Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Angoose
30 Oct 19 17:55
| Topic/replies: 24,312 | Blogger: Angoose's blog
Michelle O’Neill has said Sinn Fein is hoping to unseat “an architect of Brexit” - DUP deputy leader Nigel Dodds - as it aims to increase its number of MPs from seven to eight. As the Press Association reports, the Sinn Fein vice president said the December 12 general election will be about maximising the return of pro-Remain candidates.

Standing alongside the party’s North Belfast candidate John Finucane, O’Neill said:

"We will stand in our seven constituencies in which we currently hold seats and we will stand in North Belfast to win that seat.
We believe there is a real opportunity in North Belfast to oust someone who has been architect of Brexit, someone who has actively worked against the interests of people who live here on this island, and John Finucane can provide local representation but also will reflect Ireland’s interests in all of this mess."

Dodds had a majority of 2,081 over Sinn Fein in 2017. But at that election Dodds did not face a challenge from the Ulster Unionist party, which agreed to give the DUP a clear run to maximise the unionist vote. But this time the UUP intends to put up candidates in all 18 of Northern Ireland’s constituency because it does not want to be seen to endorse the DUP’s Brexit stance.

DODDS        Nigel        DUP        21,240   
    FINUCANE        John        Sinn Féin        19,159   
    NELSON        Sam        Alliance        2,475   
    MCAULEY        Martin        SDLP        2,058   
    O'HARA        Malachai George        Green Party        644   
    WEIR        Gemma        WP        360   

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 61
By:
pa lapsy
When: 30 Oct 19 18:38
Neutral in regards Sinn Feins Westminister stance,at least they are consistent,however with a general election in particular rather than local or NI, why don't they get behind the SDLP?

Genuine question,there probably is a reason but i don't know.
By:
lfc1971
When: 30 Oct 19 19:00
The Ulster unionists won’t put up a candidate to run against Dodds
By:
Angoose
When: 30 Oct 19 19:03
The incoming leader of the Ulster Unionist Party is coming under increasing pressure on his stance over a unionist electoral pact.

Steve Aiken has said that his party will stand candidates in all 18 Westminster seats set to be contested on December 12.

However, DUP MP Jeffrey Donaldson claimed the stance will mean a "unionist dogfight", and warned this could risk unionists losing seats to Sinn Féin.

Unionist rival the Traditional Unionist Voice (TUV) said agreed unionist candidates in certain constituencies was a "no-brainer".

A unionist pact saw Ulster Unionist Tom Elliott win the Fermanagh South Tyrone Westminster seat in 2015. However, Sinn Féin's Michelle Gildernew won the seat back for her party in 2017.
By:
lfc1971
When: 30 Oct 19 19:05
The new leader of the Ulster unionists will be told what to do
they won’t put a candidate against Dodds
By:
lfc1971
When: 30 Oct 19 19:06
imo
By:
pa lapsy
When: 30 Oct 19 19:12
All the same to them anyway,they (dup) went against the wishes of the majority,sure they will have their hardcore,but a wake up call to most,they have nothing, Boris and the English nationalists showed them what's what.
By:
lfc1971
When: 30 Oct 19 19:13
ps I don’t think the Ulster Unionists are worried about the DUPs stance on a border in the Irish Sea
They agree with the DUP that wasn’t acceptable
So Brexit is nether here nor there when it comes to that
By:
lfc1971
When: 30 Oct 19 19:14
The DUP are the largest party in N Ireland pl
And then the Ulster Unionists as well agree with them
By:
lfc1971
When: 30 Oct 19 19:18
Angoose seemed confused in the op
By:
Angoose
When: 30 Oct 19 19:28
What's confused about posting facts?
By:
lfc1971
When: 30 Oct 19 19:32
Nothing
By:
peckerdunne
When: 30 Oct 19 20:09
can see plenty of protestants voting tactically to remain

Finucane will top
By:
keen leader
When: 30 Oct 19 20:30
Finucane has little chance of unseating Dodds this time. in effect, I make Dodds a 1/9 shot.

There are realistically only 3 seats in the mix in Northern Ireland.

The most likely one to change is the one on Foyle where if the SDLP run a half decent campaign they will wrestle back their historic seat from Sinn Fein.

The second close contest will be Lady Hermon v the DUP in North Down. The DUP have been chipping away at her base in the last ten years and she is now very vulnerable, if anything I would favour the DUPer in this contest.

The third seat with a question mark is South Belfast, DUP/Pengally took the seat last time from SDLP. Although she has only about 30% of the first preference, as the sole Unionist in the race and with SDLP, Sinn Fein, Alliance and Green all slicing and dicing the rest of the vote, unless there is a pact(highly unlikely), then Pengally holds on.
By:
peckerdunne
When: 30 Oct 19 20:39
Fair enough kl, i was under the impression that many on the ground,quietly,unimpressed with his position, and Arlene's stance.
By:
mukdahan
When: 30 Oct 19 22:17
John Finucane is popular in the area i could see the seat being taken by him, Sinn Fein are excellent at getting there voters out and with it being held in December alot of Dodds older supporters may not get out to vote will be alot closer than you think.
By:
lfc1971
When: 02 Nov 19 15:22
Let’s hope the good people of N Ireland and north Belfast remember the disgraceful behaviour of the republican Sinn Fein in helping the changes in law over abortion , against the wishes of their people ( and indeed the Protestant people )
By:
MALAY
When: 02 Nov 19 15:53
What Unionist party is currently running all the drugs and prostitution in the 6 counties ? I know it changes hands regularly.
By:
lfc1971
When: 02 Nov 19 16:22
deary me, more dishonest reporting from our Irish friends
I can assure you there is no unionist party involved in prostitution or drugs
Don’t believe them , no , no don’t believe that sort of nonsense
By:
lfc1971
When: 02 Nov 19 16:26
Now here are the facts , republican Sinn Fein allowed and helped the introduction of the new abortion laws in N Ireland
Remember that Catholic people in N Ireland , in North Belfast
Don’t forget that
By:
MALAY
When: 02 Nov 19 16:27
Of course they are ya fool, they are up to their necks with numerous loyalist murder gangs, in fact many are ex members, who terrorised their own communities to fill their pockets, they were worse to their own thick orange walk followers that the provisionals ever where. The whole thing loyalist fighting the IRA was a sham to protect their criminal enterprises.
By:
lfc1971
When: 02 Nov 19 16:29
I suggest you fk up about the loyalists , that’s got nothing to do with you
And worry more about the terrorist murderers Sinn Fein voted into power by the republicans  , thanks
By:
MALAY
When: 02 Nov 19 16:50
The truth hurts ! you know what these scumbags done to their own communities, everybody knows, the DUP and the rest of the loyalist parties have always been inextricably linked to death squads, (UVF,LVF,UDA, red hand commandos) who peddled muck to their own communities and ran prostitutes of both sexes.

Btw Republican Sinn Fein and Sinn Fein are 2 different organisations and I agree Sinn Fein were behind abortion change throughout Ireland and I also disagree with that stance too.
By:
lfc1971
When: 02 Nov 19 16:56
Malay don’t try that sh1te , Sinn Fein and the provisional IRA are the same thing
Now no ones fooled , they were responsible for the murder of innocent men women and children
Both n N Ireland and in Britain
Now they have been voted into power  , stop preaching
When people who do that start to preach something within me starts to laugh , and jeer
By:
MALAY
When: 02 Nov 19 17:57
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/brexit/dup-held-series-of-meetings-with-loyalists-to-discuss-eu-exit-specifics-38595153.html
By:
MALAY
When: 02 Nov 19 17:59
"Sinn Fein and the provisional IRA are the same thing"

in the past they were, not now, Mary Lou has no IRA background, the war is over and so is the other activities, has been for a good while.
By:
lfc1971
When: 02 Nov 19 18:13
Really ? That doesn’t impress me , I insist on being unimpressed by that
I suppose that’s progess , As long as she respects the democratic referendum and doesn’t threaten violence
By:
MALAY
When: 02 Nov 19 18:44
so you are not impressed that the PIRA Don't exist anymore in any shape or form ? well can't help you then, you seem a strange individual.
Good luck, I'm out.
By:
sageform
When: 02 Nov 19 18:45
For once I would be cheering them on so long as they don't take up their seats.
By:
lfc1971
When: 02 Nov 19 18:51
That’s what happens when you try to discuss things with the Irish and republicians , No I  m not impressed that that Sinn Féin / IRA stopped bombing and murdering innocent men women and children
No Malay I don’t think they deserve a pat on the head for that , sorry
By:
lfc1971
When: 02 Nov 19 19:00
You see there is a difference in being glad that the bombings and murder has stopped
And being impressed with the bombers and murderers who have stopped bombing and murdering

Too difficult to understand Malay ?
By:
MALAY
When: 02 Nov 19 19:18
you started it we finished it.
By:
lfc1971
When: 02 Nov 19 19:23
Hmmm , I feel how little that concerns me , the world doesn’t revolve around the Irish
Try and behave ,and try and understand that
By:
pa lapsy
When: 02 Nov 19 19:53
You seem to have a very unhealthy attitude though re the Irish,almost bordering on an obcession,even in the rugby when they got knocked out you lost the run of yourself.
The dup might keep you in the EU,be grateful.
By:
lfc1971
When: 02 Nov 19 20:07
Now now pl , I’m sure all Ireland was supporting England todayHappy
By:
pa lapsy
When: 02 Nov 19 20:15
Most people would be for the team that played best, nice bit of karma you are getting tho,green and gold schooled you today and the dup changing sides(lol).
Malay was bang on in his posts and whether you are simply on the wind up,it is academic,you will never acknowledge facts and that is your fallacy.
By:
lfc1971
When: 02 Nov 19 20:20
You see here we go again
Here’s a little fact for you pl ....
Most peope in Ireland would not be for the team that played best , they wouldn’t give two hoots about that
Stop talking sh1te !
By:
pa lapsy
When: 02 Nov 19 20:25
Yes,maybe you are right, when people like yourself start banging on and on,they would be secretly deep down delighted you got stuffed.
By:
pa lapsy
When: 02 Nov 19 20:27
In fact if every English person was like yourself they would be roaring for SA.
By:
lfc1971
When: 02 Nov 19 20:28
Grin there now , that’s better   I prefer people to be honest
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo