Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
irishone
21 Dec 20 19:53
| Topic/replies: 46,134 | Blogger: irishone's blog
Cant get out
Dont want to get in .....
Just a matter of days
Pause Switch to Standard View When will the food start running out ?
Show More
Report lfc1971 December 22, 2020 9:35 AM GMT
Sageform is correct . Of course our home farmers will have to compete with  farmers from Brazil so maybe a small tariff
That will eliminate the competition from our nearest compeditors ( the EU) countries so that’s very good for our home farmers
All in all a good thing for British people and British farming
Report lfc1971 December 22, 2020 9:38 AM GMT
nice little story lp, it’s amazing what you can see and a lot can be achieved on a walk
Report lfc1971 December 22, 2020 9:41 AM GMT
Remainers like dave still don’t understand how tariffs work Sad
He will be claiming Brexit caused the destruction of the rain forests and maybe the next nuclear war as well
Report lfc1971 December 22, 2020 9:48 AM GMT
You see remainers like dave think it is ok for the EU to be concerned about the U.K. competition and treat the U.K. differently to other nations
Because we are near. That’s why they are claiming access to our fish
Well if this is true it is better for our farmers and ourselves that we penalise and disadvantage eu countries in some way
So yes tariffs are good .
Report lfc1971 December 22, 2020 9:49 AM GMT
And less tariffs than are now paid for countries that are far away
Like Brazil
Report lfc1971 December 22, 2020 9:52 AM GMT
See how it works remainers ? No , thought not
Try and think for yourselves just a little bit
Go on , surprise yourselves ...
Report politicspunter December 22, 2020 10:18 AM GMT
Don't respond to the forum troll !
Report lfc1971 December 22, 2020 10:19 AM GMT
^ I have a stalker following me around Laugh
Report dave1357 December 22, 2020 11:20 AM GMT
lfc1971 • December 22, 2020 9:35 AM GMT
The contents of this post have been hidden for this blocked user. [Manage blocked users]
Report•Quotelfc1971 • December 22, 2020 9:38 AM GMT
The contents of this post have been hidden for this blocked user. [Manage blocked users]
Report•Quotelfc1971 • December 22, 2020 9:41 AM GMT
Report•Quotelfc1971 • December 22, 2020 9:48 AM GMT
Report•Quotelfc1971 • December 22, 2020 9:49 AM GMT
Report•Quotelfc1971 • December 22, 2020 9:52 AM GMT
Report sageform December 22, 2020 4:30 PM GMT
It is not tariffs that are stopping Brazilain pork coming here, it has been banned by the EU for 40+ years. I know because I had a pig farm in Brazil and no it won't mean cutting down rain forest, we just offer a bit more than Russia for the meat already produced. We could put an import tariff to protect British pork producers but almost none of our bacon is produced in UK.
Report eyeball December 22, 2020 4:43 PM GMT
Shelves are empty in my supermarket . Nearest thing to a turkey is turkey mince .Cry
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 22, 2020 4:43 PM GMT
It's what the add to the foodstuffs that is the
worry with Brazilian pork, innit.

Ractopamine for one, another chlorine chicken waiting
for tory approval.
Report sageform December 22, 2020 4:56 PM GMT
Depends on the factory. The one we supplied was a very modern one that had approval from EU inspectors and certainly didn't use any chemicals as they were hoping to get EU approval but the Dutch and Danish producers have a veto. I can never understand this notion that things in Brazil need necessarily be worse than here. They adopt new technology far faster than Europe as there are no "traditions" to hold them back. Most of the arable farming is done using the most modern kit with precision drilling, satellite controlled use of fertiliser and pesticide etc. Have you ever been there? The main farming region in the south is farther from Sao Paulo or Rio than we are from Marseilles.
Report sageform December 22, 2020 4:58 PM GMT
My wife popped into Morrisons this morning and bought a small turkey for us two as family can't come now. No hassle at all. I can only marvel at some of the problems in other parts of UK.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 22, 2020 5:02 PM GMT
Remarkable that we can produce turkey in uk and
get it into British shops.

It's them poor French families wanting Scottish
fishies on Xmas day I feel sorry for.
Report i_agree_with_nick December 22, 2020 6:37 PM GMT
Plenty of food in my local supermarket but Bacofoil's in short supply.
Report sageform December 22, 2020 8:05 PM GMT
Even if there are a few empty shelves next week, can we really moan about only having 5 vegetables to choose from instead of 6? Or 20 varieties of fish instead of 24. That is not food shortage. Now if there are no bars of plain chocolate that would be really serious.
Report nineteen points December 22, 2020 8:09 PM GMT
its great isnt it.we are literally doing hari kari to save granny and in a few months will will be eating her
Report sageform December 22, 2020 8:11 PM GMT
Speak for yourself.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 22, 2020 8:33 PM GMT
Could be some big sales next week, so supermarkets
might plug the gaps on the shelves with Christmas jumpers
and poinsettas
Report impossible123 December 22, 2020 9:03 PM GMT
The EU sell more to us than we to them. Also, the EU want our fish which has been "stolen" from us when we asked to join several decades ago - the price of being a member. Since then we've been paying them mega £bn too annually to help some of the sick EU nations. As such, do we need a trade deal as much as them? Certainly not. There's another world outside the sick and nationalistic Europe.

Covid originated from China yet The EU members and the rest of the world allowed the Chinese free access into their country. But, we discovered a new Covid variant, and The EU banned us from entry. And, we're still a member - how absurd is that?

I think it's inconceivable a another more contagious Covid variant is not found in every EU member state. If so, it's a certainty nationalism and self-preservation will precede solidarity and cohesion.
Report Foinavon December 22, 2020 9:54 PM GMT
Strange isn't it? All those recently concerned about a theoretical potential never ratified to break international law have nothing to say, not a squeak, about little Napoleon breaking EU single market rules by blocking the lawful transit of our goods across his border.
Hypocrites the lot of them.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 22, 2020 10:47 PM GMT
Probably because you are making stuff up
Report Eric.Cartman December 22, 2020 10:51 PM GMT
90% of our lettuce comes from the EU...do you not know how many of our starving children are going to die without lettuce ??...really, really breaks my heart.
Report SontaranStratagem December 23, 2020 12:17 AM GMT
There wont be a food shortage they wont let it get that far

"control the food you control the people" is kind of a catch 22 and could become an oxy moron, yeah controlling it is fine but once you start messing with the supply chain all hell could break loose

And then the "control the people" isn't so easily done then is it. People will do the strangest and/or demented things when hungry, you tell a man his kids are going to die if they don't eat soon... you'll see how fooking raged he gets then
Report akabula December 23, 2020 12:54 AM GMT
Thers nae lettuce in a Glasgow salad.
Report dukeofpuke December 23, 2020 1:05 AM GMT
Surely a Big Mac cant be called that without lettuce

So lets make a new name for it
Report sageform December 23, 2020 7:50 AM GMT
Tesco are already advertising cheap sale prices of fresh produce. They have a surplus. It will be loo rolls that are rationed, not food. Who eats salad in cold weather anyway?
Report Foinavon December 23, 2020 1:27 PM GMT
Every word of my post is true yhtl.
Report irishone December 23, 2020 1:51 PM GMT
https://metro.co.uk/2020/12/22/uk-faces-food-shortages-from-sunday-unless-bo...
Report irishone December 23, 2020 1:52 PM GMT
That settles it then

CHRISTMAS EVE !
Report irishone December 23, 2020 1:53 PM GMT
https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/brexit-latest-uk-brace-months-food-shortages...
Report irishone December 23, 2020 1:53 PM GMT
https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/brexit-latest-uk-brace-months-food-shortages...
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 23, 2020 1:55 PM GMT
Really foinavon, in which alternative reality is it true?
Report Foinavon December 23, 2020 2:13 PM GMT
Just turn on your TV to see the chaos which Macron has caused by his precipitate and unnecessary action. We are still a member of the single market. Which alternative reality are you talking about? The one in your head perhaps?
Report sageform December 23, 2020 2:19 PM GMT
It makes me very angry to hear the accusations of delay and incompetence at Dover. Test kits should be for GB people first and then foreign drivers if possible. The French could easily send over some people to help with testing-it was their idea. This mess is entirely of Macron's making and it is mainly EU drivers who are protesting against the UK!
Report nineteen points December 23, 2020 2:22 PM GMT
he closed his borders like all of europe because our leader tried more scare tactics.what has macron done wrong? maybe we should think before we act
Report sageform December 23, 2020 2:30 PM GMT
As we are the only country which has a laboratory capable of typing each positive sample it is hardly surprising that we found the new variant first. Once the others are told how to identify it, they are admitting they have it too. Macron has acted in complete defiance of advice from the rest of the EU but then that is what France always does.
Report knot in wood December 23, 2020 2:32 PM GMT
pardon my ignorance perhaps iv'e missed something here.

but if the UK cannot get fresh fruit from france/europe, how does ireland manage?(do they produce all their own), surely most of the lorries will have to travel through england and wales to reach there.

perhaps the EU are going to fly in supplies like Goring tried in stalingrad... and look what happened there.
Report politicspunter December 23, 2020 2:38 PM GMT
Plenty of direct air and sea routes from Ireland to other EU member nations.
Report sageform December 23, 2020 2:42 PM GMT
The Irish population is vanishingly small in the grand scheme of things. About 1% of the EU and less than half that of London. If 4.4 million can't feed themselves on a land area nearly as big as England they have a problem.
Report knot in wood December 23, 2020 2:42 PM GMT
fair enough.

but surely it's not all brought in by plane/ship, would cost a small fortune.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 23, 2020 2:43 PM GMT
Foinavon you are simply making stuff up

Just check a few simple facts,

Maybe on Facebook or whack job. Com you
might be a brave hero for spouting this nonense
Report sageform December 23, 2020 2:44 PM GMT
How do you think it arrives from GB-on horseback? All imports have to come by ship or plane apart from a very small amount via the channel tunnel and Ireland does not have one of those.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 23, 2020 2:45 PM GMT
It makes me very angry to hear the accusations of delay and incompetence at Dover. Test kits should be for GB people first and then foreign drivers if possible.

Lol, why not start at front of queue, as they are all working
to bring supplies, or take exports.
Report sageform December 23, 2020 2:46 PM GMT
That is what they are trying to do but some French drivers have blocked the road.
Report knot in wood December 23, 2020 2:49 PM GMT
Laugh we will have plenty of horses available when the racing stops,problem solved.
Report sageform December 23, 2020 2:51 PM GMT
Still have to travel by ferry and the Irish have banned them as well.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 23, 2020 2:51 PM GMT
Should have started 2 days ago

Should tell folk what's happening

No info, folk tired, hungry, skint

Hardly surprising, not doubt Patel will be rallyin the natives
to fill up the dingies
Report sageform December 23, 2020 2:53 PM GMT
The only people who could tell them what was happening and how long it would last are the French.
Report Foinavon December 23, 2020 2:55 PM GMT
The single market requires the free movement of goods. If Macron is concerned about the drivers he could quarantine and test them on arrival while at the same time politely requesting that the British government set up testing facilities here. Drivers spend much of their time isolated in their cabs, few if any of those who came here a few days ago and are now wanting to return home are likely to have been infected in transit.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 23, 2020 2:56 PM GMT
This morning?

The French said negative test would permit exit last night!!!!

No info on testing or movement this morning

Were you expecting French to set up test site in car park?
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 23, 2020 2:57 PM GMT
Still making it up foinavon

Lol

Try whackjob.com forum
Report bigpoppapump December 23, 2020 3:00 PM GMT
The EU banned us from entry. And, we're still a member - how absurd is that?

Brexit happened when the UK left the European Union on 31 January 2020. If it feels like little has changed, that's because both sides agreed many things would stay the same for 11 months, to allow leaders time to agree a deal for life after Brexit.

May as well be accurate, eh lads?  We are not a member of the EU.
Report Foinavon December 23, 2020 3:02 PM GMT
No so and for your information, I have no social media accounts apart from this forum.
Report bigpoppapump December 23, 2020 3:04 PM GMT
I find it astonishing that there are so many people on this forum opposed to the principal of a sovereign nation controlling it's own borders

Laugh
Report Foinavon December 23, 2020 3:05 PM GMT
We are not a member of the EU but are in the single market until the end of the year.
Report bigpoppapump December 23, 2020 3:07 PM GMT
don't you think a sovereign nation should control its own borders Foinavon?

What a strange opinion to hold.
Report bigpoppapump December 23, 2020 3:07 PM GMT
somebody above claimed we are a member of the EU.  We are not.
Report bigpoppapump December 23, 2020 3:09 PM GMT
do the rules of the single market apply to the export of new variant Covid?  clearly this is not a conventional product and the French appear to be controlling their own border, in line with our own fervently held principals.

got to applaud a sovereign nation which controls its own borders
Report bigpoppapump December 23, 2020 3:13 PM GMT
desperate scenes when ardent brexiteers try to invoke the rules of the single market to allow the UK to export virus.

absolutely desperate.

Laugh
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 23, 2020 3:15 PM GMT
We are blocking travel from sarf Africa now

New variant...

Expect whackjob.com to circulate relevant cut and paste to spam
Betfair forum
Report impossible123 December 23, 2020 3:21 PM GMT
Whatever veg not available from The EU in the short term how about consuming those grown locally eg Chinese veg, potatoes, etc, or from the rest of the world eg Kenya, New Zealand, etc.

The new more contagious Covid variant detected by the UK scientists is probably existing in The EU presently, and is not UK specific given the freedom of movement of EU nationals. It just requires a bit of scientific work to prove its existence EU countries.
Report Foinavon December 23, 2020 3:32 PM GMT
France is a member of the EU, I expect it to adhere to the rules of that union.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 23, 2020 3:33 PM GMT
It has
Report lapsy pa December 23, 2020 3:36 PM GMT
Tbf YHTL said the testing should have started the minute France said you need a negative, want to get the finger out.
Report Johnny The Guesser December 23, 2020 3:36 PM GMT
Spot on impossible - All that EU fresh food produce destined for the bin , all as a result of political posturing.  We can source elsewhere, try alternatives - preferably home grown.  What will happen then ?  Many will prefer the "new stuff" and the EU market is diminished for the long term.
Report lapsy pa December 23, 2020 3:38 PM GMT
Johnny,bins already full, very expensive UK fish in them.
Report Foinavon December 23, 2020 3:39 PM GMT
It has blocked the free movement of goods of another member of the single market.

I hope we will move away from any reliance on Eu produce from 1st January. The EU seem to be encouraging us to do so.
Report impossible123 December 23, 2020 3:41 PM GMT
What veg do Bulgaria, Czech Rep, Slovenia, Lithuania, Poland, Estonia, etc, grow? I cannot think of one. Can anyone?
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 23, 2020 3:42 PM GMT
It has not,

And you continue making stuff up
Report impossible123 December 23, 2020 3:47 PM GMT
When one door closes, another one opens. This is what I've been brought up to believe. One just need to have the means to open the new door; The UK is not a banana republic or like almost 1/2 of The EU members. The UK can provide for itself, financially, economically and logistically unlike the EU members I mentioned in my previous post ie The EU scroungers.
Report bigpoppapump December 23, 2020 3:48 PM GMT
brexiteers in a nutshell. 

no awareness of their own self contradictory positions, ever ready to call other people from other countries names, expect preferential treatment for their own country for no good reason, surprised when the world says enough with the boll0cks.

c'mon, stop talking your country down, this is an opportunity, let's get going to those brave sunny uplands...

Laugh
Report bigpoppapump December 23, 2020 3:51 PM GMT
France controls its own borders and didn't have to leave the EU to do so.  Wonder if the Brexit story wasn't all true after all?  Maybe counties make their own laws?  Maybe the EU is a Union of sovereign nations, not a superstate?

it's all so confusing. 

Laugh
Report lapsy pa December 23, 2020 3:51 PM GMT
Foinavon,that variant was classified as "moderate" last Friday,30 minutes before Johnson cancelling Xmas speech the highly transmissive part was released to the press( i commented on that on a thread).
It may well be more transmissive but didn't it really suit Johnson?
You cannot blame any other country giving the scare tactics used by the goverment are in any way true,remember "ban the Italian death planes"
Report impossible123 December 23, 2020 3:52 PM GMT
The original EU members were acceptable, the enlarged one totally incomprehensible; EU scrounging member states are not relevant nor conducive to future development and prosperity of the Union as witnessed during the present pandemic eg nationalistic and self-prevention.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 23, 2020 3:55 PM GMT
7 nov

Travel to the UK from Denmark has been banned amid mounting concern over an outbreak in the country of a mutation of coronavirus linked to mink, the British government has announced.

Downing Street had already taken action to remove Denmark from the travel corridor, forcing arrivals to quarantine for two weeks from Friday at 4am.

But following a Covid committee meeting on Friday afternoon, the UK government is halting inbound travel from Denmark.

All non-British national or resident travellers who have been in or transited through Denmark in the past 14 days will be denied entry into the UK.
Report Foinavon December 23, 2020 4:01 PM GMT
France has interrupted legitimate trade by imposing new conditions without notice. Perishable goods are going to waste. I hope the suppliers and customers can sue for compensation. Likewise the haulage companies and their drivers who can't return home.
Report bigpoppapump December 23, 2020 4:03 PM GMT
sovereign nations are going to do what's best for their people I guess.  Think we should be consistent with our principals to be fair, bit embarrassing for some folk on here.
Report bigpoppapump December 23, 2020 4:06 PM GMT
good for us to get used to our new diminished status though. Bizarre that more sovereignty means less power.  Independence means we depend on a Union we can no longer influence.

All so confusing, almost as if we cannot change our geography no matter how hard we wish we could.

C'mon let's all screw our eyes tight, and really concentrate on the UK teritory not being a small island off Europe.  See if we can make it be somewhere else through the sheer power of our wishful thinking...

After 3, all together, 1,2,3.....
Report bigpoppapump December 23, 2020 4:15 PM GMT
without the UK, the EU is roughly 450m souls to our 70m, or 6 and a half times bigger.  They have more power than we do.  We also - it goes without saying - are strategically surrounded by the EU (France to the South, Denmark to the East, Ireland to the West).  That's simple geography.  We require good relations with our neighbours and the frequency with which Johnson goes on tv and uses empty platitudes like 'our friends and neighbours' should not confuse folk that they view us in that light.  We are seen for what we are; hypocrites who want our cake and eat it.  We are going to need to grow up, stop blaming others for our own recklessness, and accept our new mid-tier status.

Amd when there's food shortages, it's Remainers to the front of the queue, which is only fair.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 23, 2020 4:17 PM GMT
Food could have gone on ferry and driven away at other end.

Still, you keep making stuff uo
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 23, 2020 4:19 PM GMT
Could have gone to Calais via Australia, but not Sydney.

Raab knows, innit
Report Johnny The Guesser December 23, 2020 4:26 PM GMT
Being a small island just off Europe served us all pretty nicely in the past.
Report Johnny The Guesser December 23, 2020 4:41 PM GMT
Why do so many still persist in continuing the Leave or Remain debate ? Move on. That ship has sailed.  It's done. The mature approach now would be for everybody to unite to ensure that we get the best deal moving forward, and then working towards making that a success.
Very sad that so many small minded souls are actually willing Brexit to "fail" , just so they can say " I told you so " - regardless of the economic consequences that others might suffer.
We gave Remain at least 40 years. Don't start bleating before we have even effectively left. Bite your tongue  for at least 10 years , then your views might carry some clout.
Report Foinavon December 23, 2020 4:46 PM GMT
Dover ro-ro Ferries require the tractor unit to go with the load it's the way they and the ports are set up, there is just a one-way ramp. What else are you going to make up?
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 23, 2020 4:49 PM GMT
Are there no lorry drivers in France these days?
Report Foinavon December 23, 2020 4:56 PM GMT
Having a tractor unit going back and forth to load and unload containers would take forever. Are there hundreds of spare tractor units with drivers waiting at Calais?
The idea I proposed was drivers tested and quarantined on arrival in France, It would require the haulage companies to have spare drivers available as the trailers can not be parked for any length of time. Macron had excluded the drivers so can't be done. At least he has been persuaded to see sense and accept driver testing before departure, I don't think the idea came from him.
Report Foinavon December 23, 2020 4:59 PM GMT
The damage has been done and I feel sorry for the Eastern European drivers who won't now be home for Christmas.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 23, 2020 5:06 PM GMT
They've had 3 days, Shirley for a £250,000 shipment
you can drive it on and pick it up at other end if
It's perishable.

If not then they really ain't bothered
Report Foinavon December 23, 2020 5:13 PM GMT
It's not up to the haulage company they are in the hands of the police, the port and the ferry operator and that includes the French side too.
Report Foinavon December 23, 2020 5:17 PM GMT
Hello. I've got an expensive container load of prawns stuck on the M20. Can you change all your procedures to suit me, please?
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 23, 2020 5:21 PM GMT
So it's not the French government then
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 23, 2020 5:25 PM GMT
The ferries and Eurotunnel are shipping unaccompanied
freight, so for £250,000 cargo I can't load it and pick
it up other end... Like all the rest of unaccompanied freight...
Report layingisthewayforward December 23, 2020 5:42 PM GMT
The shelves in my local supermarket were all full, just like the cupboards in my kitchen. But the op knows best Crazy
Report irishone December 25, 2020 4:09 PM GMT
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/17/british-government-foo...
Report dukeofpuke December 26, 2020 1:08 AM GMT
When will the food start running out ?

Dont worry Marcus will sort it out
Report dukeofpuke December 26, 2020 1:09 AM GMT
Check the media loads of rotten turkeys sold this year
Report Whisperingdeath December 26, 2020 1:42 AM GMT
How could we run out of cauliflower?

I hate cauliflower

Thank you to all the panic buyers who bought cauliflower and also lettuce in winter. God bless you.

Great marketing ploy by Sainsbury’s to get rid of their over supply of cauliflower and lettuce!
Report impossible123 December 26, 2020 11:43 AM GMT
No worries. Less people, more share.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com