Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
unitedbiscuits
02 Feb 19 16:19
| Topic/replies: 15,876 | Blogger: unitedbiscuits's blog
https://news.sky.com/story/nissan-casts-further-gloom-on-car-industry-with-x-trail-blow-11625885

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 151
By:
InsiderTrader
When: 02 Feb 19 16:28
More anti brexit nonsense with no named sources.
By:
Foinavon
When: 02 Feb 19 16:52
"The X-trail is made exclusively in Japan"

Might the new EU/Japanese trade deal have something to do with it? Why make the investment when you can import into the EU tariff free?
By:
treetop
When: 02 Feb 19 16:59
No doubt any world recession will be implied on Brexit by biscuit brain.
By:
Dr Crippen
When: 02 Feb 19 17:58
UB's anti-Brexit thread No 202.
By:
moisok
When: 02 Feb 19 19:31
have you seen the state of the eu???   teetering!!!
By:
bongo
When: 02 Feb 19 20:07
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/uks-new-petrol-and-diesel-car-ban-could-be-enforced-2030

There's not much point in investing in building something that MPs, MSPs and MLAs want to ban in 10 years time. The X-trail comes in petrol and diesel only.
The latest story this weekend is projection from those afraid to leave the EU.
By:
bongo
When: 02 Feb 19 20:20
Correction - a hybrid X-trail will be available soon. However:

From the FT

"The X-Trail is a large sport utility vehicle, the biggest passenger vehicle made by the Japanese group, and it had planned to make diesel models in the UK."

There's no point investing with diesel sales already plummeting. Entirely a non-Brexit story.

I suppose sucking landowners off means Biscuits has little time for cynicism.
By:
PorcupineorPineapple
When: 02 Feb 19 21:11
Let's be honest, this isn't a surprise. Businesses, particularly car manufacturers, would be affected badly by a no deal.

I get the feeling some of them have just ran out of patience with this country. They want certainty and sensible policies and we're going out of our way to do the opposite.

I'd expect another bit or two in the next week about how a firm is now considering its options. If they can influence policy then they will.
By:
donny osmond
When: 02 Feb 19 21:51
are they going to make the vehicle?

would it be good if it was built in england in their most productive plant?

could we export them if we made it here?

might have nothing to do with brexit, or may have

still another blow to the groin for ne england
By:
dave1357
When: 02 Feb 19 22:26
PorcupineorPineapple • February 2, 2019 9:11 PM GMT
Let's be honest, this isn't a surprise.

Its a surprise to Insider Trader despite being told that this would happen by the only economists who favoured hard brexit.
By:
lfc1971
When: 03 Feb 19 01:49
It’s a car , everyone in the world knows how to build a car it’s not difficult
Tell Nissan to leave , put tariffs on all foreign cars , build our own cars and buy british
If you don’t want to do that pipe down about the poor car workers , thanks
By:
macarony
When: 03 Feb 19 07:37
I have been a follower of the car industry for many years; I can honestly say I have never been more pessimistic about the future of the world auto industry.

Greater automation in the manufacturing process = job losses

Electric motors replacing petrol/diesel = job losses

Our relationship with car ownership set to change = industry devastation on a global scale.

Self driving cars, any company backing the wrong tech and they are finished

Who would want to be in the car business today?
By:
yajyaj
When: 03 Feb 19 08:30
More rubbish, this time aimed directly at the North, we are now observing the final deep gasps of a dying man
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 03 Feb 19 08:46
Will the bar-staff at the William Jameson be putting out the Brexit bunting this lunchtime?
By:
yajyaj
When: 03 Feb 19 09:03
Please be patient, there's still 54 days to go
By:
1st time poster
When: 03 Feb 19 09:55
if its about diesel cars turn it around why was our government offering sweetners and money to a company to produce environment unfriendly cars Laugh
By:
yajyaj
When: 03 Feb 19 10:15
Not sure we ever really established what she said to them, my guess is "If it starts to look like Brexit is getting the upper hand, please make up a story about not going to produce a failed concept model in Sunderland"
By:
donny osmond
When: 03 Feb 19 13:09
its not losing a failed concept model that is main problem is it?

its lack of investment in an established business that happens
to be their flagship for the efficiency of their workforce.

add to that dyson has hinted that his electric motor cars will
be based out in the far east too

brexit or not, its a massive blow to this country.

you can argue all day long about why they are going, but
its the losses that hurt this country, and losing out in
this new technology development can only get worse as
the old industry is phased out.

its not as if we havnt seen it happen before with other
industries, and it seems like we are too stubborn to learn...

just blame somebody else, rattle a few sabres, ..blame corbyn,
brexit, or noel edmunds...
By:
PorcupineorPineapple
When: 03 Feb 19 13:38
We know the lesson by now.

Tories couldn't give a sh!t. They're a million to win seats they're anyway so they're not their people.

But the only important thing is that they can blame it on someone else. We are gearing up for recent history to be re-written and the EU to get the blame.
By:
donny osmond
When: 03 Feb 19 13:46
very short sighted of tories to allow it to happen in england

the effects will one day accumulate but i guess they will have shifted themselves
away from this country by then.

heaven help the next country they choose to asset strip
By:
flushgordon1
When: 03 Feb 19 13:54
Overall rating
What Car? says... two star  and there's the main reason ,its sales are not meeting expectations.
https://www.whatcar.com/nissan/x-trail/4x4/review/n51
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 03 Feb 19 13:57
It's been a journey.
From "Brexit means Brexit" to "Brexit has nothing to do with Brexit."
Nice work, Leavers!
By:
1st time poster
When: 03 Feb 19 14:11
imho
my reason for voting leave was a uk jobs 1st policy,with the new immigration bill its more and more immigration but with our blessing ,our decision
long gone has boris,s Singapore on thames, unregulated fight to the bottom, free for all
everyone now agree .s in the short to midterm we,ll be worse off as a country,50 years according to rees mogg
leaves us with soveriegnty ,so in a 2nd reff the leave sell would be
we,re going to be worse off for the forseable future with more immigration but we,ll be the ones imposing it on ourselves not the EU
not much of a vote winner is it but views are that entrenched it would probably win anyway, Sad
By:
donny osmond
When: 03 Feb 19 14:25
we will be back in much before 50 years is up
By:
macarony
When: 03 Feb 19 15:05
When the euro was worth around 60p none of the Japanese car companies move out of the UK, so this decision is more to do with the EU and Japan signing a trade deal, they could be considering shipping petrol/hybrid cars from Japan.

Anyway I think this is all academic because I don’t see the auto industry surviving in its present form, kids today are not interested in cars like they were when I was in my 20s, they are more interested in their smart phone and are quite happy to use public transport, bike or walk.  Let us see what the next 10 years brings?
By:
Foinavon
When: 03 Feb 19 15:40
If it was anything to do with Brexit they would switch the investment to an EU member state. They are not doing that and said they will invest in Japan.
Sales of Diesel SUVs are in decline, I doubt they ever seriously intended to make the investment here but talked about it at strategic times. Carrot and stick, the motivation?
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 03 Feb 19 16:09
Good timing Foinavon, Nissan have just issued a statement.

Nissan said it had taken the decision “for business reasons” but cited the impact of Brexit, saying: “The continued uncertainty around the UK’s future relationship with the EU is not helping companies like ours to plan for the future.”
By:
macarony
When: 03 Feb 19 16:15
So why build in Japan instead of the EU for a car they plan to sell in the EU?
By:
macarony
When: 03 Feb 19 16:16
And a car that is now being built in Spain last time I checked Spaon was in the EU
By:
Foinavon
When: 03 Feb 19 16:29
The uncertainty will soon be over if we just leave on the due date. Adopting May's surrender document will mean many more months of fruitless negotiations and more clamouring for unsavory options promoted by remain. The best course of action is clear.
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 03 Feb 19 16:37
Leavers desperate to get Brexit over the line before it all turns to s**t.
By:
Foinavon
When: 03 Feb 19 16:45
Not at all, we want an end to the uncertainty which has been going on for far too long and we want politicians to deliver what they promised. Good for business, good for democracy.
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 03 Feb 19 16:51
Suspicion is that there is a lot more business bad news being held back by non-disclosure agreements and a "wait and see" reticence. Hopefully the Nissan news will encourage others to speak out about their concerns.
By:
donny osmond
When: 03 Feb 19 17:04
if we leave with no deal or leave on mays deal or mays deal plus.....

we will still then enter into negotiations for a trade deal, that will
likely take 5-7 years

after we have done a deal we will have some certainty

if we leave on no deal the pressure will be such that may will have a worse hand
for these negotiations.

if we left on a deal of remaining in customs union and free trade she would have
a hand she could play to whatever advantage she wished.
By:
yajyaj
When: 03 Feb 19 17:11
Donny, thanks to flush you now realise it is a "failed concept", but lets not dwell lets look at the positive..... No job looses, so the new model would have required new people, we are told we have pretty much full employment (of those prepared/able to put in a shift), my concern would have been 1. where were they going to get the additional people ! 2. where were the addition people going to reside ! 3. what if the new people required medical attention ! 4. which schools were the new peoples children going to !........ your welcome
By:
politicspunter
When: 03 Feb 19 17:20
I am sure there would have been plenty folks available for a Nissan job in the north east.
By:
donny osmond
When: 03 Feb 19 17:20
1 north east england
2 north east england
3 existing facilities within north east england
4 see 3

cheers
By:
Foinavon
When: 03 Feb 19 17:36
Trading outside the CU and single market with our own tariff list gives a good deal of certainty. HMG can then negotiate FTAs with the EU and others for as long as it takes.
By:
yajyaj
When: 03 Feb 19 17:45
Must admit I'm not too familiar with the North East, my views are generally formed from the Labour lot complaining about the nasty Tories reference, Nhs waiting lists,housing shortage,classroom overcrowding etc, I'll direct the next dinghy dwellers up your way, thanks for the insight :)
Page 1 of 4  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com