Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
jumper3
16 Jun 19 11:38
| Topic/replies: 715 | Blogger: jumper3's blog
Who'd have thought. Getting name recognition as well. 'Boris' 'Rory'.

I think he will survive on Tuesday. Going to be a tight call though. He's certainly vocal whether it is social media or mainstream. If anything, we'll be hearing more of this fellow. Might be wise for Boris to offer him a government role.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 11  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 11 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 435
By:
aaronh
When: 16 Jun 19 12:14
Where's his extra votes coming from?
By:
InsiderTrader
When: 16 Jun 19 12:37
Rory wants parliament to pass the May/EU Treaty.

If they dont he wants a citizens assembly. If that assembly comes back recommending 'no deal' or a refrendum he will ignore it.

So his only solution is May's Treaty.

May 2.0.
By:
1st time poster
When: 16 Jun 19 12:57
mrs mays treaty will be whsat boris is offering,him and rory have  something in common they,ve both voted for mays deal,
been 2nd to these devious,motley crew is not a badge of honour,for the sake of trying to keep his job,the awful ,horrendous hancock,him on the back of a campaign of pro business is now backing[ allegedly ] fooook business boris,they have no shame let alone brains
By:
edy
When: 16 Jun 19 16:29
My father, who was wounded on the Normandy beaches, often repeated Aristotle’s line that true courage was the middle point between cowardice and foolhardiness. He insisted that it came from the ability to face reality.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/09/rory-stewart-if-we-want-change-we-have-to-face-reality-conservative-leadership

True
By:
edy
When: 16 Jun 19 16:33
He said: ”How is Boris going to deliver Brexit? He keeps saying 'I am going to deliver it'. I don't even know what he believes. He won't talk to me. He won't talk to you. He won't talk to the public.

"We want to know what he believes. The real problem with politics is a problem of trust.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tory-rory-stewart-plans-ring-16526011

true
By:
edy
When: 16 Jun 19 17:25
Tory leadership hopeful Rory Stewart has reached out to Nigel Farage by saying he wanted to work with the Brexit Party so the UK could exit the European Union.

Parliament had to “find a route” to deliver Brexit, he told Mr Farage during an appearance on his LBC radio show “which is why I want to make an offer to you.”

“You represent such an important part of this debate,” he said.

He added: “The fact you actually lead us out of Europe in the first place puts you in a very important position in this. We need to find a way, as a party, of reaching out to you. Not only to you, I also want to reach out to trade unions and other people in this country who care our economy … but we must reach out to you and bring you in to try to work out how we crack this.”

Mr Stewart said he was frustrated with his fellow Tory leadership candidate Boris Johnson because “he just keeps asserting again and again that he’s going to leave on October 31st and he never tells us how he's going to do it.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/rory-stewart-nigel-farage-brexit-party-conservatives-lbc-tory-leadership-a8960881.html

true
By:
politicspunter
When: 16 Jun 19 17:41
He is the best candidate by far. He has shown that in the current deadlock, the only way to break it is to include everyone to try and find a way forward.
By:
PorcupineorPineapple
When: 16 Jun 19 17:52
No, no, no

we must carry on exactly as we've done for the last 3 years. We're GREAT BRITAIN goddammit, Britannia rules the waves and the result of the referendum clearly states that 48% of the country should be excluded from having any sort of opinion on the future direction of this country.

We've got Europe just where we want them and a bit more bluster and sloganeering should get us a deal every bit as good as our current membership terms but without paying any money or allowing any pesky foreigners in.

You just need to believe harder.
By:
1st time poster
When: 16 Jun 19 18:33
I firmly believe the erg have given up their so called holly grail of their pur Brexit in exchange for a hard right pm and hard right cabinet and boris will try to get mrs mays deal through,wont be the 1st time but don't be surprised to see the likes mrs may and tory rewmainers.moderates voting against her own deal to prevent hard righyt cabal taking over the tory party,still leaves them fURfilling their promises of leaving the EU
By:
tanglefoot
When: 16 Jun 19 18:56
Defeatist,and Ch 4 have loaded the debate with Stewart fans clapping evertime he opens his mouth, laughable
By:
tanglefoot
When: 16 Jun 19 18:58
Pity the lefty media is so bias,but it shines thru evertime
By:
PorcupineorPineapple
When: 16 Jun 19 19:00
He's just much, much smarter at connecting with an audience than the others. They all feel like dinosaurs from the House of Lords in comparison. Just the same old sloganeering. "I'm going to be tougher than you in delivering Brexit". Because what we need is toughness, not rationality.

He cuts through it easily.
By:
PorcupineorPineapple
When: 16 Jun 19 19:04
Listen to the rest. Same plummy accents. Honestly not sure I could tell them apart if I didn't see the screen. Just the same beige blandness that they believe plays well to the well off pensioners who will decide their future. The same lack of details. The same attempts to simply use your time to get a slogan in that will play well on youtube or on a ten second clip on the news.

Stewart is already the star of this. From being a nobody a few weeks ago he's now the face of this campaign. Everyone has an opinion on him. That's quite a feat.
By:
tobermory
When: 16 Jun 19 19:08
"he wants a citizens assembly. If that assembly comes back recommending 'no deal' or a refrendum he will ignore it."

Are any of his defenders gonna explain how we get past this bit ?
By:
Angoose
When: 16 Jun 19 19:13
Provides an interesting insight in to the likely bunfights at cabinet meetings, some more able to manage their emotions than others.
By:
PorcupineorPineapple
When: 16 Jun 19 19:14
I personally think it's a good idea cosmetically.

We need to get past this logjam. Parliament can't solve brexit and we've proven referendums are a pretty stupid idea. So, say you're doing something in between. And then simply ensure it bends to your will and gives you the answer you want. Not that difficult to do.

That then gives you legitimacy to back your desired path and go back to Parliament to say this has the backing of the public as it stands right now with all the facts on the table, not a half-blinkered view from 3 years and 2 prime ministers ago.

It's bullsh!t clearly. But politically not at all stupid.
By:
edy
When: 16 Jun 19 19:20
If people in the citizen's assembly really look at the situation with reason and rationality, look past deadlocked and entrenched party politics, the only logical recommendation they can come up with would be to give Parliament a mandate to pass the withdrawal agreement (or one with the first version of the backstop where there'd be checks between NI and GB). No need to worry about any other scenarios. Happy
By:
edy
When: 16 Jun 19 19:28
In the leadership contest people will basically have the choice between a bunch of irresponsible scharlatans that will leave them further disappointed and disillusioned with the political class, or someone who tries to put just a bit more rational and responsibility back into politics.
By:
edy
When: 16 Jun 19 19:34
Of course it's a foregone conclusion with those two choices. People suck and will always choose the irresponsible charlatan tha they'd rather have a beer with while he promises them utopia before he scoots off to the Bahamas, making you pay the bill.
By:
RacingCert
When: 16 Jun 19 19:43
Rory .., so humble.

The new mahatma.
By:
edy
When: 16 Jun 19 19:45
I know, right?
By:
Chemosabe
When: 16 Jun 19 19:54
Typically biased Channel 4 audience - not a Tory voter among them. Clapping Florence of Romania every the gimp opens his mouth.
By:
InsiderTrader
When: 16 Jun 19 20:01
Irrelevant 'debate'.

Boris right to turn them down.

Rory sounds like a nice guy but not the solution to strong Brexit requiring Tory membership.
By:
politicspunter
When: 16 Jun 19 20:16
I was following the debate comments on another site. Three tory members all said they were changing their vote to Rory if he gets to the last two.
By:
MartinK
When: 16 Jun 19 20:22
Wasn't there already a Citizens Assembly back in 2017 - https://citizensassembly.co.uk/brexit/about/
By:
edy
When: 16 Jun 19 20:25
Was a crap citizen's assembly

KEY POINTS

• The Citizens’ Assembly on Brexit made
recommendations on the UK’s post-Brexit policies
for trade and migration.

• On trade, it preferred a bespoke UK/EU trade
deal and a customs union that would allow the
UK to conduct its own international trade policy
while maintaining a frictionless UK/EU border.

• On migration, it voted to retain free movement of
labour, but with the UK government exercising all
available controls to prevent abuse of the system.

• If a deal cannot be reached in negotiations
on trade, it preferred to stay in the Single Market
and Customs Union to no deal at all.

• The 50 Members of the Citizens’ Assembly on
Brexit were selected randomly to reflect the
socio-demographic characteristics of the
broader population and their vote in the Brexit
referendum in 2016, so included more Leave
than Remain voters.

• During their first weekend together, the Members
heard from diverse experts and received
balanced briefing papers vetted by a mixed
Advisory Board.

• During the second weekend, Assembly Members
deliberated and reached decisions. They were
supported throughout by professional,
independent facilitators.

• Feedback from Assembly Members provides
strong evidence of the fairness, balance and
quality of the Assembly process.

http://citizensassembly.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/CAB-summary-report.pdf
By:
edy
When: 16 Jun 19 20:31
With a deal now on the table, the situation is updated anyway. Why not let a bunch of citizens talk it out while the parliamentarians and upcoming PM are enjoying the sun of Nice?
By:
MartinK
When: 16 Jun 19 20:32
aaronh asked: Where's his extra votes coming from?

In the "conservativehome" web site survey before the first round of voting Stewart was 2nd on 11% (Boris 53%), which he credits with getting the extra votes he needed to get through the first ballot  with 19(18 other mps). It will be interesting to see if conservative home  do another survey, and whether he will get better than 11% (18-25 would be useful).

That may well change a few minds.

If he's ever seen as a future leader his ranks will soon swell with prospective cabinet wannabes!!
By:
treetop
When: 16 Jun 19 20:33
Kicking myself for not lumping on Rory after my mate was praising him a month ago saying he was the dark horse in the election to succeed Mother Theresa.Could have laid off for a healthy profit by now.
By:
tobermory
When: 16 Jun 19 20:33
Britannia rules the waves and the result of the referendum clearly states that 48% of the country should be excluded from having any sort of opinion on the future direction of this country

So if it had been 52-48 Remain, would the remainers have been seriously considering trying to renegotiate our membership terms to placate the minority ?

It would have been "We Won, we are remaining, End Of."
By:
edy
When: 16 Jun 19 20:35
Then when they come back from their well-deserved holiday, the parliamentarians will have gotten the message, through the EU Parliament elections and the fresh citizen's assembly, that they better get it done and pass Meaningful Vote XLII (or so) already.
By:
treetop
When: 16 Jun 19 20:40
Do you live on the forum edy, a massive 205k posts in just over 12 years ?? I used to think donny was prolific but that is mind boggling impressive mate.
By:
edy
When: 16 Jun 19 20:41
I do
By:
1st time poster
When: 16 Jun 19 20:43
boris wants to be pm no interest in leading tory party,so when this like mrs may all goes belly up withy any combination
no deal
vote of no confidence
2nde reff
deal erg.dup don't like
deal moderates ,remainers .dup don't like
etc
boris aint going to hang around in opposition,coalitions etc so can see rory as tory leader this time next year
By:
sofiakenny
When: 16 Jun 19 20:54
Even so still gets Eton to 20..or 21Sad
By:
impossible123
When: 16 Jun 19 21:22
He's humble and he talks sense; he's also a thinker and a communicator; he's also different from the other stereotypical politicians on the platform. But, I think everyone except Raab came across well - I think the inexperience of Raab showed.

All in all a civilised and good-humoured debate by all the candidates no doubt would be very different if Bojo was there.
By:
n88uk
When: 17 Jun 19 09:21
Can't help but it's all just people have got carried away by him coming across as less of a loon than the others on TV, media generally taken him quite well, but it's only because he's a good speaker, keeps attacking Boris and the others fantasies as undeliverable which a lot of people share the belief of. The problem is this won't win the leadership challenge as those with the final vote are in the loons category. Though I guess maybe he can get into the last 2 which would explain 2nd fav.
By:
n88uk
When: 17 Jun 19 09:24

Jun 16, 2019 -- 12:33PM, 1st time poster wrote:

I firmly believe the erg have given up their so called holly grail of their pur Brexit in exchange for a hard right pm and hard right cabinet and boris will try to get mrs mays deal through,wont be the 1st time but don't be surprised to see the likes mrs may and tory rewmainers.moderates voting against her own deal to prevent hard righyt cabal taking over the tory party,still leaves them fURfilling their promises of leaving the EU

This is actually the only way you can see them achieving Brexit through this parliament, that they spin May's deal as totally new deal under Boris and con enough numbers on board. I thought this for a while but problem is too many seem to be talking against the deal as the problem in the Boris camp to make me fully buy it.

By:
1st time poster
When: 17 Jun 19 09:25
its a farce the odious hancock spent 2 weeks lambasting foook business boris now obviously threatened by private pike over his health sec job,backs boris, farce
Page 1 of 11  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 11 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com