

"Help and expertise that people relied upon was needlessly surrendered when it should have been expanded.

"It was Nicola Sturgeon's choice to ignore this unfolding epidemic. Issuing apologies now is too late for thousands of people. The victims of drugs and their families were failed. It is a scar on the conscience of this Scottish Government."

The Scottish Greens have called for the UK and Scottish governments to both act to halt the rising drug deaths.

Scottish Greens health and social care spokesperson, Gillian Mackay, said: “Today’s tragic figures are yet another reminder of the devastating impact of drug misuse has on communities in Scotland. Every single one of these deaths is a preventable tragedy.

READ MORE: Drug deaths: 'National priority' for SNP to roll out new treatment standards

“The approach to drugs, pursued by both the UK and Scottish governments, must change. The war on drugs has demonstrably failed, it’s long past time we treated this crisis as the public health emergency that it is.

"It is time for an approach which focuses on restoring people’s dignity and treating their addiction, rather than criminalising them.

“While long term plans are now being developed to tackle this crisis, they come far too late for many. And for those in crisis now, they need to see urgent action, not more empty words.”

Scottish Labour leader Anas Sarwar, said: “Today’s drug death figures should shame Scotland - it should never have been allowed to get to this point. 

"Each and every one of these deaths is a travesty, and each one is preventable.

"It is not enough for the Government to express regret at these heartbreaking figures - they must be a call to action.

"Every year we get devastating figures, every year they get worse and every year we hear regret from the Government. Today’s statistics shouldn’t be the wake-up call. Almost daily deaths should be.

"These are the tragic consequences of years of failure to get to grips with this growing crisis in Scotland and to address the threat posed by drugs. 

"We have the same drugs laws as the rest of the UK but three and a half times the rate of drugs deaths.

"We need to look at every option to address this travesty - but we cannot afford to kick this into the long grass when lives are at stake. We can and must act now, by investing in a range of services and delivering truly person-centred treatment and recovery.”

Responding to the figures, Nicola Sturgeon said: “Today, my thoughts are with every family who has lost a loved one – I am sorry for the loss you have suffered.”

She wrote on Twitter: “However, I know that from @scotgov what is required isn’t words, but action to prevent people dying, and that is what we are determined to deliver.”
Report MALAY August 3, 2021 10:33 PM BST
surely education (which i think we both agree learning a different language to english is education) is a good thing thing for drug abuse prevention, just like sports participation, tennis,athletics you'e pal Laura.
i'm no expert in drug abuse prevention but giving kids or adults an interest in something other than alcohol the pathway to drugs is a good policy, and it can be diverse like learning Gaelic or playing curling, shinty, it doesn't need to be fitba we played.

i still think a lot of kids possibly talented are priced out these new amateur soccer acadamys btw, that sprung up 20 years ago.
Report lfc1971 August 4, 2021 12:25 AM BST
Teach them another language and they won’t take drugs , lol
They take drugs because it is not treated as a criminal matter and
there is no serious deterrent . In Japan for example it’s a serious crime and you will find yourself taken to court in handcuffs , it works and they don’t have a drug problem
Report lfc1971 August 4, 2021 12:45 AM BST
Too many villains , criminals , druggies and enemies of Britain are given refuge in Scotland by the snp , imo
Report MALAY August 4, 2021 1:01 AM BST
Lf1971 i know you have strong opinions on Ireland were you admitted didn't live ever now you have strong opinions on Scotland, did you live there ?

Is everything ok in you're area, if so why would you bother getting upset with Ireland or Scotland ? seems strange
Report lfc1971 August 4, 2021 8:40 AM BST
Malay as long as the Scots and Irish and that includes the south of Ireland are allowed free range to come and go as they please with full rights as British citizens then this is one country and I will comment as I like on these parts of this country or any other part
Report Dr Crippen August 4, 2021 11:28 AM BST
Too many villains , criminals , druggies and enemies of Britain are given refuge in Scotland by the snp , imo

That's true. In the film The 39 Steps, didn't Richard Hannay make straight for Scotland to avoid the police?
Report Dr Crippen August 4, 2021 11:29 AM BST
In subsequent versions too, they all shot off to Scotland.
Report lfc1971 August 4, 2021 11:34 AM BST
Exactly so Dr. Crippen Grin

wonderful film and so true
Report Burt06 August 4, 2021 11:54 AM BST
The knuckle dragging nationalists giving this thread a very wide berth I see.

Knuckle dragging, mouth breathing, foam at the mouth, rabid dogs is all these nutcases are.

No answers, no solutions. Nothing.
Report MALAY August 4, 2021 12:40 PM BST
Don't be so hard on English nationalists burt they are still suffering from the Italian defeat.
Report MALAY August 4, 2021 12:43 PM BST
lfc197104 Aug 21 07:40Joined: 06 Nov 11 | Topic/replies: 52,580 | Blogger: lfc1971's blog
Malay as long as the Scots and Irish and that includes the south of Ireland are allowed free range to come and go as they please with full rights as British citizens then this is one country and I will comment as I like on these parts of this country or any other part

Laugh can somebody translate this for non English person please
Report politicspunter August 4, 2021 12:44 PM BST
It appears that lfc doesn't recognise Scots as British?
Report politicspunter August 4, 2021 12:45 PM BST
He also seems to believe that the island of Ireland is one country?
Report lapsy pa August 4, 2021 12:59 PM BST
Hasn't he an Irish passport? Talk about selling your soul,it should be rescinded.

Burt you are some beaut,berating everyone,'No answers,no solutions,Nothing' Burt i got a nosebleed there with all your own answers and creative solutions to the problem.
Report MALAY August 4, 2021 1:27 PM BST
Thanks for translation PP, I thought that was what he meant, good man lfc1971 unless somebody stole you're log in ?
Report Whisperingdeath August 4, 2021 4:33 PM BST
You all need to have a talk with yourselves if you are having a conversation with lfc!

No wonder his post's are aggressive. You guys are threatening his position in the village!
Report dave1357 August 4, 2021 7:21 PM BST

The number of drug-related deaths recorded in England and Wales in 2020 was the highest since records began in 1993.

In total, 4,561 deaths related to drug poisoning were registered - equivalent to a rate of 79.5 per million people.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said about half of these would have occurred in 2019, because of delays in registering deaths.

The majority will have occurred before the pandemic, it added.

Report lfc1971 August 4, 2021 7:42 PM BST
She’ll say it’s not her fault , typical snp
Report Wallflower August 4, 2021 7:57 PM BST
lfc1971 04 Aug 21 07:40 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the UMPEENTH time.........

Irish (Republic) and British citizens are not to be regarded as foreign in either country - i.e. allowed free movement and right to vote (outside of presidential elections in Ireland, and now EU elections) - is AT THE REQUEST OF THE UK GOVERNMENT..

It is not at the request of the Irish Government. Murmerings about this being reviewed in Ireland post Brexit.... but these are 'outliers' and view is leave well enough alone, for time being ( I assume until UK becomes total basket case).

It doesn't serve you well to be continually disingenuous when I've schooled you on this in the past, but you dishonestly imply the opposite to the uninformed.

( Admittedly, I was 'schooled' in this myself when in IrelandShocked)
Report Wallflower August 4, 2021 8:01 PM BST
Only fair, by the way, as there are no head of state elections in UK since Lizzie Saxe-Coburg, as head of firm, passes it on to to Karl.

Ireland, being a land of peasants basically, has the unseemly process of electing head of stateShocked
Report lfc1971 August 4, 2021 8:04 PM BST
When in Ireland , lol
wallflower there’s no point going native they haven’t a clue
ps you’re wrong about freedom of movement it should stop immediately when and if Scotland votes for Indy
and the same should happen to Ireland north and south .
Report lfc1971 August 4, 2021 8:12 PM BST
I don’t blame Boris for not wanting to visit Ms Sturgeon , she’s very aggressive and might even start a fight ?
She’d have Boris .
Report Wallflower August 4, 2021 8:19 PM BST
end of freedom of movement between England .....  and Scotland / ireland.  ?

dont think ireland or scotland would really be that bothered. FACT.
Report Wallflower August 4, 2021 8:19 PM BST
end of freedom of movement between England .....  and Scotland / ireland.  ?

dont think ireland or scotland would really be that bothered. FACT.
Report lfc1971 August 4, 2021 8:20 PM BST
Put it on the ballot , cheers
And there should be no referendum until it is
Report lfc1971 August 4, 2021 8:26 PM BST
Boris should discuss that next time he visits ms sturgeon , and nothing else
Report Wallflower August 4, 2021 8:47 PM BST
btw.... 

I expect you to stop misrepresenting facts....fact is  Ireland to UK freedom of movement (and vote) is at our request.

You've knowingly implied the opposite for years now ( admittedly, in your defence you didnt know any better until you made my acquaitnance)... but you've known for a long time at this stage.
Report lfc1971 August 4, 2021 8:54 PM BST
Wallflower we have been through this before and I explained to you why that wasn’t the case
back to school and study the facts
Report lfc1971 August 4, 2021 9:11 PM BST
Not that it matters , it’s time it ended
Report Wallflower August 4, 2021 9:41 PM BST
thats what I've been saying for years......  its overCool..  all for the best in the long run.
Report lfc1971 August 4, 2021 9:55 PM BST
That’s not what you have been saying for years , simply because it’s not over -
as long as fom continues along with voting and other rights
Report lfc1971 August 4, 2021 9:59 PM BST
The south of Ireland has never been considered to be a foreign country either in practice or in fact
Report Wallflower August 4, 2021 11:29 PM BST
lfc1971 04 Aug 21 20:59 
The south of Ireland has never been considered to be a foreign country either in practice or in fact

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh FFS. Can we deal in facts ( perhaps I'm wasting my time, in fact probably wasting my time).

1.  Ireland when part of UK was obviously not considered a foreign country
2.  Sometime after Irish independence ( republic of) the UK asked for mutual non-foreign recognition ( British were technically foreigners, and complicated status of NI unionists in terms of free movement)
3.  Republic of Ireland agreed  (furtively, by the way, would not have been popular)
4.  Remains the case today  (much like the NI protocol willHappy)

So uk / ROI were for a time considered 'foreign' to each other until ROI agreed to our request.

Therein endeth the lesson.......... bon nuit
Report Giuseppe August 4, 2021 11:32 PM BST
"The south of Ireland has never been considered to be a foreign country"

Churchill was considering invading during WW2
Report Giuseppe August 4, 2021 11:35 PM BST
i don't there have ever been restrictions on movement between the 26 counties and the UK

not sure about tariifs on imports
Report Giuseppe August 4, 2021 11:36 PM BST
Eirland probbaly put tariffs on stuff when Dev was in charge, he was all for self suffieiceny

not sure if GB ever put tariffs on Irish imports
Report lfc1971 August 4, 2021 11:41 PM BST
1. self evident

2. British were not technically foreigners and neither were the Irish  as it would have complicated the freedom of movement of NI nationalists
( and the freedom of movement of citizens of the south of Ireland

So U.K. / south of Ireland were never at any time considered to be foreign countries

Here enderh the lesson - bon nuit
Report Giuseppe August 4, 2021 11:46 PM BST
not sure how voting works

can a Brit vote in elections here based on residency alone?

I ****g hope not
Report lfc1971 August 4, 2021 11:47 PM BST
The Irish are inclined when you do them a favour to make out that it’s themselves who are doing you a favour

That’s a little life lesson wallflower for the next time you’re in Ireland and they tell you something
Report akabula August 4, 2021 11:54 PM BST
Lets get back on track with the thread.
Has anyone any idea why Scotlands figures are 4.8 times worse than Englands and 4.9 times worse than Wales?
Report lfc1971 August 4, 2021 11:58 PM BST
It’s seen as acceptable because most or certainly many young people take drugs
Nothing much can be done as it’s part of society
Report Wallflower August 5, 2021 12:05 AM BST
lfc1971 04 Aug 21 22:41 
2. British were not technically foreigners and neither were the Irish  as it would have complicated the freedom of movement of NI nationalists
( and the freedom of movement of citizens of the south of Ireland

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bit strange then that UK had to ask Ireland not to consider British as foreigners, and Ireland passed a law to that effect.

Pity you weren't around at the time to tell them otherwise.
Report lfc1971 August 5, 2021 12:11 AM BST
They never had to ask and it was the south of Ireland who passed the law - if any such law was passed
Not Britain .
Report lfc1971 August 5, 2021 12:12 AM BST
Now I can assure you the south of Ireland don’t pass any laws that don’t suit themselves - get real
Report Wallflower August 5, 2021 12:19 AM BST
I would hope they don't pass laws that don't suit themselves. They strike me as quite an intelligent bunch anyway.

As I said, my point was just to deal in FACTS.

The Common Travel Area between ROi and uk ( and by implication non-foreigner status) is at UK request and granted by ROI.  Thats all.  Its is not a UK benevolence as you like to imply, in fact its an ROI benevolence if anything.

Your opinion is one thing, just asking you not to distort the facts.
Report lfc1971 August 5, 2021 12:20 AM BST
You see when your Irish college told you they were doing the British a favour - they weren’t

He or she was talking nonsense , I can’t say it any simpler than that
Report lfc1971 August 5, 2021 12:23 AM BST
The British never asked simply because the situation never existed
The common travel policy was always in place ... always
What law the Irish passed I’ve no idea it’s irrelevant
Report lfc1971 August 5, 2021 12:26 AM BST
Now if you can tell me any time in the last couple of centuries when there wasn’t a common travel policy let me know
And let me know what law was passed in the south of Ireland that meant anything , go ahead
Report lfc1971 August 5, 2021 12:33 AM BST
Facts wallflower - facts , what did the law passed in the south of Ireland say ... in words
A line or two is fine ....
Report Wallflower August 5, 2021 12:40 AM BST
I trust you have google. Prove yourself wrong, save me the bother.

.. and still never really resolved.... Ireland, somewhat to their discredit, distinguishes between UK citizens born in UK or elsewhere. Did not accept commonwealth citizens and part of CTA.

Point remains - your implication of Uk benevolence to Ireland is just incorrect. Uk and Ireland have been grappling with this for 100 years.
Report lfc1971 August 5, 2021 12:45 AM BST
You’re the one making the assertion Wallflower so either you have the law on the common travel policy by the south of Ireland or you don’t ( in place for at least the last couple of centuries ) which is it ?
FACTS - what is that law passed by the south of Ireland parliament - go ahead ....
Report lfc1971 August 5, 2021 12:49 AM BST
By the way it was other commonwealth countries that weren’t happy with Britain giving favourable terms to the Irish
So you’re twisting that fact upside down as well
Report lfc1971 August 5, 2021 12:51 AM BST
They couldn’t give two hoots what the Irish did , it was what the British did in favouring the south of Ireland they were not so happy with
Report Giuseppe August 5, 2021 1:05 AM BST
did it piss off Fiji?
Report akabula August 5, 2021 1:13 AM BST
FijiLove
Just one of the 50+ nations that cherish being members of the Commonwealth.
Report Giuseppe August 5, 2021 1:15 AM BST
yes

Tonga another
Report Giuseppe August 5, 2021 1:17 AM BST
good at rugby those two
Report Giuseppe August 5, 2021 1:36 AM BST
will Scotland be the next country to join the Commonwealth Confused
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539