Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
i_agree_with_nick
24 Jul 21 10:56
| Topic/replies: 13,069 | Blogger: i_agree_with_nick's blog
It was due back by 25 November 1958.

The title of the book?   "How to Lie with Statistics"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-57940909
Pause Switch to Standard View Newcastle library book returned...
Show More
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- July 24, 2021 12:04 PM BST
Blush
Report dustybin July 24, 2021 4:26 PM BST
I can never understand these stories.
Unless its somebody else who finds the book or a child discovers it in a house clearence, why would the culprit bother returning it knowing the news will report on it?
Report flat16 July 24, 2021 5:28 PM BST
Have trouble with a few lefties on here but that's a slow reader
Report tobermory July 24, 2021 6:23 PM BST
why would the culprit bother returning it knowing the news will report on it?

It's hardly like they will be going to prison.
Report dustybin July 24, 2021 7:23 PM BST
No but they always hint at the fact they may find out who it was and name them.
These stories come around about every 6 months.
Report Just Checking July 24, 2021 7:28 PM BST
The 88 year old library assistant was heard to say "Ahh! Ich Wiedersehen, Pet".
Report tobermory July 24, 2021 7:31 PM BST
I just can't see why the 'culprit' would be worried about that.

Most likely the person that didn't return it is long gone. Not the sort of book a kid would be reading and it was 63 years ago.

Do wonder whether it's been in the library all along...

"As much as we're pleased to have this book back, we're also pleased that it's sparked a bit of interest and people are talking about libraries and reading," Mr Hepworth said.
Report dustybin July 24, 2021 7:34 PM BST
Its public shaming they dont need.
Report dustybin July 24, 2021 7:38 PM BST
There was a school library job a couple of months ago that I believe included a guilt donation and a song and dance was made of it.
If the library does know/hasnt chased up then let sleeping dogs lie I say.
There are plenty of politicians and businessmen with far greater moral abuses that sleep well at night.
Report tobermory July 24, 2021 7:42 PM BST
These are feelgood 'and finally..' type stories, there is no shame.

What is more likely - someone makes a calculated decision not to return the book, keeps it for decades, and then is finally overwhelmed with remorse...

OR

Someone moves home, the book gets forgotten about and apparently left behind, but is actually carried to the new address in a box of stuff that is dumped in the attic. Years later they find it and send it back, or - more likely after all this time - one of their relatives does.
Report i_agree_with_nick July 24, 2021 7:50 PM BST
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-38240845
Report dustybin July 24, 2021 7:55 PM BST
I think theres an 'acceptable' overdue term that once breached becomes an increasing likelihood that the event will become a local story and therefore decreases the likelihood of it ever happening.
I wonder hom many just get binned?
Report tobermory July 24, 2021 8:02 PM BST
I would say the more of a story it becomes the less opprobrium is directed at the borrower.

Someone returning a book 4 months late won't make the news but is likely to get a worse reception from the library. Once it gets to decades there is only the wonder that it has been returned at all.

With this sort of story how many people say "wow the book has turned up after 63 years!" compared to "what, that **** kept the book all that time?!"

I'd haver thought about 200:1
Report dustybin July 24, 2021 8:09 PM BST
Why?
Its not the most difficult thing to return a library book, and its hardly as though the borrow didnt know.

I think the reverse; that people see the length of time and ask 'wtf is your problem?'

I had some school books that I churned over for years after living a hedonistic life where library books were the last thing on my mind.
I thought I should do something with these as they are a stain on my own book collection....but I never did because it became too much of a problem.
Report i_agree_with_nick July 24, 2021 8:09 PM BST
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-35071467
Report tobermory July 24, 2021 8:22 PM BST
Dustybin,

Because with this sort of story there are 2 possibilities as to why the book was not returned for so long.

A- The borrower made a selfish decision to not return the book, but finally felt remorse after decades.
B- The book got lost, for example when moving home, the borrower meant to notify the library but never got round to it, forgot about it. Then finally finds it having been unaware it was in his house and returns it.

After this amount of time B is just was more plausible than A. And of course then we have the statistical probability that the borrower is not the person returning this one as unlikely to be alive.
Report Dr Crippen July 24, 2021 10:04 PM BST
I thought they'd closed most of the libraries.

Perhaps they could have a book amnesty where overdue books could be handed in and the fines would be waved.

I've still got my Rupert annual from 1948 that I never took back.
There are some very unwoke words in that.
It might burn a hole in the desk.
Report i_agree_with_nick July 24, 2021 11:06 PM BST
A good idea Dr C.  It's been tried by some LAs and schools.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-16037082
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- July 24, 2021 11:22 PM BST
Dunno about Rupert, but I've got some
corkers featuring noddy!

Why does an elephant have  big ears?

Because noddy didn't pay the rent.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- July 24, 2021 11:28 PM BST
Q: Why does Noddy wear a hat with a bell on it?
A: Because he's a ****
Report dustybin July 25, 2021 2:09 PM BST
They should have a book amnesty....except it kind of justifies book theft in the long run.
I just think they lose far more than they gain by publicising book returns.

By the sounds of it a lot of books go walk abouts and I'd hazard a guess many simply dont come back due to shame or the thought of shame when doing nothing is the simplest thing.
Report lfc1971 July 25, 2021 2:17 PM BST
everything’s monitored , cameras so books can’t be stolen
Prior to cameras they started to put mirrors in corners that couldn’t be viewed
Report lfc1971 July 25, 2021 2:18 PM BST
In certain large libraries there will be a room with a few people at desks watching the monitors
Report dustybin July 25, 2021 2:44 PM BST
lfc

What would you call a book that is taken and never returned then?
Report lfc1971 July 25, 2021 3:08 PM BST
Well it’s obviously not stolen you’re allowed to take books from libraries -

Overdue
Report dustybin July 25, 2021 3:17 PM BST
Permanently

Just because taking things without paying is easier in a library doesnt mean that the non return isnt theft.
Report lfc1971 July 25, 2021 3:25 PM BST
That’s not good , throw the book at them Happy
Report lfc1971 July 25, 2021 3:30 PM BST
I was in a library once and it was a very hot day and walking past a room the door open a little
Glanced in and saw on the monitors a section of the library and people sitting reading / working at the tables
Report lfc1971 July 25, 2021 3:31 PM BST
* people outside the room in the library reading and working
Report lfc1971 July 25, 2021 3:38 PM BST
It’s true there’s no shame in bringing back a long overdue book , people think you’ve done a good thing and you have really
Report Dr Crippen July 25, 2021 3:49 PM BST
When my books were overdue, I'd always offer to pay with a large note.

The assistant usually said ''I can't change that'' and let me off.

One day there was a queue behind me, and a lady shouted ''I can change it for you.''

I thought, yes and there's something else you can do as well.
Report lfc1971 July 25, 2021 4:35 PM BST
Laugh
Report LoyalHoncho July 26, 2021 1:11 AM BST
I was in the History Library once ( a long time ago ) to view a fantastic exhibition of Churchill and eight periods of his life.  It was riveting stuff and I stayed at every locus and read everything through because it was of so much interest.  I was there about four hours ( at least ) because I wanted to take it all in and know his life and had little better to do at the time to be frank.  After a while I became aware of a young girl who had frequently walked through the room and back again.  Half a dozen times at least.  Later on it struck me that she had been, or might well have been, an employee sent by someone to see what I was doing, having been there for so long, and why I was taking so long doing it?  Weird really.  Why go to an exhibition if you are not going to take it all in?  And if you don't like people taking time over the viewing why open up in the first place?
Report casemoney July 27, 2021 12:37 AM BST
if the word "VITAL" were included I could understand the delay in Return
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com