Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
InsiderTrader
03 Aug 20 17:00
| Topic/replies: 14,569 | Blogger: InsiderTrader's blog
Joe Biden has delayed naming his vice presidential pick by two weeks amid worries the process has become a mess that has pitted women against woman.

Biden said last week he would announce his running mate the first week of August but that appears unlikely to happen this week as he hasn't narrowed down his pick amid pressure to name a black woman.

But now that's been moved back by two weeks, The Washington Post reported, amid worries from Biden supporters that the process has become 'messier than it should be,' pitting women - and especially black women - against one another.

The former vice president is reportedly going to speak to five or six contenders instead of having the traditional short list of three names. 

And allies of all the contenders are lobbying the former vice president and his campaign to pick the running mate of their choice.

The presumptive Democratic nominee joked last week he would have to escape the TV camera crews that are parked outside of his Wilmington, Delaware, home so he could meet his pick without being caught.

'I'm going to try to figure out how to trick you all so we can meet in person. I've got crews outside my house. I don't think it matters actually. What I said is I'm going to have a choice in the first week in August, and I promise I'll let you know when I do,' he said at a press conference on Tuesday.

At least nearly a dozen women have been named as potential partners for Biden after he vowed to put a woman on the ticket with him. But, in the wake of the demonstrations that sprung up after the death of George Floyd, pressure has increased for him to name a black woman.

And, with that pressure, came an increased scrutiny on the potential female candidates with reports California Senator Kamala Harris is too 'ambitious' to be picked and pressure on Congresswoman Karen Bass to explain her past praise for Scientology and Fidel Castro.

'It's been relentless. It's been unfortunate. But I must say it's been predictable,' Donna Brazile, a former interim chair of the Democratic National Committee, told The Post. 'It's extremely disappointing, because many of these attacks . . . are being made by Democratic men who should know better.'

'I would hope that in this selection process, we are mindful that Black women — and women of color — deserve respect,' she noted.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8588281/Joe-Biden-delays-vice-presidential-pick-TWO-WEEKS.html

^

All I can do is keep opposing Kamala Harris

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 157
By:
politicspunter
When: 03 Aug 20 17:04
News to me.
By:
InsiderTrader
When: 03 Aug 20 17:15
Glad I could be of help pp.
By:
politicspunter
When: 03 Aug 20 17:18
I can only see the header as IT is blocked. Does that mean he is going to announce his VP around the beginning of September?
By:
DanielKoellerer
When: 03 Aug 20 17:31
I.T is there anyone who Biden could select who you'd think could be a good choice for him?

Or anyone he could pick that you wouldn't criticise? Or criticise and suggest it's a bad decision no matter who he picks?
By:
InsiderTrader
When: 03 Aug 20 17:47
I.T is there anyone who Biden could select who you'd think could be a good choice for him?

I don't think there is anyone that is all good. If there was someone it would be delayed again.

Or anyone he could pick that you wouldn't criticise?

I don't there is anyone who is a standout. All the pieces in the media say the negatives of each candidate...

Harris - selfish and attacked Biden in debates on his busing policy.
Rice - Libya.
Bass - comments on Castro were naive at best.
Tammy Duckworth - Not black
Elizabeth Warren - Not black

There is no standout at the top of the market.

Or criticise and suggest it's a bad decision no matter who he picks?

It is a hard choice. I think I would certainly think Bass is a bad pick. The others also all have faults. He is boxed into a corner having to pick a woman and the BLM pressure to pick a black woman.

^

Given all that I am opposing Harris as too short in an open contest where everyone has big faults.

What are your views Dan?
By:
InsiderTrader
When: 03 Aug 20 17:47
* If there was someone it would NOT be delayed again.
By:
DanielKoellerer
When: 03 Aug 20 18:01
I have no idea who he'll pick out of the front 3 in the market.

I think Warren would have been the best choice and it would show that he isn't just picking a black woman for the sake of it / pressure on that call. The strategy of playing it safe seems the strategy which will probably be good enough to win this election (in my opinion) so I doubt he will pick any white woman.
By:
politicspunter
When: 03 Aug 20 18:03
I don't think it will matter much who he picks.
By:
DanielKoellerer
When: 03 Aug 20 18:04
Me neither, so I imagine he'll play it as safe as possible, which I assume is Harris.
By:
InsiderTrader
When: 03 Aug 20 19:00
The best black woman is Rice but has the Libya problem. I bet a little on her.

Biden worked well with her before.

Harris and all the others he does not know at all.

Main bet is to oppose Harris.
By:
InsiderTrader
When: 03 Aug 20 19:00
It matters bigly because of Biden's health issues. Whoever he picks will at the very least be co-President.
By:
timbuctooth
When: 03 Aug 20 20:18
There`s one name that would help him, `michelle`.
By:
politicspunter
When: 03 Aug 20 20:22
I don't think there is any name that would particularly help or hinder him. Over 90% of folks have already decided who they are voting for.
By:
politicspunter
When: 03 Aug 20 20:23
After all, it's not the Vice President you are voting for. Did folks particularly vote for Trump because Mike Pence was his VP elect in 2016 or will they in 2020?
By:
----you-have-to-laugh---
When: 03 Aug 20 20:30
Either of them selecting the right vp could swing a state and could be vital

Why announce it now,... Save the impact
By:
InsiderTrader
When: 03 Aug 20 20:32
Even the most delusional poll junkie trader would surely know that the VP pick for a four year term with a 78 year candidate with 'memory problems' is more important than previous cases.

Why does he think Biden's handlers are taking so long to decide who should be on the VP candidate?

If it was no issue it would have been worked out weeks if not months ago.
By:
lybertyne
When: 03 Aug 20 20:42
May as well pick Mickey Mouse.
By:
politicspunter
When: 03 Aug 20 20:46

Aug 3, 2020 -- 2:30PM, ----you-have-to-laugh--- wrote:

Either of them selecting the right vp could swing a state and could be vitalWhy announce it now,... Save the impact

Well yes that could be right enough but of course it could be a bit swings and roundabouts eg Biden doesn't pick Stacey Abrams, dos it mean it will lessen his chances of winning Georgia?

By:
----you-have-to-laugh---
When: 03 Aug 20 20:48
Micky would be a great pick for either side
By:
politicspunter
When: 03 Aug 20 20:48
Or if he doesn't pick Gretchen Whitmer, could it backfire and voters desert him in Michigan, a top target.
By:
----you-have-to-laugh---
When: 03 Aug 20 20:50
Dunno pp, I think the positive outweighs the negative as long as those not picked
get behind the campaign.
By:
politicspunter
When: 03 Aug 20 20:50
What about Donald Duck? Vote Bide-Donald ! Certain to get a few Trump voters.
By:
politicspunter
When: 03 Aug 20 21:56
I don't put a great deal of thought into these sort of markets, they are completely outwith your control and I usually just look at about half a dozen or so possibles and back the biggest priced ones for the minimum for a fun interest. The lowest price I have is 36, the highest 1000 and I don't think I have a hope of collecting.
By:
the old nanny ;-)
When: 04 Aug 20 18:17
Biden The anti Coal Man  as bad as Maggie Laugh

And pro Iraq war  ,  Blair, comes to mind .

But forget all that ,anything anti trump will do .

Let us not  forget his Civil Rights marching ,or lack of , wot a guy Grin
By:
cooperman
When: 05 Aug 20 10:50
Biden playing Donald like a fiddle. His attack dogs are foaming at the mouth, unable to direct the opp. research bile at an unknown target.
By:
politicspunter
When: 05 Aug 20 11:21
Yep, Trumps team will have dirt on all the candidates but Biden team playing it very cool. I think the plan is to announce the VP pick either a day or two before the Democratic convention or on the first day of it.
By:
darren_discombobulates_sports
When: 05 Aug 20 11:37
saw the hbo interview with Trump yesterday, what a car crash, he doesn't seem very well coached behind the scenes on how to answer questions.
By:
InsiderTrader
When: 06 Aug 20 19:46
The market is hardening on it being Harris vs Rice.

Both very interesting individuals.

Having got on Rice at 6s I will not be topping up. Will continue to oppose Harris as I just cannot see someone as selfish as she is being picked. The voters really disliked her in the primaries.
By:
InsiderTrader
When: 06 Aug 20 19:47
I guess the poll junkies sit out this market as they have no way to assess who will win just using their polling stats.
By:
Jack Bauer '24'
When: 06 Aug 20 20:30
Harris has always been most likely despite potentially harming her chances by going after Biden in the first debate. I have always had Rice down as his choice for Secretary of State.
By:
Jack Bauer '24'
When: 07 Aug 20 02:44
The voters really disliked her in the primaries

She was polling well before and after the first debate where she initially got a bounce and then many people were turned off her after it became clear the attack on Biden was a calculated move with merchandise ready for sale. 

Then Tulsi wiped the floor with her in a later debate and she was done. The attack on Biden could well cost her and not just because some in the Biden camp may not have forgiven her but because it also provides ammunition for Trump.

That said, I think the market has it right, it's probably between Harris and Rice with Demmings next best so I would keep them all onside.
By:
Jack Bauer '24'
When: 07 Aug 20 03:35
Big move for Rice right now.
By:
politicspunter
When: 07 Aug 20 07:52
It's a fun money market but nothing more as you could get badly stung. There have been some weird and wonderful picks recently, particularly Sarah Palin.
By:
cooperman
When: 07 Aug 20 07:58
According to Donny, Joe hates God and Guns so Palin an outsider. Wink
By:
InsiderTrader
When: 07 Aug 20 09:28
A fun money market with $2.4m traded!

No it is a market for people who can think outside the box about politics without waiting for the latest fake poll to guide them.
By:
aaronh
When: 07 Aug 20 10:00
who can think outside the box about politics

not you then
By:
InsiderTrader
When: 07 Aug 20 10:34

Aug 7, 2020 -- 4:00AM, aaronh wrote:

who can think outside the box about politicsnot you then

Have you read the whole thread pal?

By:
politicspunter
When: 07 Aug 20 10:41
Basically, this is a market for fun guessers, without putting more than a few pounds on here and there. There is no solid facts to base any judgement on, just the usual wild twitter rumours etc. As I have said before, there has been some totally unexpected picks in the past and it's a fairly personal decision for the presidential candidate.
By:
InsiderTrader
When: 07 Aug 20 11:34
If you believe that to be the case PP that surely you oppose the lower priced ones. Same as any market.
Page 1 of 4  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com