Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
DanielKoellerer
30 May 20 23:23
| Topic/replies: 1,274 | Blogger: DanielKoellerer's blog
All for it. Standing up to China more in the recent weeks and I'm in no doubt that such HK residents would bring a lot to the UK.

However, a little confused....

I thought we were at 'breaking point' in 2016...
Pause Switch to Standard View 3m Hong Kong residents 'eligible' for...
Show More
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- May 31, 2020 12:05 PM BST
Ideal replacements for 3 million europeans

Can they pick fruit?
Report DanielKoellerer May 31, 2020 1:01 PM BST
The Brexiteers won’t like that - they look less like us than our European counterparts.
Report impossible123 May 31, 2020 1:11 PM BST
Yep, including the Hong Kong government "officials" carrying out the wishes on the autocratic and un-democratic government of China and President Xi.

But, I think the majority of the Hong Kong Chinese will be an asset to the UK given the work ethics of their fellow country men/women and non-dependency on benefits. They are also the most law abiding minority group in the UK; merely replacing the Eastern Europeans with Hong Kong Chinese.
Report dukeofpuke June 2, 2020 6:16 PM BST
if you had to put them in one place where would you put them
Report dukeofpuke June 2, 2020 6:20 PM BST
i'm thinking of felixstowe harwich area would be ideal as its a port like hong kong not too far from london
Report Angoose June 2, 2020 6:38 PM BST
Could easily get them in to the Jenrick portfolio of properties.
Report Shab June 2, 2020 10:45 PM BST
We are at breaking point for scroungers.

Anyone willing to work, contribute to society and abide by the law has always been welcome.

I have not seen one Brexiteer say this is a bad idea. Not one. Kinda kills another Remoaner lie.
Report jollyswagman June 2, 2020 10:52 PM BST
shab you do not speak for all leavers, thanks. i dont wont millions of people or even hundreds of thousands turning up here.

as far as i am concerned the scroungers are the same group as ever, the parasitical financial types.
Report Shab June 2, 2020 10:54 PM BST
I wasn't.
Report jollyswagman June 2, 2020 10:55 PM BST
it is a bad idea, hth
Report dukeofpuke June 2, 2020 11:06 PM BST
you're missing the point give the hong kongers their own country here a bit like israel in the middle east no one will mind another 3 million
Report dukeofpuke June 2, 2020 11:07 PM BST
just think how cheap iphones will become
Report jollyswagman June 2, 2020 11:08 PM BST
and where will that be please? i think you will find that there are more than a few people in the middle east who do mind israel.
Report dukeofpuke June 2, 2020 11:13 PM BST

Jun 2, 2020 -- 5:08PM, jollyswagman wrote:

and where will that be please? i think you will find that there are more than a few people in the middle east who do mind israel.

dukeofpuke • June 2, 2020 6:20 PM BST
i'm thinking of felixstowe harwich area would be ideal as its a port like hong kong not too far from london

i was thinking here seems ideal

Report jollyswagman June 2, 2020 11:20 PM BST
Laugh

as far away from london as possible please, i have nothing against them but we are already overflowing.

scotland seems more appropriate imo.
Report dukeofpuke June 2, 2020 11:32 PM BST
i suppose its a tad cold but if wee jimmy gets liberated then trident goes they can move into the Clyde naval base
Report jollyswagman June 2, 2020 11:37 PM BST
3 million people added to 8 million, what could go wrong? Laugh

i shouldnt joke, i havent a clue what will happen if the chinese communist party carries on with its present course.
Report dukeofpuke June 2, 2020 11:49 PM BST

Jun 2, 2020 -- 5:37PM, jollyswagman wrote:

3 million people added to 8 million, what could go wrong? i shouldnt joke, i havent a clue what will happen if the chinese communist party carries on with its present course.

they will have their own country with borders language customs etc, people of chinese ethnicity tend not to mix they are very insular new hong kong could then play in the euros and even enter eurovision

Report thegiggilo June 3, 2020 1:10 AM BST
Don't tell the brexit extremists,it will be the last straw!!
Report Foinavon June 3, 2020 8:27 AM BST
What has the situation in Hong Kong or the status of its citizens got to do with Brexit?
Please explain.
Report unitedbiscuits June 3, 2020 8:46 AM BST
There are about 350,000 holders of BNO passports in Hong Kong and another 2.5 million are eligible for them, Johnson said. Johnson repeated Britain’s pledge to give British National Overseas passport-holders in Hong Kong a path to British citizenship - allowing them to settle in the United Kingdom.

Brexit was won on immigration fears, according to Dominic Cummings. Leave campaigns exploited fears about unsustainable migration numbers.
Report unitedbiscuits June 3, 2020 8:58 AM BST
So, swapping 3m EU citizens for 3m HK citizens doesn't help concerns of the Leave voters.

Shab doesn't need any further schooling on this thread but his assertion that (sic) "Leavers will love Hong Kong immigrants because they are resourceful," is about a perfect inversion of the impulse that mobilised the Leave vote: we're kicking out Polish plumbers because they're better than us.
Report PorcupineorPineapple June 3, 2020 10:31 AM BST
Those 10.45-10.52 posts from last night are things of beauty.
Report impossible123 June 3, 2020 4:50 PM BST
I think the Chinese community here do not live in clusters; do not speak in their own lingo at their place of work eg non-Chinese supermarkets/restaurants; behave arrogantly; impose their custom, tradition and religion on others; commit benefit and online frauds; crimes; involve in politics; media; accuse other of Chinesephobia; etc.

I think the Chinese just want to do business and be left to lead a peaceful life. And, it's been reflected in their acceptance in non-Chinese communities and countries eg they have never been expelled from any of their host country.
Report unitedbiscuits June 3, 2020 5:37 PM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cgeXd5kRDg

6 1/2 years ago: "Bloody Poles, coming over here, being all Polish, mending things.."
Report Whisperingdeath June 3, 2020 6:33 PM BST
I think the Chinese just want to do business and be left to lead a peaceful life

That's true particularly with regard to the importation of opium although quite a few have been banged up for possession and dealing cokeWink

That's all i got to say about that except nobody got chopped up if they paid on time.
Report Foinavon June 3, 2020 6:59 PM BST
Brexit was won on immigration fears, according to Dominic Cummings. Leave campaigns exploited fears about unsustainable migration numbers.

I'm sure some were swayed by the immigration issue just as some were swayed the other way by Government propaganda and "Project Fear".
For hardline brexiteers like myself, neither issue was an overriding factor. Our concern is political, we don't want this country to become a province of a bureaucratic superstate, to see Ken Clarke's dream of Westminster reduced to the status of a village council fulfilled. This is not something we voted for on a whim, we have been hoping for a referendum for decades.
I doubt we will be replacing 3 million Europeans with Chinese, most of the domiciled EU citizens are staying, any Chinese from Hong Kong will be in addition.
Report unitedbiscuits June 3, 2020 7:07 PM BST
In February 2017, Mr Cummings suggested the bus was one of the key reasons why the Leave campaign was successful.

“Would we have won without immigration? No. Would we have won without £350m/NHS? All our research and the close result strongly suggests no,” he said. Would we have won by spending our time talking about trade and the single market? No way.”

Immigration did not win Foinavon's vote, but Leave would not have won without exploiting immigration fears. Once you co-opt the vote of those people, your Govt is in thrall to them. The idiots have taken over the assylum.
Report metro john June 3, 2020 7:45 PM BST
Them Tories did it again, you could not make it up, that's 3 million middle-class British workers (if that exists?) under-qualified and out of work lol LaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report metro john June 3, 2020 8:21 PM BST
And a new possibility for a conspiracy theory, from within this man's mind. If you think about it geographically, it would be an upgrade from Hong Kong, Storm and Earthquake free til now on the whole?, So we then have the Hong kong educated from both sides of the same system, leading the way in how it is done?? with the possibility of new homes for the worthless in Hong kong???? This is Wealth commanding geographic locality. RIP LOW CLASSES!!!!
Report Shab June 3, 2020 10:18 PM BST

Jun 3, 2020 -- 2:58AM, unitedbiscuits wrote:

So, swapping 3m EU citizens for 3m HK citizens doesn't help concerns of the Leave voters. Shab doesn't need any further schooling on this thread but his assertion that (sic) "Leavers will love Hong Kong immigrants because they are resourceful," is about a perfect inversion of the impulse that mobilised the Leave vote: we're kicking out Polish plumbers because they're better than us.

And what I actually said:

"Anyone willing to work, contribute to society and abide by the law has always been welcome."

Lying ****.

Report dukeofpuke June 3, 2020 11:30 PM BST
I think its a great idea by the tories to potentially offer homes here to 3.5 million hong kongers think about it you would expect most of them to vote tory therefore scuppering Labours plan to outvote the tories by immigration this would put Labour out the picture for at least a generation unless Labour do their own lets offer (if they get in power) citizenship to the whole of Pakistan.
Report unitedbiscuits June 4, 2020 8:49 AM BST
"Anyone willing to work, contribute to society and abide by the law has always been welcome."

Not with (most) Leave voters, Shab. Polish people, foe example, came over here and did the job better than us, and Leave voters paid them back by making them unwelcome (big generalisation but the truth is in there, rather than Shab's assertion).  VoteLeave exploited the resentment caused by the people who lost out. "Coming over her, being all Polish, mending things, doing our jobs better than us.."
Report jed.davison June 4, 2020 9:01 AM BST
You still - despite my repeated and patient attempts to help you understand - fail to grasp that all your imagined reasons for the Leave vote, which enable you, in your despicable sneering manner, to denigrate people whose opinions you deem worthless, are a hill of beans next to the noble English desire for self-determination.
Report unitedbiscuits June 4, 2020 9:06 AM BST
In February 2017, Mr Cummings suggested the bus was one of the key reasons why the Leave campaign was successful.

“Would we have won without immigration? No.
Would we have won without £350m/NHS? All our research and the close result strongly suggests no,” he said. Would we have won by spending our time talking about trade and the single market? No way.”

Immigration did not win Foinavon's vote, but Leave would not have won without exploiting immigration fears. Once you co-opt the vote of those people, your Govt is in thrall to them. The idiots have taken over the assylum.

Just copied and pasted this from yesterday, jed, but have helpfully stressed the bit that applies here for you.
Report jed.davison June 4, 2020 9:15 AM BST
I would imagine that had Cummings had Obama's number, or had the opportunity to spend £9m leafleting to panic the nation into voting his way, or had the entire machinery of state working for his preferred outcome, he might not have needed his simple bus.
D
Of course immigration was a factor, but as Cummings said, it was only a factor.

I'll ask you a question. In an imaginary world where the question was simply asked one day and answered the next, and there was no campaigning - for or against - allowed, which way would the vote have gone?
Report jed.davison June 4, 2020 9:22 AM BST
There are millions of people who don't give a monkeys either way on any given political topic. Every single one of these people received the pamphlet warning them of economic Armageddon in the event of us leaving.

I contend that the coercion of even a small percentage of these people into voting Remain changed more minds than any other single factor.
Report unitedbiscuits June 4, 2020 9:38 AM BST
I would imagine that had Cummings had Obama's number, or had the opportunity to spend £9m leafleting to panic the nation into voting his way, or had the entire machinery of state working for his preferred outcome, he might not have needed his simple bus.
The Remain campaign was diabolical but Leave campaign wasn't naturally disadvantaged as they would have you believe. To start with, they had two campaigns Farage's one for the things the official one couldn't quite make explicit)- and they had the huge advantage of being able to promise anything to anyone, which they exploited quite readily. Peter Hargreaves sent a Brexit mailshot to 9m people and what is £9m balanced against 3 anti-EU messages daily for thirty years to 1 1/2 m readers? And that's just The Sun. As for POTUS intervention, there are now some very nervous Govt strategists contemplating for the first time Brexit without Trump.

Of course immigration was a factor, but as Cummings said, it was only a factor. A deciding factor, according to the best authority.

I'll ask you a question. In an imaginary world where the question was simply asked one day and answered the next, and there was no campaigning - for or against - allowed, which way would the vote have gone?

The disenchanted, resentful, unhappy, unlucky-at-chess would vote for change because their underlying assumption is that, if they fail again, someone will pull them out of the s**t.
It's nothing to do with "the noble English desire for self-determination" (with its implied insult to the other countries of the UK). I once asked for an example from 40+ years of your experience of EU membership when you felt it had impinged on your individual freedom; you had nothing then.
Certainly, in my lifetime, I have never felt compromised by being a citizen of the EU. I know the world is much bigger than Europe; there is no greater fan of the USA, but you're right jed, I just don't understand that statement, except as an alibi for much much baser impulses.
Report unitedbiscuits June 4, 2020 9:44 AM BST
“We want you back”

PM Boris Johnson invites European workers who left the UK as lockdown began to return now it is being eased and retail sector is reopening

LaughLaughLaugh
Report jed.davison June 4, 2020 9:50 AM BST
Another self-righteous diatribe, but no attempt to answer a simple question.

And again, your argument about "what individual rights etc" is a straw man. You're looking for a tangible when the real issue is about that which is inherently intangible. The Englishman, save in extremis, does not feel common cause with his mainland European neighbours, despite - and to some degree as a direct result of - the best attempts of your fellow travellers to foist such a feeling on him.
Report jed.davison June 4, 2020 9:52 AM BST
And my invocation of the Englishman is not any kind of attempt to impugn my fellow British citizens, it is merely an acknowledgement of the fact that Brexit was overwhelmingly an English project and outcome.
Report unitedbiscuits June 4, 2020 10:00 AM BST
I'll answer your question again, jed: In a blind poll, Leave would win, because people would see it as a free-bet. Even if it came in his pants, the Leave voter has no business cultivating an "inherently intangible noble desire for self-determination," he should be on his knees, apologising for the mess he has caused.
Report Foinavon June 4, 2020 10:37 AM BST
unitedbiscuits
unitedbiscuits04 Jun 20 07:49Joined: 27 Jan 02 | Topic/replies: 13,754 | Blogger: unitedbiscuits's blog

Not with (most) Leave voters, Shab.

Just a couple of points regarding the Cummings quote.
1) There are plenty of people, many on here, who say that you can't necessarily believe everything that Cummings says, are you one of them?
2) If what Cummings said about the immigration issue tipping the Brexit vote is true, it doesn't necessarily follow that this is an issue with most leave voters. We were not asked to give a reason for how we voted on the ballot paper so no one knows.
Mrs May thought this was the case and thought she could keep us tied to the EU politically and economically if she could get assurances regarding welfare aspects of free movement. We saw the response to that when Tory popularity dropped into single figures in the polls and in the EU parliamentary election.
Report unitedbiscuits June 4, 2020 10:51 AM BST
1) Yes, I think Cummings has a compulsion to be forthright, part of his character. At the same time, as the rest of that quote shows, he's very clever about what his side shouldn't say, or shouldn't say at a given point.

2) The OP mentions "breaking point." VL had a fraudulent map with Dad's Army arrows representing 80m Turks progress across Europe to the white cliffs of Dover (Cummings has a whole screed about the "Turkey" campaign). Again, it's when you say these things to trigger concern. Not now , obviously, as Johnson is begging for EU workers to come back; for now anyway.
Report jed.davison June 4, 2020 10:55 AM BST
History will judge Mrs May well on the issue imo.

Her path most closely followed the exact position expressed in the Referendum. The mere fact that her path triggered extremists from both sides shows it can't have been far wrong. There was no desire for a nasty divorce, apart from among the purists
Report unitedbiscuits June 4, 2020 10:57 AM BST
Sorry, got to close the window, there's the sound of a reversing lorry coming from somewhere..
Report Foinavon June 4, 2020 6:27 PM BST
Had you referred to Mrs May's Florence speech I might have agreed with you, however, that's not what she ended up with so I have to disagree.
Report unitedbiscuits June 4, 2020 6:48 PM BST
Personally, I could never despise Johnson as I did May.

Because May sacrificed her integrity to pursue something she believed was wrong.
Report Foinavon June 4, 2020 8:16 PM BST
Halleluja, we agree on something, Biscuits, although from different perspectives. The despicable Mrs May.
Report cryoftruth June 4, 2020 9:14 PM BST
History will judge Mrs May well on the issue imo.

Her path most closely followed the exact position expressed in the Referendum. The mere fact that her path triggered extremists from both sides shows it can't have been far wrong. There was no desire for a nasty divorce, apart from among the purists
:

I think that is a very fair summary. However she knackered her chances of a decent sensible Brexit as voted for the the UK people by the unnecessary general election and shocking campaign that made even Corbin look electable. That is not so easy to forgive.
Now we have the asylum taken over by the knuckle dragging toads and a highly damaging no deal brexit highly likely because of Cummingsgate.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- June 5, 2020 5:27 PM BST
May's path did not represent what people voted for.

Although its never been determined what it was that people voted for.

Her sloganising early in her terms of office suggested she knew
exactly that.

Trying to find words to fill the vacuum has been beyond any brexiteer
Report jed.davison June 6, 2020 7:46 AM BST
Funny thread - one's point that Mrs May united the extremists proven as UB and Foinavon come together in their shared
loathing of an overpromoted well-meaning housewife.

UB, far from reversing, I made the same exact point several months ago.

YHTL, it is easily determined what people voted for, except by those who do not wish to face the simple fact that they voted to leave the EU. The obsession with why they voted to leave is nonsensical, would you really expect over 17m people to make a decision for exactly the same reason? I'm sure Remain voters all had their own interpretation of why we should remain, but very few people have lain awake at night attempting to microanalyse those nuances of opinion.

Again though we come back to the same basic mindset which permeates all your posts, all UB's posts, and most of the main reason why Fundamentalist Remainers still can not accept what happened: You do not believe those who voted Leave should even be allowed to vote, still less that their vote should equal yours in weight.

Ironic really, when a six-year-old could run rhetorical rings around you all.
Report DanielKoellerer July 1, 2020 2:35 PM BST
Up to three million Hong Kong residents are to be offered the chance to settle in the UK and ultimately apply for citizenship, Boris Johnson has said.
Report DanielKoellerer July 1, 2020 2:35 PM BST
So much for 'breaking point' in 2016 then...
Report moondan July 1, 2020 2:43 PM BST
Boris and co loves a bit of cheap labour.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- July 1, 2020 3:00 PM BST
Ironic really, when a six-year-old could run rhetorical rings around you all

Methinks jed is using words incorrectly, again.
Report dambuster July 2, 2020 12:51 PM BST
Everytime a foreign criminal comes out of prison, swap him with a HK citizen who already has a job lined up over here.
Report darren_discombobulates_sports July 2, 2020 2:26 PM BST
thought the idea of Brexit was immigration control, 3 million is more than cities like Liverpool, Birmingham, Sheffield combined.
Report moondan July 2, 2020 2:57 PM BST
I would not worry, a lot of these people are highly skilled and the UK would not be high on their list.
Report unbiased July 2, 2020 4:27 PM BST
All the "bigging up" of what a great addition to this already swamped and bulging at the seams country,with all its problems due to being overpopulated these Hong Kong citizens would be is beyond belief.
  And as for posters like Impossible123 saying how law abiding they are,then try to find the stats for illegals deported after found working in Chinese restaurants.I can assure him that many many raids result in illegals being discovered all over the country.
  The NHS is at breaking point,the roads are struggling to absorb the ever in creasing traffic,schools are struggling to cope,green belt land is being destroyed in ordedr to b uiold "low cost affordable housing",we are unable to feed the population without importing food yet many on here say we should welcome them.WELL NOT ME.
      HOUSE FULL- NO VACANCIES !!!!!!!!!!
Report saddo July 2, 2020 4:50 PM BST
moondan 02 Jul 20 14:57 
I would not worry, a lot of these people are highly skilled and the UK would not be high on their list.

That would be the worry. Australia will only take skilled ones in, and I suspect Canada will require skills or sponsorship from family. We'll possibly end up with some skilled people, and most of the ones that no one else sees as beneficial to their economy.
Report macarony July 3, 2020 2:43 PM BST
3m Hong Kong residents 'eligible' for UK citizenship

Strange call what with the country been in the state its in  must be about money, skills and also information
Report tashkent terror July 3, 2020 11:13 PM BST
I know at least one family that won't be taking up the offer, they certainly won't be welcome in the Wigan area.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com