Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
08 Jun 21 11:17
| Topic/replies: 26,553 | Blogger: ----you-have-to-laugh---'s blog
Brexit sausage war as Tories attack EU banger ban - that they allowed.

The UK and EU face a furious Brexit battle over sausages after Tory ministers started attacking a Brussels ban on bangers.

UK farmers are already banned from sending the meaty snack to the Continent under post-Brexit rules.

But now the clock is ticking on trade from Britain to Northern Ireland too - as it was only allowed under a six-month grace period.

That grace period expires at the end of June - after that, certain "chilled meat preparations" may be barred from going west across the Irish Sea.

If it's not resolved it's feared this could lead to supply gaps in Belfast supermarket. It includes chilled mince, chicken nuggets and chilled raw sausages, plus ungraded eggs and some unpasteurised milk.

The meaty impasse was already clear last year - because Tory ministers first agreed to put Northern Ireland under some EU rules, then agreed their post-Brexit trade deal without resolving the issue.

O V E N    R E A D Y    D E A L
Pause Switch to Standard View ......... Brexit just goes from bad...
Show More
Report Giuseppe September 15, 2021 4:06 PM BST
nobody care about Andrew Neel

Alex PhillipsLove and Our Nige are the two most important anchors
Report Foinavon September 15, 2021 4:08 PM BST
I would be so sure. They are marionettes not the puppeteers.
Report Foinavon September 15, 2021 4:09 PM BST
Tu as raison, Beppe.
Report Whisperingdeath September 15, 2021 4:10 PM BST
We all know who does the selecting for the Liberal Elite TV, the same clique who decide for the Grauniad and who paint police cars in rainbow colours. If you accept there are different views and opinions out there then you would realise that your opinion of GB News is not the only one any more than the sheite churned out by the Beeb is the only take on the world.

Who are WE?

Tell me please because I do not know who decides the news agenda.

I would rather have the BBC all day long notwithstanding the touchy feelies. People all over the World depend on the BBC and are the only ray of hope for them. I would rather watch any sport on the BBC than any commercial channel.

What is Liberal Elite TV? Please explain I genuinely would like to know
Report Whisperingdeath September 15, 2021 4:12 PM BST
who paint police cars in rainbow colours

Never seen a Po Po Car painted in Police colours! Please post a pic!
Report Foinavon September 15, 2021 4:20 PM BST
Do you not read Pink News? Shame on you.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2021/08/23/police-rainbow-hate-crime-cars-lgbt/
Report Whisperingdeath September 15, 2021 4:34 PM BST
erm no!
Report Whisperingdeath September 15, 2021 4:35 PM BST
and you do not have a picture of a police car with a rainbow whatever on it
Report Foinavon September 15, 2021 4:36 PM BST
It's de rigueur for all proper lefties, just like the champagne.
Report Foinavon September 15, 2021 4:38 PM BST
I do not go around taking photos of police cars. Read the article.
Report Whisperingdeath September 15, 2021 4:39 PM BST
But we do not have any Po Po Cars in rainbow colours yet?

So tell me who paints Police Cars in rainbow colours?
Report Foinavon September 15, 2021 4:53 PM BST
There are plenty of examples if you care to look, you can even buy stock photos of them on Alamy to hang in your sitting room so no one can doubt your lefty credentials. Enough spoon feeding for now, it's dinner time.
Report mrtopnotch September 16, 2021 12:33 PM BST
Marks & Spencer blames Brexit as it closes 11 French stores

Marks & Spencer has said it is closing 11 of its French stores because of problems supplying them with fresh and chilled foods since Brexit.

The UK retail giant said all 11 franchise stores it operated with partner SFH in France would shut "over the coming months".

M&S said supply chain problems since Brexit had made it "near impossible" to maintain standards of food supply.

"Global Britain" drowning in Brexit red tape.
Report Foinavon September 16, 2021 10:42 PM BST
When I look around my local M&S store I see lots of imported products across the range of products they sell from household goods to food. Some from the EU some from RoW. whole displays of French cheeses and wines for example. I also see German stores in this country selling British food. The retail situation in France must be pretty grim at the moment following draconian lockdown rules and strict employment laws and I suspect that M&S were looking for an excuse to quit and concentrate on the more profitable UK business.
Report mrtopnotch September 20, 2021 3:58 PM BST
UK meat industry warns some firms have just five days' CO2 supply

A jump in gas prices has forced several UK domestic energy suppliers out of business and has shut fertiliser plants that also produce carbon dioxide (CO2)
Some of Britain's meat processors will run out of carbon dioxide within five days, forcing them to halt production, the head of the industry's lobby group warned today.
A jump in gas prices has forced several UK domestic energy suppliers out of business and has shut fertiliser plants that also produce carbon dioxide (CO2).
This is used to stun animals before slaughter and prolong the shelf-life of food.

UK food supplies will be under threat long before Christmas, and could start affecting stocks within days, if carbon dioxide shortages continue, the boss of the Iceland supermarket chain has warned.
The shortage of CO2, also used to put the fizz in beer, cider and soft drinks, has compounded an acute shortage of truck drivers in the UK, which has been blamed on the impact of Covid-19 and Brexit.

They cannot even eat the Unicorns now.
Although drinking warm flat beer will be grand shur.
Report Giuseppe September 20, 2021 4:04 PM BST
beer is supposed to be flat
Report Whisperingdeath September 20, 2021 6:49 PM BST
How many Italian beers are flat?
Report Giuseppe September 21, 2021 1:09 PM BST
those are lagers

i don't think italy makes real ale, maybe some small breweries

real ale is supposed to come from a cask with the carbonation provided by the yeast

historically even the carbonation in lager came from the yeast too
Report mrtopnotch September 21, 2021 1:47 PM BST
AstraZeneca to build €300m manufacturing plant in Ireland.
A nice Brexity bounce for Ireland Laugh
Report lfc1971 September 21, 2021 1:58 PM BST
When the south of Ireland produces a company like AstraZeneca let us know , cheers
Report lfc1971 September 21, 2021 2:05 PM BST
Their headquarters are 1 Francis Crick Avenue , Cambridge , England

He was the guy who discovered ‘the meaning of life ‘ - in England
You might have heard of him
Report Whisperingdeath September 21, 2021 2:17 PM BST
The meaning of life?

Who Brian? or was he just a very naughty boy?

Or Eric Idle?
Report Whisperingdeath September 21, 2021 2:18 PM BST
Wurst you ain't seem nothing yet!

I voted for chaos. We are nowhere near that.

Oven ready Free Trade Deal with USA imminent....sometime, well maybe a long time after 2024!
Report Giuseppe September 21, 2021 2:45 PM BST
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AstraZeneca

AstraZeneca plc (/ˌæstrəˈzɛnəkə/) is a British-Swedish multinational pharmaceutical and biotechnology company[2][3][4]...

It has its research and development concentrated in three strategic centres: Cambridge, England; Gothenburg, Sweden and Gaithersburg in Maryland, U.S.[9]...

Astra AB was founded in 1913 in Södertälje, Sweden, by 400 doctors and apothecaries.[10]

In 1993 the British chemicals company ICI (established from four British chemical companies) demerged its pharmaceuticals businesses and its agrochemicals and specialities businesses, to form Zeneca Group PLC.[11]

Finally, in 1999 Astra and Zeneca Group merged to form AstraZeneca plc, with its headquarters in London.[11]

In 1999, AstraZeneca identified a new location for the company's US base, the "Fairfax-plus" site in North Wilmington, Delaware.[12]
Report Giuseppe September 21, 2021 2:46 PM BST
stop stealing Sweden's pharmaceutical companies
Report mrtopnotch September 21, 2021 3:14 PM BST
Probably be based in Donegal - the most northern part of Ireland Happy
Report lapsy pa September 22, 2021 10:44 AM BST
Zilch,zero,nothing from America, not even a whiff but more a rebuke towards sticking to the Protocol which most here knew was going to happen.

Where does the UK go now? The current situation isn't good,brexit simply isn't being implemented as EU imports are allowed unchecked through sheer necesssity,UK exporters still have their problems with red tape,delays etc.
A long road of slow decline? It looks that way at the moment.
Report bigpoppapump September 22, 2021 10:48 AM BST
No CO2 crisis in N.Ireland where they retain access to the EU Sing Market.

It's almost as if a cohesive single market of 500m people is an economic benefit.
Report mrtopnotch September 22, 2021 10:52 AM BST
Biden warns Johnson & the UK

US President Joe Biden has warned against the return of a closed border on the island of Ireland.
He was speaking ahead of a meeting with British Prime Minister Boris Johnson at the White House.
Mr Biden was asked about the Northern Ireland Protocol by reporters and said it was an issue he felt very strongly about.

When asked about a UK-US trade deal, the US President told reporters in the Oval Office: "To do with the UK, that's continuing to be discussed.
"We're going to talk a little bit about trade today and we're going to have to work that through.

"But on the (Northern Ireland) protocols I feel very strongly on those.
"We spent an enormous amount of time and effort, the United States, it was a major bipartisan effort made.
"And I would not at all like to see, nor I might add would many of my Republican colleagues like to see, a change in the Irish accords, the end result having a closed border in Ireland."

Mr Johnson said they were at one on the issue and that nobody wanted to see anything that would interrupt or imbalance the Good Friday Agreement.
After the meeting between the two leaders, the White House said that President Biden had reiterated his longstanding support for a secure and prosperous Northern Ireland.

Mr Johnson's first White House meeting with Mr Biden since he succeeded Donald Trump came as the British government's hopes for securing a comprehensive free trade deal with the US faded.

Earlier in the day, Mr Johnson was unable to commit to securing the deal - touted as a prize of Brexit by Leave supporters during the EU referendum - before the next election.
His concession came after suggesting trade negotiations are not a priority for the US president, who he accepted has "a lot of fish to fry".
Asked if he would get the deal by 2024, Mr Johnson told Sky News: "We will keep going with free trade deals around the world including in the United States.
"I have plenty of reason to be optimistic about that. But the Americans do negotiate very hard." And have put me in my place!
Report bigpoppapump September 22, 2021 10:58 AM BST
EU imports are allowed unchecked through sheer necesssity

the UK doesn't need to check EU imports; it can continue to operate 'as if' it's in the EU.  It knows EU goods are of the requisite standard.  The uncomprehesion of the Brexiteer mind that the EU isn't doing the same (just pretending) is part of our problem.  Brexit is an exercise in 'winning' the argument against European cohesion. It's English Nationalism as an ideal.  It's not 'for' specific, newly found gains.  There was no positive campaign for something.  Thus, there's an assumption, that 'come on, we're British, you can trust us' would be enough to continue as if we were still in the EU for all practical purposes, despite being able to leave for labelling ourselves as an 'independent sovereign nation'.

Nationalists - whichever country - are always ultimately idiotic.  Just like religion; if there's more than one country or religion not everyone can be 'best in the world'. 

Johnson's a liar. You're not best in the world.  Brexit is stupid.
Report 1st time poster September 22, 2021 11:16 AM BST
fairly obvious that rees mugg was actually right about something and it will be 50 yrs before anyone see,s any brexit dividends ,if there ever is any
the question is what will be the tipping point before then ,when people demand action from the government
Report Whisperingdeath September 22, 2021 1:24 PM BST
Oh pops,

I hope you don’t expect any of the the people you have talked about to come on here and make a cohesive argument against what you have just said.

Although you might expect them to come here and talk about cancel culture, statues that ar3 over 100 years old that nobody has noticed, BLM and Muslims.

Their ideas are as bankrupt as their vacuous heads but at least we have any oven ready deal, £350 million a week extra to save the NHS and no border in the Irish Sea.
Report lapsy pa September 24, 2021 11:22 AM BST
James O' Brien LBC twitter, ' i honestly never thought that project fear would turn out be an understatement'

Looking more likely he was right all along.
Report Whisperingdeath September 24, 2021 2:01 PM BST
We sow the seed, we grow the seed......
Report Foinavon September 24, 2021 2:51 PM BST
No CO2 crisis in N.Ireland where they retain access to the EU Sing Market.

It's almost as if a cohesive single market of 500m people is an economic benefit.

It's almost as if some people will use any unrelated situation to have a moan about Brexit.

The claims of project fear didn't materialise, we're out get over it.
Report Whisperingdeath September 24, 2021 3:14 PM BST
The claims of project fear didn't materialise, we're out get over it.

This is what we voted for. This is what I voted for....chaos!
Report Foinavon September 24, 2021 3:29 PM BST
I thought Kent was going to be tarmacked over and become a giant lorry park. Has your road become impassable for parked lorries? How do you get to the shops?
Report Whisperingdeath September 24, 2021 3:30 PM BST
I walk, no fuelLaugh
Report Foinavon September 24, 2021 3:32 PM BST
There are probably fewer lorries packing the roads to the channel because many of the Irish lorries are taking the scenic route round Lands End. That's a bonus for you.
Report Whisperingdeath September 24, 2021 3:34 PM BST
There will be chaos Foinavon is what I am saying. Some due to Brexit, some due to global factors, plenty due to an incompetent Government.

Without apportioning blame there will be chaos. Brexit is just going to exasperate it. Society needs rebalancing. It will get a lot worse imho and we ain't seen nothing yet.

I thought our cities and those around Europe might burn at the end of the summer but it was not a hot summer. It looks like we could though be in for our winter of discontent. To deny that whatever the cause of it is folly.
Report Foinavon September 24, 2021 3:34 PM BST
Good for you, exercise is beneficial or so they say. Excited
Report Whisperingdeath September 24, 2021 3:35 PM BST
Lucky we don't check goods coming in Foinavon otherwise it would be a lorry park but lets see what happens or starts to happen in October.
Report Whisperingdeath September 24, 2021 3:35 PM BST
I have taken to riding my bike again. Really enjoyed it I have to say!
Report Foinavon September 24, 2021 3:39 PM BST
The incompetence of the energy policy over the last few decades is bordering on criminal. We even came to rely on interconnectors from the continent (another EU bonus) instead of exploiting our own energy reserves and developing our nuclear expertise instead of abandoning it.
Covid policy seems to me to have been an overreaction and that hasn't helped. They got scared seeing the situation in Northern Italy which was somewhat of a special case.
Report Foinavon September 24, 2021 3:42 PM BST
We don't have to check goods coming in unless fraud is suspected, we have a trade agreement on goods. The EU is being pernickety as is their right but in reality it is unnecessary. They just want to make a point.
Report edy September 24, 2021 3:44 PM BST
Nobody forced you to rely on overseas energy (along with relying on imports of basically every other physical good on the planet). Coulda plastered Scotland with nuclear power plants and delivered it all to London by land.
Report edy September 24, 2021 3:45 PM BST
The nuclear waste coulda just been buried in the highlands too.
Report Foinavon September 24, 2021 3:50 PM BST
Quite right edy. The French went nuclear after the oil crisis in the 1970s and have energy baseload to sell. We are in effect renting Nuclear capacity situated on the French coast.
I'm not sure that what Germany is doing is a good idea, increasing reliance on Russian gas will come back to bite you, mark my words.
Report edy September 24, 2021 3:53 PM BST
Russians need our Deutschmark more desperately than we need their gas.
Report edy September 24, 2021 3:54 PM BST
We keep a nice amount of storage and are able to switch to any other provider any moment. If the Russians try to do anything funny - No Deal, No Problem!
Report Foinavon September 24, 2021 3:57 PM BST
Maybe, what will Vlad do with the money? When he uses some of it to grab a bit more of Ukraine what will you do?
Anyway, I need to go, probably back on later tonight. Ciao.
Report edy September 24, 2021 3:58 PM BST
Nothing. Nordstream 2 nicely circumvents the Ukraine and Poland if Russia were to invade either or both.
Report edy September 24, 2021 3:59 PM BST
Ciao bello!
Report winningthought September 24, 2021 3:59 PM BST
edy Joined: 13 Dec 06
Replies: 24867224 Sep 21 14:45 
The nuclear waste coulda just been buried in the highlands too

The Brits dumped their radioactive waste in the Irish sea just off the coast of Scotland.
Report edy September 24, 2021 4:01 PM BST
Dumping your nuclear waste in the Irish Sea is not very nice. I hope that is a sin of the past and they do not continue to do so.
Report Foinavon September 24, 2021 6:52 PM BST
You wouldn't want to go there. There's all those left over bombs we didn't drop on Germany down there too.
Report edy September 24, 2021 7:00 PM BST
Why not just use them in one of the many, many British wars since?
Report edy September 24, 2021 7:08 PM BST
While we are already talking cool military stories:

German Bundeswehr has a tiny few problems with digitalisation so they now ordered a bunch of exact replicas of a two-way radio that was first built in the 80s. For..wait for it....20k a unit.
Report Foinavon September 24, 2021 7:45 PM BST
Crazy but all military spending is a waste unless it acts as a deterrent or a persuader or until you need it.

Surely those bombs are better at the bottom of the sea than being exploded over someone's head. One would hope they could be recycled in this day and age rather than dumped.
Report lapsy pa October 7, 2021 9:37 AM BST
Intel are not building a British factory because of brexit(source BBC).

Intel are going to invest up to £70 billion in upgrading and opening semiconductor plants in Europe.
It is aiming to boost its output in a global microchip supply crisis.

A loss for the UK as CEO Mr Gelsinger said they would have absolutely been seeking sites there.

These are the type of companies that countries need(ie $7 billion invested in Ireland and a now further expansion with 1600 extra jobs)

Nicola Sturgeon for an independent Scotland should be trying to woo some of these.
Report lfc1971 October 7, 2021 10:44 AM BST
It’s a mistake to be reliant on foreign investment , it is for Britain to produce its own companies
Multinational companies merely hinder and don’t help this process and mean smaller companies can not even get off the ground
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- October 7, 2021 11:03 AM BST
The tories were just bigging up
UK as destination for foreign investment.
Report lfc1971 October 7, 2021 11:16 AM BST
Foreign investments are fine - in some cases
Foreign manufacturers is something else , setting up in Britain is good for the foreign companies
But of course there are the unseen costs to Britain and British companies and workers
Report lapsy pa October 7, 2021 11:18 AM BST
Intel and probably a rake of other companies are showing that up for what it is.The 'high' wage baloney not a help and the raising of corporation tax not long ago would say the complete opposite.

It is 'interesting' Intel were seeking sites in the UK but now lost to brexit. Ok,the EU is the bigger market but... maybe not the only reason!
Report lfc1971 October 7, 2021 11:21 AM BST
If the EU want to encourage foreign competitors to set up in Europe that’s a matter for them
It’s a bad policy
Report lapsy pa October 7, 2021 11:28 AM BST
It is a great policy,many well paid jobs,as you well know, The SNP and Nicola Sturgeon have a great opportunity if they look after them. You in England don't want them Lfc it seems,give them all to Scotland!
Report lfc1971 October 7, 2021 11:38 AM BST
Good luck to Scotland lp , however don’t expect that Scotland can continue to be financed or come to England for jobs etc
Report lapsy pa October 7, 2021 11:55 AM BST
Anyway,Scotland was an off point Lfc, surely you must be disappointed that Britain is losing out on thousands of well paid jobs.
Report lfc1971 October 7, 2021 11:59 AM BST
Look at it this way lp , Japan has been manufacturing in Britain and that means jobs
But - it is good for japan and its manufacturers not Britain’s - and is it good for British industry and British jobs ?
You see there is history and there is the unseen history
Report mrtopnotch October 7, 2021 4:18 PM BST
Intel not considering UK chip factory after Brexit

The boss of Intel says the US chipmaker is no longer considering building a factory in the UK because of Brexit.

Pat Gelsinger told the BBC that before the UK left the EU, the country "would have been a site that we would have considered".

But he added: "Post-Brexit... we're looking at EU countries and getting support from the EU".

Intel wants to boost its output amid a global chip shortage that has hit the supply of cars and other goods.

The firm - which is one of the world's largest makers of semiconductors - says the crisis has shown that the US and Europe are too reliant on Asia for its chip-making needs.

Intel is investing up to $95bn (£70bn) on opening and upgrading semiconductor plants in Europe over the next 10 years, as well as boosting its US output.

But while Mr Gelsinger said the firm "absolutely would have been seeking sites for consideration" in the UK, he said Brexit had changed this.

They're already investing the equivalent of $7 billion in their Irish factory. The latest expansion will create 1,600 extra jobs.
Report mrtopnotch October 7, 2021 4:28 PM BST
no fish Scared now no "chips" Laugh
Report Whisperingdeath October 7, 2021 4:37 PM BST
and milk being poured down the drain.

What else did we vote for when we voted for Brexit?
Report Foinavon October 7, 2021 4:40 PM BST
It looks as if Irish Joe's levelling up on business tax regimes is long overdue.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- October 7, 2021 4:43 PM BST
Pigs slaughtered and burnt
Report Foinavon October 7, 2021 4:44 PM BST
Well yes, everything is down to Brexit in the lefty-remainer myopic viewfinder. I'm surprised you didn't blame Brexit for the lack of wind power last month.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- October 7, 2021 4:47 PM BST
Why would we blame the weather
on brexit when there are so
many things to point out that
have been destroyed by brexit.

If brexiteers are stuck with
making stuff up for a laugh
we are clearly seeing them recognise
the damage they have inflicted
on patriotic remainers
Report Whisperingdeath October 7, 2021 4:49 PM BST
Oven ready piglings....er no they got shot!
Report Foinavon October 7, 2021 4:51 PM BST
Patriotic remainers? Don't make me laugh.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- October 7, 2021 4:56 PM BST
Brexiteers didn't do their
research after all.

Patriotic remainers will bail
you out
Report Whisperingdeath October 7, 2021 5:11 PM BST
Patriotic?

Just 2% of the land is built on. Who owns the rest?

What is patriotism?
Report sofiakenny October 7, 2021 5:17 PM BST
patriotism is the cover the trumpers and bozites use to encourage racism.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- October 7, 2021 5:18 PM BST
Learn to pronounce patriotic

/patrɪˈɒtɪk,peɪtrɪˈɒtɪk/

adjective

having or expressing devotion to and vigorous support for one's country.

'the patriotic remainers will
be expected to clean up the mess
of brexit as brexiteers look on
dumbfounded at the havok they
have unleashed'
Report sofiakenny October 7, 2021 5:25 PM BST
99.99% of all "flagshaggers" claim to be patriots.
Report lapsy pa October 7, 2021 5:32 PM BST
Nothing wrong with 'Patriotic remainers' they wanted what was best for their country,they were right.Farage,the ERG,The Tories,DUP, are supposed to be 'patriots' but acted in their selfish interests to the detriment of the PEOPLE of the country. What kind of 'patriots' are they?  The worst kind.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- October 7, 2021 5:40 PM BST
Heating bills up £500 a year
petrol up £400 a year, council
tax up £400 over next 3 years
10% extra on national insurance
6% extra for food

Must have been a lot of solid
research went into that lot
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 2, 2021 7:56 PM GMT
https://www.ft.com/content/9da25b00-0509-44e1-a785-866d92d897e5

British meat producers have begun sending carcasses to the EU for butchering and then shipping the meat back to the UK, after post-Brexit staff shortages led to the culling of more than 10,000 healthy pigs.

Nick Allen, chief executive of the British Meat Processors Association, said beef producers were shipping carcasses to Ireland for processing, before bringing the meat back to the UK, as a result of local shortages of butchers.

Pork producers were soon expected to start sending pigs to the Netherlands to be butchered in a similar process, he said, as they grappled to deal with staffing levels at least 15 per cent below the norm. Millions of pigs were expected to be processed this way, Allen said.
Report lfc1971 November 2, 2021 8:01 PM GMT
What on earth is yhtl on about now ?
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 2, 2021 8:03 PM GMT
Read it lfc,...

Nice to see FT. Com pay wall removed
for 24 hours.

Chance to do some serious reading!
Report lapsy pa November 2, 2021 8:05 PM GMT
That seems just plain manky,ship them all out dead together and butchered by the EU and sent back again?

Standards? Dodgy imo.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 2, 2021 8:52 PM GMT
There is a shortage of corpses for first-year medical students because of the lack of formaldehyde due to Brexit.

Even death is worse under Brexit.

Maybe we should just let them
cut up pigs,...
Report lapsy pa November 2, 2021 9:07 PM GMT
Be thankful Lfc that the Irish are putting some meat on your plate.
Report thegiggilo November 12, 2021 11:17 PM GMT
Haulage companies only applied for nine peopleLaughLaughLaugh to join a UK Government scheme designed to boost the number of fuel tanker drivers, Byline Times can reveal.

The Government launched the scheme in early October, amid a shortage of fuel in the UK, encouraging 300 EU drivers without a visa to enter the country. However, a recent written parliamentary question shows that only nine applications were made under the scheme, just 3% of the total.

The scheme contained a number of criteria: the drivers needed an EU licence to drive HGV fuel tankers, alongside a commitment not to claim benefits, an intention to leave the UK after the expiry of the scheme, and an endorsement letter from the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS). Ultimately, due to low demand, only nine endorsement letters were sent by the department.

Byline Times understands from individuals in the haulage industry that many drivers have been put off by the Government’s stringent requirements for EU drivers. Notably, the drivers are only allowed to remain in the country until the end of March. Driving a fuel tanker is a highly specialised occupation, and there is a shortage of HGV drivers in Europe – too many jobs and too few drivers. Therefore, industry figures believe the UK Government offered few incentives for foreign drivers to make the leap to the UK.

Help to expose the big scandals of our era.

“This is a global problem and we have been working closely with industry for months to understand how we can boost recruitment. All hauliers are putting in place strategies to fill their vacancies and ensure that they are recruiting new talent into the sector,” a BEIS spokesperson said.

The Government has announced a number of visa schemes, designed to boost the number of HGV drivers in the country – not just those transporting fuel. Overall, the UK has made 4,700 temporary visas available to HGV drivers, which will expire early in 2022. This is alongside 5,500 visas for poultry workers, and 800 for pork butchers.

However, Byline Times understands that the Government has so far been unwilling to share information with industry bodies on the success of the schemes, after their launch in early October. Strangely, Prime Minister Boris Johnson previously claimed that 127 applications had been made to the tanker driver scheme – rather than just nine.

Either way, the Government’s proposed solutions seem insufficient to deal with the scale of the problem. Speaking to CNN, British Chambers of Commerce President Ruby McGregor-Smith likened the Government’s temporary visa schemes to “throwing a thimble of water on a bonfire”.

“Badly planned, completely ineffective and only needed to clean up their own mess, this scheme was the perfect microcosm of how this Government does business,” Naomi Smith, chief executive of the campaign group Best for Britain, told Byline Times. “After years of fostering a hostile environment for overseas workers, the Government should not be surprised that foreign HGV drivers are not tripping over themselves to return to the UK.”

Indeed, the Road Haulage Association has estimated that there is a shortage of 100,000 HGV drivers in the UK, which has increased from 60,000 following the UK’s official departure from the EU in 2020 and the Coronavirus pandemic. There were 16,000 fewer EU nationals working as HGV drivers in the year ending March 2021, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS), compared to previous years.

This shortage of drivers has naturally affected the goods that they transport. In late September and early October, warnings of temporary petrol shortages caused a rush in demand for fuel, leading to days of extended queues and the closure of some stations. A survey of Petrol Retail Association members in late September suggested that 40% of forecourts had run out of fuel.

These shortages have also translated to supermarket shelves, with an HGV driver shortage combined with a chronic deficit of fruit pickers. The Government was forced to scrap its ‘Pick for Britain’ scheme in April, which attempted to attract more British fruit pickers, after a lack of interest. Some fruit farmers say that they have virtually no workers left after vast numbers of EU nationals decided to leave the country – spurred by Brexit and the pandemic.

Byline Times last week revealed that the UK has seen a reduction in exports to our top European trading partners equivalent to £515 million a week, following the onset of a new trading relationship with the EU.

So far, the Government seems entirely unable to quell the worst excesses of Brexit, despite promising that it will revive the domestic economy.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 12, 2021 11:20 PM GMT
(Nine)
Report Whisperingdeath November 13, 2021 7:59 AM GMT
Even death is worse under Brexit.

I’m a bad manWink!
Report lapsy pa November 13, 2021 1:36 PM GMT
Courtesy of the Dom and The Express;

'It was not until Oct 2020 finally understood what leaving the Customs Union meant.
I will never forget the look on his face{Boris's} when after listening to Lord Frost in a meeting on the final stage of the negotiation,hesaid no,no,no Frosty,what happens with a deal?

Frost replied this is what happens with a deal.

The look on the PM's face was priceless.

He sat back in his chair and looked around the room with appalled disbelief and shook his head'

LOL, ye are some beauts!
Report flat16 November 14, 2021 12:10 PM GMT
Interesting that you quote Dom so vehemently Lapsy ,was it not Dom who said........
"the reason the 350 £ million per week to the EU on the bus was so effective ,was that it was true" ,I cannot remember if this was before or after the castle incident but a reliable source surely not.
Then again using reliable sources has not bothered you before ,has guardian sensationalism and BBC scaremongering ever let you down before.
Report lapsy pa November 14, 2021 12:23 PM GMT
So you don't believe that Flat?

Johnson on his column in the Telegraph is quoted as saying he was having 'a torrid time' then in defence of his oven ready deal, isn't that a bit vague? Surely a 'torrid time' is no excuse for what was delivered, enough for the mugs to vote him in to the the detriment of the country.

V likely he hadn't a clue what he did imo,i do believe Cummings here,a brexit so bad that it appears the UK are now doing their utmost to wriggle out of the binding agreement they signed.

Oh the shame.
Report flat16 November 14, 2021 1:02 PM GMT
I do believe quotes from Dom+ Boris are two a penny and can be used to prove or disprove anything if your desperate ,sewerage goes into rivers in England ,Scotland and Eire.....now ,when we were in EU and centuries before (unfortunately) ,the fuel crisis was mainly inside the M25 and was perpetuated by the media and panic buying ,the empty shelves in supermarkets went on all thru the pandemic and at worst were minor inconveniences and to most irrelevant nonsense.
The NIP was never meant to be binding ,hence the multitude of provisos ,clauses and the comprehensive article 16 ,subtitled "safeguards" which allowed both sides to revisit and discuss in a responsible way ,if problems arose.
If these talks are not used properly and are used for petty political gains an opportunity has been missed by all sides.
The UK side has issues trying to appease extremists who would cancel the TCA and the withdrawal agreement and the other negotiating team are plainly influenced by Macron not reason.
Report mrtopnotch November 22, 2021 4:47 PM GMT
Bulb have collapsed into administration, 3.7 million customers
Entirely as a result of Brexit and the exit from the EU energy marketplace.
It'll be all over the news tonight surely
Report flat16 November 22, 2021 5:30 PM GMT
Couldn't be that gas prices have gone up globally........petrol/diesel prices going down and plentiful ,supermarkets back to normal except for damn turkeys everywhere .
Unfettered capitalism and consumerism treats supply problems as profit opportunities ,bought some very nice Brazilian black grapes today much nicer than the sour grapes from France ,Ireland and Italy.
Perhaps the remoaners with the BBC and the guardian can get together to inspire more scaremongering for xmas ,a tinsel tantrum maybe , or even a fairy light fiasco.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com