Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
06 Jan 21 20:03
| Topic/replies: 19,108 | Blogger: ----you-have-to-laugh---'s blog
A tory donor and former Goldman Sachs banker has been appointed as the new chairman of the BBC, it was announced today.

Richard Sharp will succeed Sir David Clementi, the broadcaster has said.

He was once Chancellor Rishi Sunak’s boss at Goldman Sachs, where he worked for over 20 years and has donated hundreds of thousands of pounds to the Conservative Party.

Private Eye magazine had reported that Mr Sharp had donated almost half a million pounds to the Tories between 2001 and 2010.

He has donated £4,600 since then, according to the Guardian.

During the pandemic, he was an unpaid adviser to Mr Sunak on loans for businesses that have been affected by lockdowns and restrictions.

Democracy, lol
Pause Switch to Standard View Meanwhile back in the UK, a tory...
Show More
Report thegiggilo January 6, 2021 9:07 PM GMT
Well there's a surpriseLaughLaugh
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- January 6, 2021 9:14 PM GMT
Laura will be happy
Report macarony January 6, 2021 9:14 PM GMT
You can't have your cake and eat it. Looks like the pendulum will be swinging in the opposite direction.
Report nineteen points January 6, 2021 9:16 PM GMT
no coincidence about the school kids telly prog then.
Report scandanavian_haven January 6, 2021 9:20 PM GMT
gone within the week
Report akabula January 6, 2021 9:55 PM GMT
Good. We can now look forward to a more balanced BBC.
Report nineteen points January 6, 2021 9:58 PM GMT
they will be learning your little lads how to sit down for a p1ss, put their make up on properly and how to deal with their first period
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- January 6, 2021 11:10 PM GMT
I think they have had too many biased folk.

Should be nowhere near employing donors of
political partys...of any persuasion
Report Escapee January 6, 2021 11:17 PM GMT
A tory donor and former Goldman Sachs banker has been appointed as the new chairman of the BBC

Half the people on here will forget this in a couple of days and go back to believing and
continue ranting that the BBC is a left wing run organisation.

Sad
Report moisok January 6, 2021 11:25 PM GMT
that's all them woke so called comedians fkd then.
Report saddo January 6, 2021 11:30 PM GMT
Must be a good appointment if it upsets that lot so much  ^^
Report scandanavian_haven January 6, 2021 11:39 PM GMT
After all these years, everyone on the left insisted the BBC was right, everyone on the right insisted the BBC was left

Now we all know for 100% sure the right was wrong.
Report akabula January 6, 2021 11:39 PM GMT
[A great appointment in that respect Saddo.
As regards QT there certainly was a Remain bias with Remainer guests outnumbering Brexiteers by more than 2 to 1.
Report moisok January 6, 2021 11:43 PM GMT
will he sell it?
Report moisok January 6, 2021 11:45 PM GMT
can we have Nish as head of comedy to even it up - but then that's not comedy - but it might be with a Goldman's boy in - after all they run the money over the channel at the eu etc
Report saddo January 6, 2021 11:50 PM GMT
Plenty of Nish wannabees on here, and about as good.
Report edy January 7, 2021 2:11 AM GMT
What is right-wing comedy supposed to be? Is it people being faux outraged and ranting angrily how stupid libs are because they trolled cringe-righters with things like "amen and awomen" when the new congress came together?
Report edy January 7, 2021 2:13 AM GMT
https://twitter.com/beautyjewel1/status/1346278894706581505

Stuff like this?
Report Cider January 7, 2021 7:40 AM GMT
What happens is you get democratically elected and have a mandate to make appointments. Old Blair did it for three parliaments and now common purpose goons dominate the civil service, nhs and the country's institutions.

The particular flavour of hypocritical salt displayed on this thread is pretty tasty Cool
Report cryoftruth January 7, 2021 8:45 AM GMT
It’s corruption of course and if the best defence of the Tory evil is that Blair had cronies then the Tories really are in trouble.
So a cronie of the Tories gets the BBC. So Jenryk and Desmond cooked up a housing spending spree.

And the money that Putin is putting into the Tory Party is staggering. The Tories are bought by Putin and it’s a disgrace.

It was ever thus. Self deluded out of touch Westminster Tories, feathering their own nests and cutting taxes for the rich and food for poor children. Sickening but normal for the Tories.

An array of new links between Boris Johnson's Conservative party and donors with ties to the Kremlin have emerged on the same week that a major report accused the UK government of failing to provide Britain sufficient protection from Russian influence.

Six members of Prime Minister Johnson's Cabinet including Chancellor Rishi Sunak and Business Secretary Alok Sharma, as well as eight junior ministers, have received donations either personally or through their constituency parties from individuals or companies linked to Russia.

Senior Conservative members of Parliament Theresa Villiers and Mark Pritchard, who both sit on the Intelligence & Security Committee which this week published the long-awaited report into Russian interference, have received from the same sources, The Times of London reports.

From Business Insider:

An array of new links between Boris Johnson's Conservative party and donors with ties to the Kremlin have emerged on the same week that a major report accused the UK government of failing to provide Britain sufficient protection from Russian influence.

Six members of Prime Minister Johnson's Cabinet including Chancellor Rishi Sunak and Business Secretary Alok Sharma, as well as eight junior ministers, have received donations either personally or through their constituency parties from individuals or companies linked to Russia.

Senior Conservative members of Parliament Theresa Villiers and Mark Pritchard, who both sit on the Intelligence & Security Committee which this week published the long-awaited report into Russian interference, have received from the same sources, The Times of London reports.
Report Timber January 7, 2021 8:49 AM GMT
Cut and paste parrot is back
Report lfc1971 January 7, 2021 9:13 AM GMT
Loony leftists think the BBC is right wing . Good appointment who knows radical change is needed. left leaning bias from top to bottom
Now Boris start settling some scores , make them accountable to the Brexiteers
Report saddo January 7, 2021 10:56 AM GMT
Defund them and let those who want to watch propaganda and re-education programmes pay for it all themselves, no harm in that.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- January 7, 2021 10:57 AM GMT
Irony still alive and well post trump coup attempt
Report edy January 7, 2021 10:58 AM GMT
Some people are just extremists. They want the BBC to be gone as a moderating voice so their dreamed of far-left or far-right revolution happens.
Report saddo January 7, 2021 11:01 AM GMT
Would you not be happy to pay more for it as others decide not to, donny?
Report edy January 7, 2021 11:02 AM GMT
For the stability and moderation of a country and its population, a service like the BBC offers tremendous, priceless value.
Report lfc1971 January 7, 2021 11:07 AM GMT
It’s even difficult to watch motd now without the bullshine Sad
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- January 7, 2021 11:10 AM GMT
Would I not?

Licence fee can't survive long and they know it.

Sticking biased folk at head of bbc is bad move, but
it's likely part of tory plan to get rid of bbc as
they want to control the agenda, not have balance
from experts.

Having a left wing nutter and right wing nutter shouting
on tv may have limited entertainment value, but it stops
proper politicians discussing things, as that just doesnt
bring in ratings numbers.

Look what they have done to question time.. That was a highlight
of any week seeing heseltine or Clarke debating Kennedy, and healey
Or the big beasts of the day....
Report lfc1971 January 7, 2021 11:11 AM GMT
I want the national anthem played at the start of every football match , not that kneeling crap
Report lfc1971 January 7, 2021 11:13 AM GMT
I suggest you listen to Boris Johnson yhtl
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- January 7, 2021 11:15 AM GMT
Wave a flag eh, better than yer meds.
Report lfc1971 January 7, 2021 11:17 AM GMT
It depends on the flag you are waving now doesn’t it ?
Not all flags are equal
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- January 7, 2021 11:21 AM GMT
Not in your world, no
Report Timber January 7, 2021 11:25 AM GMT
repeat after me, Labour are never getting back into power in the next 50 yearsLaugh
Report lfc1971 January 7, 2021 11:27 AM GMT
I suppose all flags could be equal , as we look at the world
everything is possible , everything , even the most sordid and terrible things
Report lfc1971 January 7, 2021 11:34 AM GMT
Wouldn’t it be nice if it was mandatory to fly the Union Jack on a certain day of the year , for all British citizens and people living here ?
That would be lovely
Report saddo January 7, 2021 11:35 AM GMT
donny, QT was ruined the day the BBC backed remain and had a huge remainers bias on the panel every week. This clearly did not represent the public view on the matter, neither does most of the BLM woke rubbish on everything they put out. There's no going back once you've disenfranchised half your (paying) viewers
Report saddo January 7, 2021 11:36 AM GMT
They've done a Ratner, but slowly.
Report lfc1971 January 7, 2021 11:39 AM GMT
The BBC is about programming a certain way of thinking
They were a complete disgrace during Brexit
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- January 7, 2021 11:40 AM GMT
You just can't step back saddo and see big picture

That was just a step along the road, a further bastardisation
of a once must watch programme

Your racism makes you hate blm, that's sad
Report saddo January 7, 2021 11:41 AM GMT
The BBC is about re-programming, they want a world of rainbows and unicorns.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- January 7, 2021 11:42 AM GMT
Oh, like brexit, and sunlit uplands too
Report saddo January 7, 2021 11:42 AM GMT
I gather the BBC got the Vicar of Dibley at it donny, must have been a hilarious show.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- January 7, 2021 11:43 AM GMT
I never watched it, can't help.
Report edy January 7, 2021 11:46 AM GMT

Jan 7, 2021 -- 5:41AM, saddo wrote:

What's the world you want?

Report saddo January 7, 2021 11:53 AM GMT
One with less virtue signalling tosspots would be nice edy.
Report Timber January 7, 2021 11:54 AM GMT

Jan 7, 2021 -- 5:41AM, saddo wrote:

all sitting round a table, circle jerking & singing Kumbaya

Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- January 7, 2021 11:56 AM GMT
Full of disvirtue signalling toss pots instead?
Report edy January 7, 2021 11:57 AM GMT
What in particular do you find offensive about virtue-signalling?
Report Timber January 7, 2021 11:59 AM GMT
everything
Report edy January 7, 2021 12:00 PM GMT
I was asking saddo, not the Trump cultist without an own critical thought in his head.
Report edy January 7, 2021 12:01 PM GMT
"Everything" is not an answer to "What in particular..." anyway.
Report saddo January 7, 2021 12:02 PM GMT
Everything about the passive aggressive slimeballs who indulge in it tbh edy.
Report edy January 7, 2021 12:02 PM GMT
...What in particular?
Report Timber January 7, 2021 12:02 PM GMT
Edy throwing punches Laugh

https://twitter.com/CullerSports/status/1341235328611463168?s=20
Report edy January 7, 2021 12:05 PM GMT
What is an example of virtue-signalling that you find particularly bad and why so?
Report saddo January 7, 2021 12:15 PM GMT
Imposing your own ideas on others smacks of arrogance for a start edy. Are people who consider themselves morally superior to others because they think differently any better than racists?
Report edy January 7, 2021 12:24 PM GMT
That is still not a concrete example...

People always find their own views superior. It's in the nature of things. ****g Christianity is based on being morally superior to everyone else, and boy did they shame and virtue-signal throughout their entire history to impose their views on everyone else.

People are also shamed into wearing e.g poppies. People are shamed into not being thieves by society. Racists are shaming people into being racists. Patriots on here dramatically shamed and defamed non-Brexiters as not being patriots. Same with when the NFL kneelers were shamed into being non patriotic scumbags and haters of the flag and anthem in an attempt to stop their protest and to impose your views on the kneelers.

...As for

"Are people who consider themselves morally superior to others because they think differently any better than racists?"

In some ways they are indeed similar. Both wish to direct society and others into their ways. I think there is a marked difference though between reminding folks that gay people are humans with rights, and a racist hitting someone to a pulp because of the colour of his skin.

...So I shall ask again: Do you have a concrete example of virtue-signalling and why do you find it so gruesome compared to e.g what pro-lifers do, what "patriots" do...?
Report edy January 7, 2021 12:35 PM GMT
Societies don't work without shaming people, frankly. The society does have to set norms and guidelines.

Folks would just take the newfound freedom to be universal arseholes in a society where you aren't told and reminded what is and what isn't cool. With time those views can change of course. Not too long ago, the moral superiors of their time imposed their views that being gay is an act of satan, something that has to be prevented at all costs. If you were gay, you were shamed into being an abomination. And if you were mostly indifferent to gay people, or even supportative, the moral superiors still imposed their view on them and made them be mum on it for fear of societal repercussions. That has obviously changed.
Report Kelly January 7, 2021 1:08 PM GMT
Lost faith in BBC reportage some time ago . Reinforced by "funding" decisions .

Now I view the BBC as an arm of whatever ( suspect) administration elected by the hoi polloi .

Brendan Bracken must be turning in his grave .
Report impossible123 January 7, 2021 4:02 PM GMT
Not a novelty. Some high-profile businessmen donate to all 3 main Parties. What I find galling and most concerned about is how a minimally uneducated, ill-informed, ultra-left trade-unionist/industrial dispute campaigner like Mr "chicken" Corbyn could ever be appointed the leader of the Labour Party. Was that not even more despicable and unjust to the country? He was nothing but a stooge "planted" by Momentum.
Report unitedbiscuits January 7, 2021 5:09 PM GMT
One of the main aids to the Leave campaign was the way it exploited BBC commitments to "balanced" reporting.
So every last Remain argument gave equal time to the catch-all rebuttal "Project Fear."
Report cryoftruth January 7, 2021 5:46 PM GMT
Yes indeed the BBC had to give the same air time to the lies on the bus merchants as they did to the overblown project fear clowns.

I did not vote to remain. But my personal observation at the time was that Cameron and Greasy Osborne did nothing to aid the remain side by making out that Britain would be bankrupt 10 minutes after leaving the EU.

If they had tried just a bit to sell the benefits of EU membership the remain campaign would have been more effective.

As it was the people who had been victimised by Tory recessions and had their communities turned to waste land in the industrial north and midlands of England said “so what” when the economic frighteners put on them. I mean if you already have hungry kids and terrible living standards, when hope has gone and you feel like there is nothing to lose, why would you respond positively to posh Tories telling you leaving the EU would be bad for you? After all it was the same posh Tories who made them pay for the recession by smashing up the NHS and public services at the same time as they rewarded the bankers who caused the recession with a nice fat tax hand out.
Report edy February 3, 2021 10:01 PM GMT
...So I shall ask again: Do you have a concrete example of virtue-signalling and why do you find it so gruesome compared to e.g what pro-lifers do, what "patriots" do...?

Saddo...?Happy
Report lux February 4, 2021 1:59 AM GMT
Edy

Idealism v narcissism

A charlatan, a poser. Someone who talks the talk but steadfastly refuses to walk the walk. When being seen to care about an issue is more important than the issue itself. Self promotion.

Richard Gere, Lilly Allen and Gary Lineker are good examples...
Report edy February 4, 2021 2:50 AM GMT
Let's imagine I am an ethno-nationalist who thinks nation states should be homogenous and for "indigenous" people. What would I need to do for you to consider me someone who walks the walk instead of me simply signalling to other ethno-nationalists that I am one of them? Through which actions do I stop being a narcissist who simply wants to be liked by likeminded folks, and start being an idealist who walks the walk?
Report lux February 4, 2021 1:15 PM GMT
Edy

Because adopting such a position would not be considered virtuous within mainstream liberal orthodoxy. It would be considered absolutely monstrous and heretical in contemporary terms.

When adopting a view comes at significant personal cost, and necessitates social ostracism, the likelihood has to be that the advocation of  such a position is more likely seated on a place of authenticity and congruence than a position that attracts reward and continued acceptance.

Example. If Gary Lineker were to undergo some kind of Damascene conversion and adopt a worldview contrary to that of multi-culturalism, there would, unequivocally, be a huge personal price to pay for that shift. Career ended, shunned by family and friends, branded an extremist etc etc. But whatever my ontology, whatever my political persuasion, it would be self-evident to me that Gary Lineker, lunatic or not, could never be held accountable to any cogent accusation of virtue signalling. This is not the acting out of some kind of shallow, narcissistic, self-serving promotion.

Any accusation of virtue signalling can only be confirmed/denied, made sense of, in terms of the protagonist’s position within the prevailing societal dogma. See first paragraph.
Report edy February 4, 2021 1:52 PM GMT
I disagree. There can be a huge narcissist component even when signalling an opinion that isn't the majority opinion.

Let's take Trump. A total slimeball whose primary aim was always to be adored. Not so by the general public where he could've maybe achieved being liked lukewarmly, but ever so more cultishly loved by his base. So to stroke his inner narcissist he kept signalling his "patriotic virtue" to his base so that they think of him as a God and Savior. A level of recognition and adoration he could've never achieved in a lifetime of being mainstream.

Similarly, Joe English used to be one of many. Completely unrecognizable in the mainstream because he doesn't really have any skills that make him stand out from the millions. Then he discovers that he can get attention by being an ethno-nationalist that says and writes things that sound outrageous to many. He is someone now. The ethno-nationalist chicks all dig him. His ego is finally being stroked, and he got there by signalling his patriotic virtue.
Report edy February 4, 2021 2:18 PM GMT
People can also get a narcissist kick simply out of being anti-establishment, anti-mainstream for the heck of it without any deeper reasoning or true ideological conviction.
Report edy February 4, 2021 3:03 PM GMT
If you look at Trump and all the various cringe-right grifters, there obviously can be huge rewards waiting for those that pretend to divert from the mainstream and pretend to be patriotically virtuous, or virtuously racist. Instead of being shunned, the former total nobody becomes somebody. Reaches a level of fame and income he could not have achieved if he hadn't pretended his patriotic virtue.

The grift often the same:

Grifter will say something outrageous for the lone sake of getting a reaction
He gets said reaction
Grifter makes video
Disciples watch video because they are foolish enough to believe grifter is actually a rebel that isn't in it for money and shallow/narcissistic/self-serving promotion
Grifter gets his fame and cash

rinse and repeat
Report lux February 5, 2021 11:48 AM GMT
But it’s not a question of narcissism per se, more a specific brand of narcissism that is concerned with the ostentatious presentation of a very specific type of liberal conscience, of “decency”, whilst pursuing something that is diametrically opposed. In terms of your example, It cannot be confused with any other arbitrary interpretation or stripe of “virtue” such as “patriotism”.

You can attempt to reinterpret or resituate the term, but by any reasonable standard and current usage “virtue signalling” is overwhelmingly situated within the province of the Woke left. If you can show me an example that demonstrates otherwise I’d be happy to pay attention. If you are on the right you are merely a “racist”, “fascist”, “cringe righter” or whatever pejorative is the current flavour.

When Richard Gere tarts around the Mediterranean I call BS. When James O’Brien advocates for multiculturalism but then acts out the etymology of Fascism in leafy Chiswick– I call BS. If you say you are a liberal but live your life illiberally, I call BS. This is virtue signalling.

Trump is a narcissist for sure, but whatever you’re view on his patriotic vision, it is to my eyes and ears, absolutely congruent. You can’t point to a couple of millionaire outliers or a handful of grifters on Youtube as being representative. For an ordinary Joe in this country, working an ordinary job , in an ordinary corporation or within the public sector, any kind of nationalistic disclosure would be absolutely catastrophic.
Report edy February 5, 2021 5:17 PM GMT
Being on the right doesn't automatically make someone a racist, fascist or cringe-righter. Very, very far from it. I specifically make the distinction of a cringe-righter to voice that I am talking about a cringe fringe instead of the much bigger, very awesome right-wing. I like the right-wing, which is why the distinction is so important to make. Just like you, I assume, like the left and hence make the distinction of "Woke left" vs. normal, hyper awesome left that has a big place in your heart.

For an ordinary Joe in this country, working an ordinary job , in an ordinary corporation or within the public sector, any kind of nationalistic disclosure would be absolutely catastrophic.

Which repercussions have e.g the display of a poppy brought you? If you display a poppy that is. I think here we have a problem and confusion that many wannabe conservatives make. They confuse being a conservative/right-wing with being a jerk. Many people aren't conservatives. They just pretend to be to justify being jerks, and they drag conservatism's image and proper conservatives down right with them.

When Richard Gere tarts around the Mediterranean I call BS. When James O’Brien advocates for multiculturalism but then acts out the etymology of Fascism in leafy Chiswick– I call BS. If you say you are a liberal but live your life illiberally, I call BS. This is virtue signalling.

Is it worse than the cringe-right grifting of folks like Patriotic Justice Warrior?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com