Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
unitedbiscuits
02 Feb 19 16:19
| Topic/replies: 15,765 | Blogger: unitedbiscuits's blog
https://news.sky.com/story/nissan-casts-further-gloom-on-car-industry-with-x-trail-blow-11625885
Pause Switch to Standard View Bad news from Nissan
Show More
Report donny osmond February 3, 2019 7:04 PM GMT
no its a worse position

its even worse than mays deal, hence even rees mogg making efforts to avoid it
Report donny osmond February 3, 2019 7:07 PM GMT
you can continue in transition for 5 years rather than
wreck your economy

if you cant do a deal in 5 years then consider no deal
Report Foinavon February 3, 2019 7:15 PM GMT
Worse in some respects from a purely trading point of view with them since the EU is protectionist for certain goods. Better in all other respects. I posted a list of the disadvantages of May's agreement somewhere a little while ago, probably on one of melv's threads. JRM wants improvements to May's deal, he is a moderate, I'm not.
Report unitedbiscuits February 3, 2019 7:19 PM GMT
More anti brexit nonsense with no named sources. - this has aged well.

Oh, it's Insider Trader.
Report donny osmond February 3, 2019 7:22 PM GMT
if you think rees mogg is moderate then you are rather in a minority.
Report Foinavon February 3, 2019 7:31 PM GMT
Yes, I know.
Report yajyaj February 3, 2019 7:32 PM GMT
Did someone say Transition for 5 years, with all four freedoms, wtf I'd take a 2nd referendum over that
Report Foinavon February 3, 2019 7:33 PM GMT
But I'm not alone as you see.
Report donny osmond February 3, 2019 7:42 PM GMT
its easy to isolate the country but its going to hurt.

leaving in an orderly manner and getting a good deal in 5 years
will do little harm, and if its a good deal , nobody will want to rejoin

if you harm the country with no deal you will risk losing brexit
Report Foinavon February 3, 2019 7:56 PM GMT
If we get a good deal and you have to trust the politicians of at least two administrations not to do a U turn or set up a **** referendum. Another five years of toxic brainwashing from the MSM, project fear, legal challenges and all the dirty tricks in the box from the Treasury and civil service would attempt to rip the Brexit sails to shreds. That would be five extra years of uncertainty for business and the rest of us for sure.
Report Foinavon February 3, 2019 7:58 PM GMT
rig ged (don't see why that is a banned word).
Report donny osmond February 3, 2019 8:14 PM GMT
a bad no deal is surest wat to second ref, and no need to rig that..
Report donny osmond February 3, 2019 8:18 PM GMT
and you would have left on 29th match or soon after, so a u turn would not be possible
it would just be transition....if things were going badly in talks then no deal would kick in

if things are so great after leaving you would have no worries about a second ref somewhere down
the line to rejoin the eu
Report PorcupineorPineapple February 3, 2019 8:19 PM GMT
People are going to be campaigning to re-join the EU from April this year. That is just a simple fact. Crashing out, food and medicine shortages, jobs lost and a Parliament willingly taking the worst possible option will see a monumental move for a referendum to re-join very quickly before any more damage is done.

This isn't going away. Brexit will be in the crosshairs for the next ten years at least. Best thing the loons can do is slip out as quietly as possible, disentangling ourselves in increments rather than just a sudden jolt that flags up to everyone what they've done.
Report moisok February 3, 2019 8:22 PM GMT
but you are leaving the country so what interest do you have in promoting

only drizzling negative garbage from you - following your eu masters' propaganda

good bye
Report moisok February 3, 2019 8:23 PM GMT
you lot constantly talk down uk plc  I don't know why you hate this country so much
Report moisok February 3, 2019 8:26 PM GMT
you enjoy yourself in your new country
Report Foinavon February 3, 2019 8:28 PM GMT
I think that's the Mogg and Gove position. Make sure we leave in some fashion on the 29th and negotiate a better position as far as possible. Mogg still objects to the backstop in its present form as it will make negotiation a nightmare since it could be used to hold us to ransom. Others hold that the WA gives away our strongest cards before trade negotiations begin, in particular the 39 billion which is a mighty big persuader.
We would also be vulnerable to changes in EU laws and trade policies which we could not influence.
I take your point though and would detest no Brexit as would much of the electorate.
Report donny osmond February 3, 2019 8:34 PM GMT
the backstop just allows a shorter transition whilst maintaining the good friday agreement

its a bit of a committee solution to a problem better addressed in other ways
Report Foinavon February 3, 2019 8:41 PM GMT
I expect a compromise will be reached and it will go down to the wire. We shall see.
Report donny osmond February 3, 2019 8:57 PM GMT
indeed, an interesting two months ahead
Report 1st time poster February 4, 2019 9:45 AM GMT
think the arguments lost when well known erg members francois,the polish named fella,torygraph etc seemed to have given up talking about any benefits from leaving the EU and returning to fighting the germans in world war 2 and anti german sentiment , D DAY LANDINGS , no surrender etc,they sound more like pished up football hooligans in magaluf before a world  cup game,than serious mp,s
Report unitedbiscuits February 4, 2019 9:49 AM GMT
Like it 1st time poster, post of the week so far.

Peston is a very well connected commentator and he had this to say this morning: Why @theresa_may’s cabinet expect her to announce within a few days that she will ask the EU to delay Brexit https://www.facebook.com/1498276767163730/posts/2270029333321799/ …

I'd like to run a blood pressure check on some of the boys on here when we push back the March 29th deadline!
Report unitedbiscuits February 4, 2019 9:59 AM GMT
Incidentally, the "polish named fella" is paid by a secretive US gold-investor disaster-capitalist billionaire, who gives him a kickback of £6,000 a month.
Report moisok February 4, 2019 2:17 PM GMT
a bit like all the remain mps etc who get plenty of dosh from the eu  ho hohoho
Report bigpoppapump February 4, 2019 2:51 PM GMT
there's some naive BS on here.  Leave and 'negotiate' from there?

Negotiate with what? 

We massively weaken our position and also do massive damage to the EU.  Think this is going to create some sort of halcyon cosy negotiation?

These people are INSANE (or more likely, retired.  With no skin in the game is nice and easy to talk about whole industries - of which you are entirely ignorant - and 'solutions' for the new reality faced from March 29th).

We are in a mess.  We have confused a 3 word slogan with a workable policy.  Now we are going to pay for our stupidity.  Starting (but not ending) with manufacturing.  Any industry which relies on physically moving or making actual tangible things is about to enter a new reality.

Get stocked up and keep your fingers crossed.  We are all in this terrible mess together, so let's not blame each other when it bites.  Remainers shouldn't blame the misguided Leave voters for their votes and Leavers shouldn't get frustrated that their slogans are not policies.

Good luck if you work in a vulnerable industry, or FS or IT or the public sector.  If you're retired, have the decency to pipe down a bit.
Report lfc1971 February 4, 2019 2:59 PM GMT
We’re closer to Europe than Japan and Australia , unfortunately : (
That’s all you need to know
Report Dr Crippen February 4, 2019 4:17 PM GMT
There's quite a bit more of this Brexit hysteria to come from the bad losers between now and when we leave.

And as the desperation sets in, we see project fear increasingly becoming project farce.

Just what is it about UK democracy and self governing that they don't like?
Report Foinavon February 4, 2019 4:17 PM GMT
We have become accustomed to condescending, abusive, ageist posts from bigpop and he doesn't disappoint.

His insane rants are more a source of amusement than of enlightenment. He would do well to pipe down himself.
Report Foinavon February 4, 2019 4:28 PM GMT
Exactly Dr. Crippen.
Report donny osmond February 4, 2019 4:35 PM GMT
project farce....

indeed,
Report pa lapsy February 4, 2019 4:45 PM GMT
Don't know how far £80 million goes in the car factory business,still, when that much of a bribe is turned down and they decide to leg it,it makes you wonder.
Report unitedbiscuits February 4, 2019 4:49 PM GMT
Patrick Minford always said that Brexit would devastate manufacturing in the UK.
It's a bit rich for Brexit-champions now to act like dogs surprised by their own farts.
Report Foinavon February 4, 2019 4:51 PM GMT
There's no future in sinking new capital in the X-trail which is a failing concept due to impending legislation on large diesel engine cars. It doesn't matter how much sweetener was offered.
Report Foinavon February 4, 2019 4:53 PM GMT
Do you think that if we cancelled Brexit Nissan would change their mind?
Report donny osmond February 4, 2019 4:54 PM GMT
what about the others leaving uk because of project farce
Report Dr Crippen February 4, 2019 4:55 PM GMT
As Foinavon says,
It's no good producing cars they can't sell no matter how big the bribe.

Production of cars has declined by 10% worldwide, diesels have been hit the hardest.

Brexit isn't the reason they're not expanding.
Report Foinavon February 4, 2019 4:58 PM GMT
So nobody ever relocated before the Brexit referendum was even announced?
Report Dr Crippen February 4, 2019 4:58 PM GMT
What others little Donny?
Report pa lapsy February 4, 2019 4:59 PM GMT
@ Me Foinavon?

I don't know to much about the car industry tbh.
I would imagine any nissan car for the EU cannot come from the UK,it is going to be dearer than if from EU.
Report donny osmond February 4, 2019 5:00 PM GMT
so close uk automotive developement so rest of work can share out the 90%
between themselves whilst we brexit?

sounds like a good un for your project farce
Report Dr Crippen February 4, 2019 5:03 PM GMT
I would imagine any nissan car for the EU cannot come from the UK,it is going to be dearer than if from EU.

If they can give Japan tariff free trading then why not the UK?
Report lfc1971 February 4, 2019 5:04 PM GMT
We don’t know how much a Nissan built in UK will cost , until we start to discuss trade deals
Report Dr Crippen February 4, 2019 5:04 PM GMT
Little Donny wants to close the lot down now.

Don't worry it's not going to happen.
Report pa lapsy February 4, 2019 5:05 PM GMT
With respect Dr C, wouldn't the whole thing have just trundled on if the Japs thought that?
Report unitedbiscuits February 4, 2019 5:05 PM GMT
There are some straws in the wind about Nissan making the X-trail (petrol) in France. It's logical if they use a Renault engine. Would be the crowning misfortune for Nissan UK though.
Report Foinavon February 4, 2019 5:06 PM GMT
Lots of things affect selling price pa lapsy. Tariffs (if any), transport costs, manufacturing costs largely dictated by wages and taxes on employment, exchange rates, investment costs (if you have to set up manufacturing elsewhere).It remains to be seen by how much each of these will be affected by Brexit.
Report donny osmond February 4, 2019 5:07 PM GMT
another argument you are conceding by being abusive crippen

why spit the dummy out everytime you are shown up?
Report lfc1971 February 4, 2019 5:10 PM GMT
It’s important to get through the WA stage , and then concentrate on the real issues
Too much stalling from remainers I’m afraid
Report donny osmond February 4, 2019 5:11 PM GMT
afraid of project farce?
Report Foinavon February 4, 2019 5:12 PM GMT
Let's see if it materialises UB. Would you buy one? I thought they were rioting about petrol prices in France, how much would it do? 16 mpg perhaps for such a heavy car.
Report pa lapsy February 4, 2019 5:13 PM GMT
Thanks Foinavon, please don't go down my throat here,i have no motive but would the sweeping statement of "will the UK be a "toxic" place for foreign companies to invest in after brexit" fair?

I know it could be answered as who knows,personally i think the goverment up to this point should have done better to stop any UK based company jumping ship.
Report Foinavon February 4, 2019 5:14 PM GMT
I see Donny has learnt a new catchphrase. How exciting!
Report 1st time poster February 4, 2019 5:15 PM GMT
there been made in japan for export back in to  the EU, whats the difference in costs between an hr on a ferry to eu and shipped by sea from japan to EU MUST BE AN ASTRONOMICAL DIFFERENCE,
Heard yesterday korea is a big market for uk cars ,but it takes 6 weeks by sea for transport, 6 weeks compared to 12 hrs from sunderland to EU
Report unitedbiscuits February 4, 2019 5:15 PM GMT
Daimler Benz for me, Foinavon.
Report politicspunter February 4, 2019 5:17 PM GMT

Feb 4, 2019 -- 10:58AM, Dr Crippen wrote:

What others little Donny?

Usual personal abuse from Crippen.

Report politicspunter February 4, 2019 5:18 PM GMT

Feb 4, 2019 -- 11:04AM, Dr Crippen wrote:

Little Donny wants to close the lot down now.Don't worry it's not going to happen.

Usual personal abuse from Crippen.

Report lfc1971 February 4, 2019 5:18 PM GMT
It doesn’t matter much if it takes 6 weeks to transport as long as if someone wants to buy one it’s in the showroom and they don’t have to wait 6 weeks , I magine that’s how it is
Report donny osmond February 4, 2019 5:19 PM GMT
x trail does more than 40mpg
Report Foinavon February 4, 2019 5:20 PM GMT
The UK will always be a good place to do business. We have an educated workforce, competitive labour laws, low corporation tax, good infrastructure, finance, property rights and a trustworthy legal system. A change of government would have more relevance to some of these than Brexit.
Report donny osmond February 4, 2019 5:21 PM GMT
maybe i should complile a list off abuse from crippen and cry about it on chit chat

or just accept when hes being being abusive its because he has lost the argument

hey ho,
Report Foinavon February 4, 2019 5:21 PM GMT
Petrol engined x-trail?
Report donny osmond February 4, 2019 5:21 PM GMT
of
Report donny osmond February 4, 2019 5:23 PM GMT
petrol engine xtrail does 50+ mpg
Report politicspunter February 4, 2019 5:23 PM GMT
This is a politics betting forum. Crippen doesn't bet, can't count, can't do percentages and knows nothing about politics. All he comes on here for every day is to spout personal abuse at posters.
Report donny osmond February 4, 2019 5:24 PM GMT
sorry 40+ is petrol, and 50+ diesel
Report 1st time poster February 4, 2019 5:31 PM GMT
as an aside your hardly going to buy,order something now that could leave these shores under one set of rules ,tariffs and by the time it reaches its destination the goalposts have been moved
Report donny osmond February 4, 2019 5:35 PM GMT
we will surely continue to manufacture goods in the uk that will
comply with the markets they are to be exported to.

any change is an occupational hazard for an exporter
Report Foinavon February 4, 2019 5:46 PM GMT
OK, I thought it was a bigger car than that. My 2 litre petrol Mondeo does about 20 mpg urban.
Report 1st time poster February 4, 2019 5:57 PM GMT
if we leave under no deal treasury has said for 12 months customs willjust waive everything through and companies do the paperwork within 24 hrs,how does this square with leaving under wto rules where everything by law has to be stopped and checked, also if eu goods go unchecked everything else in the world wil have to come in unchecked so they arnt discriminated against
take back control of our borders has become open borders to everyone ,brexiteer,s have joined Schengen,imagine campaigning on this in the  reff, LaughLaugh
Report 1st time poster February 4, 2019 5:59 PM GMT
right lads you,ve got a free 12 month pass for the bacy,booze,human trafficking,AK 47, run,ENJOY LaughLaughLaugh
Report macarony February 4, 2019 6:10 PM GMT
Tony Blair offer of 60 million to save Ryton was turned down due to the pound was 40% more expensive than the euro. Long before Brexit
Report donny osmond February 4, 2019 6:18 PM GMT
staggering comments about no customs at uk ports for 12 months

taking back control LaughLaughLaugh
Report 1st time poster February 4, 2019 6:21 PM GMT
back door into Schengen hoping eu arnt looking, TAKE BACK CONTROL LaughLaugh
Report donny osmond February 4, 2019 6:45 PM GMT
Nissan will be forced to reapply for nearly £60m of taxpayer support after backtracking on
a promise to build its X-Trail SUV in Sunderland.

A letter from the government to Nissan, written in 2016, revealed that the Japanese carmaker
would only get the money if it made the car in the UK.

The government clarified that Nissan had received just £2.6m of the funds, but would have to
reapply for the rest.

Business Secretary Greg Clark said the X-Trail would have created 741 UK jobs.

But he told the House of Commons that Nissan had committed to building its Qashqai,
Juke and Leaf models in Sunderland, where it employs 7,000 workers.

Mr Clark also said: "While the decision was made on broader business grounds, Nissan commented
on the need for us to come together and resolve the question of our future trading relationship with
the EU. I believe their advice should be listened to and acted upon."

In the 2016 letter from Mr Clark to Nissan's then chief executive Carlos Ghosn, he said the funding
was contingent "on a positive decision by the Nissan board to allocate production of the Qashqai
and X-Trail models to the Sunderland plant".

Nissan had originally asked for £80m in state support, but following a review by an independent advisory
committee, that figure was reduced to £61m.

A spokesman for the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy said Nissan has been given
£2.6m and would have to reapply for the remaining £58.4m.

On Sunday, when Nissan announced its decision not to build the X-Trail SUV in Sunderland, the firm's
Europe chairman, Gianluca de Ficchy, said that "the continued uncertainty around the UK's future
relationship with the EU is not helping companies like ours to plan for the future".

The government had to clarify its position after Business Minister Richard Harrington told the BBC that
Nissan would get the £61m support payment

Mr Harrington told BBC Newcastle: "The £60m still stands. It's to do with research and development and
developing alternative technologies and making sure Nissan is at the forefront of that.
"This was nothing to do with the X-Trail."
Report donny osmond February 4, 2019 6:46 PM GMT
they simply havnt got a clue what they are doing!
Report politicspunter February 4, 2019 6:49 PM GMT
Richard Harrington sounds like a dick.
Report PorcupineorPineapple February 5, 2019 10:26 AM GMT
Still amuses me that some people think Labour would be worse than this lot.
Report yajyaj February 5, 2019 11:21 AM GMT
I suspect Nissan and others would have shut up shop in 2017 under a Corbyn Government
Report politicspunter February 5, 2019 11:23 AM GMT
Why?
Report yajyaj February 5, 2019 12:03 PM GMT
I doubt they could be competitive given the envisaged pay rises/even further improved workers rights
Report politicspunter February 5, 2019 12:05 PM GMT
Are you saying Labour would have awarded the Nissan employees a pay rise?
And are you also saying that a Labour government would have improved the Nissan workers rights?
Report donny osmond February 5, 2019 12:10 PM GMT
maybe the labour government would pay the £60 million
directly to the 7000 workers rather than sign a deal with ghosn?
Report yajyaj February 5, 2019 12:12 PM GMT
Ohh yes sorry, I'v just read it back, what a fool I am
Report macarony February 5, 2019 12:27 PM GMT
I must have missed this on the BBC
https://www.theengineer.co.uk/swedish-electric-car-maker-uk-production/
Report unitedbiscuits February 5, 2019 12:37 PM GMT
Story from 25th October 2018 9:24 am
macaroney
Report donny osmond February 5, 2019 12:41 PM GMT
have the rught wingers set their minions off to post that on other forums

twice in a few hours seems a remarkable chance on a forum chatting about
nissan for several days already
Report donny osmond February 5, 2019 12:42 PM GMT
right wingers
Report macarony February 5, 2019 12:55 PM GMT
Not everybody on the politics forum views the chit chat and vice versa. anyway what are is your opinion on this new electric car?
Assuming you have a genuine interest in the subject and not just one of those people who are using the car industry to bolster the political views
Report donny osmond February 5, 2019 1:02 PM GMT
its on crippens thread on politics forum!
Report macarony February 5, 2019 1:08 PM GMT
take a look at the chit chat thread yesterdays car I posted it earlier today, I didn't see the other thread on the politics forum.
Report lfc1971 February 5, 2019 1:12 PM GMT
Please no more money should be wasted on Nissan , let Nissan remain until they decide to leave
But post Brexit put tariffs on Japanese cars coming into the U.K. when they leave
and nationalise the factory in Sunderland and build new British cars with a British workforce
Report macarony February 5, 2019 1:15 PM GMT
That could well end up happening, the global car industry is finished in its present form, just too many problems to overcome.
Report bigpoppapump February 6, 2019 2:31 PM GMT
if your posts make it clear you have no grasp of what you are talking about, then pointing that out is more respectful than to patronise you by discussing your idiotic ideas as if they have merit.

do not be confused: that you have an opinion does not make you an expert.  You are doing massive damage with this ignorance.
Report lfc1971 February 6, 2019 3:03 PM GMT
There’s another little bit of wisdom from bigpop : (
Report moisok February 6, 2019 5:34 PM GMT
our burgeoning economy roles on - more people employed  IN WORK  get it!!!

despite ALL  the WRONG predictions from every supposed expert platforms

IMF on of the worst

they want to see brexit fail and have said as much in relation to the france etc dragging us down with them!!!!  did you know thaT?
Report moisok February 6, 2019 5:34 PM GMT
rolls on
Report PorcupineorPineapple February 7, 2019 3:04 PM GMT
First in a series of right wing articles of how every long standing UK industry was already at death's door and their decline was nothing to do with brexit.

Stay tuned chumps.

Next week: why fresh food is bad for you and you should eat more Wotsits.
Report treetop February 9, 2019 6:26 PM GMT
I am wondering how many apologies we get when Brexit happens and Proyect Fear is shown to be the damp squib it is.
Report yajyaj February 9, 2019 8:49 PM GMT
Wonder no more, you'll get fvkall
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com