Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 63 comments are related to the topic:
3m Hong Kong residents 'eligible' for UK citizenship

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 63
By:
jed.davison
When: 04 Jun 20 09:50
Another self-righteous diatribe, but no attempt to answer a simple question.

And again, your argument about "what individual rights etc" is a straw man. You're looking for a tangible when the real issue is about that which is inherently intangible. The Englishman, save in extremis, does not feel common cause with his mainland European neighbours, despite - and to some degree as a direct result of - the best attempts of your fellow travellers to foist such a feeling on him.
By:
jed.davison
When: 04 Jun 20 09:52
And my invocation of the Englishman is not any kind of attempt to impugn my fellow British citizens, it is merely an acknowledgement of the fact that Brexit was overwhelmingly an English project and outcome.
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 04 Jun 20 10:00
I'll answer your question again, jed: In a blind poll, Leave would win, because people would see it as a free-bet. Even if it came in his pants, the Leave voter has no business cultivating an "inherently intangible noble desire for self-determination," he should be on his knees, apologising for the mess he has caused.
By:
Foinavon
When: 04 Jun 20 10:37
unitedbiscuits
unitedbiscuits04 Jun 20 07:49Joined: 27 Jan 02 | Topic/replies: 13,754 | Blogger: unitedbiscuits's blog
"Anyone willing to work, contribute to society and abide by the law has always been welcome."

Not with (most) Leave voters, Shab.

Just a couple of points regarding the Cummings quote.
1) There are plenty of people, many on here, who say that you can't necessarily believe everything that Cummings says, are you one of them?
2) If what Cummings said about the immigration issue tipping the Brexit vote is true, it doesn't necessarily follow that this is an issue with most leave voters. We were not asked to give a reason for how we voted on the ballot paper so no one knows.
Mrs May thought this was the case and thought she could keep us tied to the EU politically and economically if she could get assurances regarding welfare aspects of free movement. We saw the response to that when Tory popularity dropped into single figures in the polls and in the EU parliamentary election.
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 04 Jun 20 10:51
1) Yes, I think Cummings has a compulsion to be forthright, part of his character. At the same time, as the rest of that quote shows, he's very clever about what his side shouldn't say, or shouldn't say at a given point.

2) The OP mentions "breaking point." VL had a fraudulent map with Dad's Army arrows representing 80m Turks progress across Europe to the white cliffs of Dover (Cummings has a whole screed about the "Turkey" campaign). Again, it's when you say these things to trigger concern. Not now , obviously, as Johnson is begging for EU workers to come back; for now anyway.
By:
jed.davison
When: 04 Jun 20 10:55
History will judge Mrs May well on the issue imo.

Her path most closely followed the exact position expressed in the Referendum. The mere fact that her path triggered extremists from both sides shows it can't have been far wrong. There was no desire for a nasty divorce, apart from among the purists
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 04 Jun 20 10:57
Sorry, got to close the window, there's the sound of a reversing lorry coming from somewhere..
By:
Foinavon
When: 04 Jun 20 18:27
Had you referred to Mrs May's Florence speech I might have agreed with you, however, that's not what she ended up with so I have to disagree.
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 04 Jun 20 18:48
Personally, I could never despise Johnson as I did May.

Because May sacrificed her integrity to pursue something she believed was wrong.
By:
Foinavon
When: 04 Jun 20 20:16
Halleluja, we agree on something, Biscuits, although from different perspectives. The despicable Mrs May.
By:
cryoftruth
When: 04 Jun 20 21:14
History will judge Mrs May well on the issue imo.

Her path most closely followed the exact position expressed in the Referendum. The mere fact that her path triggered extremists from both sides shows it can't have been far wrong. There was no desire for a nasty divorce, apart from among the purists
:

I think that is a very fair summary. However she knackered her chances of a decent sensible Brexit as voted for the the UK people by the unnecessary general election and shocking campaign that made even Corbin look electable. That is not so easy to forgive.
Now we have the asylum taken over by the knuckle dragging toads and a highly damaging no deal brexit highly likely because of Cummingsgate.
By:
----you-have-to-laugh---
When: 05 Jun 20 17:27
May's path did not represent what people voted for.

Although its never been determined what it was that people voted for.

Her sloganising early in her terms of office suggested she knew
exactly that.

Trying to find words to fill the vacuum has been beyond any brexiteer
By:
jed.davison
When: 06 Jun 20 07:46
Funny thread - one's point that Mrs May united the extremists proven as UB and Foinavon come together in their shared
loathing of an overpromoted well-meaning housewife.

UB, far from reversing, I made the same exact point several months ago.

YHTL, it is easily determined what people voted for, except by those who do not wish to face the simple fact that they voted to leave the EU. The obsession with why they voted to leave is nonsensical, would you really expect over 17m people to make a decision for exactly the same reason? I'm sure Remain voters all had their own interpretation of why we should remain, but very few people have lain awake at night attempting to microanalyse those nuances of opinion.

Again though we come back to the same basic mindset which permeates all your posts, all UB's posts, and most of the main reason why Fundamentalist Remainers still can not accept what happened: You do not believe those who voted Leave should even be allowed to vote, still less that their vote should equal yours in weight.

Ironic really, when a six-year-old could run rhetorical rings around you all.
By:
DanielKoellerer
When: 01 Jul 20 14:35
Up to three million Hong Kong residents are to be offered the chance to settle in the UK and ultimately apply for citizenship, Boris Johnson has said.
By:
DanielKoellerer
When: 01 Jul 20 14:35
So much for 'breaking point' in 2016 then...
By:
moondan
When: 01 Jul 20 14:43
Boris and co loves a bit of cheap labour.
By:
----you-have-to-laugh---
When: 01 Jul 20 15:00
Ironic really, when a six-year-old could run rhetorical rings around you all

Methinks jed is using words incorrectly, again.
By:
dambuster
When: 02 Jul 20 12:51
Everytime a foreign criminal comes out of prison, swap him with a HK citizen who already has a job lined up over here.
By:
darren_discombobulates_sports
When: 02 Jul 20 14:26
thought the idea of Brexit was immigration control, 3 million is more than cities like Liverpool, Birmingham, Sheffield combined.
By:
moondan
When: 02 Jul 20 14:57
I would not worry, a lot of these people are highly skilled and the UK would not be high on their list.
By:
unbiased
When: 02 Jul 20 16:27
All the "bigging up" of what a great addition to this already swamped and bulging at the seams country,with all its problems due to being overpopulated these Hong Kong citizens would be is beyond belief.
  And as for posters like Impossible123 saying how law abiding they are,then try to find the stats for illegals deported after found working in Chinese restaurants.I can assure him that many many raids result in illegals being discovered all over the country.
  The NHS is at breaking point,the roads are struggling to absorb the ever in creasing traffic,schools are struggling to cope,green belt land is being destroyed in ordedr to b uiold "low cost affordable housing",we are unable to feed the population without importing food yet many on here say we should welcome them.WELL NOT ME.
      HOUSE FULL- NO VACANCIES !!!!!!!!!!
By:
saddo
When: 02 Jul 20 16:50
moondan 02 Jul 20 14:57 
I would not worry, a lot of these people are highly skilled and the UK would not be high on their list.

That would be the worry. Australia will only take skilled ones in, and I suspect Canada will require skills or sponsorship from family. We'll possibly end up with some skilled people, and most of the ones that no one else sees as beneficial to their economy.
By:
macarony
When: 03 Jul 20 14:43
3m Hong Kong residents 'eligible' for UK citizenship

Strange call what with the country been in the state its in  must be about money, skills and also information
By:
tashkent terror
When: 03 Jul 20 23:13
I know at least one family that won't be taking up the offer, they certainly won't be welcome in the Wigan area.
Page 2 of 2  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com