Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Kelly
04 Nov 20 23:47
| Topic/replies: 8,517 | Blogger: Kelly's blog
May take a little while to ratify , but should happen .  It will take a lot longer than 4 years though to rectify the damage Trump has done domestically and world wide to the American dream .

One realistic Republican commentator this evening ventured the opinion that Trump might be the last Republican President for a long time . That would be a fitting legacy for his term in office . People should be careful about who they vote for .

Governments traditionally get voted out , that's what looks to have happened this time . Biden is no world beater , and the profiles of prospective presidents needs to be updated , just as the current out dated electoral system in America needs a fresh approach .
Pause Switch to Standard View The nightmare is nearly over.
Show More
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 4, 2020 11:51 PM GMT
4 more years of Cummings in uk
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 4, 2020 11:53 PM GMT
I said to Mrs that if trump got second term
He might become last republican president.

There are plenty of decent men in rep party.

Standing up now likely to boost profile.
Report thegiggilo November 4, 2020 11:58 PM GMT
The Squad need to stat busting some neo liberal ass...Cool
Report mecca November 5, 2020 12:56 AM GMT
IMO the nightmare might be just about to begin.......... I hope not, but someone might be bumping this thread in a couple of years time, when the US is embroiled in more pointless wars and your $ is worth next to nothing
Report edy November 5, 2020 1:24 AM GMT
Tucker will put the presidency back into Republican hands in 2024.

mecca • November 5, 2020 12:56 AM GMT
IMO the nightmare might be just about to begin.......... I hope not, but someone might be bumping this thread in a couple of years time, when the US is embroiled in more pointless wars and your $ is worth next to nothing

buy €
Report edy November 5, 2020 1:25 AM GMT
Though there's nothing like a good war (ideally on foreign soil) to boost the economy.
Report shiny new shoes please November 5, 2020 2:37 AM GMT
ref to OP.
It's only getting started.
Now who let him out of his bubble.ExcitedLaugh
Report breadnbutter November 5, 2020 8:31 AM GMT
OP talking rubbish, who is the anonymous Republican he is quoting?

Trump has more votes (4m+) than he did in 2016.

More black votes as well.
Report jollyswagman November 5, 2020 8:59 AM GMT
eric bolling, formerly of fox news, was on newsnight opining that there may not be another rep president in his lifetime due to the changing demographics of the usa, i think he misunderstands the changes happening as evidenced by where trump got some of his extra voters from.

trump is just a symptom, unless the democrats accept that the policies of two of their presidents (clinton and obama) helped in the destruction of living standards of working people then they will probably carry on with more of the same which will give another populist a chance to become potus.
Report breadnbutter November 5, 2020 10:10 AM GMT
You Kelly?Laugh

Good enough answer
Report edy November 5, 2020 10:55 AM GMT

Nov 5, 2020 -- 2:59AM, jollyswagman wrote:

eric bolling, formerly of fox news, was on newsnight opining that there may not be another rep president in his lifetime due to the changing demographics of the usa, i think he misunderstands the changes happening as evidenced by where trump got some of his extra voters from.trump is just a symptom, unless the democrats accept that the policies of two of their presidents (clinton and obama) helped in the destruction of living standards of working people then they will probably carry on with more of the same which will give another populist a chance to become potus.

Is it really majorily/primarily the economic policies that make the landlocked portions of the USA go for Republicans/Trump? The trickle down economics that left Oklahoma unable to pay its teachers for a full school week (long before the pandemic)?

I think it is primarily social stuff. Men feeling under siege, the demoncrats cancelling christmas, abortion rights (or non-rights) etc.

Report jollyswagman November 5, 2020 11:09 AM GMT
a combination i suppose, but i would frame the social stuff differently, identity politics, etc is a turn off for lots of people and that doesnt make them bad people.
Report edy November 5, 2020 11:17 AM GMT
Why is it only derogatorily called "identity politics" when the liberal luvvie loons do it, but the ethno-nationalists, the ultra patriots, the hyperpartisan trump culters, the white men that obsess over being under threat white men, the social media alt-right grifters that shame everyone non-compliant as traitor quislings, the QAnoners...etc...are cool? Not for you probably, but for those that obsess over the lib luvvie loon identity politics...when largely they themselves obsess over national/ethnic/gender/partisan/religious/conspiracy cult identity all day long.

I always found ethno-nationalist members of the movement called The Identitarians obsess over leftie identity politics a bit weird.
Report edy November 5, 2020 11:23 AM GMT
It's also these hardliners that are generally less willing to think in win-win patters. For them it's them vs. the others.

Hardline Thatcherites vs. moderate One Nation Tories or other parties. The Hardlines Thatcherites will be least inclined to for coalitions or make compromises, they are digging into their identity, yet bizarrely the hardline brexit tories will probably be most keen of them all to point out leftie identity politics.
Report edy November 5, 2020 11:28 AM GMT
Biden was the one who wanted to heal the nation (or so he claims). Trump didn't even attempt to pretend to want to do that. He wants everybody to dig their heels in and further and split the society into two very distinct, hyperpartisan identities.
Report bigpoppapump November 5, 2020 11:34 AM GMT
social/cultural/ethnic, economic, religious, gender, age, education, self-assigned class, family history

reasons people vote as they do.

nowhere in America does everyone vote the same way, so the idea that "the centre bits are pro-Trump" is too generalised.  He gets over the line, State by State, because there's more Republicans in these States and as they've shown, the Republicans will turn out in huge numbers to vote when there's a fear of a Democrat landslide.  Don't be fooled though - actual pro-Trump sentiment (where they think he's the best leader they could have) is in the 20% range of Americans (roughly half of Republicans).  They're not all stupid.  Loads are though, obviously Laugh
Report jollyswagman November 5, 2020 11:39 AM GMT
Cry not for me probably  -   not for me obviously.

the loons are a sub set, albeit possibly quite a large one in the usa but there are plenty of people who dont feel comfortable with there now being 96 different options for a person's sex.

the worrying thing is about 25% of americans agree with that qanon madness, funny to see a returning poster here who is fully on board with it.
Report edy November 5, 2020 12:05 PM GMT
the loons are a sub set, albeit possibly quite a large one in the usa but there are plenty of people who dont feel comfortable with there now being 96 different options for a person's sex.

Only three options in Germany Happy ...I think. Sure, it looked a bit weird when I first filled out a firm that asked me if I was "diverse" as gender, but ultimately it doesn't affect me, does it? There are people that are born intersexually/nonbinary - give them the choice. I'd welcome more options. Let people identify as diverse alien timelords on forms if they want.

I don't know how it is in the UK, or the US, but I don't feel bombarded with leftie identity politics (or what I understand of it) in Germany. So maybe I don't even really understand what it's all about. Were the Suffragettes identity politics? The movements to get women the vote and right to play football (very important! Almost exactly 50 years ago women's football stopped being forbidden by the DFB) - were those identity politics or something else? Is wanting legal unions for gay people identity politics?

The way I understand identity (politics), I really honestly feel there's more of it coming from the socially "conservative".
Report Foinavon November 5, 2020 1:12 PM GMT
Don't be dismissive of Timelords, edy. Plain
Report impossible123 November 5, 2020 1:14 PM GMT
Does anyone find the Trump family (on media) repulsive? I do. Eric Trump a sibling of President Trump actually believes his dad has been defrauded of winning the Presidency. He was talking about legal challenges in the courts post results. The family may have wealth, but they come across extremely lighweight and spoilt.

I sincerely hope the world will not be exposed to another dose of the Trump family in the future politically.
Report edy November 5, 2020 1:42 PM GMT
I love time lords and have huge respect for them, Foinavon! Who is your favourite Doctor? I haven't seen much, but I liked Peter Capaldi in the five or so episodes I've seen.
Report Foinavon November 5, 2020 1:58 PM GMT
I haven't watched it since I visited my parents in the 1960s who had it on their then b/w telly on Saturday afternoons. It seemed a bit childish and didn't depict real Timelords.
Report tanglefoot November 5, 2020 2:02 PM GMT
Edy still beating his head against the great ,great Trump wall Laugh
Report edy November 5, 2020 2:08 PM GMT
That's interesting. There was this tennis forumite who was purged in...The Great Purge - doridoru. He was always on about how Dr. Who was so much cooler and scarier before its reboot. Knowing only the post-2005 Doctor Who myself, which is plenty scary to me, I always had the feeling he merely remembered it that way because he was a wee lil doridoru during the days of the old doctor and because he was a very grumpy end-30s fella who always ranted about everything modern being awful. Pictures of old doctors strenghtened my believe that it was a silly ol' show. Now you say it was quite childish and unrealistic in its portrayals of time lords (this is exactly what I thought when I looked at the silly looking time lords before the reboot).

Would anybody like to chime in on old doctor vs. reboot doctor?
Report jollyswagman November 5, 2020 2:10 PM GMT
it was pants before and is still pants now
Report edy November 5, 2020 2:13 PM GMT
Wash your mouth! How dare you talk like that about Britain's greatest cultural good?
Report thegiggilo November 5, 2020 2:16 PM GMT
David Tennent was different gravy,wasn't a huge fan of Dr Who but watched it when he played the part..
Report edy November 5, 2020 2:34 PM GMT
Tennant is probably the biggest name (these days) of those that played The Doctor, right? Liked him on Broadchurch, even if I found him a tad hard to understand at times. Everybody from Britain apart from Jacob Rees-Mogg and The Queen always sounds a bit funny to me. Still far better than the Irish trying to speak English though.

Wanted to watch Love/Hate (praised as Irish "The Wire") with the marvelous Robert Sheehan of Misfits fame, but I didn't understand a ****g word.Cry
Report thegiggilo November 5, 2020 2:49 PM GMT
You mean you didn't understand David Tennent because he's scottish..
Report Foinavon November 5, 2020 2:51 PM GMT
The Irish in general are quite well-spoken. It's the Weegies I can't understand and I'm grateful for subtitles when one is on the telly.
Report edy November 5, 2020 3:04 PM GMT

Nov 5, 2020 -- 8:49AM, thegiggilo wrote:

You mean you didn't understand David Tennent because he's scottish..

....I don't mean to be racist towards the Scottish. My ear simply hasn't been trained for it.

Foinavon • November 5, 2020 2:51 PM GMT
The Irish in general are quite well-spoken. It's the Weegies I can't understand and I'm grateful for subtitles when one is on the telly.

That's what my dear Irish betfair forum friend told me too! He always had the flowerest of languages. One day, we were talking about great Irish tennis players, he told me about Vere St. Leger Goold. I opened that person's wikipedia entry and read

Vere Goold's life after 1883 was wasted on drink and drugs.[5] One day, he was asked by a relative to pay a bill at a dressmaker's shop in the Bayswater section of London that was owned by Marie Giraudin. This French lady, (from most accounts) though not especially beautiful, could charm people when she wanted. It was not too difficult for her to charm Goold, who was from a prominent Irish social family. The accounts of the case are not always in tandem, but she had been married twice before, and she was a woman of expensive tastes. The dressmaker's shop was not a real success, especially as Giraudin apparently borrowed money from many of her customers.

...I only thought to myself: "Yeah alright, that must've been written by an Irish person"

Report the old nanny ;-) November 5, 2020 3:11 PM GMT
The nightmare may only have Just begun , wait till Joe locks everyone up for 6 months Lets see how stable things are then ,Joe must have the old dollar printing presses up and ready ,Or maybe he is going to raise Taxes and get it from the Super Rich ,Hang about that would be him and his Friends and family , perhaps he will pass on that one ,Then again he might not be able to do anything Due to not being  able to get anything past the
house never mind the senate Grin

Old Lefty JOE the man who's vice President actually accused of helping out the FAR RIGHT .I wonder what he did that for ..

The left will be working to have him shifted ASAP , stand by for plenty of Infighting . Get the popcorn out the show is about to begin Grin
Report Kelly November 5, 2020 10:14 PM GMT
No idea who the republican provider of initial concept was , but his credentials seemed OK and he seemed to be talking sense .

The fact that in 2016 and 2020 more voters in USA voted Democrat than Republican re presidency would indicate that there is merit in his thoughts .  King Canute allegedly tried to halt the waves , but we all know what happens . Increasing numbers of younger voters in particular would be a major factor .
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 5, 2020 11:36 PM GMT
Ecclestone may have been best actor to
play Dr who.

Him, Tennant and matt Smith were quite a golden era.

Back in the day it was fun, but
you needed to not look too closely

Some real bad doctors saw it finish

Seems to be heading that way again with
capaldi and what'shername...

The films with Peter crushing are
well worth a look if you like
timelords.
Report Facts November 6, 2020 5:52 AM GMT
William Hartnell. The first and best.
Report the old nanny ;-) November 6, 2020 9:16 AM GMT
Tom Baker for me Laugh WTF happened here Laugh
Report lfc1971 November 6, 2020 9:35 AM GMT
Trump has improved some things, kept other things from getting worse
and screwed up a few things

The end
Report mrtopnotch November 6, 2020 10:30 AM GMT
The people have spoken and the kant is being kicked out of the white house - praise the lord Excited
Report lfc1971 November 6, 2020 10:35 AM GMT
There will always be the lingering doubt , did the people speak
or was this election fraudulent ...
Report mrtopnotch November 6, 2020 10:40 AM GMT
The people spoke - absolutely no proof of fraud. Just sour grapes
Report lfc1971 November 6, 2020 10:46 AM GMT
I would be inclined to agree ... if we hadn’t seen the behaviour of democrats politicians and party activists and voters
over these last four years
That has been out in the open , it raises concern and suspicions when they are involved in the vote ,
especially the postal vote
So that’s reality I’m afraid
Report tanglefoot November 6, 2020 11:12 AM GMT
Tend to agree ,ifc1971,the behaviour of all of the,media and politician has brought the whole idea of democracy into disrepute,not sure how this farce will ever be repaired.
Report impossible123 November 6, 2020 11:33 AM GMT
President Trump may have brought The USA into disrepute during the entire tenancy of his presidency nevertheless I do not believe the integrity and rule of law governing elections have been negatively affected or compromised. I firmly believe President is a megalomaniac and delusional.

Soon, he'll be fired for good!
Report Kelly November 6, 2020 12:44 PM GMT
Trump replaced the Postmaster general in USA a while ago .  Subsequent actions from that source included banning overtime etc which would have an impact on delivering mail .  Machinery was decommissioned also . Trump has been trying to undermine the postal vote system for some time , largely because more Democrats use that route to vote . You cannot effectively intimidate postal voters .

Trump is well informed on what happens on the ground , trouble is if the logical aspect of that info does not suit him , he just bulls ahead with his own flawed logic .

Trump does not know the meaning of the term "democracy" .
Report impossible123 November 6, 2020 1:32 PM GMT
Maybe a relocation to Russia would suit him better; China is not an option given his "etiquette" towards the Chinese officials.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 6, 2020 1:42 PM GMT
He lost because the silent
majority found a voice in Mr Biden.
Report mecca November 7, 2020 7:10 PM GMT
It makes a change for the media to be smug after an election
Report TheGoldenVision November 8, 2020 5:25 PM GMT
What are all the finger tame BBC "comedians" going to do now? Their main source of scorn and ridicule snatched from them... you'd better get your tin-hat ready Boris.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com