Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
tobermory
07 Apr 21 18:58
| Topic/replies: 52,399 | Blogger: tobermory's blog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UliafnI8BRE

Blush
Pause Switch to Standard View Ursula von der Leyen visits Erdogan...
Show More
Report Foinavon April 7, 2021 8:12 PM BST
Run along dear and put the kettle on.
Report casemoney April 7, 2021 8:27 PM BST
Laugh
Report boxingthefox April 7, 2021 8:40 PM BST
Laugh
Report impossible123 April 7, 2021 9:01 PM BST
If this does not make Mrs von der Leyen to tender her resignation she must have a thicker skin than Ms Dido the head honcho of the infamous Track and Trace Covid service. Mrs von der Leyen has been woeful for her role in the EU vaccine negotiation and procurement.
Report moisok April 7, 2021 9:04 PM BST
Erdogoon  comes from a society that has special treatment for women.

where is the guardian when you need it?
Report Foinavon April 7, 2021 9:10 PM BST
Love the Chelski shirts moisey, did they borrow them from Palace?
Report impossible123 April 7, 2021 9:12 PM BST
Why was she there anyway? The head of the EU snubbed by Turkey. That spoke louder than words. Erdogan just did not give a damn, did he?
Report saddo April 7, 2021 9:21 PM BST
Bribe money extension, refugees no longer wanted.
Report lfc1971 April 7, 2021 9:25 PM BST
very rude , EU shouldn’t be going anywhere near that horrible country anyway
Report Wallflower April 7, 2021 9:26 PM BST
impossible123 07 Apr 21 20:01 
If this does not make Mrs von der Leyen to tender her resignation she must have a thicker skin than Ms Dido the head honcho of the infamous Track and Trace Covid service. Mrs von der Leyen has been woeful for her role in the EU vaccine negotiation and procurement.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeez wept - this clown's obsession with the EU is getting beyond parody.... and his phoney war with the EU. They are way past Brexit - and glad to see the back of us.

Seriously, why would one of the most powerful people in the world resign because of the pettiness of a tinpot dictator?

As for EU vaccination - if I was him I might just wait until the summer to see how things are going..... and will they keep supplying us as they have done to date - they are the world's largest exporter of vaccines.  In addition they have huge supplies from pfizer and the single dose J&J vaccine imminent.....  catching up rapidly, and working on proper full vaccination approach.
Report saddo April 7, 2021 9:37 PM BST
The tinpot dictator has these powerful people in his grip it would seem, an endless money stream.
Report lfc1971 April 7, 2021 9:38 PM BST
I would love to see the British army move into there and depose Erdogan
Report lfc1971 April 7, 2021 9:43 PM BST
Tell him straight , this is because you were rude to ms van der Leyden
Report Giuseppe April 7, 2021 10:21 PM BST
was this trip essential
Report mecca April 8, 2021 1:37 AM BST
She can come and sit on my lap whenever she wants ..... we could talk about whatever came up
Report mecca April 8, 2021 1:38 AM BST
Well maybe if she was 20 years younger
Report edy April 8, 2021 2:04 AM BST
The more important person in the EU got the seat. Dunno what some of you guys are making a fuzz about it really.
Report Giuseppe April 8, 2021 2:15 AM BST
is there an "order of precedence"?

is michel ranked higher?
Report edy April 8, 2021 2:21 AM BST
No, but I know that you know that the council is where decisions are really made.
Report edy April 8, 2021 2:21 AM BST
You are not like the Brits on here that know close to nothing about the EU.
Report Giuseppe April 8, 2021 2:33 AM BST
as a german (?) what is your opinion of von der leyen?

is she competent?
Report edy April 8, 2021 2:54 AM BST
She's generally competent and knows her stuff. Very well qualified academically and intellectually. Has a bit of a problem with accountability and there was some potentially shady stuff regarding advisory contracts during her tenure as defence secretary, but that shouldn't be held against her. You very quickly become a bad apple, an outcast, amongst conservative if you do not have some potentially shady financial crony stuff going on. She just wanted to belong with her conservative friends.
Report Giuseppe April 8, 2021 2:58 AM BST
you don;t blame her for equipment shortages in the german armed forces?
Report edy April 8, 2021 3:01 AM BST
That was already a problem long before she ever become defence secretary. I think she might have actually reduced the problem slightly (she had more money available to her).

Whether she really used the money efficiently, I'm not quite sure. As mentioned, there was some potentially shady stuff about costly advisor contracts. Maybe her predecessors would have used the available money more targeted for equipment.
Report edy April 8, 2021 3:03 AM BST
That said, I think the money simply hasn't been there for her or any of her recent-ish predecessors to satisfy the equipment desires of everybody in the military.
Report detraveller April 8, 2021 7:30 AM BST
Potato head let her down. Should have taken a stand for the girl.
Report jucel69 April 8, 2021 7:31 AM BST

Apr 7, 2021 -- 8:33PM, Giuseppe wrote:

as a german (?) what is your opinion of von der leyen? is she competent?

Edy is not German, he's a fantasist who spends 24/7 on a betting forum....and doesn't even betLaugh

Report jucel69 April 8, 2021 7:32 AM BST
She is a failed German Defence MP.                               
Handed over almost all control of German military to the EU.                               
Was not on the original EU spitzenkandidat ballot paper.                                
Had no manifesto or policies.                               
Did not speak in the EU Parliament as part of an election campaign.                                
Was appointed by the current European Council and was not elected by EU MEP's.
Report markzzz April 8, 2021 7:37 AM BST
^^ ......was not elected.....

Don't be surprised by that. The Eu has a long and proud history of appointing very senior staff without elections.
Report edy April 8, 2021 7:44 AM BST
Edy is not German, he's a fantasist who spends 24/7 on a betting forum....and doesn't even bet

Oh sweetiemuffins, I really, really can't with your naivety sometimes. I mean, I'm not surprised that you are astonishingly naive after some of the stuff you've baaed around on here, but it still never ceases to amaze me anew.

Who told you these "alternative facts" that you mindlessly baa around?
Report edy April 8, 2021 7:50 AM BST
You see, jucelchen, you can't just mindlessly repeat/baa around any ol' nonsense your favourite dubious folks on the internet tell you. You need to do your research and think for yourself. It is very important.
Report saddo April 8, 2021 9:16 AM BST
edy 08 Apr 21 01:21 
You are not like the Brits on here that know close to nothing about the EU.

We were never well informed by the media about the make up of EU rulers, how it works. Level upon level of them virtually unknown here. I think there was good reason for keeping us ignorant, we'd have been out sooner.
Report edy April 8, 2021 9:21 AM BST
Wasn't it primarily the anti-EU tabloids that kept you uninformed on structures? Or even purposefully lied to you about the structures and workings?
Report jucel69 April 8, 2021 9:22 AM BST
Imagine pretending to be a German on a UK betting forum LaughLaughLaugh
Report jucel69 April 8, 2021 9:22 AM BST
and not betting LaughLaughLaugh
Report edy April 8, 2021 9:39 AM BST
It's an Irish betting forum.
Report edy April 8, 2021 9:40 AM BST
You coincidentally forgot to answer

Who told you these "alternative facts" that you mindlessly baa around?

Happy
Report lfc1971 April 8, 2021 9:41 AM BST
Mutti has lost the plot
Report lfc1971 April 8, 2021 9:45 AM BST
Germany and France in lockdown , Britain reaches herd immmunity on monday
Report jucel69 April 8, 2021 9:53 AM BST

Apr 8, 2021 -- 3:39AM, edy wrote:

It's an Irish betting forum.

LaughLaughLaugh

Report edy April 8, 2021 9:55 AM BST
You again coincidentally forgot to answer the question, dear.
Report edy April 8, 2021 10:20 AM BST
I do realize it's incredibly hard to answer questions for a sheep, but you gotta try, buddy. I know you do have it in you to think for yourself. It's just hidden very, very, very, very, very deep inside.
Report Foinavon April 8, 2021 11:23 AM BST
My dearest Fritzchen, there is nothing wrong with being a fantasist on here, absolutely not. There is no need to react so harshly to a right-thinking individual and who moreover loves cricket.
Report edy April 8, 2021 12:41 PM BST
Harsh? I gave him, if I may say so, a fabulous pep talk to make him believe in himself. I encouraged him to live in the knowledge that only the sky is the limit.
Report Giuseppe April 8, 2021 12:57 PM BST
"Handed over almost all control of German military to the EU."

what?

"Was not on the original EU spitzenkandidat ballot paper."

this is correct but the spitzenkandidat process isn't part of EU law and the European Council (the 27 prime ministers) has never formally accepted it

Had no manifesto or policies.

her manifesto is largely decided by the European Council. President of the Commission is largely concerned with implementing policy on a day to day basis, not deciding it.

Did not speak in the EU Parliament as part of an election campaign.

because she wasn't a spitzenkandidat.

"Was appointed by the current European Council and was not elected by EU MEP's."

she was, there was a vote in the european parliament and she was approved
Report Giuseppe April 8, 2021 1:00 PM BST
the MEPs think the party with the largest number of seats should get to pick the preident of the commission.

hence the spitzenkandidat process which they adopted unilaterally

legally the european council choose the president of the commission.

for a while the european council went along with the spitzenkandidat idea, but rejcted it this time. it was never a formal legal thing.

the european council picks a candidate and the parliament then approves the nominee in a vote.
Report Giuseppe April 8, 2021 1:03 PM BST
according to the the spitzenandidat principle, the president of the commission should ahve been manfred weber (EPP paty)

macron wouldn't accept this, he didnt think he was experienced enough (has never been a government minister)

macron (and others) were also under pressure to pick a woman

von der leyen was picked as a compromise

she was german and from the same party as weber, this placated the EPP and Merkel. she was a woman with minsiteral experience, thsi suited macron.
Report Giuseppe April 8, 2021 1:06 PM BST
people overestimate the power of people like von der leyen

the commission just runs the EU on a day to day basis

important decisions are amde by the European Council

von der leyen and michel (successor to tusk) don't even have a vote on the European Council (although they do attend meetings)
Report edy April 8, 2021 1:08 PM BST
Why did it take so long for you to enter my life, Giuseppe?
Report Giuseppe April 8, 2021 1:08 PM BST
"We were never well informed by the media about the make up of EU rulers, how it works. Level upon level of them virtually unknown here. I think there was good reason for keeping us ignorant, we'd have been out sooner."

saddo, farage etc. have been misleading you with disingenuous bullshit about "unelected bureaucrats" for years
Report Giuseppe April 8, 2021 1:08 PM BST
i don't want your love edy, just your money
Report edy April 8, 2021 1:09 PM BST
Plain
Report Giuseppe April 8, 2021 1:18 PM BST
need cash to lay arsenal tonight
Report jucel69 April 8, 2021 1:31 PM BST
They are unelected. They are elected by representatives (of the people)
I understand why, doesn't mean it isn't dodgy as fook

My comment on the military was in terms of terrible job she did in defence
Report jucel69 April 8, 2021 1:33 PM BST
What I mean is the UK chose MEPs but that was it.
The people never got to vote again on any of those people who were elected
Report macarony April 8, 2021 1:43 PM BST
Why was she there anyway? The head of the EU snubbed by Turkey. That spoke louder than words. Erdogan just did not give a damn, did he?

I agree A why was she dealing with a country like Turkey and B Turkey like China and Russia don't care what the West think and that is something that the West is going to have to get used to, as the power shift from West to East.
Report edy April 8, 2021 1:49 PM BST
Sometimes you have to be pragmatic and do some Realpolitik instead of being all woke and idealistic and completely snub folks.
Report Giuseppe April 8, 2021 1:50 PM BST
who is unelected? the commission?

do you want them elected? how wpould that work?

one of the reasons the commission isn't drawn from MEPs becasue generally MEPs aren't politicians with minsterial experience

commissioners usually are
Report Giuseppe April 8, 2021 1:51 PM BST
boris wanted turkey in the EU by the way
Report jucel69 April 8, 2021 1:53 PM BST
It's unworkable but you know what I mean
Report Giuseppe April 8, 2021 1:59 PM BST
no i don;y

how would you change it?

the 27 prime minsiters want to stay in control of the EU

they don't want the european parliament and commission becoming a powerful entity out of their control, which would happen if the MEPs start picking the presdident and the commission

you can't have it both ways

do you want the EU to become an independent entity, albeit democratically elected, but out of the control of national goverments?
Report impossible123 April 8, 2021 3:25 PM BST
'Boris wanted Turkey in the EU by the way"

Boris had an ulterior motive eg to agitate the impotence, incompetence and cronyism of the EU. It would also enrage the EU members states on handouts esp Poland. Erdogan would not hesitate to tell Mrs Merkel, President Macron and Mrs von der Leyen, if disagreeing with their economic and political policies.

But, Turkey would be good replacement for the entire non-contributing members states ie those surviving on handouts.
Report Foinavon April 8, 2021 3:34 PM BST
Fattaturk has Turkish blood so no surprise there. Erdogan could teach him a thing or two about dealing with foreigners, he's far too conciliatory.
Report edy April 8, 2021 3:36 PM BST
The UK already sought to enable turkish EU membership before Johnson and Erdogan were around.
Report edy April 8, 2021 3:37 PM BST
Just like they were the primary driver behind eastern expansion.
Report Foinavon April 8, 2021 3:40 PM BST
It's the 80th anniversary today of the push Eastwards, had you forgotten?
Report edy April 8, 2021 3:41 PM BST
The UK pushed east on April 8?
Report Foinavon April 8, 2021 3:50 PM BST
GPO 1941. We were very naughty.
Report Giuseppe April 8, 2021 3:51 PM BST
falklands anniversary a few days ago

argentinian football clubs made a big show of it
Report Giuseppe April 8, 2021 3:51 PM BST
sorry meant to say malvinas
Report Giuseppe April 8, 2021 3:52 PM BST
argentinians seem borderline obsessed with the falkands
Report edy April 8, 2021 3:53 PM BST
Not often does a war against Britain end without you being shattered to pieces. The Argentines had plenty of reason to celebrate them surviving a war with the Brits.
Report Foinavon April 8, 2021 3:55 PM BST
The Yanks wouldn't let us nuke Buenos Aires.
Report Giuseppe April 8, 2021 3:56 PM BST
i saw the top gear special for the first time the other day

when they drove threw patagonia with a "H982 FKL" registraton plate and were attacked by a mob
Report edy April 8, 2021 3:56 PM BST

Apr 8, 2021 -- 9:55AM, Foinavon wrote:

The Yanks wouldn't let us nuke Buenos Aires.

Yanks been terribly woke do-gooders since the 70s or so.Sad

Report Giuseppe April 8, 2021 3:56 PM BST
america's lapdog
Report Giuseppe April 8, 2021 3:57 PM BST
please uncle sam can we secure teh suez canal

please uncle sam can we have the secrets of the manhattan project which we part funded
Report Giuseppe April 8, 2021 3:58 PM BST
NO and NO
Report edy April 8, 2021 4:01 PM BST
It's a fascinating relationship.
Report Foinavon April 8, 2021 4:02 PM BST
I'm terribly concerned about the Yanks, they've not been themselves since Regan.
Report Giuseppe April 8, 2021 4:04 PM BST
"It's a fascinating relationship."

"special" even, you might say
Report Foinavon April 8, 2021 4:45 PM BST
Actually, I got the date wrong, edy Blush
The invasion of Czechoslovakia was April 6th 1941 and not the 8th. Apologies for misleading you.
Report Foinavon April 8, 2021 4:47 PM BST
Yugoslavia not Cz
Report Foinavon April 8, 2021 4:50 PM BST
There were so many it gets confusing. As you know, CZ was in 1939.
Report Whisperingdeath April 8, 2021 5:13 PM BST
Not often does a war against Britain end without you being shattered to pieces. The Argentines had plenty of reason to celebrate them surviving a war with the Brits.

There was no War Edy. It was a conflict.
Report edy April 9, 2021 2:05 AM BST
jucel69 • April 8, 2021 7:31 AM BST
Edy is not German, he's a fantasist who spends 24/7 on a betting forum....and doesn't even bet

You wouldn't be aware of this because it was during one of the times you were banned yet again (you are welcome Happy), but there was this really, really stupid guy called Timber on here. A total delusional headcase that was convinced The Lord would see to Trump being inaugurated again on January 20th, even long after it was obvious to anybody remotely sane that Trump had lost the elections.

So I offered a bet to him, with the stake being our respective forum existence. With Trump having to leave the White House on January 20th, Timber also had to leave.

In hindsight I do feel a bit bad for having taken advantage of someone with such obvious and plain to see massive mental problems and loss of any sense of reality, but...c'est la vie.
Report Foinavon April 9, 2021 12:50 PM BST
Should we call you Betty?
Report edy April 9, 2021 1:45 PM BST
I'd prefer Das Alte Bettchen.
Report Foinavon April 9, 2021 1:59 PM BST
In Ordnung
Report Whisperingdeath April 9, 2021 2:19 PM BST
Maybe they were training her to be Chairman!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com